Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
So daybreak put out a thing on twitter about the history of EQ, now that it is 20. It contains a figure that actually made me queasy and physically ill, and I'm pretty well-known around SA for playing videogames entirely too much.

https://twitter.com/everquest/status/1107758395317239808

4,750 days. 4750 days played, on a single character.

This works out to 15.6 hours a day, every day, for twenty years. Y I K E S

SA already has an EQ1 thread and I haven't played that game in almost 15 years so I wouldn't even know how to steal its thunder, but I don't want to, but some of these numbers are so loving insane-bonkers they don't deserve to be confined to that quiet thread. I'm blown the gently caress away here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Probably way over half that time is spend standing AFK in a guildhall / Plane of Knowledge. Not all that impressive.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

Oh ok. How many games have you logged into everyday for 20 years, then?

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
None because there are better games to play with the people I've known for 20 years than modern day or TLP Everquest.

Of the 5 I did spend in game EQ, probably 2 of that was easily Plane of Knowledge and Bazaar.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

So zero, then. That's what I thought.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Yeah you got me. Clearly my MMO Vita needs work.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

If you spend 114000 hours in a videogame, and you afk half of it, that's still almost 60000 hours you didn't.

I happen to find that pretty crazy, and I'm pretty crazy myself. I was a serious raider for about 18 years and even to this day I play videogames up to 140 hours a week, sometimes. And this dude has me beat.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Givin posted:

Probably way over half that time is spend standing AFK in a guildhall / Plane of Knowledge. Not all that impressive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqFLXayD6e8

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

I think it's a pretty cool infographic and I agree that guy playing 15 hours a day for 20 years is crazy. However, I'm a nobody. Because you failed to impress forum's poster Givin with this thread I'm going to have to insist you leave MMO HMO and never come back. Never come back.

Richard Cabeza
Mar 1, 2005

What a dickhead...
I used to play on that server and tharkis was parked in PoK, in front of the tranquility portal, facing the stone. Logged in probably 24/7, for what purpose I have no idea

Flunky
Jan 2, 2014

I wonder when they started counting for that Fippy kill number, it seems low.

:goonsay:

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

Ad by Khad posted:

[...]I play videogames up to 140 hours a week, sometimes. [...]
When do you sleep? In the remaining 4 hours you've got every day?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I had no idea Everquest still existed but apparently they've been releasing new expansions this whole time? Jesus.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

Wipfmetz posted:

When do you sleep? In the remaining 4 hours you've got every day?

yeah usually

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

Pham Nuwen posted:

I had no idea Everquest still existed but apparently they've been releasing new expansions this whole time? Jesus.

I read an interview from someone who worked there who claimed they have more players in 2019 than in 2015

As someone who hasn't touched the game since 2006, I was fairly mind-blown

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon

Ad by Khad posted:

I read an interview from someone who worked there who claimed they have more players in 2019 than in 2015

As someone who hasn't touched the game since 2006, I was fairly mind-blown

FF11 is the same way, where now that it has no more story expansions or story content coming out and only exclusively more endgame the population has gone up.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Richard Cabeza posted:

I used to play on that server and tharkis was parked in PoK, in front of the tranquility portal, facing the stone. Logged in probably 24/7, for what purpose I have no idea

wouldn't be surprised if tharkis is dril

https://twitter.com/dril/status/247222360309121024?lang=en

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
Chapels sold for weddings? The gently caress is that about?
In my day you just petitioned a gm to come officiate it for you :smug:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
lol Most Popular Races

1) Human
2) Elf
3) Elf
4) Elf
5) Barbarian (a race I guess???)

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Chomp8645 posted:

lol Most Popular Races

1) Human
2) Elf
3) Elf
4) Elf
5) Barbarian (a race I guess???)

Barbarians are pretty much just taller humans.

I'm the weirdo who only played Trolls and Gnomes.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I played a Gnome Magician back in the day.

I wouldn't mind a classic Everquest server that was just the vanilla game, but solo friendly for all classes and leveling was faster. I've tried playing Everquest very recently and all of the new content and changes make it super overwhelming and confusing.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I said come in! posted:

I played a Gnome Magician back in the day.

I wouldn't mind a classic Everquest server that was just the vanilla game, but solo friendly for all classes and leveling was faster. I've tried playing Everquest very recently and all of the new content and changes make it super overwhelming and confusing.

You can come play on Mangler. It’s a progression server that just started. It’s currently vanilla and then expansions will release every 3 months.

XP is quicker and there are a bunch of quality of life improvements.

Grouping is still king tho

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

of course the boringest races are the most played.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Who puts out an infographic like that in that resolution? I guess they're assuming that anyone still interested in EQ is probably still running 640x480?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Nipponophile posted:

Who puts out an infographic like that in that resolution? I guess they're assuming that anyone still interested in EQ is probably still running 640x480?

I was able to click through the twitter to get a full sized one. The one in the OP is for ants.

OP that's what you should have posted and by not doing so you have brought shame to your family.

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

I’m personally astonished that warrior is the #1 most played class.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

Chomp8645 posted:

OP that's what you should have posted and by not doing so you have brought shame to your family.

I already put more effort into this thread than poo poo-from-a-butt everquest deserved

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Ad by Khad posted:

I already put more effort into this thread than poo poo-from-a-butt everquest deserved

:eyepop:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Pathos posted:

I’m personally astonished that warrior is the #1 most played class.

i'm also surprised cleric is up there. two of the most boring classes.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
It's been a constant in pretty much every MMO of this style that warrior is always the most picked class. Keep in mind this probably just tracks "literal number of characters created" and not "characters that made it to end game" or even "characters that passed level 10". New players or people just trying out this whole MMO thing will tend to choose something simple, and "hit the enemy with your sword" is a lot simpler to grasp than wizard or Lute Man or whatever for people just trying it out. There are probably thousands upon thousands of warriors who never made it even outside the first few zones played by people who didn't stick around long padding the stats.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I do wonder how many players made it to the level cap in Everquest. Even today it is still really challenging and time consuming.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

Also easily the most in-demand class throughout the majority of the game's life. I dunno what they've done with EXP death penalties over the years, but having a full EXP res back in the day made you hugely desirable.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
250,000+ people completed the J-boots quest. I find that kind of astonishing. I remember chatting with people in South Ro who had been camping that stupid sand giant for days. Did they eventually make it easier or are there really over a quarter million people who are that big a mess?

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

I said come in! posted:

I do wonder how many players made it to the level cap in Everquest. Even today it is still really challenging and time consuming.

Log in at 7am, oh boy it's Velketor's Labyrinth, shout that I am lfg, get myself added to the waiting lists for the groups that have the various camps locked down

Luckily I play a cleric, so I only end up soloing idiot spiders on the bottom floor while I wait for a group for maybe 5 to 30 minutes before getting the call-up

Cool, because I am a friend of the tank I have been invited to the group at Upper Spiders, the best pug xp grind camp in the entire game

I grind mobs in this group from roughly 7:40am until about 4pm, when I decide I could use a break

Start back up at 5pm, same waiting lists all over again, oh boy I get invited to Upper Spiders again

I grind mobs in this group from roughly 5:15pm until I get tired for the day, sometime between midnight and 3am

This routine repeats everyday for 14 days

Congratulations, all this grinding has finally gotten me from level 59 to level 60

gently caress you forever Everquest, also gently caress you 2001 me who decided to do this

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

CoffeeBooze posted:

250,000+ people completed the J-boots quest. I find that kind of astonishing. I remember chatting with people in South Ro who had been camping that stupid sand giant for days. Did they eventually make it easier or are there really over a quarter million people who are that big a mess?

Before they put that quest in, the boots were a regular boss drop from Najena, who would be camped 24/7.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Nipponophile posted:

Before they put that quest in, the boots were a regular boss drop from Najena, who would be camped 24/7.

I did that camp (Drelzna) in 1999. Since the boots were given to the person who had been waiting for them the longest, that naturally meant a long wait. I stayed awake for 20 hours camping the same spot until I got mine. I can't believe I did that.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Groovelord Neato posted:

I'm not surprised at all. Tanks and healers have always been a necessity, even more so for early MMOs. Also not surprised humans are #1, they are almost always a safe pick for class requirements or passive/active skills in MMOs.

I am kind of surprised about the jboots. That's like 6.8 boots per day. Seems kinda low in the early years given how many servers they had and seems kind of high given how many they have now.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

Freakazoid_ posted:

I am kind of surprised about the jboots. That's like 6.8 boots per day. Seems kinda low in the early years given how many servers they had and seems kind of high given how many they have now.

I think in the early days, the min\maxing mindset hadn't really bloomed yet and people didn't necessarily understand the value of certain items. Like yeah you could get Jboots in Najena, but there were tons of druids and shamen to give you sow, which was faster. Even manastones. When the very first person found a manastone, whoever they were, it probably didn't seem as insanely valuable as it became. Hey it takes away some hitpoints and gives me like a pixel of mana in return... kinda cool I guess. So I don't think some items were super heavily farmed until at least a couple months in when they started opening additional servers.

I mean everyone was obsessed with minotaur axes at first I remember... which are kinda trash even by vanilla EQ standards.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The internet was also still very much in its infancy as a social platform back in the EQ days. Finding accessible information about anything was hard as hell for the average player, something helped little by the opaque nature of early EQ's game design. Nowadays, it'd be incredibly surprising to find even a single person playing WoW who doesn't know what WoWHead is, and there's a surfeit of popular websites and streamers who have more information about everything involving the game than you could possibly ever need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
There were waiting lists to get in on jboots groups for as long as I remember, up until the time they took them out. I'm sure there was drama but for the most part I remember it being actually civil and overall generally accepted as the way to go about getting them. Since EQ was just a giant chatroom back then I even remember people just sticking around to help out of group after they got theirs. Then the change happened and most of us scratched our heads as to why. I'm sure it turned into a shitshow as most things do. The ancient cyclops method was garbage and even worse than camping them IMO.

Same with the Guise of the Deceiver. People used to just give that poo poo away and nobody realized how powerful a tool it could be.