Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
 
  • Post
  • Reply
roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!


Angry Hippo posted:

Decade later with no intervention and I'm still alive. Tests weren't needed.
It sounds like your view of medical intervention in general is similar to mine, but you have a slightly more paranoid view of it as bill padding, where I think it's more somewhere between rear end-covering and offering the best possible care. It's unfortunate that that sort of thing often comes across as a recommendation rather than as an offer, but I can see that it's tricky (especially with the general public) to be clear like "there's about a 2% chance that its cancer, a 3% chance that it's something else that needs treatment, and a 95% chance that it'll be fine if you leave it alone, the tests will cost $X and have a Y% chance of themselves causing additional complications, and in the event that the test reveals it's cancer there's a Z% chance that it's a false positive, and the cost of treatment for cancer is $Q, and the chance of spontaneous remission if it's cancer is P, and cancer left alone averages X discomfort and Y lifespan while cancer treated averages Q discomfort and V lifespan, etc. etc. etc."

People already see weather forecasts like 80% chance of rain, then if it doesn't rain they're like "ha, the forecast was wrong again!"

I doubt doctors/vets even know these numbers, let alone have the ability to present them meaningfully to a layperson, especially not taking into account surrounding circumstances (ie. what are the odds that a bump shortly after a vaccine at that location is cancer? How are the numbers impacted by age?)

(Now I wonder if pet insurance has stats like these - actuaries seem to be a much better source of this kind of detail than medical people, but I don't know if they have pet actuaries!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • Post
  • Reply