Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Flayer posted:

Love when it flashes through the different environments and they are literally all barely distinguishable sand levels. I wonder if development was curtailed early?

I do have fond memories of that Pixeljunk tower defense game on PS3 back in the day but Raiders doesn't look like anything special.

The pixeljunk guys aren't a big studio, so I'd expect the move from 2d to 3d to also come with simplification and compromises. I'm rooting for them, but boy that trailer is not much to write about. "Do video game things!" Yeah, but what is special or unique about your game?

(I have had a general feeling that most stadia exclusives are the result of indie studios looking at their progress, having some doubts, and grabbing that google money back when google was desperate. They got some recognized studios and some ok games, but nothing so far that I thing being a stadia exclusive was a mistake. Every one of them, I'd take guaranteed money over the potential popular-success upside if I was the one getting paid.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

I'm looking forward to Google eventually being able to implement a search feature on this platform.
Very exciting to be on the edge of such a tech revolution in the making.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Why Stadia isn’t going anywhere... posted:

Hello fellow Stadians!

I am asking for your assistance. I’m going to be putting together a YouTube video discussing my experience with Stadia and how it has positively impacted my life and has gotten myself back into gaming. However, this video wouldn’t be truly effective if the community wasn’t part of it, so I decided to shift this video.

I’d like to interview anyone. If you’re older and haven’t gamed in years but Stadia has brought you back to the gaming community, I want to share your story.

If you’re a busy father who doesn’t have time for a traditional console, but Stadia allows you to feel like a kid again and game when available, etc. I want to share your story.

Also, any girls who game that have been impacted positively by Stadia! Please come to the front of the stage. I’m sure there are some in the Stadia community as well that have been positively impacted by Stadia. I also want to share your story!

This is meant to be diverse, so all interviews are welcome. No matter what.

I want to interview you guys for this YouTube video and really show those out there just what beautiful moments have happened because of Stadia and it’s (small, but effective) community.

Any story is a good one, so please if you’re interested in helping....reach out to me. I believe in Stadia and the stories I’ve read on this Reddit alone have been amazing to hear. Unfortunately, I don’t feel Google is pushing the right kind of marketing to make it sell, so I want to do that?

Now, these interviews would be via Zoom or Skype simply for the authenticity of the video and to emphasize the realism because me just reading your story to a video won’t have as much impact.

This will be my first video on my Gaming Channel, so I want to be a great one.

Thank you all for your time & I look forward to hearing from you.

quote:

Hi!

I'm game!

A Busy father who finds more game time thanks to stadia, can play modern games without upgrading the OG PS4, and let my gaming 5 year old play games as well (Though he mostly plays on his Switch for now).

PM me if you want to and we can set something up through Discord, Zoom, Teams, Meet or whatever else works best for you.

quote:

Used to game all the time. While becoming a father of four, my game time slowly dwindled to nonexistent, and my gaming systems collected dust and became obsolete. I wanted Skyrim, but couldn't justify purchasing a system JUST to play a single game... Enter Stadia. I have been on board with Stadia since the beginning: not having to pay for a system is unbeatable, period. I have a Google account, so I already HAVE Stadia; it gives people like me the option of getting the games without the steep entry fee of purchasing system that's just going to go out of date a few years down the road. I can play RDR2 or Cyberpunk on my 10-year-old computer as easily as someone who sunk an additional $400 into a new console system; additionally, I can play on my laptop, or a Chromecast, or my phone, or someone else's devices... I don't see any negatives to that.

quote:

Stadia is cheap, user friendly without a big device in the livingroom you have to maintain. You are one click to play on your big screen tv.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

hostile apostle posted:

Meh, just busy. My job has not changed at all, and half this thread of late is about the DS5 controller. What you want me to say? Games are still getting released on Stadia, go play Journey to the Savage Planet on Stadia with your free trial.
On February 18th hosty told us to go play a game that had been, according to that tweet, broken for two weeks.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/eurogamer/status/1364169723320143874

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

More vile propaganda. Will these persecutions never cease?!

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:
Stadia didn't outlive SA but it did outlive Lowtax - Happy Birthday Stadia! #ad

Gobbeldygook posted:

On February 18th hosty told us to go play a game that had been, according to that tweet, broken for two weeks.

Misleading. Yes some players did have corrupted saves but many could play just fine. The issue is also fixed now.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Is it?

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006

Someone fixed the game :shrug:

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

hostile apostle posted:

Misleading. Yes some players did have corrupted saves but many* could play just fine. The issue is also fixed** now.
*many is defined as at least 5 users in Stadia terminology

**fixed is defined as there's nobody to really check so let's just say it's all good

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I tried to do a search to see if people were still having issues but it turns out that no one plays this garbage. The latest result of someone talking about Journey to the Savage Planet that's not an article about the Stadia bug is from 2 weeks ago lol.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

And a corrupted save really isn't that big of an issue, when you think about it....just incentive for more replayability when you start over. Thanks, Stadia!

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Cemetry Gator posted:

I doubt this guy works in marketing or knows his numbers.

Because he said it's easier to develop a game than market it.

This is how you know he's actually in marketing, every marketer in the game industry believes this.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Assistant Manager Devil posted:

And a corrupted save really isn't that big of an issue, when you think about it....just incentive for more replayability when you start over. Thanks, Stadia!
arguably playing as intended; journey to the savage planet has a normal difficulty where you rez after deaths and a hard mode where your save gets deleted when you die.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Bronze Fonz posted:

I'm looking forward to Google eventually being able to implement a search feature on this platform.
Very exciting to be on the edge of such a tech revolution in the making.

It's a good thing,brings back the nostalgia of digging through floppies. Or going to the store to look at game boxes. Did computer city have a search box.. no!

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

quote:

I wanted Skyrim, but couldn't justify purchasing a system JUST to play a single game... Enter Stadia
Enter... the only platform I can't play it on?
Or is some poor soul playing ESO and wondering what anyone saw in the game.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Remember when hostile insisted that all the other sub services were full of shovel ware and stadia was nothing but AAA hits lol

Maybe one day someone can figure out how to make local backups for stuff like saves

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

AdmiralViscen posted:

Maybe one day someone can figure out how to make local backups for stuff like saves

THE CLOWN DOES NOT APPROVE

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Gobbeldygook posted:

arguably playing as intended; journey to the savage planet has a normal difficulty where you rez after deaths and a hard mode where your save gets deleted when you die.

Stadia enforces ironman mode savegame deletion 24/7? Clearly it's the future of videogames :D

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

THE CLOWN DOES NOT APPROVE

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

The Stadia Life: 5 gaming news sites and how being misleading [against Stadia] is the new cool

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

"No, no, no, Google didn't fire all those people - they are offering them transitions to new unrelated positions (and letting them go if they refuse)! IT'S NOT THE SAME!"

"But the entity they work at was dissolved and Google has revealed their job positions don't exist anymore-"

"NOT FIRED!"

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

PC Gamer throws shade in the article subtitle "Assuming Stadia is still around by the time it launches". I just don't understand those who want Stadia to fail so badly posted:

https://www.pcgamer.com/gorgeous-moebius-inspired-roguelike-pixeljunk-raiders-is-a-stadia-exclusive/

quote:

Anytime you see articles that are negative towards Stadia, email the author! Implore them to try Stadia in its current state. I just emailed Natalie Clayton and sent a referral code to try and get her to write about the platform with a fresh perspective. Too many journalists are throwing shade without having a clue what Stadia is like right now. Gotta do our part to see the platform gain more positive feedback.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Imagine if this energy was put towards literally anything else

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Games journalists have notoriously little access to publishers and platform holders. Someone working at a publication like PC Gamer probably can't just contact Stadia's PR team and request a code if they really want to try it out.

Which is why it's great that Stadia's ardent fans are sending writers unsolicitated referral codes.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

literal cult behaviour

these people are loving weird

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

ErrEff posted:

Games journalists have notoriously little access to publishers and platform holders. Someone working at a publication like PC Gamer probably can't just contact Stadia's PR team and request a code if they really want to try it out.

Which is why it's great that Stadia's ardent fans are sending writers unsolicitated referral codes.

I wouldn't put it past Stadia to require journalists to buy everything, tbh.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Quantum of Phallus posted:

literal cult behaviour

these people are loving weird

journalists are some of the bravest people.

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

:reddit: posted:

Anytime you see articles that are negative towards Stadia, email the author! Implore them to try Stadia in its current state. I just emailed Natalie Clayton and sent a referral code to try and get her to write about the platform with a fresh perspective. Too many journalists are throwing shade without having a clue what Stadia is like right now. Gotta do our part to see the platform gain more positive feedback.

This is genuinely good approach. If you write something vaguely negative about the Stadia and shitton of weird nerds start writing to you that "actually, it's good, here's my 5000 page essay about how good it is...", you probably just give up about writing about it, and suddenly - no negative press! :pseudo:
I mean, it is totally lovely from those people to bombard some poor writer with their crap, but seems like it could work!

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

commando in tophat posted:

This is genuinely good approach. If you write something vaguely negative about the Stadia and shitton of weird nerds start writing to you that "actually, it's good, here's my 5000 page essay about how good it is...", you probably just give up about writing about it, and suddenly - no negative press! :pseudo:
I mean, it is totally lovely from those people to bombard some poor writer with their crap, but seems like it could work!

I would bet money this is a significant factor in eg why outlets mostly gave up on covering star citizen, second only to there being nothing to cover

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006
it's easier for writers to get clicks by just penning something snarky & negative, or straight-up inflammatory misinformation like how there's no one around to fix Journey to The Savage Planet, after it was in fact fixed, than do real research

hostile apostle fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Feb 24, 2021

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

hostile apostle posted:

it's easier for writers to get clicks by just penning something snarky & negative, or straight-up inflammatory misinformation like how there's no one around to fix Journey to The Savage Planet, after it was in fact fixed, than do real research
You've always been pretty mad when someone has done ""real research"" on stadia so oh boy this is a turnaround.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

hostile apostle posted:

I thought this was someone stealth quoting some reddit loser till i saw the username lol

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

hostile apostle posted:

oh please don't make me look at your post history in this thread it's just going to embarrass all of us

ugh okay fine

hostile apostle posted:

Its 2021, PS5 & Xbox Project Scarlett are out now. EA drops some new killer title. Its available on all next-gen platforms, including Stadia. Are you going to drop $500 on a new console + $60 for the game, or are you going to pay $60 and play it immediately?

I think that a lot of people overlook at how streaming will change the way games are played. Multiplayer with 1000s of players instead of max 100, state share, dynamic config, crowd play, etc. No console, or even PC can offer that.

hostile apostle posted:

You no longer need a full desktop PC, which is where the real inefficiency comes from, anymore so where is the efficiency gain from that? Seems like a major oversight from that papers author.

Who has a desktop these days between gamers and olds? In the cloud gaming shift, you no longer need that desktop.

hostile apostle posted:

This Tech Jesus guy can't even read and seems be a a liar. He says you need a pixel to activate the service, which is just false, you can use any phone Android 6.0 and up according the Play store page, or iOS. He tried to use 6 year old phone using Android 4 and failed. He claimed to have a newer phone- which would seem to be a lie because its not even Android 6. If he had a "newer" phone it would have worked just fine.

Such a tech savvy guy couldn't even understand the concept of Chromecast.

His other complaint was he couldn't use a gsuite account - which has already been covered in this thread. If he really wanted to produce a true review of the service rather than bitch for 14 minutes, creating a personal email account is not some huge burden. There are many Google services which don't work with g suite - I imagine it becomes very complicated to have co-mingling of personal and corporate data.

anyway that was all from before we found out you work at loving google, a fact you certainly didn't volunteer before you started posting this poo poo.

like, yeah you're not a games journalist but you are literally a paid google employee shilling your company's product on the forum, I think we can all safely ignore your thoughtful perspective on the media's responsibility to report on Stadia.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

hostile apostle posted:

It’s also easier to give up and close a new studio and fire everyone after being distracted by a butterfly, instead of shipping games

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Can we get some journalistic integrity ITT?
No one was "fired"
There's just some people whose job up until now no longer exists at the company.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

hostile apostle posted:

snarky & negative, or straight-up inflammatory misinformation

hostile apostle posted:

Its 2021, PS5 & Xbox Project Scarlett are out now. EA drops some new killer title. Its available on all next-gen platforms, including Stadia. Are you going to drop $500 on a new console + $60 for the game, or are you going to pay $60 and play it immediately?

I think that a lot of people overlook at how streaming will change the way games are played. Multiplayer with 1000s of players instead of max 100, state share, dynamic config, crowd play, etc. No console, or even PC can offer that.

hostile apostle posted:

Sure, but Stadia will have their 1st party exclusives too

hostile apostle posted:

No doubt it's gonna take at least 3 years for any AAA first party content. Google is building something for the future - it's not just about today and they have the resources to make the investment upfront.

hostile apostle posted:

There is a ton of unique stuff coming though - yes it is a big fail that its not there for the big bang of a launch moment.

hostile apostle posted:

Google are not morons - they're not going to sell games for $60 when other stores are selling them for $12.

hostile apostle posted:

Count me as the idiot who spend $129 on a $70 chromecast ultra and a $70 controller to play RDR2 (which I have not played yet) in actual 4K 60fps and not some upscaled fake 4k on a $350 PS4 Pro which I don't have.

hostile apostle posted:

Stadia will do it better, YouTube streaming is coming - you'll even have the ability to join their session via on a link on the YT stream page if the game is multiplayer and the user wants to allow that.

https://stadia.dev/blog/jump-into-multiplayer-games-on-youtube-with-crowd-play/

hostile apostle posted:

It shouldn't be surprising that many hardcore gamers are rejecting Stadia, at least with the current catalog and feature set, while the filthy casuals are embracing it. The "psychologist" is right that the hardcore gamers view streaming as an existential threat to their identity. If it did not, we would not be seeing the vitriol. Why do they care so much or react so negatively? Hardcore gamers want the best graphics, no matter the cost and inconvenience - Stadia does not offer much in this regard today that existing platforms do not, only things that the hardcore view as negatives - reliance on a consistent connection, lack of graphical improvements (today), unfamiliar pricing. Stadia games will probably not be competitive vs retail pricing (consistent loss leaders) or shady steam key sites.

hostile apostle posted:

Let's see where things are in a year. Google hasn't spent years and a ton of money to build the infrastructure to "not do a hell of a lot" and give up day 1. (editor's note: this post was from November 2019)

hostile apostle posted:

PS4 is at its EoL - they desperate to push out whatever inventory they have left. So buy PS4 today and Stadia next year when no new games will no longer come out on PS4?

hostile apostle posted:

D2 and GRID taking up most of my time. Most looking forward to 4K, 60FPS Cyberpunk in April (lol).

hostile apostle posted:

GFN is DoA for any major pubs, they're all gonna pull their content unless they get their slice of the pie - and GFN isn't going to be able to pay them since they don't make anything from selling the games.

hostile apostle posted:

The Stadia business development team is filled with people who have been in the industry for a long time, the issue is that it was built up very late in the lead up to launch.

hostile apostle posted:

I'm no longer going to reply to anyone making aggressive comments or baiting.

hostile apostle posted:

fargom posted:

Hostile apostle do you work for google?
Because I'm not immediately a naysayer, and want to see new technologies work?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Khablam posted:

Can we get some journalistic integrity ITT?
No one was "fired"
There's just some people whose job up until now no longer exists at the company.

Ahh, you see, the slip they got wasn’t actually pink.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
there's a nonzero chance that hostile apostle is actually phil harrison

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

there's a nonzero chance that hostile apostle is actually phil harrison

no way phil harrison gives a poo poo about Stadia