Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I wish I could just whitelist numbers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
It is pretty funny we’re more than likely going to have this weird anomaly of the population that used computers primarily in the 80s-2000s that are hyper competent, but anyone younger or older will be complete idiots.

Cerebral Mayhem
Jul 18, 2000

Very useful on the planet Delphon, where they communicate with their eyebrows
I'm trying to learn the Hindi for "You're a liar and you bring shame to your family." Or maybe something worse.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

HD DAD posted:

It is pretty funny we’re more than likely going to have this weird anomaly of the population that used computers primarily in the 80s-2000s that are hyper competent, but anyone younger or older will be complete idiots.

It will likely be corrected in the future again. Right now people still assume "kids know computers". A country wide solution is going to be from standardized tests that are federally mandated that test computer skills. Before that is most likely it's going to be on a school by school basis so if you have kids ask your school what they are doing to teach your kid computers for the work place.

By corrected in the future I mean when a generation goes to get a job and everyone realizes none of them can use a desktop and this needs to be taught at school. 2030-2040s are going to be really fun.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

pixaal posted:

It will likely be corrected in the future again. Right now people still assume "kids know computers". A country wide solution is going to be from standardized tests that are federally mandated that test computer skills. Before that is most likely it's going to be on a school by school basis so if you have kids ask your school what they are doing to teach your kid computers for the work place.

By corrected in the future I mean when a generation goes to get a job and everyone realizes none of them can use a desktop and this needs to be taught at school. 2030-2040s are going to be really fun.

arent the ppl in charge of these things the ones that cant use computers to begin with and also the ones that just assume children are born with the knowledge of these things

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Statutory Ape posted:

arent the ppl in charge of these things the ones that cant use computers to begin with and also the ones that just assume children are born with the knowledge of these things

That really depends but you don't need to be able to use a computer to understand you need to teach them to use one. Companies will not be happy about the workforce not knowing how to use a computer. Companies will lobby to teach computers in school. That's how the country works, money basically writes law, which means we need to get these computer illiterate people into the work force and piss off companies enough to lobby. There's going to be a lot of unemployable people, and because they can't use a computer they can't even do YouTube streaming for income.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

pixaal posted:

That really depends but you don't need to be able to use a computer to understand you need to teach them to use one. Companies will not be happy about the workforce not knowing how to use a computer. Companies will lobby to teach computers in school. That's how the country works, money basically writes law, which means we need to get these computer illiterate people into the work force and piss off companies enough to lobby. There's going to be a lot of unemployable people, and because they can't use a computer they can't even do YouTube streaming for income.

based on how america as a whole seems to compare to other countries idk if the capitalism model of education is really working all that great tbh

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

my dog died im sad posted:

I give my social security number to anyone who asks for it.

what's your social security number?

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

I am weary of loitering about Britain. There is much we could be accomplishing! Where hast thou been, anyway?
Friend of mine was the person in charge of a tech support call training class for a company in Austin. They had some one sit down on the first day of training and get upset that they didn't have an imac. They refused to work on the PC and were promptly fired.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

pixaal posted:

Alternately, as the upcoming generation becomes the majority of the workforce, the tools they use will change over to UI that has tablet centered design.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Klyith posted:

Alternately, as the upcoming generation becomes the majority of the workforce, the tools they use will change over to UI that has tablet centered design.

yeah

the reality is, microsoft has been trying and failing at this for years already.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Klyith posted:

lmao

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

I use my phone's call screening service, op

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Klyith posted:

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

Sponge Baathist posted:

I used to frequently and nowadays it's every other year get calls from human beings trying to order Chinese food. My number was printed years and years ago on a Chinese restaurant menu a couple of towns over. After I started to expect the calls I'd be ready to answer with my worst racist caricature of a Chinese person and just either take their order or tell them that the head chef has really bad diarrhea. At least once I just took the order and told them to pick it up.

It was real bad I wouldn't put on that impression around anybody but sometimes life just really wanted me to be the guy who answers the phone at the Chinese place.

It was also a missed opportunity to get stranger's credit card numbers.

We used to get calls pretty regularly for someone named Wu when my sister and I were kids. I, the nice one, would politely tell them they had the wrong number. My sister would shout "WU WHO? WOOOOOO-HOOOOOOOO!" and laugh and hang up.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

your sister sounds cool gimme her number so i can scam her

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

Our IT department at head office regularly send out fake fake emails to see if staff click on them. If they do, they get invited to an online course on IT security and scams to improve their awareness.

A couple of months back the same department sent out an email asking for everyone's desk extension phone number to update records.

No one would click on it.

The follow week there were several other emails with 'please answer the survey we need this information' with increasing urgency. I found the whole thing hilarious, they were only doing what they were trained to and deleting the email.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

deported to Canada posted:

Our IT department at head office regularly send out fake fake emails to see if staff click on them. If they do, they get invited to an online course on IT security and scams to improve their awareness.

A couple of months back the same department sent out an email asking for everyone's desk extension phone number to update records.

The follow week there were several other emails with 'please answer the survey we need this information' with increasing urgency. I found the whole thing hilarious, they were only doing what they were trained to and deleting the email.

poetry tbh

also those workplace surveys can go suck my dick

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Mine does this as well, but it is obvious which ones are the scams because it has a big giant [EXTERNAL] at the beginning of the subject line. The ones that come from inside the office or corporate don't have that, but people still delete them anyway to be safe I guess.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

HD DAD posted:

I was thinking about something like this the other day. In middle school in the early 2000s me and my buddy would go to NewEgg or TigerDirect or whatever and just make sweet builds with our lawn mowing money. He figured out how to hack his own version of Windows. Just good old fashioned internet and computer stuff that kids these days just don't get down with, lol.

oh also I've got like 7 robocalls today from Officer Gale telling me I'm in deep poo poo

friendly 2 da void
Mar 23, 2018

HD DAD posted:

this is really out of touch imho. coding classes and esports are a thing in high schools now. computer literacy is much more widespread now than it was when most goons were growing up.

i'm sure the percentage of "dumbass kids who can only use an iphone" in 2019 is lower than the percentage of "dumbass kids who can't turn a computer on" was in 1999

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
I worked with a guy who got scammed by some Ukrainian scammer. She talked him into wiring about 1000 usd to her, and even said that she would be flying into the usa to be with him. This guy drives hours to meet her at the airport, and he finds out all the flight info was fake.

He brought flowers even.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Rad-daddio posted:

I worked with a guy who got scammed by some Ukrainian scammer. She talked him into wiring about 1000 usd to her, and even said that she would be flying into the usa to be with him. This guy drives hours to meet her at the airport, and he finds out all the flight info was fake.

He brought flowers even.

At least it wasn't a printer

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

EorayMel posted:

At least it wasn't a printer

Oh poo poo

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I get 4 to 5 a day. It's driving me nuts but I'm glad I'm not alone. It's a recent thing too; even three years ago I only got two or three a year. Fortunately Google has gotten good at identifying spam calls so my phone doesn't actually ring when they call; unfortunately the phone still gives a pop up notification when I'm getting one

Even Ajit "actually deregulating telecom is good and cool" Pai got it through his thick skull to give phone companies a (weak, noncommittal) ultimatum

kalel fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Mar 19, 2019

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

I just got a new thing, send a call to voice mail 2 seconds later another number calls repeat. On the 6th one I picked up because gently caress it this has to stop. I apparently owe "a lot" of money in taxes. I asked who he wanted to speak to "whoever owns this phone" I asked who that was "tell me who you are and I'll tell you if you are who I need to speak with this is confidential" I hung up.

Calls again send to voice mail 3 more times, next 2 he leaves 2 voice messages I pick up the next one. I ask about the number changing "That's how you know I'm with the IRS" oh okay I hang up.

I just let my phone ring while I set up a noise box. We have a janitor closet with a few dozen old computers "just in case". I plug every fan I can into one along with 6 mechanical drives. I put my phone inside this abomination and pick up and set it to speaker.

15 minutes 32 seconds.

This guy really wanted to scam me. A strategy like that is probably going to get some people that normally wouldn't fall for scams. Coworkers opinion was "just report them" to who? and also there isn't any way to track this poo poo. Also that wouldn't stop my phone from ringing and I want to use it to listen to an audio book in 10 minutes on my ride home.

John Oliver did a fun segment about this a few weeks ago where he set auto-dialers to call the FCC every 90 minutes Please support implementing the changes that were made decades ago that would allow this poo poo to go away.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
It's fun when scamers spoof your number, so you get threatening voicemails and text messages from people demanding that you stop calling them.

I also enjoy the 9PM calls from the Fraternal Order of Police robot asking for 10 dollars to donate to the dead cop fund.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Hello, we have urgent information relating to your car insurance. We have tried to contact you several times and will not call again. This could have legal consequences, so please stay on the line.

Hello, we have urgent information relating to your car insurance. We have tried to contact you several times and will not call again. This could have legal consequences, so please stay on the line.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I like the ones that open right out the gate with some variation of "do not hang up the phone" because it's a surefire, 100% indication that you should hang up the phone.

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

Tell the person you've been suicidal since you lost your spouse and then slam a hardcover book onto a hard surface. Through the phone, it sounds like a gunshot.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Won't even faze most of them. They'll just ask if anyone's there a few times and hang up, or if someone else picks up the phone to try and continue the act they'll usually just start the scam right back up again. They are pretty much impossible to rattle, anything you can think of to upset them/view you as another person and not a sentient bag of google play cards will just go in one ear and out the other.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

My favourite response to scam calls is Lenny: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kUllT-qoeg

After listening to many Lenny calls, I have come to care deeply about this forgetful old robot, his many ducks, and his sometimes turbulent relationship with his daughters.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

i mean this is incompetence in and of itself, how can they not know what everyone's desk phone numbers are?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Hammerite posted:

i mean this is incompetence in and of itself, how can they not know what everyone's desk phone numbers are?

I work for a massive corporation the IT department has no idea where I sit. the office that I'm assigned to is part of my employee information but my desk is managed at a much more micro level and subject to change

Also things like cubicles and offices are usually under the jurisdiction of a company's facilities team

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

Statutory Ape posted:

I work for a massive corporation the IT department has no idea where I sit. the office that I'm assigned to is part of my employee information but my desk is managed at a much more micro level and subject to change

Also things like cubicles and offices are usually under the jurisdiction of a company's facilities team

Pretty much this, we are a big company based over different countries with our own IT and facilities departments at each site. People move all the time and tend to just put their new extension number in their email. After a while you will find that all the information on the exchange server is just flat out wrong. Not a problem if you can just go and speak with the person you want, but customers must get pissed off when they call the reception trying to speak to someone before being bounced around lots of people before being told 'well they work here somewhere we think but gently caress knows what their number is'

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

What?! Extensions should move with the person that is the only sane thing.

I move the phone because it's easier than switching the phone assigned to the extension, I also move the computer. Sure everything is setup so people can sit at any desk they want they can even log into the phone and override the usual extension for 8 hours. Hardware is assigned to a user. That user is responsible for reporting issues with that hardware. I've been at a few places and it's always set up this way.

Do some industries really not assign hardware? Is this an open office thing? I've actively avoided open offices.

Mustached5thGrader
Oct 1, 2011

My mother won't let me grow a goatee.
I had one tell me my computer got hacked and was giving me instructions to get on my computer.

He asked me if I saw a certain button and i said “I don’t! I I I don’t see anything! What happened?!”

He got concerned and asked me if there was anyone that could help me and I hung up and he called right back

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

pixaal posted:

Do some industries really not assign hardware? Is this an open office thing? I've actively avoided open offices.

That's how it is here, you don't get assigned hardware and the extension can't be changed using management software, only by manually re routing the telemetry wires. I have worked places where change request forms are submitted to IT so they update it all for you. But not here.

Its fair to say there are some arsehole and elbow recognition skills missing.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Mustached5thGrader posted:

I had one tell me my computer got hacked and was giving me instructions to get on my computer.

He asked me if I saw a certain button and i said “I don’t! I I I don’t see anything! What happened?!”

He got concerned and asked me if there was anyone that could help me and I hung up and he called right back

press the four flag window key left bottom corner key bored

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

That's how it is here, you don't get assigned hardware and the extension can't be changed using management software, only by manually re routing the telemetry wires. I have worked places where change request forms are submitted to IT so they update it all for you. But not here.

Its fair to say there are some arsehole and elbow recognition skills missing.

Oh are you still using POTS instead of a VOIP solution for phones? I thought POTS was dead at this point. [Plain Old Telephone System][Voice Over IP]