Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Snuffman posted:

Regardless of the hardware but what kind of internet connection do you need?

Should be fine with 20mps connection but you have to be close to a datacenter. During the project stream beta you had to have a 40ms ping or less while I had an average ping of 42ms so I didn't get to play it much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Edge node sounds pretty kinky.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Mordja posted:

Whatever, this isn't for me. I don't want to play games on my phone and when I do want to play on the go, I don't want to play the same type of games I play on my PC.

It doesn't have to be just your phone. They demo'ed Odyssey just now on a laptop, TV, and low end desktop PC.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Walk into that server room and be instantly liquefied.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

8k GAME STREAMING!!!!

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
i'm gonna play all my video games through my browser at 8k resolution with half a second input lag

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I wonder if you HAVE to use their controller or not

Orv
May 4, 2011

DLC Inc posted:

I wonder if you HAVE to use their controller or not

You don't.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Orv posted:

Walk into that server room and be instantly liquefied.

The heat that these data centers giving off, this is probably accurate. :P

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Nice bridge you're selling there, Google.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

Your Computer posted:

... with half a second input lag

Anyone who did the ACO trial care to comment on input lag? I'm guessing it's not great.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

10.7 teraflops!

So many pixels!!!!!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

KodiakRS posted:

Anyone who did the ACO trial care to comment on input lag? I'm guessing it's not great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrIodKaGpEM

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Blotto_Otter posted:

I'm not able to watch the stream, have they gotten to the part of the presentation where they list all of the devices that are supported and iPhones and iPads are conspicuously absent?

I mean, yeah, they are absent but so is everyone else's devices.

I'd guess (until Apple bans it, like they banned Steamlink) it'll work on iOS through the Chrome browser.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
why isn't he comparing it to the nintendo switch entertainment system, the only good console

Golashes
Aug 8, 2006

team starslay3r!!!!!!

KodiakRS posted:

Input lag was not terrible (NYC based) except at what seemed to be peak times, at which point the whole thing would go to hell. When it was good it was good, I'd say 8/10 hours I played on it were perfectly fine.

Orv
May 4, 2011
WHERE'S MY loving SPEEDTREE GOOGLE

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

KodiakRS posted:

Sometimes it felt great, other times it was unplayable. Like, I mean in the literal sense that sometimes it would just say my internet connection wasn't good enough, even though I was on a wired ethernet connection.

edit: have you ever played a fighting game online and had a stable connection? thats about how it felt when I say 'great'

so 'great' doesn't mean you wouldn't notice it, but that it wasn't a big deal

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I mean no poo poo it's gonna be 3x as powerful if it's rooted in a superserver that would be much more than a $400 console

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace

KodiakRS posted:

My friend was in the test and he said it's non-existent. However, he was hard-wired with a gigabit speed connection.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I don't care about the flops

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Your Computer posted:

why isn't he comparing it to the nintendo switch entertainment system, the only good console

Switch in Japan even does game streaming.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

10.7 teraflops!

So many pixels!!!!!
At 1080p with mpeg artifacts and 63ms of lag.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

KodiakRS posted:

depends entirely on your location

i'm sure it's fine if you live in a big US city, but there are probably a lot of places and entire countries where it's simply not feasible

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Doom Eternal being on Stadia is awesome. Having new AAA titles on the platform is going to be very important to me.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Your Computer posted:

depends entirely on your location

i'm sure it's fine if you live in a big US city, but there are probably a lot of places and entire countries where it's simply not feasible

This is the big thing that makes Googles claim of gaming for everyone, complete and utter bullshit.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Tron suit man, tron suit man

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
Where the gently caress is my Ready Player One OASIS headset?

I'm assuming this tech can easily be made for VR applications which solves the phone hardware problem?

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

I said come in! posted:

This is the big thing that makes Googles claim of gaming for everyone, complete and utter bullshit.

Google's platform they boast as being the most accessible of all the major gaming platforms is ironically the least accessible across the majority of the US.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

lol cross platform

Going to be great to kill people who have ~100ms of input lag

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
This all sounds great in concept, but I wanna know some actual numbers for latency.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

lol cross platform

Going to be great to kill people who have ~100ms of input lag

Real pros move next to google datacenters

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
RIP John McCain feel better xoxo 💋 🙏
Taco Defender
I am v curious about the pricing model for this.

like will developers be able to charge end users different amounts to play with different hardware? could suck

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

A bit embarrassing she got all the way to the talk without remembering to take her dressing gown off.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Wouldn't streaming these k-k-k-k-k-k-k-k-k-kerrrrraaaaaaaaaaaaazy high-quality games absolutely destroy your data cap?

I get 1 TB a month from Comcast.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Andrast posted:

Real pros move next to google datacenters

Google going to start sponsoring e-sports teams where they just lock them inside the data centers

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Kudos to the Rez t-shirt though.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
This can't be as good as it sounds, right? Right??????

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Montalvo posted:

This can't be as good as it sounds, right? Right??????

Obviously.

And/or the monthly cost will be insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
They only have 2 games and one of them is a Ubisoft game.

lmao