Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

American McGay posted:

It's weird how people keep moving the goalposts just to get a dunk in on Stadia when there's like hundreds of things you can make fun of them about. Less than a page ago it was people talking about 200mb indie games and how the only type of game that makes sense for the platform is a AAA graphical powerhouse and then the new AC game gets confirmed for Stadia and people are making fun of it because it's a lovely Ubisoft game (which is correct).

Is it a huge get for Stadia? No, not really. But it's exactly the type of game that Stadia needs to be getting.
It's definitely the type of game Stadia needs to be getting, it's just also something that just brings them up to parity with GFN instead of giving them an actual advantage. Ubisoft's made their entire catalog is available on GFN, including compatibility with uPlay+.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

I was just more interested in the fact that it's coming out for Stadia the same time as PS5, xonex, PS4, PC, etc

Mustache Ride fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jul 12, 2020

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Gobbeldygook posted:

It's definitely the type of game Stadia needs to be getting, it's just also something that just brings them up to parity with GFN instead of giving them an actual advantage. Ubisoft's made their entire catalog is available on GFN, including compatibility with uPlay+.

Yeah this. It's also very funny how excited /r/stadia gets over getting the same games everyone else gets (since that should have been happening from the beginning). And extra funny when they get them later, like Cyberpunk.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
So I still have my free trial for the pro-subscription, and so I decided to give Get Packed a try.

You know, this was one of the games that Stadia and HA were pushing as a big win and a killer app, you know, the kind of game like Overcooked that encourages wacky multiplayer shenanigans.

First off, the game made a bad impression when it didn't accept mouse inputs on the menu. So, I'm just clicking away, and nothing is happening, because that makes sense on your platform that is supposed to be hardware agnostic. I don't mind if a game doesn't have mouse controls, but literally, when the first thing I do at "Push any button" is click and see nothing happen, you know what that tells me?

You didn't loving test your game.

Alright, well no need to belabor the point. So, I get into the actual game, and the keyboard controls are terrible. Here's a quick list - WASD or arrow keys to move, E to take actions, O and P to grab with your hands, T to dash, and space to jump. Oh, and you have to keep holding down O and P to keep a hold of things. I literally couldn't figure out a comfortable way to play the game. Sure, I could hook up a controller, but once again, it's supposed to be hardware agnostic.

Even if I was using a controller, the whole O and P thing just feels really unnatural. The jump controls are even worse. You can't jump again until the jump animation is finished, which isn't horrible in and of itself, but wait - the jump animation includes a long post landing sequence where your legs buckle a bit. So, you try to jump and then jump again, and it feels like buttons are being missed, but no, it's just long rear end animations.

Then I tried the tutorial, and was told to flatpack something, but I couldn't actually figure out how you do it. It said grab and undamaged item with both hands and hold E, and I tried... and nothing happened. I tried doing things near boxes, I tried various things, and none of them worked.

At this point, I decided the game was broken and wasn't worth my time. Throughout the whole of the experience, I really felt like nobody actually tested it, since the issues I found were so obvious, and apparent in about 5 minutes of playing. I couldn't imagine trying to play this with other people. Overcooked worked because you could understand the basic game really easily. You didn't need a long, complex tutorial. You didn't have to use weird button combinations to do things. But this? It's just garbage. Yeah, I only played 5 minutes. I don't need to play more.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

American McGay posted:

It's weird how people keep moving the goalposts just to get a dunk in on Stadia when there's like hundreds of things you can make fun of them about. Less than a page ago it was people talking about 200mb indie games and how the only type of game that makes sense for the platform is a AAA graphical powerhouse and then the new AC game gets confirmed for Stadia and people are making fun of it because it's a lovely Ubisoft game (which is correct).

Is it a huge get for Stadia? No, not really. But it's exactly the type of game that Stadia needs to be getting.

200 MB Indie games aren't what all the stadia heads were losing their poo poo over. It's all the 4k 60FPS games that were going to have***
*that they dont
* at medium settings
*at 30 FPS maybe

a 200MB game takes more to stream an hour of than it does to download and play on pretty much everything including a printer or whatever.

There's some okay games for Stadia, but they just dont' have the pull. Theyr'e missing main features like screen captures, integrated streaming to youtube, family share, poo poo it took them like 3 months to support 4k in a browser, and like 6 months for the controller to be wireless when using a PC. So many of the flagship features haven't been implemented by anyone, I think you can do screenshare with ghost recon breakpoint but there's no real compelling reason to do it, becuase good luck finding another player. Stadia should have released itself after working with a few studios for exclusive games that used some or all of these "awesome" things that stadia could do. Instead it's just a huge wet dripping farrrrrrt.

where's the BR game that can have 100's of players and still deal with physics?
Where's the inde pickup and play / session share thing where you can have someone pick up from your spot right from a youtube stream
Where's the youtube direct stream?
Where's the huge MMO with fantastic graphics you can play anywhere and using the 10.21 Giggaflops of processing power and direct server farm no latency huge servers full of people and persistence?

Like these all sound really great, and got me excited for stadia.. then Farrrrrt you can't even get a screenshot out of stadia without it being a "hack" and a process.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Cemetry Gator posted:

So I still have my free trial for the pro-subscription, and so I decided to give Get Packed a try. .

Alright, well no need to belabor the point. So, I get into the actual game, and the keyboard controls are terrible. Here's a quick list - WASD or arrow keys to move, E to take actions, O and P to grab with your hands, T to dash, and space to jump. Oh, and you have to keep holding down O and P to keep a hold of things. I literally couldn't figure out a comfortable way to play the game

Even if I was using a controller, the whole O and P thing just feels really unnatural. ed, w.

. Throughout the whole of the experience, I really felt like nobody actually tested it, since the issues I found were so obvious, and apparent in about 5 minutes of playing. I.
I haven't played this and probably never will, but those controls sound like the same kind of thing as Surgeon Simulator or I am Bread or Octodad. The awkwardness is the point. I found the frustration overwhelmed the fun in those games but the frustrating controls were clearly intentional and the target audience enjoys it.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

I haven't played this and probably never will, but those controls sound like the same kind of thing as Surgeon Simulator or I am Bread or Octodad. The awkwardness is the point. I found the frustration overwhelmed the fun in those games but the frustrating controls were clearly intentional and the target audience enjoys it.

This isn't going for a Surgeon Simulator vibe, where the awkwardness is the point. Part of the challenge of Surgeon Simulator is that the controls are convoluted and hard, and even doing something as simple as picking up a saw is next to impossible for a first time player.

In this case, it's just that the controls are poorly implemented. Holding a key down to hold something isn't hard to do. The default keyboard controls are done without any regard for where the keys are, which just leads to them feeling random. And it's not like when I hosed up the controls that something hilarious happen like me dropping a saw into the patient. Instead, I just hosed up.

I don't think the audience that enjoys Surgeon Simulator is going to enjoy this game.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Cemetry Gator posted:

First off, the game made a bad impression when it didn't accept mouse inputs on the menu. So, I'm just clicking away, and nothing is happening, because that makes sense on your platform that is supposed to be hardware agnostic. I don't mind if a game doesn't have mouse controls, but literally, when the first thing I do at "Push any button" is click and see nothing happen, you know what that tells me?

Considering how everything else at Google works, usability testing for Stadia exclusives is probably not something that gets much focus. Different department but this month they finally fixed a file visibility bug, 8 years after it was first reported.

Cemetry Gator posted:

Alright, well no need to belabor the point. So, I get into the actual game, and the keyboard controls are terrible. Here's a quick list - WASD or arrow keys to move, E to take actions, O and P to grab with your hands, T to dash, and space to jump. Oh, and you have to keep holding down O and P to keep a hold of things. I literally couldn't figure out a comfortable way to play the game. Sure, I could hook up a controller, but once again, it's supposed to be hardware agnostic.
Can you remap the keys? T sounds like a weird one to me, kinda makes it hard to do a dash while pressing in a direction except maybe when moving up. Or do you not dash while in motion? That makes very little sense. Why not Shift or even Enter, since that's where your pinky finger would be?

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Yo, speaking of Ubisoft games, wasn't some edition of Just Dance supposed to come out on Stadia? Is it out? How does that work?

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Cemetry Gator posted:

I don't mind if a game doesn't have mouse controls, but literally, when the first thing I do at "Push any button" is click and see nothing happen, you know what that tells me?

On a sidenote, I believe the enhanced edition of Divinity: Original Sin has this issue, as well, and it's even more annoying when it's a start screen right before an otherwise perfectly mouse controlled menu :psyduck:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kikas posted:

Yo, speaking of Ubisoft games, wasn't some edition of Just Dance supposed to come out on Stadia? Is it out? How does that work?

As a slow waltz :v:.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Kikas posted:

It's been out, you use the app on a phone to track movements.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Rotten Red Rod posted:

It's been out, you use the app on a phone to track movements.

Yeah you hold the phone in your right hand (left doesn’t work yet that’s coming in a patch) and it detects the movement. *

*Only works on pixel phones

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Don't you need a second phone seperate from the one running the Stadia app to act as the controller, or am I going senile and misremembering things?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The Kins posted:

Don't you need a second phone seperate from the one running the Stadia app to act as the controller, or am I going senile and misremembering things?

Yes.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

The Kins posted:

Yeah but only if you're playing it on the phone itself instead of on a Chromecast or PC, so it's not that weird. You wouldn't want to play it on a tiny phone screen anyway.

MarcusSA posted:

*Only works on pixel phones

Nah I think you can have the Just Dance app on just about any phone and it'll work.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Yeah but only if you're playing it on the phone itself instead of on a Chromecast or PC, so it's not that weird. You wouldn't want to play it on a tiny phone screen anyway.

Nah I think you can have the Just Dance app on just about any phone and it'll work.

I honestly have no idea if you are being serious because I was joking lol

Is it actually a thing? For stadia that is.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yes? It's just how the game works, on every system. It's not a Stadia issue.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Just Dance is really basic on a technical level, the game just needs to be able to track the movements of your right hand. I don't think it measures any other limb. It's why all the dancers are wearing a colored glove on their left hand (your mirror image). Traditionally this meant the Wiimote, but that expanded to include Playstation Move controllers if you had a camera, and then to just needing the camera on PS4 and Kinect on 360/One, and then in 2017 they added a smartphone app so you could just waggle that (an important feature addition since it means the basic version of every console will work without needing to get extra peripherals). I don't even think it measures movements in more than 2 dimensions.

This also isn't the first time Just Dance has dabbled in streaming, since the Just Dance Unlimited service they introduced a few years back as a subscription service just streams videos of routines and the movelists.

All the game does on a technical level is play a video and track the movements of a small circular area and cross-reference that with what the proper move should look like to determine how accurate you are. There's no 3D processing required at all, even. You can even use Just Dance Unlimited on some set-top boxes like Apple TV because there's just no system resources of any significance required. I wouldn't even put it past them if, since the Series X and PS5 will be able to run new XB1 and PS4 software, they don't even make a native build for those platforms, just keep the current-gen version and call it good.

I'm sure internally at Ubisoft they have a super-basic turnkey system for outputting a new Just Dance title on every supported platform, which is likely why they can continue to churn out Wii versions. Internally the game has been the same pretty much forever, and almost all of the effort put into making new versions is just the licensing of the songs and the production of the accompanying dance videos.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

ErrEff posted:

Considering how everything else at Google works, usability testing for Stadia exclusives is probably not something that gets much focus. Different department but this month they finally fixed a file visibility bug, 8 years after it was first reported.

Can you remap the keys? T sounds like a weird one to me, kinda makes it hard to do a dash while pressing in a direction except maybe when moving up. Or do you not dash while in motion? That makes very little sense. Why not Shift or even Enter, since that's where your pinky finger would be?

You can remap the keys, so it's not game breaking, but it just adds to that lack of polish.

And yeah, Stadia has not undergone any usability testing. On the store page, the buy button and the title of the game are beneath the fold. You know, because when you're running a store, what you want to do is hide the thing that gets you money.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ok well I just googled just dance and I was 100% joking about the right hand thing because it sounded ridiculous but I guess that really is how it works.

TIL I guess.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
36 minutes into this Giantbomb Stadia quick look has Jeff Gerstman showing off how the game works and it's well worth a look. The whole thing is, frankly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBFpHPFLbCM

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Lodin posted:

36 minutes into this Giantbomb Stadia quick look has Jeff Gerstman showing off how the game works and it's well worth a look. The whole thing is, frankly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBFpHPFLbCM

One min in and lol.

Stream connect... not steam connect and that’s a shame. Lol

Thanks I’m gonna give this a watch.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

So um how about all those cheap Ubi games. Stadia have em cheap like gfn does?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Just Dance is extremely fun and the unlimited add-on (The streaming platform) adds like 300 more songs and is like a must buy.

Stadia is trash though if they think I want a version I can't use at all when my connection shits out.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
That Stadia Connect thing isn't even a livestream, they just dropped a YouTube video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dl8YpMo72VE

Sekiro on Stadia. Great game but idk how it will play with 200ms input lag.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

American McGay posted:

That Stadia Connect thing isn't even a livestream, they just dropped a YouTube video.

Sekiro: Shadows Lag Twice

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
hm yes let's port the most difficult from game to a platform with inherent quarter second lag

this is gonna go great guys i can't wait

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
gonna be grandfather owl by the time this parry goes through

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

American McGay posted:

So you don't waste 19 mins of your life

OHH poo poo click to play is implemented.. so like you know.. 1 year after they announced it.. SWEETTTTT take that poo poo lovely consoles or GFN
I love "you can play cyberpunk when it is released on stadia" which will assuredly not be anywhere close to

you'll be able to play all the sports games that are on consoles.. and some old ones too! Maybe those sports games wont be poo poo like NBA2k was
HOLEEY poo poo battleryoal bomberman! but at least that 1 stream connect game exists.

Yessss a 5 year old online MMO is available on stadia now! isn't it limited to 30fps tho?

I can also play a 3 year old horror game called hello neighbor that if I wanted to play I most certainly haven't already played 100 times!

Oh boy some indi game of some kind for SERIOUS gamers only

And now some really decent looking game called outriders It'll be limited to 1080 and 30FPS probably though

Nice a 2019 game of the year in 2020 (some samurai game).. coming to stadia in the middle fo 2020! it's going to require button mashing but nothing negative latency will not fix

PUBG is lso super awesome and everyone wants it.. stadia will make it great

HItman is coming in a YEAR so get PUMPT boys it will be surely as awesome on stadia or better than it will be on PC

Harmonx games will be fun because lag has never been an issue with anything from them.. It's not like I need to set my TV's lag when I play games.

Outcaters will be exclusive on stadia for a limited time Another stadia game that's probably 4x the download for each session.

okay I gave up I couldn't watch anymore it was underwhelming me.

Good luck stadia..

Hostile I give up on PC gaming stadia is the FUTURE man.

Hostile can I stream right to YT yet?

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jul 14, 2020

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Lol, Sekiro. Shadows die WAY more than twice with that input lag

That's actually a lot of games announced. I'd say they're finally getting up to par as a platform. Still, gently caress game streaming, and their business model sucks, and it took them a LONG time to get here, but... Sure, I can see someone actually having a decent, varied, fun collection of games with just Stadia now.

I wouldn't ever be that person, as I can't stand even a minor bit of input lag, but... Hey, whatever, I guess some people don't mind.

tater_salad posted:

HItman is coming in a YEAR so get PUMPT boys it will be surely as awesome on stadia or better than it will be on PC

Lol I think Stadia is gonna get Hitman 3 later than the other platforms. They didn't list a release date.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jul 14, 2020

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
Prayer circle that hostile comes back now that his probe is over. This thread just isn't nearly as fun without him even if he's in straight-up shillin' mode. He'll probably bring up that everyone is "moving the goalposts again", while ignoring any and all legitimate criticisms of the platform. It'll be good to have him back. :sigh:

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

lol youtube comments

Edit: more:

[Citation needed]

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jul 14, 2020

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

American McGay posted:

I'm 30 seconds in and gently caress this poo poo. The screen shots they use do not look like that when you play the games.

Like they said on the GB video posted above there is this muddy quality to everything and it's not nearly as sharp as they make out in these videos or screen shots. Its all horse poo poo.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Also! They show people streaming the games but AFAIK that can't be done yet right? Also god drat what the gently caress is up with these people doing these professional videos with poo poo rear end mics!

GET A GOOD drat MICROPHONE!

Fake Edit: It does not look like you can stream to youtube.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Oh then stream connect is going to work well then?

So great that one of the cool features for stadia is um.. still dead in the water.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

tater_salad posted:

Oh then stream connect is going to work well then?

So great that one of the cool features for stadia is um.. still dead in the water.

No you see now a streamer can add the #stadia tag to their youtube stream and you can click a URL and launch the game!

Now that is a feature!

Literally clicking a URL is a feature.

Stadia - saving you the time of clicking twice.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

No you see now a streamer can add the #stadia tag to their youtube stream and you can click a URL and launch the game!

Now that is a feature!

Literally clicking a URL is a feature.

Stadia - saving you the time of clicking twice.

BUT YOU CAN PLAY INSTANTLY* **

*if you already own the game in your library

** this will never happen for me because I have more than 1 google account and every time I go to play RDR on stadia I need to tell it what account it's associated with as it's not my "main" google account because stadia is the greatest thing in the world.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jul 14, 2020

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Google signs exclusive Stadia game deals with Rock Band and Until Dawn developers

Only took them one year to sign major exclusives! The console of the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Lol, Sekiro. Shadows die WAY more than twice with that input lag

That's actually a lot of games announced. I'd say they're finally getting up to par as a platform. Still, gently caress game streaming, and their business model sucks, and it took them a LONG time to get here, but... Sure, I can see someone actually having a decent, varied, fun collection of games with just Stadia now.

I wouldn't ever be that person, as I can't stand even a minor bit of input lag, but... Hey, whatever, I guess some people don't mind.

I really don't think they're up to par. Last year's games at last year's prices? Their timed exclusives are all small indie games that look to be a dime a dozen, and don't do anything to make Stadia useful.

Is getting Hitman 1 and 2 really a big get for Stadia? Who are they selling to? The mythical person who's into games but not into owning hardware?

This is what happens when people who don't understand gaming run a gaming platform.