Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

The disappointment is the only part that doesn't lag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Taintrunner posted:

https://twitter.com/stephentotilo/status/1356324379873968129

I'm glad Stadia is dead and this thread killed it. Also Jade Raymond lol.

https://twitter.com/_omlt_/status/1356327215974273026?s=19
Like some sort of success vampire

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Endorph posted:

also stadia, to its credit, has never tried to market a game about a real life kid dying of cancer as a call of duty killer

I loved the whole Ouya debacle but I'd forgotten about that particular bit :stonklol:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I'm glad I chose gaming over a wife and children so I don't have to be let down by Stadia

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The switch cloud games thing is a bit baffling to me because forget about your actual internet connection, the switch’s actual hardware WiFi is awful. I can’t imagine it actually combining well with cloud gaming.

I can believe it, I tried out streaming Hitman 3 on Switch wifi for shits and giggles and it actually started out fine. Then a few minutes in, it just lagging for half a second about every two seconds, with nothing else actively using the network. :confused:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Gutcruncher posted:

To this day I’m still mad that the switch dock doesn’t have an Ethernet Jack built in. The USB port under the flap basically has no convenient use EXCEPT for an Ethernet adapter! Just put it there!!

I hadn't thought about it before, but I wonder if a generic usb/ethernet adapter would work. Nintendo apparently sells one but I'm not techy enough to know if a cheaper generic one would be any different.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I knew Stadia was doomed when they didn't come out of the gate with a hip new platformer mascot

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

My house burned down, taking my wife and children, but in the end that's just more Stadia time

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

I like this no netcode thing. How do these tools think the games will communicate across instances and data centers?

The cloud!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Sure, you could have hundreds of internal devs working on a single game...or you could just have each one of them bring in a new third party game

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Stadia should've gotten Mario as an exclusive. Just think of the numbers they could've done with Odyssey!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Mirificus posted:

r/StadiaDadia

wikipedia posted:

:laffo:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I can't wait to be disappointed on a second level

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Flayer posted:

(Stadia will still run for a few years at least but the moment Google announce that no further technical upgrades will be done to the hardware running it all then it's effectively done).

I like to imagine them leaving the service open as their GPUs gradually fail and wink out, with the last one finally exploding into flames as all the true believers simultaneously try to run cyberpunk on it

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Ineffiable posted:

Yes officer, this right here is either the cringest post on stadia I have ever seen or it is some massive levels of subtle trolling.

It's trolling, and the opposite of subtly.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Honestly my biggest critique of Stadia is that they went with Microsoft's representation of A/B/X/Y placement rather than Nintendo's long-established tradition

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Nintendo’s implementation just confuses the hell out of me every time. The GameCube one doesn’t because at least the buttons are differently shaped.

Gamecube controller was hugely underrated for having an instantly distinctive but usable layout, the other button placement is just correct by having been imprinted on my child brain in the early '90s with the SNES.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

American McGay posted:

GameCube controller is awful and the only people who like it are late 20-somethings with Stockholm syndrome because they grew up with it, in the same way that I actually don't mind the N64 controller.

You're a late 20-something with Stockholm syndrome!!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

ErrEff posted:

I refuse to believe a 10 year old kid asked for a Stadia cake instead of something based on their favorite cartoon, TikTok meme or Roblox game.

I was gonna say, at that age I was so enamored with the idea of vidyagames that even something controller shaped would've been cool. But that was also in the gameboy era where I didn't grow up with 24/7 computers and smartphones everywhere so maybe you're right.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Stux posted:

looks bulkier, which is fail

lol, it being big enough to fit my large, manly hands was its biggest selling point. Comfy as hell.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Stux posted:

looks like trash, like everything else to do with the failstation "dive" (dive in ratings due to bad)

I can't believe you've had your monitor turned off for the last four months

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You know what the problem with Switch is? Too much portability. I set it down across the room earlier and I don't feel like getting up off the couch to grab it. With Stadia, I could just be picking up a controller right now.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Sure, I could grab the full Shantae download in six minutes, but I'd rather stream it

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Can't game, clown will eat me

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Another person successfully escaping the clown

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Bursting into the thread like the koolaid man, ready to share my browser opinions

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Stux posted:

try reading the thread, i recommend the end of last page

That wasn't a slam, I was about to do it myself until I realized I'm weirdly ambivalent about browsers

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Klyith posted:

Stadia is now good, HA was right, your old games don't matter.

That post occasionally pops into my head occasionally even now and I always chuckle at how dumb it was.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Feel the Stadenfreude

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Sure my house burned down, but now I have the portability to play it on the 8" tv screen in the car I live in. Preferable in so many ways compared to the home setup!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Google I'm begging you, please take my $500 a year to free me from the console tyranny

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I mean sure, if you smear vaseline all over your screen it's gonna look bad :rolleyes:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I believe in you, r/stadiadadia

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

:hmmyes:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

hostile apostle posted:

Turbulent times in clown gaming land.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

And a corrupted save really isn't that big of an issue, when you think about it....just incentive for more replayability when you start over. Thanks, Stadia!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

AdmiralViscen posted:

Maybe one day someone can figure out how to make local backups for stuff like saves

THE CLOWN DOES NOT APPROVE

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I'm sorry to hear that Stadia is not up to the task of satisfactorily running [checks notes] Assassin's Creed: Odyssey (2018)

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Too Googley....or not Googley enough?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I assumed that was about some hypothetical high-powered desktop vs a generic laptop. If it's computers in general, lol at trying to do any real work on some other device. Not to mention, my regular, not-super-expensive laptop upgrade from over a year ago has played every big new game I've tried since then.