Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Khablam posted:

Imagine buying a product from the largest advertising company in the history of the world, and thinking to yourselves "Guys, we gotta get the word out".

They know that google is going to shut down the service if they don't get a large enough user-base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Tempura Wizard posted:

What's the over-under on Google sending out any sort of "consolation" :dadjoke: prize if Stadia bites it? What do you think they'd send out? Steam keys? Refunds?

Based on the level of customer service people are complaining about on the reddit, it wouldn't surprise me if they just cut and run. I'm certain the EULA says "we don't owe anyone anything", just like most digital content platforms.

You never paid for those games, you paid for the access to them on Google service, when the service is gone you can't access them anymore. Simple stuff.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Tech companies are always advertising positions they are not intending to fill, having a lot of open positions to fill gives the appearance of growth.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Imagine being a Google fanboy.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Bardeh posted:

these stadia reddit nerds are palpably scared that Google are going to shut down the service and run away with their money, aren't they? I can't think of why else they so desperately want to pretend everything's fine. Why aren't they up in arms at how poo poo the service is?

Star Citizen syndrome.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Heran Bago posted:

Downloading and installing poo poo (games, updates, DLC, firmware, drivers, OS) are an inconvenience that can suck when you have like an hour per evening to game in a heavy work week.

Why the gently caress is that not the start and end of any discussion on why playing in such a bad way might be worth considering for some?
Do the current implementations from Google, Microsoft, and Nvidia still somehow have that?

Most versions on stadia just don't have the recent patches. Problem solved.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

STADIA: Where we're going we don't need games to play.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

My PS4 has never downloaded anything when in rest mode.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

MechaCrash posted:

Is there a breakdown for Pro/X numbers? I'm curious how many people upgraded, how many people who didn't have one went right to it, how many people didn't bother, and so on.

I started this gen with a PS4 Pro when Horizon Zero Dawn came out.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Imagine being the fanboy of a mass produced consumer product from a soulless multinational megacorp.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

MarcusSA posted:

AFAIK they can’t preload patches right?

It just gets pushed to live whenever.

Sometimes when there is big updates they dole them out in smaller increments so everything don't break on patch day, but nobody does that anymore because of datamining.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

I wish HA would do something useful with his time like unionizing his coworkers instead of trying to convince a bunch of jaded nerds that Stadia is good.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Rudager posted:

Wait what? This blows my loving mind. Huge lost opportunity is a massive understatement

We live in the day and age where streaming and influencers are far and away the #1 marketing tool in the gaming market to the point that traditional ads try and ape it with fake influencers acting like it's a recorded clip from a livestream, and Google couldn't get their Youtube department to work with their up and coming, game changing, Stadia department to make sure that integration was 100% done and rock solid before launch, and still isn't 6 months later?

They also did this 5 years after Microsoft and Sony baked streaming poo poo into their new consoles at the operating system level, and Google figured it'd be OK to release Stadia without anything at all.

Wow, just wow......

When Apex legends came out they payed Ninja and Shroud to play it for a day and that was enough to catapult it to a nr2 spot in the BR world.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Geforce Now have Fortnite, I assume MS is keeping Minecraft Streaming for Xcloud?

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

hostile apostle posted:

Stadia may outlive SA - just sayin

Stadia, backed by one of the largest multinational corporations in the world. MAY outlive SA.

SA funded by reregs and avatar wars, will probably outlive Stadia.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

univbee posted:

Yes. Apparently it must be on Steam, though, I'm not sure this will be possible with a GOG copy.

Pretty sure the EGS version will run on GFN as well.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

dogstile posted:

They've now clarified you'll only ever hit that if you're duplicating tens of thousands of items. It's a dumb bug, but at least it'll never hit someone playing normally.

Edit: double clarifying that it's stupid as hell

If you craft a lot you will hit the 8mb limit eventually.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

All this electricity talk is giving me flashbacks to the OG Bitcoin threads.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

FAUXTON posted:

We're about to enter the "COINBASE TELLS THEM EVERYTHING???!!?!!" era and it's gonna be rad as hell

Is there a good place to read up on this? I've stopped reading the bitcoin threads.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Flayer posted:

Love the juxtaposition between claiming Stadia is free and bragging about spending over a $1000 a year on a dead platform.

Star Citizens do the same thing, they claim you only need 45$ to play but the starter ships are terrible so when the rube they conned into starting playing SC complains they recomend you buy a 150$ ship or more to get the real experience. The real whales of course have spent 1000$ +++++

And then they go on reddit and posts humblebrags about their "fleet"

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Iacen posted:

SA has this guy who makes threads for all the GAAS games, and it's basically the kiss of death if they start posting about the game...

Is it ICR?

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

https://www.androidpolice.com/2021/06/08/google-kills-measure-its-ar-based-measurement-taking-app/

Another one for the graveyard.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

I payed for Spotify for years, and then they spent like 2 million dollars for Joe Rogan exclusivity or something and I stopped. This is what they do instead of paying the artists lol.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Their posts are bad, but the reactions can be funny.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Stux is the best thing to happen to this thread since the new chromecast launched without stadia support.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Zurtilik posted:

Either/or. I'm not being entirely silly either, like what the gently caress was that?

Proof that video games are art.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Some of the most iconic games ever made was made by a guy in his parents garage, just like google!

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Being a gamer is for many people about being a consumer.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

This new Era of stux is bad and not funny.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

I just don't understand the mindset of these people that throw their lot in with big faceless megacorps and then define their lives around buying products from said corp. Stadia, Apple, Tesla ect what drives people to do this?

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

pixaal posted:

That explains the forums

Yeah but we are a good tribe, these other tribes are bad.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Finally stadia is now on the xbox.

https://twitter.com/tomwarren/status/1441323654571122695

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Zil posted:

Why are they just limiting themselves to earth? Is there something they know that the commoner doesn't? :tinfoil:

It's a reference to the fact that humanity will not solve climate change and will cook the planet that birthed them, killing of their civilization for good, and therefore never colonize the stars.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Freedom Trails posted:

Not that anyone should give a gently caress, but i found that Steam works great and is what I'm using to play games from my "good" office computer on the potato attached to the tv. You just download the free app and as long as your potato can push a signal to the monitor, you're more or less set. It was easy as hell and 99% of my games are on steam so that isn't an issue for me. So I've basically got a "free" extra game console now (cost=one semi-discarded laptop). I don't know how Stadia can possibly compete against this and Xbox game pass or whatever that is.

What if your house burns down and you have to sleep in your car huh? Checkmate FUDSTER.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

jokes posted:

Best thing to come out of Google in years

:wrong::wrong::wrong:

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

This is why stux is the goat.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

This is reminding me of the shroud of the avatar subreddit where the fans believed EA and especially Bioware was paying people to post negative posts.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

This was by far my favorite

https://twitter.com/GoogleStadia/status/1472356008924262401

A DLC news release.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Teeth not big enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU