Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/awaceb/status/1436065272134262786
https://twitter.com/Lord_Warpa/status/1436067234770833410
https://twitter.com/awaceb/status/1436068338401255425

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

*sad trombone sound*

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Literally the only thing I know about Tchia is that you can pet a crab, which makes Stadia incredibly worse off for not supporting it

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I wouldn't be surprised if it's due to the new profit-sharing model on Stadia. Based on what we know, it seems to absolutely screw shorter single player indie titles.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/ReidoBaggins/status/1436316545353986087

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Some men just want to watch their ecosystem burn

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Huh, apparently this isn't the only recent game to be cancelled on Stadia: https://stadiasource.com/article/1803/Road-96-Is-No-Longer-Set-To-Release-on-Stadia

This in combination with the above news makes it seem that Google is pulling funding for indie game across the board, possibly related to closing their internal studio. Not a great move when your platform is already trying to shake the stigma of having a very small library.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Actually it’s good because

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Having lots of good games just slows you down. Sticking to a handful of titles that were mildly exciting when they came out 4 years ago keeps the platform lean and focused.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

megane posted:

Having lots of good games just slows you down. Sticking to a handful of titles that were mildly exciting when they came out 4 years ago keeps the platform lean and focused.

you may not like it, but this is what video game streaming peak performance looks like

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

Gutcruncher posted:

Actually it’s good because

Indiegames are trash anyway, this lets stadia focus on the good AAA games instead :smuggo:

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Jesus Hostile Apostle / Stux, get your poo poo together! Stadia is falling apart due to your bad decisions!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I have no idea what kinda game this is but it looks incredibly cute and you can take take over a dog.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Seems to be a physics-based open world puzzle/platformer very inspired by Breath of the Wild. I'm into it.

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Laugh all you want but losing Tchia frees up that much Stadia bandwith for the Cyberpunk 77 patches!

Who's the loser now?

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

megane posted:

If you put out too many good games, you dilute your own ecosystem . Yes, we only offer one-tenth the number of games vs our competitors, but that just makes each one of ours 90% more valuable. Win-win!

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Bronze Fonz posted:

Laugh all you want but losing Tchia frees up that much Stadia bandwith for the Cyberpunk 77 patches!

Who's the loser now?

Uhh FUD, Stadia never patches.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
there's no need to patch perfection, bro

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

B-1.1.7 Bomber posted:

there's no need to patch perfection, bro

apparently no reason to play it either lmao owned

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
: (

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

stadia stays winnin baybee

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen
https://twitter.com/albertrgis1/status/1436122550216507397

lol

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

https://twitter.com/Kotaku/status/1436716554834612231?s=19

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

“Google explained to ZDNet that this was good for Stadia”

maximum lols

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
You know how sometimes you hear stories about executives getting in the way of the artist’s creative process? Well stadia having nobody in charge means nobody is dragging down the creativity!

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Jack Buser, formerly Director of PS Home (lol) and then Senior Director for PS Now (and PS Mobile, yet another thing that died immediately upon arrival and only lives on as Sony's PC publishing brand on Steam) before coming to Stadia as Director of Games.

He's becoming Director of Global Gaming Solutions for Google Cloud, so it's an upwards move for him. And it's good!

Kotaku posted:

Google explained to ZDNet that this was good for Stadia, spinning this departure as a way to bring “new partnership and product opportunities” to both Stadia and Google’s overall cloud services.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Cutting out the deadweight, always a good thing

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

My theory that there are execs at Google gunning to axe Stadia persists. And now I think it may be the Cloud execs, who are successfully killing it off and absorbing it back into their division, including poaching Stadia's staff? Total speculation on my part, but I think it's as good a theory as any, given how self-destructive many of the Stadia decisions have been and how clearly starved of resources it is.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
stadia should never have been siloed as its own project to begin with, its main failing is a complete lack of continuity with anything else Google does

this is also true of the vast majority of google projects but still

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Stadia getting rebranded as "Google Cloud Games" or something would not surprise me.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Captain Hygiene posted:

Cutting out the deadweight, always a good thing

But dead weight can't exist in ~the cloud~

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rotten Red Rod posted:

My theory that there are execs at Google gunning to axe Stadia persists. And now I think it may be the Cloud execs, who are successfully killing it off and absorbing it back into their division, including poaching Stadia's staff? Total speculation on my part, but I think it's as good a theory as any, given how self-destructive many of the Stadia decisions have been and how clearly starved of resources it is.

Nah, remember they're largely driven by the motivation of the heads of their teams. And the head of Stadia's gotten out while the getting's good, so now they're just trying to quietly deal with the albatross around Google's neck that is Stadia because nobody else cares about it.

They're actively dissuading new games getting signed on, and I'd wager we're at the end of whatever already-signed contracts were made in prior years to get titles on Stadia. I doubt it's someone gunning to axe Stadia, they're just running out the clock so they can put it to bed in the Google Graveyard because they know it's not a viable project, and presumably nobody with any clout is standing up for it.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

My point is that it really felt kneecapped right out of the gate when it launched. It was really clear it wasn't ready, and the marketing was pretty anemic.

Repaired Radio
Nov 13, 2017

quote:

Google explained to ZDNet that this was good for Stadia
thread title

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

i wish i could post an image so large it could contain my love for the Google Stadia™, the best way to play video games ever created, but no image is large enough to contain my overflowing and weirdly eroticized love for the Stadia™

Somebody fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Sep 13, 2021

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Stux posted:

A long clown
Alright, I have to ask, do you work for Google Stadia or Google Cloud? Remember, lying got the HA in hot water.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

PowerBeard posted:

Alright, I have to ask, do you work for Google Stadia or Google Cloud? Remember, lying got the HA in hot water.

No, he's just an insufferable, worthless shitposter with the most tired gimmick imaginable.

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

Stux posted:

A clown

Boooooooring

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Rather than have execs actually on the project, you can just connect to HR and stream leadership directly from the cloud - in real time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen

Stux posted:

lol clown

Stux in a rut