Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Good news get ready for LOTS of stadia players. you can get a free the stadia if you buy a game or game bundle for 59.99!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

tater_salad posted:

Good news get ready for LOTS of stadia players. you can get a free the stadia if you buy a game or game bundle for 59.99!

Screw it, I'll bit for a Chromecast Ultra, I guess...

[EDIT]: Huh, turns out that buying anything from there is a nightmare, either on the app or the website. Maybe a chromecast and controller aren't worth it.

PowerBeard fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Oct 1, 2021

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

they aren't unless a CCU is worth 60bux or more it's not worth it

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Funny to watch this now and realize they really delivered on that "no updates" promise.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

biznatchio posted:

Funny to watch this now and realize they really delivered on that "no updates" promise.

Stadia launch trailer posted:

Stadia is only the newest, most logic-defying, mind-bending, absurd gaming platform on earth
:hmmyes:

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Why are they just limiting themselves to earth? Is there something they know that the commoner doesn't? :tinfoil:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

hard to believe reggie watts went to that from this original advertisement he did about Google Stadia
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJQU22Ttpwc

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Oct 2, 2021

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Zil posted:

Why are they just limiting themselves to earth? Is there something they know that the commoner doesn't? :tinfoil:

It's a reference to the fact that humanity will not solve climate change and will cook the planet that birthed them, killing of their civilization for good, and therefore never colonize the stars.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
Which is exactly what’s happening and what makes the “billionaire’s race to Mars” so dumb. You can’t become a billionaire OR get to Mars if there’s no Earth.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Freedom Trails posted:

Which is exactly what’s happening and what makes the “billionaire’s race to Mars” so dumb. You can’t become a billionaire OR get to Mars if there’s no Earth.

that's why they're racing.. to get to mars before earth asplodes

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

tater_salad posted:

that's why they're racing.. to get to mars before earth asplodes

Thing is, even if the earth asplodes it will still be infinitely more inhabitable than Mars

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
No need to go to the arcade when I can stream Mafia 3 straight to my computer

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Well that aged like rancid rainwater on the bottom of rusty oil drum in an abandoned chemical factory near Beirut.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RagnarokZ posted:

Well that aged like rancid rainwater on the bottom of rusty oil drum in an abandoned chemical factory near Beirut.

Rancid rainwater actually has successful development and growth based on its environment.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
Not that anyone should give a gently caress, but i found that Steam works great and is what I'm using to play games from my "good" office computer on the potato attached to the tv. You just download the free app and as long as your potato can push a signal to the monitor, you're more or less set. It was easy as hell and 99% of my games are on steam so that isn't an issue for me. So I've basically got a "free" extra game console now (cost=one semi-discarded laptop). I don't know how Stadia can possibly compete against this and Xbox game pass or whatever that is.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Freedom Trails posted:

Not that anyone should give a gently caress, but i found that Steam works great and is what I'm using to play games from my "good" office computer on the potato attached to the tv. You just download the free app and as long as your potato can push a signal to the monitor, you're more or less set. It was easy as hell and 99% of my games are on steam so that isn't an issue for me. So I've basically got a "free" extra game console now (cost=one semi-discarded laptop). I don't know how Stadia can possibly compete against this and Xbox game pass or whatever that is.

What if your house burns down and you have to sleep in your car huh? Checkmate FUDSTER.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Sandweed posted:

What if your house burns down and you have to sleep in your car huh? Checkmate FUDSTER.

Geforce now?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/NVIDIAGFN/status/1451173430653558786

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

^ obviously this is good for stadia. nvidia hogging their 3080s instead of giving them to retailers means more frustrated PC gamers who can't upgrade and may turn to streaming in an act of desperation

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

1440 !=4k soooo

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
That price though, €100 for 6 months whereas Priority is €50 for 6 months and Founders like about €5 a month, just so you can say you're on a 3080...

That's a nope for me.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
So this is the long-awaited 2nd act for Stadia, as a platform that other companies can use for streaming games.

And... it's not a major games publisher like EA jumping onboard to make "EA Play Cloud" or something. It's AT&T doing a one-off promo for cellular, as they desperately flail around for ways to keep customers.

Bizarre, but it might be testing the waters to add games streaming as a add-on for AT&T cellular and internet services. I don't know how many takers they'd get, but as long as AT&T owns Warner they have do have some of their own games to build the service around. OTOH my odds on anything AT&T does not being completely hosed up are not high.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
You forgot to post the cover image, which kind of says a lot:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

quote:

AT&T caps both unlimited plans at 22GB of data per billing cycle, after which it may slow your speeds down. The difference between the two plans comes down to video quality and hotspot data. Like other carriers, AT&T caps video at 720p by default, though the the “More Premium” plan offers 1080p streaming and 15GB for mobile hotspots.

take boat
Jul 8, 2006
boat: TAKEN

Klyith posted:

So this is the long-awaited 2nd act for Stadia, as a platform that other companies can use for streaming games.

makes more sense to me than trying to create their own console (sorry, proprietary cloud gaming service). there's probably some potential use of Google Cloud for game servers so those could be sold together to developers

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

PowerBeard posted:

That price though, €100 for 6 months whereas Priority is €50 for 6 months and Founders like about €5 a month, just so you can say you're on a 3080...

That's a nope for me.

yeah if it's a permium cost it's not going to fare well I'm not going to spend 15/month to get 1440p. I'll stick with my $5 a month plan.

also LOL @ that stadia image.. they like picked that on purpose it wasn't a critic website image?

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
When unlimited is extremely limited and streaming Batman AK would eat your monthly data in about 2-3 hours.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

tater_salad posted:

yeah if it's a permium cost it's not going to fare well I'm not going to spend 15/month to get 1440p. I'll stick with my $5 a month plan.

also LOL @ that stadia image.. they like picked that on purpose it wasn't a critic website image?

Yeah I am not going to go off my $5 plan for this. I only use it on devices that are 1080p and below anyway.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Also wouldn't nVidia eventually upgrade the servers to the 3080 thing when they want to offer the next latest graphics card with a sexy goblin on the cover as a premium service?

Wonder when Stadia will get it's next server upgrade? HA, please give us an answer!!!

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Ah yes a data limit on unlimited data. God bless America.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

PowerBeard posted:

When unlimited is extremely limited and streaming Batman AK would eat your monthly data in about 2-3 hours.

The funny thing is that despite being a AT&T Wireless promo, you can only play on a desktop or laptop.

take boat posted:

makes more sense to me than trying to create their own console (sorry, proprietary cloud gaming service). there's probably some potential use of Google Cloud for game servers so those could be sold together to developers

I mean it makes sense to the same degree Stadia does: a product that has some very stiff competition in bang-for-$ spending vs things like Gamepass, GFN, and just standard gaming as usual once the shortages end.

Anyone doing it For Real needs to make their product competitive with the rest of the landscape, and that means dropping a bunch of money on "customer acquisition". Otherwise it's just Stadia pt II. The problem is there's still too many fingers in the pie otherwise. There's not enough money per customer for everyone to get paid.

I can only imagine that AT&T did this deal with Google because Google gave them an almost-free trail in exchange for porting a game to Stadia.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
ATT has been offering six months of Stadia Pro for free to home fiber customers for a month or two, so they and Google have already been dealing.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Gutcruncher posted:

I think the weasely bullshit they use to slap an asterisk on "unlimited" without technically lying is that when you hit your cap, they throttle you down to being basically unusable, but they don't cut you off, so you can have all the data you want! But after 22 gigs you're going to dial-up "five minutes per meg" speeds so good luck using it.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
Gaming 1440p? Wow, that's insane and they're right -- the future is now!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

So this might be a silly question but ATT wireless caps its video streams at 720P so how would that actually work for stadia?

I'm thinking that the game streaming isn't treated the same way as say netflix is.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

MechaCrash posted:

But after 22 gigs you're going to dial-up "five minutes per meg" speeds so good luck using it.

Gaming in 320x240, brings back the memories of OG youtube

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Sounds like you actually get 4K if you have an Nvidia ShieldTV, which...that's cool.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Gutcruncher posted:

I feel like in much of Europe such a misleading naming scheme would have seen them in legal trouble over false advertising pretty quickly.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Wait... Wasn't this comic made by someone at Google?