Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Oh yeah, didn’t they straight up unrelease a game? That sounds like the Amazon I know and hate.

what was it called, crucible? or was that the one that never came out at all?

you would think game devs would already be used to peeing in bottles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Not the first MOBA that's happened to in recent years, to be fair. That said, I'm looking forward to the inevitable unrelease of New World.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

They have the Lumberyard game engine. Powering one of the highest funded games of all time.

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

Colostomy Bag posted:

They have the Lumberyard game engine. Powering one of the highest funded games of all time.

:gary:

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

gschmidl posted:

I mean, look at the amazing array of games Amazon Games Studios have put out, such as

New World! It's a very bad game or was in the 3 very different beta phases, each one was worse so they were on the wrong track. Maybe they gutted the team and salvaged it. The base had potential.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

gschmidl posted:

I mean, look at the amazing array of games Amazon Games Studios have put out, such as

So the same as the stadia,?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

they made a couple of decent phone games in like 2014

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

gschmidl posted:

Wasn't there a game based on their Top Gear, But Not Top Gear, But We Do Have The Abusive, Pompous Shithead Kicked Off Top Gear series?

tater_salad posted:

So the same as the stadia,?

Google is stupid because they stopped game development. Amazon is stupid because they haven't stopped.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

New World is being marched out to die. I expect it to go F2P once the initial MMO enthusiast sales die down and then it becomes part of Prime/Luna as a value-add. Maybe they can put in microtransactions that keep it afloat.

I do not see it making a big splash. It’s a game out of time.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Mirificus posted:

Jean-François Roy

Can't wait for HA to jump in and claim that this is good because he was holding Stadia back for the 8 years he was working on it.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

ErrEff posted:

What is most hilarious is that everyone except Amazon seems to know this. Even after Crucible.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

ErrEff posted:

New World is being marched out to die. I expect it to go F2P once the initial MMO enthusiast sales die down and then it becomes part of Prime/Luna as a value-add. Maybe they can put in microtransactions that keep it afloat.

It's launching with microtransactions. You have to pay for the privilege of fast travel lmao. For some reason that little detail really stuck with me, can't even remember where I saw it, a developer interview I think, where they tried to spin it as a good thing because then people who don't have as much time but still want to see all the game has to offer can.

While everyone else can just slave away like the digital peons they are, I suppose

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Google is killing its beloved calling and messaging platform Google hangouts.. because know what they need.. is another different messaging platform..
All Hail google chat!

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

tater_salad posted:

Google is killing its beloved calling and messaging platform Google hangouts.. because know what they need.. is another different messaging platform..
All Hail google chat!

I remember google chat! They changed it to google talk before it became part of Google+ then Google Hangouts. They literally used this name in the early 2000s I think I have a computer with windows 2000 that if it still boots will have it installed.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

pixaal posted:

I remember google chat! They changed it to google talk before it became part of Google+ then Google Hangouts. They literally used this name in the early 2000s I think I have a computer with windows 2000 that if it still boots will have it installed.

This proves that stadia will become strictly a messaging app for your Tv, but it'll be clown based.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

It's not all doom and gloom - some basic numbers and estimations posted:

Hi r/Stadia!

I feel some of you have seemed a bit down and there is a bit of doom and gloom going about. Let me just remind you of some numbers.

There are 2.8 billion gamers world wide. 1.3 billion of those are on PC and I'd guess most are not strong enough for new AAAs. Consoles (Switch, XBONE, Series S/X, PS4/5) make up about 300 million according to sales numbers on Wikipedia.

There is obviously a lot of overlap there too, but assuming no overlap; that's 1.6 billion gamers with PCs or Consoles. 1.2 BILLION only play on mobile.

Assuming, long term, Stadia brings in 2% of those mobile gamers and 1% of the PC gamers and no console gamers, that'd mean 37 MILLION Stadia players and Stadia would barely have any market share at all at that point. Add to that the potential to bring in even more young gamers with no console or PC today and non-gamers trying it out and liking it, thanks to the Android TV rollout; you'd be looking at way more in a few years.

For the fun of it, if we assume 10% subscribe to Stadia Pro, that's at that point 36 MILLION USD per MONTH in revenue, just from pro.

And I know, a massive chunk of those gamers are in China, meaning they likely will never be Stadia-players, even after a global rollout, but even then, there is a lot of room.

Because what I'm getting at is this: There is A LOT of room for Stadia to be a part of the gaming ecosystem for decades to come (and the longer they stay, the bigger they'll grow). Even at just a few percent, there is still enough gamers to be profitable. Google surely knows this (if not, now they do). Why on earth would they give all of this up, just because their "MVP" (Minimum Viable Product) release didn't take the world by storm? Google kills off unsuccessful projects, sure, like every successful business. But after not even 2 years, to start to worry about Stadia shutting down, is not only incredibly short sighted, but also plain bad business. Google knows taking a chunk of the gaming market will take years, if not decades. But they have the tech, the infrastructure and the math supports them sticking around for a LONG time still.

Now, for fun, let's crunch some more numbers:

Let's round it up to 3 billion gamers for future growth and remove 75% of the total market, for gamers who won't go cloud or are in places where it won't make sense for the next decade (inc. China).

750 Million gamers remain.

Let's give Stadia 30% of that, as it coexists with Xcloud, GFN and PS Now.

Stadia now have 225 million customers. 38% will spend money according to the report quoted in the original post. That's 85.5 Million.

Let's assume 1 third of those go Pro. 28.215 million gamers paying 9.99 a month means 281 867 850 monthly revenue from Pro. I guess that'll be enough to cover the cost of Pro games licensing and running the service for all 225 million with plenty to spare, lining their pockets.

Any game or in game purchase you then buy would mean pure profit. I guess they'll end up with a 15% cut of those sales with the rest going to the dev/publisher. It'll be hard to estimate that into actual dollar values, but it'll likely be significant... :D

Sources: https://newzoo.com/insights/article...illion-in-2023/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_game_consoles#Home_game_consoles

https://newzoo.com/insights/article...illion-in-2021/

TLDR? Stadia is not shutting down any time soon. Even at 1% market share globally, among all gamers, that's A LOT of gamers. Sure, it might be slower than you'd like, sure it may not be doing stuff right marketing wise with the silence. But it will not be shutting down this side of 2025....

quote:

That's a lot of assumptions there.

How many gamers actually have access to fast, reliable and unlimited internet?

How many are tech savvy enough to get it to work correctly? (even the Digital Foundry guys could not get it to work)

How much is it actually costing Google to maintain the Stadia hardware, pay developers for ports and strike deals for Stadia Pro? You'd think the project is bleeding money for now, and Google doesn't like to keep failed projects around.

quote:

quote:

How many gamers actually have access to fast, reliable and unlimited internet?

Most of them.

quote:

Source?

quote:

Well... if you want the lazy answer... then I say Starlink. Especially in a handful of years when their satellite infrastructure is more fully built out. Even outside of users of the service it will create pressure on existing ISPs to provide more speed at better prices.

So today... not yet quite as good as it could be... in a few years... really darn good... potentially.

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

With the powers of the clown and space internet combined there's no way Stadia can fail.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

starlink and stadia are a perfect combination because for both of them you have to jerry rig some kind of insane cooling solution to use it for more than 45 minutes

quote:

A Starlink beta user in Arizona said he lost Internet service for over seven hours yesterday when the satellite dish overheated, demonstrating one of the drawbacks of SpaceX's broadband service. When the user's Internet service was disrupted, the Starlink app provided an error message saying, "Offline: Thermal shutdown." The dish "overheated" and "Starlink will reconnect after cooling down," the error message said.

The user, named Martin, posted a screenshot of the error message on Reddit. He contacted Starlink support, which told him, "Dishy will go into thermal shutdown at 122F and will restart when it reaches 104F." Martin decided to give the dish a little water so it could cool down. He pointed a sprinkler at Dishy, and once it cooled enough to turn back on, "I immediately heard YouTube resume playback," he wrote yesterday.

But the Internet restoration was short-lived, Martin told Ars in a chat today.

"The fix was temporary," he told us. "When I stopped the sprinkler, [the dish] heated back up and would cycle back on for a few minutes and go back down for thermal shutdown. The overheating started that day about 11:30 am and came back for good about 7 pm... I'm currently headed to a hardware store to get materials to build a solar shade/sail around the dish to see if it doesn't impact connection and speed."

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2021/06/starlink-dish-overheats-in-arizona-sun-knocking-user-offline-for-7-hours/

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Too much Good Game on Stadia posted:

Yes, it is right, too much good game on Stadia, so now, it is like NetFlix, i spend more time to try to choose a game than gaming...

I just finished the very good Judgement, now flying from Marvel Avengers to CyberPunk, to Sekiro, to Doom, to RDR2, or do I start RE Village...what if I subscribe Ubi+ -> more issues to come with AC Valhala, RB Siege...

PS... i forget Fifa, Golf, ...

Eufff..... gaming time passed already.....

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Good god, Starlink and Stadia worlds collide. Why am I not surprised.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Mirificus posted:

Assuming, long term, Stadia brings in 2% of those mobile gamers and 1% of the PC gamers and no console gamers

Even at 1% market share globally, among all gamers, that's A LOT of gamers.

Lol, this complete rear end-pull of a statistic is doing so, so much work here. Has it occurred to this stadiafan that fractions of percents exist?

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

tater_salad posted:

This proves that stadia will become strictly a messaging app for your Tv, but it'll be clown based.

You type in whatever message you want to send, then a clown uses Flag-Signals-over-IP (FSoIP) to transmit this message to other clowns who relay it to the last clown, who then decodes the flag signals back to a mostly complete version of the original message.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Lol, this complete rear end-pull of a statistic is doing so, so much work here. Has it occurred to this stadiafan that fractions of percents exist?

Those are also worldwide statistics... I have a feeling Stadia is not available in the entire globe.

Looking it up, yep it's basically just the US, western Europe and patches of eastern Europe. Stadia is not available in any Asian countries which I have a feeling contribute quite a lot to that total gamers number. Same for South America and Africa.

Hell it isn't even available in Australia

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Blessed Saint Elon, patron saint of clowns, please intercede for us in this moment of high latency

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

The best part about that OP's numbers is that if you apply them to the last gen, the PS4 sold like 1.5billion units.
Well done Sony.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Captain Hygiene posted:

Blessed Saint Elon, patron saint of clowns, please intercede for us in this moment of high latency

Unfortunately it's an overcast day, so you get no signal.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Bofast posted:

You type in whatever message you want to send, then a clown uses Flag-Signals-over-IP (FSoIP) to transmit this message to other clowns who relay it to the last clown, who then decodes the flag signals back to a mostly complete version of the original message.

Ability to search yoru messages coming in the future.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I didn't know this was a thing

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bofast posted:

It's like there's a limit on how many people a data center can handle simultaneously even with the power of the clown. :lol:

I love that it's accounts that the cap is on though, not simultaneous connections.

"We want this to be successful. No, not that successful, we can't handle that many people!"

Play
Apr 25, 2006

no soup stadia for you

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Bofast posted:

this means the stadia is winning, so popular it's full..
L O L

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Bofast posted:

Actually, this is a good thing in my opinion. Given my extremely limited free time when not caring for my disgusting horde of rabid children, having to actually decide on and play a game feels like a waste of my time. Thanks to Stadia, I can just quickly imagine what playing a game would feel like!

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Must be a heck of a region. An old sandy bridge system with a 750gt sitting powered up in a closet somewhere for cloud duty.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Colostomy Bag posted:

Must be a heck of a region. An old sandy bridge system with a 750gt sitting powered up in a closet somewhere for cloud duty.

The EMEANASAAA (Europe, Middle East, Africa, North America, South America, Australia, Asia) region (100 free slots).

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Weedle posted:

starlink and stadia are a perfect combination because for both of them you have to jerry rig some kind of insane cooling solution to use it for more than 45 minutes

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2021/06/starlink-dish-overheats-in-arizona-sun-knocking-user-offline-for-7-hours/

Always love a local story. This week has been hell. Monsoon Season started on Tuesday and that's become more of a symbolic season than a real one because it just doesn't rain here. Tuesday night was storming, windy as hell, so I stepped out at 9:30pm to make sure my car windows weren't cracked open. It felt like I walked into a broiler.

...anyway.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

hostile apostle posted:

Please tell me who these people are that dont have internet but can afford a $300 xbox.

"We have a product for that, it's called the Xbox 360"

-Phil Spencer aka Hostile Apostle

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
wait why did i quote a post from april what's happening to me

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

We Just Had A Whole rear end E3 And No One Said The Word Stadia Once
Missing E3 is yet another huge miss for Stadia, which could have benefitted from the publicity more than anyone else.

https://www.thegamer.com/stadia-e3-2021-absent-ubisoft/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Colostomy Bag posted:

Good god, Starlink and Stadia worlds collide. Why am I not surprised.

Now add star citizen for the trifecta