Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
Stadia is nice.
For a clown to wear.
At the circus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
10.7 Tera flops for one huge flop

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
I can't wait to see Stadia kill consoles and pc gaming so that I can subscribe to it and wait for 20 years that my ISP finally dies to get a new ISP that gives me full 1080p 60fps capability. :thunk:

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
This will not end up like Google Daydream, no sir.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Zephro posted:

If I had to put my money on anyone it would be Microsoft. They have just as good cloud-computing chops as Google but they also have 20 years of gaming-industry experience thanks to the Xbox.

The same Microsoft that killed off Lionhead, gave Halo to 343 and got us Kinect Sports, Halo MCC and Sea of Thieves? That Microsoft?

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Lionhead sucked rear end tbf

Ok, how's that different from the remaining Microsoft studios?

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

DebonaireD posted:

This looks really amazing but goons will always insist on being loudmouthed pessimists about everything. There's so many interesting things you could do with streamed games that no one's even thought about yet, especially multiplayer games.

If streamed games can make a multiplayer compelling enough that fat kids just gather together to throw themselves in the sea at once and leave gaming then yes I'm all for streamed games.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Blotto_Otter posted:

I mean, this post alone is a larger library of games than the two (2) game library currently announced by Google...

Oh don't worry, we will probably see a third one when Stevia Beta launches 2019.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
Meanwhile in the Android world...

https://www.reddit.com/r/androiddev/comments/b2ztr0/google_terminated_our_startups_developer_account/

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Molestationary Store posted:

Lol this stupid streambox poo poo is going to bomb so hard.

New thread title plz

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

DebonaireD posted:

This system, according to the DF guy, would remove the bandwidth restrictions keeping multiplayer games capped at around 100 people with minimally interactive environments. We could see a return to UO style MMOs with thousands or tens of thousands of people playing in the same shards, which would be so cool and worth 166ms of input latency.

I think this is the best talking point for Stadia.

The second one being bringing gaming to people who didn't think they could game before (on the other hand with this same premise both Ouya and PSTV failed hard, and PSTV at least had a library of games available).

Stadia could be a viable platform for episodic content like Telltale Games adventures... too bad Telltale died.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

zer0spunk posted:

Onlive last maybe a year total? But then they basically sold it all to sony and it seems to be doing alright for them via psnow

Sony bought Gaikai. Onlive tried to entice the market with their Set Top Box.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

pixaal posted:

The idea is it running on hardware that can't play the game. Your idea requires you still have an expensive gaming PC or console.

Define expensive, because Ouya (download), PSTV (download + streaming) and the Onlive STB (streaming) weren't expensive yet they didn't get a market.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

I’m struggling to think up a market for this.

:same:

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Feels Villeneuve posted:

PSTV's "streaming" was "you can play your PS4 on another TV" which isn't really streaming, and also it was maybe one of the worst marketed devices of all time.

Now worked on both PsVita and Pstv. It still had a catalog off-road games that worked on it natively (a subset of WHITELISTED Vita games but still...)

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

RBX posted:

Nobody's dad is going to buy this stuff come on. It was just tax time and Christmas, anybody who wanted a console has one and anyone that doesn't have at least one of them by now either doesn't want them or can't make use of this thing anyway. They're trying to Target people that don't exist.

Agreed but on the other hand, after using Netflix for a while, I can appreciate having a catalog with a lot of content that I can watch without having to own the disk. But to me it looks like with Stadia they are targeting people like me with a technology that might not exist (decent low latency streaming) and with content that does not exist yet.

TV shows existed long before Netflix and therefore it was easy to create TV shows for streaming. On the other hand there are no good games that would strictly require cloud services if not for being masqueraded Mmos (in which case they suck by definition).

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Chewbot posted:

Just out of curiosity, why is everyone predicting doom and gloom for this based on failures from the past?

Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it.

Also American ISPs.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Tired Moritz posted:

So rhis is basically just an intense version of a browser game, right?

No man, it's a browser version of your intense console game!

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

ya but let's be real there's a difference for games where it'll be realtime encoding where latency and bandwidth matters and platform comparisons aren't going to be favourable

I think the eventual 1 month free sub demo will show if Google has made it or not. Also Google was pretty much clear about having made peering agreements with some ISPs (they didn't tell whom however)

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

The Saddest Rhino posted:

can someone let me know if there's an xboxpants-like in this thread

sorry man, it's rendered on the cloud

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
Uh oh Google is in danger! Competition is coming soon! From Walmart!

https://www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2019/3/21/18276235/walmart-cloud-gaming-service-google-stadia-competitor

By the way there's also Hatch by rovio already available if you want to test cloud gaming with mobile screen resolutions...

https://playhatch.com/

limaCAT fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Mar 22, 2019

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Blotto_Otter posted:

Only because they're older; Google's spent the last decade making up for lost time.

I think Microsoft's got the stronger position for making a push into streaming. Like Google, they've got tons of software developers and datacenter space/bandwidth. Unlike Google, they have a lot of preexisting games to put on a subscription service, a lot of game dev studios to make more games for their services, and a subscription download/non-streaming service to complement its streaming services, for users who can't or don't want to stream.

I don't think backwards compatibility is what will make or break a new platform.
People usually want to play new things or old things with a fresh paint and that new car smell.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Cemetry Gator posted:

I'm still trying to figure out why doing video streaming really makes sense. Take a game like Stardew Valley - the thing is about a gig.

Netflix is about a gig to 3 gigs per hour of video - so I can go and play the game for an hour and download more data than I would have if I just downloaded the game in the first place.

For more graphically intense games - that's where you can lose people the fastest.

It feels like the saying - when you have a hammer, everything looks like a nail. I'm convinced that you can effectively stream videogames, but doing your video rendering off site seems like a bizarre way to do it.

Yeah the value behind stadia, of course after considering latency, is more about instant access to games, full graphics coop, high def AAA on tablets and low power PCs. That and whatever Google shows that it's possible to do when you have a cloud for handling physics and multiplayer instead of having your clients which could experience massive lag when you have hundreds of peers to connect with. (Microsoft tried to do something like that with the xbone but never delivered)

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
I think that bandwidth in the end, other than forcing ISPs to drop the caps that were put in place to stop serial pirates and their 24/7 bittorrent, is not a problem. At the beginning of the current console generation people balked at the idea that you should install games on your consoles, yet now with all the three platforms it is the norm.

Google attempt is more about making clear that the streaming technology is ready for more applications other than music and video.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Yeah I'm sure they'll get right on that.

Well, Apple forced carriers to drop off their "appstores" and phone "customizations"

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Kerning Chameleon posted:

The idea long-term isn't to lure you to the service, the idea is to eventually force you to use it because the content you want can't be found on "traditional" venues anymore.

Well maybe there is a reason why personal computing has won the over department mainframes in the 80's. :thunk:

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

e: this isn't the ouya thread, i was tricked!!

It's the same. Nobody who actually buys videogames is talking about Stadia after a couple of months.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

CharlestonJew posted:

which is sadder, this or Ouya's "you can play games on the TV!"

The first game they :airquote:give away:airquote: is the evil mix of packaged game with yearly expansions, loot boxes, Korean Mmos grinding.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

univbee posted:

More like

Stadeada

:smug:

STAD.O.A

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

hostile apostle posted:

There is zero upfront cost to Stadia in just a few months, though. There is a ton of unique stuff coming though - yes it is a big fail that its not there for the big bang of a launch moment.

Still there is the problem of chicken and egg. How can Google convince me to spend €60 on Doom on Stadia instead of on PS4 or PC, since I have both platforms and fast enough internet to download patches? Now scale this up and think about people who don't have fast internet. If Google does not think they need to give everyone a 60 minutes demo sampler I don't know how they will be able to sell the idea to people m

Oh yes the last troubled launch I saw, Destiny Shadowkeep, was because of servers capacity problems not because of my computer or the game delivery.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Cemetry Gator posted:

It has "4K" with 5.1 compressed audio, for $120 a year. For 5 years, I'm spending $600, where a PS4 Pro would cost like $400.

And I don't need to keep paying to access it.

And when the internet goes down, I still have my games!

People who would spend $600 for 4k gaming would also spend $3k on a 4k capable pc and monitor. And when the internet goes down they would still have their games.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

SyRauk posted:

Are they going to talk about Daydream updates or is that dead now? Trying to temper my expectations for something awesome that Google will eventually ignore after 2 years.

Ahahahahahahaha.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

nightwisher posted:

i've been calling the Stadia the STAD.O.A

:respek:

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

The real :pcgaming: experience.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

What point? To get laughed at for one long year by the whole hardcore gaming community, the same community towards which Stadia was targeted at?

Cardiovorax posted:

I suppose that's true, I just find it hard to imagine a corporation with the kind of revenue stream and technical experience that Google has to either be unable to buy enough servers or fail to correctly estimate how many they're actually going to need.

4 seconds of input lag and stuttering is not a problem of servers.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
The only person that could save Stadia could be Elon Musk with Starlink, provided that 1) Starlink works as advertised, 2) it is released by 2020 as announced, 3) ISPs don't force Starlink out of every single market and 4) Musk does not screw up Google by throttling Stadia on it and 5) Musk as a philantrophist decides that it's ok if you want to just stream 40 gb of games per hour and does not put a data cap on it.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

shadow puppet of a posted:

Totally wrong. I have an inside source that Stadia is running on clusters of decommissioned Google Search Appliances.

I'm the blood spatter on the right.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

as someone who worked with satellite internet

lmao amazing joke pal

Because you believe that the other 4 points are surely happening, right?

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

hostile apostle posted:

Even I think you're batshit

Shut up, brand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

EdEddnEddy posted:

While the tech seems unfeasible to us all currently, the main draw I can see with Stadia, GeforceNOW, and Xbox's future implementation of streaming games, is mainly all these companies trying to cash into the gaming market, without having to develop and support physical hardware that is sold to consumers. The gaming industry is worth Billions and everyone wants a piece of that pie. The first company that can Crack that Streaming goldmine and successfully replace users going out to buy Consoles or dedicated gaming PC's is supposedly going to be the "winner" however the technology, while improved from years past still has the limitation of latency/internet access/data caps/etc.

There is a reason why the computer industry exploded after the introduction of personal computers and the videogame industry saw itself growing after the various introductions of consoles, portables and iPhone/Android smartphones. On the other hand when Oracle first and then Sun wanted to reintroduce mainframes they were just laughed off the market. Stadia is Mainframe videogaming.