Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Being a stadia fan is stressful posted:

quote:

I do spend more time enjoying the escape, I do not log on to reddit (or any social media) very often.

But this sub was a mostly positive space only a few months ago and that has flipped significantly which is upsetting. It's not the fact that people in the sub are trashing something I love thats bothersome (to me anyway), it's the loss of a positive community that I truly enjoyed participating in. Now this is just yet another hateful echo chamber on the internet. Those are a dime a dozen.

quote:

I guess it really wasn't too much more than that, but the buzz around the those announcements were much different. Excitement, positivity, showing off pro bundles with the game they got it for all pumped up...completely different atmosphere, as simple a sub as it was. I miss that. Now I can't click on a stadia announcement without seeing the top comments being some negative nonsense.

quote:

Here is how I look at it...

Nobody has a leg up on Cloud over Stadia. If Stadia dies, Cloud gaming dies and vice versa.

And nobody in the industry believes Cloud gaming will die. Everyone believes it IS the future.

It only has about 0.3% of the market share right now (about $500M of $165B). So it's hard to even compare it to things like console and PC who each hold about 25% of the market. But when you look at Mobile which is 50% of the market today, the expectation is that those are the users that will start adopting into Cloud. Eventually Console/PC will start to lose a little to it but they won't change much.

It's hard for Cloud to "grow". It's much more difficult to expand the user base through hardware because you must install new datacenters around the world. Not just sell someone a box. But so much of the world's tech is transitioning to Cloud (be it slowly), it is undeniable.

Stadia is a "long haul" proposition. It can be nothing else. It's not even possible for it to happen fast and take off.

Sorry for the unexpected rant. But Cloud isn't going anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Mirificus posted:

Nobody has a leg up on Cloud over Stadia. If Stadia dies, Cloud gaming dies and vice versa.

holy loving poo poo these guys are literally deluded

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Quantum of Phallus posted:

holy loving poo poo these guys are literally deluded

He’s right that Stadia isn’t going anywhere

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

no way phil harrison gives a poo poo about Stadia

Holy poo poo

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Escape Goat posted:

He’s right that Stadia isn’t going anywhere

except the google graveyard.. or the trash.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Like developers are going to put any time into a Linux build with very specific APIs to run on a service with a tiny customer base and a looming Damocles sword above their heads, when there's two more successful competitors that will just run (almost, re:XBox, but still Direct3D) the same code as the non-cloud version.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Stadia needs the valheim

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

tater_salad posted:

Stadians needs the valium

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

no way phil harrison gives a poo poo about Stadia

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

tater_salad posted:

Stadia needs the valheim

Geforce Now has the Valheim.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

no way phil harrison gives a poo poo about the Stadia

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

hostile apostle posted:

it's easier for writers to get clicks by just penning something snarky & negative, or straight-up inflammatory misinformation like how there's no one around to fix Journey to The Savage Planet, after it was in fact fixed, than do real research

actually it's about ethics in corporate astroturfing

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

univbee posted:

Mods please remove post and ban poster.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

univbee posted:

That’s how I’ve been playing it primarily and it’s been awesome.

I can also play Conan exiles on GFN.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Mirificus posted:

Sorry for the unexpected rant. But Cloud isn't going anywhere.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Expecting Google to announce that they're buying Anthem off EA any minute now.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I'm impressed that Bioware were able to just admit fault and cut their losses with Anthem instead of trying to fix that trainwreck.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm impressed that Bioware were able to just admit fault and cut their losses with Anthem instead of trying to fix that trainwreck.

They were trying to fix it. They were working on doing a FFXIV A Realm Reborn style reboot. This was them saying the dream is over.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Unfortunately, it didn't have a lot of hope. The reason Realm Reborn is so remarkable is because major do-overs like that tend to not work, as far as I know. The only examples I can think of that did are Realm Reborn and arguably No Man's Sky. The example that mostly comes to mind is the two reboots Star Wars Galaxies underwent. I am unclear on the severity of the first, but the second is akin to firing up Civilization one day and finding they'd turned it into an RTS. It's the kind of thing that went down as "and here's how you don't do this poo poo."

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

MechaCrash posted:

Unfortunately, it didn't have a lot of hope. The reason Realm Reborn is so remarkable is because major do-overs like that tend to not work, as far as I know. The only examples I can think of that did are Realm Reborn and arguably No Man's Sky. The example that mostly comes to mind is the two reboots Star Wars Galaxies underwent. I am unclear on the severity of the first, but the second is akin to firing up Civilization one day and finding they'd turned it into an RTS. It's the kind of thing that went down as "and here's how you don't do this poo poo."

To be honest waiting 2000+ years to finish a game of civilization would be maybe a tiny bit unpopular unless you are Gilgamesh.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

MechaCrash posted:

I wouldn’t put NMS together with FF14 ARR. As NMS wasn’t really rebooted, it just wasn’t want people were expecting considering what the dev was saying at the time. The commitment to constant free updates is what lead to people being more positive about it.

SE took a huge risk with the reboot of 14 and it did pay off, but honestly I expect 14 to be the extreme outlier.

Now I haven’t ever played Anthem, but did it even attempt what SE did with FF14? 14 wasn’t just, hey we’re working on this and then bam 2.0. The sub cost was removed and the game was still being updated all while they were working on ARR.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Yeah, that's a fair point about NMS not being in the same area as ARR. It had a similar level of turnaround, but that was because of massive additions, not massive overhauls.

Anthem was operating on a different business model than FF14, being one of those microtransaction supported "live service" deals, like Destiny. I think it was similar in scale, though, or at least would have been if EA hadn't pulled the plug.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I remember marvel heroes really sucked when it first came out and then it got loving awesome.

Then it got shut down and that was not awesome so I guess the game came full circle

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

hostile apostle posted:

it's easier for writers to get clicks by just penning something snarky & negative, or straight-up inflammatory misinformation like how there's no one around to fix Journey to The Savage Planet, after it was in fact fixed, than do real research

Except players are still reporting bugs that were not previously visible.

I work in this industry and I occasionally see my stuff get bad press that I think is not particularly fair, but I vastly prefer the skepticism vs blind boot licking. I'd rather read and promote Jason Schreier articles about my work which is sometimes overly critical or blind to circumstance vs something like the Stadia subreddit which is either corporate astroturfing run amok, or a community that behaves identically to a cult.

Your product is bad dude. The execution is bad. The promises are bullshit. The only people defending it are True Believers or people that Google is actively paying to post.

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019
I gotta say, my favorite internet journalism is just copypasting "press releases" supplied by companies :discourse:

I wasn't even aware that such thing exists until I saw "press release" at the company I work at and was like "wtf is this", and then saw it copypasted on some websites. I mean, it isn't like a would believe some overly praising lovely article before, but I had this naive idea that they were at least paid to write that poo poo themselves

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If you're ever curious how all the game journalists end up describing games in the same term or suddenly are throwing around things like "core loop" its because the press packet they received contained it.

I've heard that simply describing your game as amazing and other glowing terms in those raises your average score by two on metacritic

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

The best part about the savage planet saga, is the whole reason there's any confusion about whether this game is patched, was broken before, is fixed now, is because no one plays it.
The user-base is probably about 6 people.

If literally any other game released this year was in the same position, it would be immediately clear to anyone which state it's in. Right now, we still don't know lol.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

I thought one of the main selling points of Stadia was NO PATCHES.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

ErrEff posted:

I thought one of the main selling points of Stadia was NO PATCHES.
Yeah as in you don't get the ones they release for other platforms because coding for the stadia is a pain in the dick

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Shumagorath posted:

Yeah as in you don't get the ones they release for other platforms because coding for the stadia is a pain in the dick

The funniest part for me is waiting to see how hosed the Stadia version of Cyberpunk is gonna be as the patches roll out over time. Will it keep parity? Will it be stuck several versions behind? Who knows? :v:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The funniest part for me is waiting to see how hosed the Stadia version of Cyberpunk is gonna be as the patches roll out over time. Will it keep parity? Will it be stuck several versions behind? Who knows? :v:

The what version, says a CD Projekt Red employee working on a PS5/Series patch as they contemplate using the gun in their desk drawer

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

https://www.theverge.com/2021/2/24/22300211/google-responds-wear-os-hey-google-not-responding

Google says it’s working to get ‘Hey Google’ working on Wear OS again

It seems like the functionality has been broken for months

Activating the Google Assistant by saying “Hey Google” has been broken for months, according to a report from 9to5Google. Google tells The Verge it’s now working on a fix, saying that it’s “aware of the issues some users have been encountering” and will help its partners “address these and improve the overall experience.”

Just in case you thought Google ignoring something that was completely broken wasn't standard-practice until it gets enough negative press.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

https://support.google.com/wearos/thread/44343637?hl=en

quote:

Assistant not able to send text messages

When I use Assistant to send a text, it allows me to press send. Then it says "Can't connect to phone". I've tried it with my phone in Bluetooth range as well as on same wifi network. Why is this happening? It is very frustrating. I can go into the messages app and speak my message and it send just fine. Only when using assistant. This is not a very good assistant!

153 replies, 308 upvotes - posted on May 4th, 2020.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Khablam posted:

The best part about the savage planet saga, is the whole reason there's any confusion about whether this game is patched, was broken before, is fixed now, is because no one plays it.
The user-base is probably about 6 people.

If literally any other game released this year was in the same position, it would be immediately clear to anyone which state it's in. Right now, we still don't know lol.
After the news broke I started playing and beat Savage Planet. It's a FPS metroidvania with a cool, funky art style. The writing is funny if you can dig Gen X "haha you work for a corporation and eat slop" humor. Like a lot of modern games it's pretty easy - I killed the final boss on my first try - with the only real challenge being optional cheevos.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Barudak posted:

If you're ever curious how all the game journalists end up describing games in the same term or suddenly are throwing around things like "core loop" its because the press packet they received contained it.

Nah. I worked as a games journo for ~20 years and those press packets are just "here's the game's producer saying how proud he is of the game, here is how to play the game, here is a list of broken poo poo we PROMISE will be fixed by launch, here is a list of plot spoilers you can't mention". They're not some secret cabal communications everyone has to follow. Most people don't even read them because they're so useless, and they certainly don't give anyone any language or terminology to use. Honestly, the idea that "core loop" came from some press packet is laughable.

The reason games journalist are using the same terms and constantly making comparisons like "X is like the Dark Souls of Y" is part laziness, part lack of skill, part the need to distill everything down to a point where even the dumbest motherfucker can understand it. Most games journos are underpaid and don't have any kind of training in writing or journalism, because if they did, they'd work somewhere with actual career prospects. So you end up with people who follow the same formulas and use the same language they see everywhere. And as for everyone suddenly starting to use the same terms, it's probably because they saw the term being used on Twitter and adapted it, like a billion other people.

And press releases have been around for literally decades in literally every industry. They were useful before the Internet, because they were an easy way to get information out to a very fragmented marketplace of small, discrete publications, each of which could then do a few paragraphs on the topic if they cared to. But now that we have 5000000000 voices shouting into the same void, so when five publications run the same press releases ("Company Y announced today they'll be publishing game X on the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X for Christmas 2021, this is what the producer had to say...") it immediately becomes obvious what's going on. They were never intended to be published in their entirety, and many of them outright prohibit it. For anyone who cares to see what a games press release looks like can go to an aggregator site like Gamespress.com and browse to their heart's content.

They still have their uses, because they ARE official communications, so even if you just attended a press event where the producer talked about the game for 45 minutes and have a lot of material to work with, it's useful to have a concrete list of bulletpoints to check against to make sure you have your facts right.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

The reason games journalist are using the same terms and constantly making comparisons like "X is like the Dark Souls of Y" is part laziness, part lack of skill, part the need to distill everything down to a point where even the dumbest motherfucker can understand it. Most games journos are underpaid and don't have any kind of training in writing or journalism, because if they did, they'd work somewhere with actual career prospects. So you end up with people who follow the same formulas and use the same language they see everywhere. And as for everyone suddenly starting to use the same terms, it's probably because they saw the term being used on Twitter and adapted it, like a billion other people.

Also, I feel like a lot of these game design terms like "core loop" or "emergent behavior" or whatever have sprung up in games writing because the primary audience of games journalism is now the inside baseball audience. The people who just want to know whether the game is good page down to the last paragraph and the score, or look at metacritic. You don't need to read anything to know that Valheim is the game of the moment right now.

The people who read all the words in a review have self-selected into "people who like reading about games". Same as how people who read about sports are more interested in the details of why the mets traded their 3rd-best pitcher for the cubs' shortstop, than whether the mets won last night.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Klyith posted:

Also, I feel like a lot of these game design terms like "core loop" or "emergent behavior" or whatever have sprung up in games writing because the primary audience of games journalism is now the inside baseball audience.

That's also true. These are very common terms used in game development, academic game research, game studies, forums, what have you. It's not "game journos read a term in Square's press packet, started using it en masse", it's "people in general know what a core loop is, so instead of taking 50 words to explain the concept every time, journos can just say game loop, so they will".

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

quote:

Cloud gaming is here to stay. Stadia proved that it can be done. Now, will Stadia succeed vs the competitions? The decisions that Google makes are out of our control, so let's not worry about it.

For us, the investment is small compare to other gaming platforms. You don't need to buy any hardware if you have a laptop or smartphone. You just buy the games. Controller, Chromecast Ultra and Pro subscriotions are optional.

If Google kills Stadia, in worst case scenario, we will lose the games library if Google won't allow us to transfer them elsewhere. We will have to look at other examples of how Google dealt with this in the past. For Google Play Music, they allowed the music library to be transferred to Youtube Music, but that is another Google product, so it might not apply here if there is no other Google alternative to Stadia. If and when it happens, I seriously doubt Google will just say, "Sorry, but your purchased games are gone. There's nothing we can do about it."

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Cloud gaming is definitely here to stay guys.

https://twitter.com/nibellion/status/1364926838104014849?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Moving from Stadia to a high performance PC: The grass is greener but their are some nasty weeds posted:

So, recently I purchased at a good deal of expense a pre-built with a 3090 RTX (one of the few ways you can land the GPU at a reasonable price if it ever had one). After much anticipation I finally received my new rig yesterday. I'm not going to lie it made me wish I felt differently about Stadia these days. Yes, the images it renders at true 4K 60fps with all the bells and whistles are truly a treat for the eyes but it comes at a considerable cost even beyond the price of the hardware itself.

That cost is power consumption, heat, and noise. I can tell you know at 13.1 cents a kilowatt hour this PC will cost me more per month than my Stadia Pro subscription ever will to game on. I might be able to mitigate the noise and heat with future cooling upgrades (Magnetic Corsair replacement fans already on order) but to be honest the cost to truly mitigate these issues will also be considerable. Not to mention, if I want an UPS capable of supporting the load this system demands there is significant addtional cost and once again heat and noise to maintain such a system.

The point is, Stadia is a pretty amazing technology delivered at an incredible value when faced with the alternatives. It is capable of delivering a serviceable experience for modern games without serious investment or regular maintenance and overhead. I found myself appreciating it for what it was to me much more after fully realizing the overall cost of cutting edge gaming performance. My only real gripe with Stadia is Google's seemingly inept management of the platform and the lack of upcoming games I want to play on it.

In a world where Google was truly all in on the platform and it had better 3rd party support I feel like Stadia would be the best way for everyone to play. Maybe it will get there someday but even now I think it is a great solution for those that don't have the time, money, patience, and/or technical savvy to maintain a top of the line PC. That being said, I have seen the top of the mountain and it is worth the trouble to me. I really couldn't imagine going back to playing something like AC: Odyssey on Stadia after experiencing it in its true unleashed form without graphical setting limits or latency. I tried for shits and giggles this morning it was like loading up an old original Xbox game in this day and age.

If gaming alone were my reasoning behind the purchase of this equipment I might of weighed the pro and cons then decided to return the PC. I have a family and a busy life to consider against my hobbies but in my case I also do graphic art work where a local powerful PC is an invaluable tool. I think for many in similar situations without my work requirements streaming is the future of gaming for them. It definitely needs to get better than where it is now but it is certainly a step in the right direction. There is no turning back for me now but I definitely see much more overall value in what Stadia has to offer than I did before. Who knows in 5 years or so when this PC becomes dated perhaps I'll return to more advanced streaming sevices/platforms as my primary way to play.