Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Here, I'll re-write Google's Stadia launch:

Rename it. It's now Chromecast Games. All Chromecast Ultras and any Chrome browser can do it. No new hardware to buy, not even a controller, initially.

Make it clear it's a soft, early launch. Only one game. Destiny 2. Anyone can play it, for free, immediately, by installing the Chrome browser extension or bluetooth connecting a controller to their Chromecast or phone.

Immediate good will. Everyone is understanding of initial issues because it's early days, and it's so impressive that they can jump on a cheapie Chromebook and play Destiny 2. THEN you start rolling out more games, the controller, and eventually the subscription fee once you've proven the technology, made it valuable, and negotiated some discounts for games.

There you go. Bill me, Google.

Actually I think that actively trolling the hardcore market by throwing teraflops and no hardware around gives Stadia more visibility even for free.

"You can play videogames for cheap"
Crickets[1]

"Hey everyone talks about this Stadia thing, but you can play video games in your browser. Hardcore gamers hate it because MISOGYNY"
Gets paraded around.

[1] When Ouya came out, and all the SiliconValley blogs were all about Ouya and how could it killing the videogame market, Sony launched the pstv which was their cheapest gaming platform and it even had ps1 ports. No one cared about cheap gaming for the masses and both platforms died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

hostile apostle posted:

This Tech Jesus guy can't even read and seems be a a liar.

This is precious coming from you, brand.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Mulva posted:

"Remember when Google crashed and burned with game streaming

Highly probable

Mulva posted:

and literally everyone that came after them did it better?".

if VR is any indication of technologies that people just "can't get into" years later after their first introduction, I would say that with Onlive and Gaikai streaming is possibly another one.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

univbee posted:

CAD Stadia bundle

The CAD Stadia Bundle is because it's an abortion?

:rimshot:

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
1457 days remain Apostle

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Barudak posted:

Ill be honest I always biewed the "Kinect is Spying on You" thing as a compounding complaint, something dredged up to make it seem like there were more grievances than "why the gently caress is this console weaker, 100 dollars more, and including a device that had approximately 3 good games made for it over the course of 4 years"

Microsoft made trade offs in graphics and then on top of it added 100$ more to make YOU pay for the worthless piece of brick.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
1456 days left

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

hostile apostle posted:

So he doesn't have the code or the phone doesn't work? Which is it?

Everyone that is a founder has a code now, and the pixel 2 most definitely works.

@fuf, Chromecast is definitely better than Chrome at launch. The app is only needed for the account set up, and the store for now. Once you are set up you don't need to touch it again unless you want to buy something, for now.

You know it's nice to spend €900 on top of the €200 controller just to be able to play games that were touted to not require console hardware lmao.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

hostile apostle posted:

It has nothing to do with the ability to activate on web, but rather what the user does after activation. For now there is no store so how do you get games once you activate?

It's a trick question because Stadia has no gaems

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

shadow puppet of a posted:

Exactly, you gotta take your time and make sure they don't launch without ICQ and MSN functionality. You'd be a laughing stock othewise.

:allears:

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

hostile apostle posted:

LMK when theres a phone that allows two apps to run in the foreground at the same time.

There are many things to criticize the services over, this is a bit of a desperate stretch.

No other game has this requirement, its unique to how Just Dance works.

OK, brand.

E:

E2: https://www.samsung.com/ca/support/mobile-devices/sm-n960w-note9-multitasking/

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Shumagorath posted:

by the time stadia is dead will apostle have spent more on the service and hardware or avatars

Gotta pay the cyber implants for lowtax's spine.

Can we get a mod to add "Paid the Bone Tax" gang tag to hotstyle chipotle's av?

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
1455 days left

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

hatty posted:

That’s some Nintendo poo poo

Yeah but with Nintendo you can still play your carts.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
1454 days left

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Wheany posted:

But the potential though

Nothing than more work on the backend software can't solve save the parts where you need to bend the laws of physics. Or being you know, Google.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

it also overheats and shuts down due to really poor thermal design.

the solution is (i am not making this up) to tape heatsinks to the case.

The solution is wait for the rubes to betatest and buy revision 2

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
1453 days left.

Will Stadia outlast its brothers?

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Cavauro posted:

I love GOogle

Same, and if I am yelling at stadia it's because I really love goOgle and I am doing it for their own benefit!

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
being a psychologist does not make your grandma safe

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

ErrEff posted:

Finally everyone can play The Amazing Frog? and Soul Fjord. Free the games!

Amazing Frog is on Steam I think

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Now "The highest quality pixels" marketing phrase about xbox scorpio or scarlett doesn't sound that stupid anymore.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
1452 days left.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Zoig posted:

Man this thread has been a experience, really just lukewarm until hostile started slowly breaking down trying to justify stadia to both himself and the world at large. I feel kinda sorry for em but I honestly don't get why they keep coming back, nobody thinks the stadia is good for anyone anymore around here and nobody trusts his words because of constant contradictions, so why are they still here shilling for a stillborn service thats already started to rot?

Oh no, before shutdown a google service usually lasts for five years.

Sony turned the PS3 around and Nintendo didn't even shut down after the WiiU debacle (they also managed to turn the 3DS around). Five years (by the way 1451 days left) is plenty of time for Google to being able to turn this piece of poo poo around. Stadia however requires too many pieces to fall in place at the same time, first of all in Google not having the attention span of a pidgeon.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Klyith posted:

lol I bet it has to do that update every single time you play, because patches applied to to the game in the VM go away when the VM is destroyed.

versus once on a console.

That is a 2K problem, not an issue with the VM technology. Docker allows you to build images with your software. Then it allows you to to tag the images you built with a version number. Next time you run the software it will automatically fetch the latest version.

I guess 2k is too busy filling the game with microtransactions to give a drat about using the proper way to distribute a software in the cloud

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/DualShockers/status/1199820632516509696?s=19

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Lol, no. Being offered that much money by Google would just make the publishers see blood in the water and tack on their own lovely streamed services.

That would happen with Google not offering them money but doing semi decently anyway.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
Something that never happened on the PSN.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

fuf posted:

The stadia twist for me was that the latency was actually fine, it just looked like poo poo.

Wonder if they will fix this before 1449 days.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

That Italian Guy posted:

Ok it was not a joke, so as a very quick response to that you can read the criteria used by an extension I use called ReviewMeta https://reviewmeta.com/ (parses Amazon reviews and tries to give a more accurate "review score" by filtering out unnatural reviews).

quote:

Playmobil Security Check Point
We haven't analyzed reviews for this product yet.
We're building our Preliminary Report. Sit tight; this should take less than 1-2 minutes.

That's surprising.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Tetrabor posted:

Stadia's consumer tribalism is pretty hilarious: it's one thing to be a fan and promote a great product, it's something else to fanaticize over a half-baked turd that needs another year in the oven.

You haven't seen star citizen fans.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

ethanol posted:

I mean yeah thankfully that thing literally already exists by Microsoft and Sony and I don’t have to pay google $139 upfront and , $10 a mo, and full price for old games which google lied about delivering 4k in lol

Please don't feed the apostle.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
1448 days to turn around the situation

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

1447 days

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

SeXReX posted:

funny how anyone I actually know who is actually using this says its ok but then there's theres all the people who haven't at all who claim to know better

one of those mysteries of the universe we'll never solve

Funny that Google isn't doing even a "try stadia for free" which would be inline with the way they were known until yesterday, but Microsoft is doing it with Xcloud. It would also be acceptable a two hours demo or a staggered invitation system.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

hostile apostle posted:

You mean the project stream thing they did a year ago?

The difference is that at the time Project Stream was just a curiosity and "you had to be there", now Stadia is a product.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Celexi posted:

the cost mitigation will be the blog post when they shut it down

1446 days?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

reality posted:

This dumpster fire is keeping all of us warm this Christmas. The secret to enjoying google products is to never use them. It makes the pending blog post about shutting it down that much sweeter, versus when you have them and pretend everything is good and cool up until the moment it’s turned off forever in a cartoon *poof* of executive bonuses.