Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Mirificus posted:

Lots of quotes

Stadia: I give it another year and I think everyone will be talking about stadia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Quantum of Phallus posted:

wonder is it better than the streaming version on switch

The Switch streaming thing is wild, Performance runs fast but looks hideous and Quality is not much better.

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019
I knew it, there are rabid fanbois in this thread! Who is it? Show yourself! :argh: Is it Stux?

e. I read few last post because of new title, and look, it's coming from inside the thread :discourse:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

elmer FUD

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Saoshyant posted:

Tag yourself. I'm the bored out of her mind lady on the right, looking into a windowless cubicle where a grown man is blowing out the candles to a Stadia-themed birthday cake.

That's not just any photo either, that is Kirk Cameron, insane right wing fundie chud / antivaxxer and general rear end in a top hat. And Sad Little Birthday Boy

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

hostile apostle posted:

There are certainly people who don't come to discuss in good faith

:ironicat:

You're literally a Google employee lmao

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
hostile apostle is the perfect Google employee, just reading a massive amount of valid complaints and telling people no, they're wrong and stupid

very accurate representation of where Google - I'm sorry, Alphabet - is as a company

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Cloks posted:

hostile apostle is the perfect Google employee, just reading a massive amount of valid complaints and telling people no, they're wrong and stupid

very accurate representation of where Google - I'm sorry, Alphabet - is as a company

The MOST valid ones he ignores. Note how he hasn't weighed in at all on the developer profit change issue, which signals to me that either it's correct or he can't dispute it.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
Google's podcast app won't even stream a whole episode of something without crashing at least once and I'm supposed to spend thousands of dollars migrating my library to their new game streaming service?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

doingitwrong posted:

This thread needs Stux
Fantastic username + post

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Cloks posted:

Isn't that exactly what they did with Chrome tabs?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Why would you even need an ad blocker, asks the advertisement company as they remove the API required for ad blocking from their browser.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

doingitwrong posted:

This thread needs Stux

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Be the Stux you want to see in the world.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

im seeing a lot of unhealthy stux attachment disorder in this thread. p sure there's a support group for that, it's just down the hall

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:
Stadia didn't outlive SA but it did outlive Lowtax - Happy Birthday Stadia! #ad
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:

Rotten Red Rod posted:

The MOST valid ones he ignores. Note how he hasn't weighed in at all on the developer profit change issue, which signals to me that either it's correct or he can't dispute it.

I don't have any insights into the contract terms w/ publishers and how they work, but the big upfronts for bringing games in, e.g. $8M or whatever it was for RE8, were probably economically unviable to continue.

Stadia shifted it's product & engineering focus to building a platform for publishers, so I'd expect more of the Ubisoft sort of partnership where Ubisoft brings all their games to Stadia and anyone subscribing to the service can play them on Stadia for no additional cost, or buy them on Stadia like any other title. Or leaning in on building out the Youtube crowd play features for publishers, and the demos like what Stadia did last fall with Immortals: Fenyx Rising.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Jesus christ, Google paid Capcom $8 million to port RE8 to Stadia?! That's crazy. I knew they had to be paying a lot for those, but I had no idea it was THAT high.

In my eyes, the shift to the new pay-for-days-played over up-front payouts will be likely to chase off indie devs. I can only see that model supporting things like big, bloated open world games like, well, every single Ubisoft game. Any short, self-contained indie game, like Gylt, will be undercompensated by comparison.

Crowd play really seems like a non-starter to me. In most cases, a streamer inviting their fans to play sounds unmanageable at best, and probably inviting trolls and stream snipers at worst. Some streamers have made it work, like RT's Minecraft builds, but for the most part I don't see that going well.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Google's podcast app won't even stream a whole episode of something without crashing at least once and I'm supposed to spend thousands of dollars migrating my library to their new game streaming service?

Thing always works fine for me, I can't remember it ever crashing. That would be really annoying.

hostile apostle posted:

I don't have any insights into the contract terms w/ publishers and how they work, but the big upfronts for bringing games in, e.g. $8M or whatever it was for RE8, were probably economically unviable to continue.

Stadia shifted it's product & engineering focus to building a platform for publishers, so I'd expect more of the Ubisoft sort of partnership where Ubisoft brings all their games to Stadia and anyone subscribing to the service can play them on Stadia for no additional cost, or buy them on Stadia like any other title. Or leaning in on building out the Youtube crowd play features for publishers, and the demos like what Stadia did last fall with Immortals: Fenyx Rising.

I don't really understand Stadia at all... why does it need to be ported again? So you can play it on different devices like your tablet or something? Aren't the stadia servers running the game on Windows just like a normal consumer would?

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

it runs linux, a well known gaming OS

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Play posted:

Aren't the stadia servers running the game on Windows just like a normal consumer would?

No. Stadia runs things on gigantic Linux farms. They are closer to SteamOS than Windows. It's impossible to run Windows as a cloud service; ask Microsoft one of the largest Linux users through Azure.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
I bet hostile apostle isn't even a Google employee. He works there, sure, but he's a contractor. Dreaming of someday getting to eat the free cereal.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

The dream is to be unassigned so you can rest and vest on the roof

ATM Machine
Aug 20, 2007

I paid $5 for this

hostile apostle posted:

There's definitely no other game subscription service that can boast having access to a range of games for a single monthly subscription cost without having to buy additional games. So the Stadia is certainly going to have that market cornered in a few years time! Good thing they're focusing on building a platform for publishers now as well instead of ????? they were before, Steam and Epic will need to watch out!

btw how do i use the stadia outside of the US, Canada, and parts of Europe? i live in the small region of the world known as asia so its understandable that the stadia can't be used in our small population centers

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

ATM Machine posted:

btw how do i use the stadia outside of the US, Canada, and parts of Europe? i live in the small region of the world known as asia so its understandable that the stadia can't be used in our small population centers

Just VPN into Mountain View, you'll have that 4k 60fps in no time flat!

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Saoshyant posted:

No. Stadia runs things on gigantic Linux farms. They are closer to SteamOS than Windows. It's impossible to run Windows as a cloud service; ask Microsoft one of the largest Linux users through Azure.

Huh, that's interesting. I wonder why.

Or at least, why they wouldn't create a kind of version of Windows that does run okay as a cloud... thingy.

Yes I'm kind of dumb

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Saoshyant posted:

It's not impossible; it's just that :stadia: employees caught buying Windows licenses are put in the campus stocks.

Instead of losing money on licensing they're losing money by having to shovel it at devs to port anything interesting and seeing service uptake in response.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Play posted:

Huh, that's interesting. I wonder why.
No licensing fees to evil Microsoft.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

It's not about licensing fees, you dum-dums. Microsoft themselves host absolutely nothing on Windows. Their entire Azure stack, the second largest cloud service in the world, is entirely built on top of Linux.

If Google wanted, they would have entered in an agreement with Microsoft to buy a huge rear end cross-license that would apply to their entire network. The problem is you can't scale up to Netflix size (which was what Stadia was meant to do, but lol) on top of an operating system that barely fits desktop needs well enough. PS: Netflix's servers don't run on Windows either.

Play posted:

Or at least, why they wouldn't create a kind of version of Windows that does run okay as a cloud... thingy.

Because it's not a trivial matter -- they would have to redesign so many parts of Windows to make it work as hypervisor clusters. It's much cheaper for Microsoft to continue improving Linux and use that instead.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

just as a point of comparison: the steam handheld runs linux too (steam os), but they're using a windows api layer that can more or less play a lot of native windows games without any help from the developer. It's not always perfect, and developers can still do a native port if they want better performance, but valve isn't fully dependent on developers being willing to do the work.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Bad Purchase posted:

just as a point of comparison: the steam handheld runs linux too (steam os), but they're using a windows api layer that can more or less play a lot of native windows games without any help from the developer. It's not always perfect, and developers can still do a native port if they want better performance, but valve isn't fully dependent on developers being willing to do the work.

Yeah. If Google had been smart they would have worked together with Valve on improving Proton exactly to avoid the pitfalls they are currently on.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Saoshyant posted:

Yeah. If Google had been smart they would have worked together with Valve on improving Proton exactly to avoid the pitfalls they are currently on.

This is a whole video of different games running on Proton.

https://youtu.be/piqdgXunyXA

The hit really isn’t that bad and it would have made things infinitely easier for everyone. He even mentioned one game actually runs better for whatever reason.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Saoshyant posted:

on top of an operating system that barely fits desktop needs well enough.
GNU mad

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
congrats to Alphabet on Ouya Online

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

hostile apostle posted:

ITT: people literally brainwashed by the FUD posting their bad takes and misinfo

Please explain how it's FUD and misinformation when I and several other posters itt literally work with the kind of network technology that's needed to make Stadia work and can tell you where and how it will bottleneck beyond Google's control.

TheScott2K posted:

I bet hostile apostle isn't even a Google employee. He works there, sure, but he's a contractor. Dreaming of someday getting to eat the free cereal.

He's literally the Arnold Rimmer of Google; He's likely some low-tier position and seems to think that makes him on par with the go-fast-break-things cool-kid developers just by being in the same building.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jul 28, 2021

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

You are literally brainwashed by the FUD. Do not spread such misinformation about me such as having a very large portrait of Richard Stallman in my office that I kiss once every day. I shall not stand for such claptrap!

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
threeway brawl between Stux, FUD, and Stadia

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Hosty. Did they ever fix the real loud and ear breaking screech that would happen with earphones plugged into the $70 okayest controller ever? It was a thing back before I gave up on the stadia.

init
Jun 20, 2021

cheetah7071 posted:

threeway brawl between Stux, FUD, and Stadia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Where's the FUD?