Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

90% the only reason they keep Gmail around (with large storage sizes) is because it gives them a massive amount of data to scrape.

Yup just think about it they've got your receipts for online orders or appointments or keywords and even have scraped your typing habits (remember how they launched predictive typing on it like a year or so ago?)

As said before Google is mainly a data company first and foremost. I can't see how stadia will give them enough data to use that they'd be interested in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

You didn't include that they ended the post with "those Stadia people are Wizards!"

No real poster would capitalize the word wizard like that. It's like a corporate mandated keyword.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

So Google stadia advertised at the VGA (two or three ad spots) and they again emphasized the 4k and 60fps which by my count they haven't actually truly done that with a game yet, am I correct?

Also the commercial was just an old hippie dude yelling at another dude (I think that may be hostile apostle?) about what stadia can do.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

boo_radley posted:

The great part is now I can use my Chromecast as a loving branding iron and sear the chrome logo straight into my goddamn skin, it's like fight club but with a lovely hockey puck instead of lye soap.

His name is stadia sadianson

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

You know one of the issues I've heard people have problems with updates is because their ps4 doesn't get the newest update (the ps4 only checks once in the middle of the night every 24 hours so if they're waiting for a hot new destiny 2 or cod patch they'll have to patch when they get home because the patch went live at 11am or so but the ps4 already checked for that day) there are countless people on reddit who complain about this, nevermind that the rest of their games probably stay updated.

*checks stadia* okay so when a patch comes they might have to wait and install it every day for up to 2-3 weeks?

And on the current 'time to game' discussion, I'm pretty sure you can turn on the Switch that has a game suspended and be back in your game in less than ten seconds. And you can do this. Anywhere. Even on mount everest! Checkmate googlaires.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Hopper posted:

1:21 from game start up doesn't seem all that fast. I mean that's literally from clicking on the game icon. I don't think yakuza kiwami 2 takes even a full minute from start to walking around in kamurocho.

I just did some tests. From a full cold boot to getting into monster hunter world and the gathering hub so I can walk around was 1 minute and 51 seconds on a ps4 pro. That's including pressing my ps4 controller button to send the signal to turn it on, so there's like 5 seconds just from the ps4 getting the signal and getting ready to turn on.

From rest mode to being able to move around was 26 seconds.

And just for you: starting yakuza 2 by clicking on the icon and being able to walk around kamurocho was 53 seconds.

On my switch, going from suspend mode to in the game and ready to walk around was 4 seconds.

Going from cold boot to being able to walk around in Pokémon took 40 seconds.

And well.... Xbox one x took 4 minutes and nine seconds to go through a cold boot (boot to main menu doesn't seem that bad, maybe ten or twenty seconds slower than a ps4l launch halo mcc, start a campaign and actually move around. From rest mode to in game and ready to move was 16 seconds.

Small reminder: all current consoles will suspend and resume one game but they will keep it ready to go as long as they don't run out of power.

Do with this information what you will. I merely just wanted to give some real world comparisons you can use versus stadia.

Ineffiable fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Dec 15, 2019

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

I love these clearly delusional posts sourced fresh from r/Stadia. Keep them coming.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Lol at fanboys saying that it wasn't marketed at 4k and 60fps when those were put on huge emphasis twice (three times?) as a paid and designed live action commercial during the video game awards!

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Ten year laptop guy sounds pretty insane.

Lemme try changing his argument for other consoles.

"Fed up of xbone haters! (self.xbone)
submitted 3 hours ago * by mikebailey_uk

Is anyone else starting to get fed up with all of the haters that dismiss Xbox one?

"Not everyone has high-speed internet" - I do sooooooo, what's the problem. Don't care that I have to download lots of gigs because the patching sucks, it's fine for my situation!

"There isn't good game selection" - Fair.....but how many games can you play at once, they're releasing more and I can wait. At least we have more exclusives at launch than ps4 amiright

"They lied about the quality" - Who give's a f@#k? It works for me and looks good enough, I didn't buy this because I'm spending more time counting pixels or framerate than playing the actual game.

"The lag is terrible" - It truly isn't, and for those saying that it couldn't be used for competition.....who the hell is using Xbox one for competition?

I'm a casual gamer and for me Xbox one is perfect, yeah so what it can go a bit pixelated or stutter every now and then.....and yeah, as a result, I've missed my shot in Destiny or ran off the track in lococycle but guess what?!? I DIDN'T F@#KING CARE because it's a game!"

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

And so it begins.

Are people going to spin it as 'well december is a holiday month so people are playing more than usual'

And I do want to set the record straight. Xfinity only gives you those two months of going over data for free once for your entire account. Not twice a year or anything like that.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Hold up; flag on play;

Yup, sure saved money to play games and own gamers everywhere, only burning nearly triple the price on a PS4 :eyepop:.

Triple the twice of a ps4 pro with taxes! And none of the Sony exclusives.

And yes, here comes another problem.. Google support has never been anything but completely awful.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Man that is some shiny rear end astroturfing there.

Keep posting more.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Second time someone has brought up the 'ad that let's you play the game instantly' idea. Google will never do it is my theory.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

That's an amazing amount of effort and how does stadia help his situation that he couldn't do just by having a ps4 slim in the basement?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Sure, jumping between action parts of games is gonna be fun when you don't know what the controls are like when you switch from game to game. I can see this making people frustrated in the end.

Gonna file this under 'Google still stadin't doing it'

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

There is absolutely nothing that's local to your machine (besides the launcher) right? You can't even get your own save files or modify setting/configuration files beyond what's actually given to you in the game menu options right? You're completely at the mercy that Google won't cancel your account (see how many people lost their Google fi because their Google wallet got banned/closed or something) and the developers to do a decent port that won't have mods or third party patches to fix it. And you're also limited to the games that comes to the stadia library. At least if you have a pc you have the ubi store, steam, epic game store and even games that can be installed without a store launcher.

See I'm not saying the service is the worst idea ever but you are giving up a lot of options/access for some convenience.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Cardiovorax posted:

Essentially speaking, yes, although I suppose it wouldn't be beyond the bounds of possibility to give you kind of virtual desktop environment at some point that lets you access that stuff. I mean, it's basically already a VM, might as well go the whole distance, right? Not seeing it happening, but it's something they could do.

The annoying thing is, if Google wasn't being so mind-bogglingly stupid about it, I actually could agree that being able to all of my games on any of my devices regardless of hardware capabilities would be pretty drat great.

Yeah and I'm not gonna say that's impossible or anything. That totally could happen. That's sort of what they're trying to do with xcloud and GeForce now (whatever that was called)

But right now we're judging stadia based on what it is now.

Also I just wanna say if Stadians are trying to say their service is cheaper, it's not. It's $15 a month for 4k/60fps let's not forget that. (no need to mention it's not doing that on all games anyway). So if I was subscribed for 6 years, that costs $1,080. On top of a controller/Chromecast or any other equipment I need/want.

However if I was to buy a ps5 next year, at probably $500, and buy six years of ps+ at $60 a year, I spend $860 total.

Stadia isn't solving the issue on 'cost' at least for high end gaming.

However if you don't care about that and just want a gaming machine, Xbox one s, and ps4 slims have been under $200 already and they'll play blu Ray disc's as well and have a larger library than stadia may ever will.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Whoops I thought pro was $15 a month. At $10 a month, even if you spend $500 on a console every 6 years and a $60 yearly subscription, then you still about break even so the point remains, you're still not saving much on cost when you compare to the experience that the new consoles will bring.

And I'm gonna lol if there's restrictions on the free stadia mode like... You cannot play multiplayer split screen games or something.

How long did it take ouya to keep floundering around before shutting down the store for good? Like 3 years?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Man whoever said it a few pages ago seems to be correct, they're angling hard on the gamer dad market

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

I love how delusional they are about cyberpunk 2077. All other platforms are over one million users. Stadia is under one million (for anyone that's on the paid 4k/60fps subscription) why is the dev gonna put in extra effort for an edition that 500k users might only get to see and likely wouldn't result in extra sales?

The Witcher 3 had some bad ps4 pro patches for a while that took a few months to get out and that was probably the dominant sales
platform. CDPK aren't magical devs, and this is the same delusion that star citizens have that CIG will magically make the most immersive and deep space game ever when at best they're still copying things that have been done before and smushing it all together in one game poorly.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

I can't see how often Google will likely have to upgrade all the servers since we're about to enter the age of 'free players' soon and I can't see stadia getting that much of a profit for the games themselves (after the publisher/dev cut, after paying off the hardware and electricity use) given the small install base.

Right now their hardware is either not able to run red dead redemption 2 better than Xbox one or the developer can't be bothered to put in that much effort on a port that a small percentage of the overall audience base will ever see (seriously stadia probably represents like 1% of all copies of rdr2 in existence)

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

leftist heap posted:

Destiny 2 on Stadia has 8k people playing regularly, and it's pretty fair to assume that's one of the most popular games on the platform. Extrapolate from that however you like.

I'll do some fancy extrapolating.

If stadia the subreddit with 50k subscribers represent 20% of the potential player base in 2020 (anyone that's subscribed to stadia pro/has a game or will subscribe or buy a game) then we're looking at 250k. This is already generous since r/ps4 has like 2 million subscribers and there's approaching 100 million ps4s.

Most games won't even reach over 30% of the player base. So your average game will sell under 75k units.

That's totally worth porting to stadia right?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

I'd like to remind people that the 4k/60fps/surround sound paid pro membership isn't wowing anyone (that's not a cultist of stadia) and the free membership is going to be even worse. And the games are more expensive than just going on steam or other established platform.

I can't wait to see the state of stadia after the ps5 and Xbox sex release.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

But I've never heard anyone who 'haven't played games before' praising stadia.

The only people I hear from are gamer dads or ones who used to have a gaming pc or a ps4 or nes or snes or switch. Mainly those who used to game before but are finding it harder to make time for gaming.

Stadia hasn't tapped into this 'untapped market' at all. I suppose they may once the 'free option' pops up but honestly anyone who doesn't have a console or gaming pc are playing on their phones and they're not gonna buy $30+ dollar games.

Ineffiable fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jan 6, 2020

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Barudak posted:

I still do not understand how stadia frees up any meaningful time since the absolute bulk of the gaming time experience is not the initial installation, console boot up.

If anything stadia is actually worse because you have to boot the game up every time you switch on your stadia device. On consoles these days unless you're switching games you can keep your game session suspended which means you can literally be in the middle of a story mission. When you resume on console it can literally take less than a minute to actually be playing again. With stadia, if you have to quit you're counting on the autosave hopefully saving plenty of progress for you, or make a manual save as soon as you can. And have fun sitting through all the title and game engine opening credits before being able to load your save.

I get it, there's some convenience in being able to access your library from a Chromecast, chrome browser or phone but there are plenty of things you're giving up just to have that.

Patching and installing games are so immaterial in the long run. I buy all my games digitally and I usually just hit the order button while I'm at work and it's downloaded for me when I get home.(not to mention Pre-orders download in advance) Thanks to auto updates most everything is updated before I play it. Even when I want to play something that just got a patch the very same day, I just play something else while it downloads in the background.

I stalling from disc can be annoying but I guess you can just do it before you go to bed or leave for work.

Ineffiable fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jan 6, 2020

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

What new games are coming to stadia? I think the only one that's not a game that's already available elsewhere is cyberpunk 2077 and even then I don't see that game being out the same day as the console/steam release.

It's like we've said, as it is, Stadia is just a chance to buy your games again just for the minor convenience of being able to play in more places. I just don't see how it's appealing right now when you get a gimped game library and you're behind all other platforms in terms of game releases.

With the lack of newer releases and the library continuing to be extremely small compared to other platforms, Stadia is really just going to flounder around for a year or two before becoming another bulletpoint in the Google graveyard.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Rotten Red Rod posted:

https://9to5google.com/2020/01/03/every-google-stadia-game-2020/

The Crew 2
DOOM 2016
The Elder Scrolls Online
SUPERHOT
The Division 2
Baldur's Gate 3
Cyberpunk 2077
Destroy All Humans! (2020 remake)
DOOM Eternal
Gods & Monsters
Avengers
Monster Energy Supercross 3
Watch Dogs Legion
Windjammers 2

Timed Exclusives:
Get Packed
Orcs Must Die! 3
Spitlings

It's not a great list but it could be worse.

I should have been more clear, I was asking about games that would be new to the gaming population in general as well as stadia, not a port of a game we've already had for 6+ months.

Still a bigger list than I was expecting but let's see how many of those do come out.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

...! posted:

The most common argument used on r/Stadia when the lack of games is brought up is basically "There's at least twenty to thirty games available right now. Are you telling us you bought and completed all of them in the short amount of time they've been available? I know I can't play that many. You're whining about nothing."

No joke. I've seen that exact defense used on r/Stadia so many times, it's mindblowing.

I know it's like debating a wall but come on, not everyone likes every game. For the average consumer they'll probably like 1/10th of the game library that's available so that's only 2-3 games. That's a tiny rear end library.

Tempura Wizard posted:

This and “It’s actually cool and good that we only have a few games, because having [newer and/or better games] would distract us from appreciating [older and/or worse games]”.

That's why I was asking about new stadia releases in the last page. There's really not that many new-new games coming and even still the release dates on all of them is well... Just being hopeful that they come at all!

The amount of hand waving is absolutely Olympic levels of effort.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Looks like people are recommending a travel router. Stadia only gets more expensive!

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

...! posted:

Stadadian having doubts

Gee I wonder if stadia isn't getting mentioned for future releases because it's uncertain how the progress of that porting is going or if they'll even release those games at all.

How many indie games (especially via kickstarter) said they were gonna be in wiiu and decided not to be?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

hostile apostle posted:

D2 and GRID taking up most of my time. Most looking forward to 4K, 60FPS Cyberpunk in April (lol).

Get Packed (Stadia exclusive) looks like it will be a pretty fun couch co-op, Overcooked-esque type game. Not sure on exact release date.

Gods & Monsters, coming in Feb also seems interesting, from the devs of AC:O. Kinda looks like AC:O meets Zelda.

Okay I saved his post so we can find it even if he deletes it after none of those games come out (gods and monsters was delayed for every platform, it ain't coming February unless you mean February 2021)

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Tempura Wizard posted:

Real talk, how many of us here would actually be interested in Stadia if it had an honest to god Netflix-style licensing / payment plan? (Like everyone assumed it would have when it was announced :laffo:).
I know I'd bite. It'd be like the second coming of Gametap, which was a severely underrated service. Instead we have paying to paying to play PC games that known Stable Product Maintainer Google technically can pull at any time.

I for one am I glad hostile is enjoying themselves and looking forward to games. I've backed a few doomed formats in my time. Shine on you crazy diamond. :)

If it was streaming only I'd probably maybe subscribe for a month here and there. Just a paid demo to try out whatever is on the library before purchasing the game on another platform. A lot of people do that with video streaming services where they subscribe to one at a time, watch as much as they can for a month or two and move on.

Xbox game pass is basically the Netflix styled licensing/payment plan and I can tell you in the 1.5 years I've used it so far, I've probably played 50 games or so and I have ditched a few in the first few hours (sorry crackdown 3 you're just not that good) and played the heck out of some (it was nice playing forza horizon 4 on release date) and ultimately I'm satisfied with the service and will keep it up (good thing it sounds like we don't need to buy the Xbox series x for another year after it launches).

Oh and the big thing about Xbox game pass is everything downloads locally and can even be played online (I think your system just has to check in online once a week or something like that, that can be done via a quick 30 second mobile hot spot if needed)

And about having to download the games... I have been buying and playing digital only games for over 5 years now. I have never had to wait for a game to download. The reason is this. I can pre-order the game in advance and it downloads before the release date, or I buy the game via an app/web store while at work and it's downloaded by the time I get home.

The biggest problem comes from people with physical disc's that will have to install via the disc and updates as soon as they insert it in their console, and you know why they buy physical? Because they want to resell them or have more confidence they can keep those games for decades. Stadia doesn't offer them any solution for either situation.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Here's some better numbers.

If you sort this by ps4 only and oldest release date first:

https://store.playstation.com/en-us/grid/STORE-MSF77008-PS4ALLGAMESCATEG/1?direction=asc&platform=ps4&sort=release_date

You'll get about 8 pages at 25 items a page (these are games, not dlc or other content) making about 200 releases to the end of 2014. (yes I'm aware there is some 2013 stuff so this is the ps4 life up to 2014)

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

univbee posted:

In the spirit of being a complainly-pants and playing Devil's Advocate for Stadia, I actually timed how long my PS4 took to patch two games that didn't patch while it was in rest mode for some reason (Overwatch and Fortnite). Both were on the prior most recent version before this. Overwatch's patch was like a gig and Fornite's was I think 200-500 megs somewhere? Anyway, downloading the patches themselves took no time, but the "Copying..." process (actually applying the update) took a total of around 40 minutes for both games which was annoying as gently caress.

This weirdly means that the Xbox One is usually faster to update games for me, because even if they're bigger downloads, my gigabit connection can usually grab the extra data way faster than doing the same on the PS4.

It's also annoying when a game decides to do its own in-UI thing for patching, like NBA 2K20 and Street Fighter V, since these aren't automatically done, you have to explicitly launch the game for these updates to happen.

The main other annoyance is that for games with a season pass (where you get future DLC for free), you still have to take action to get this free DLC, it's not automatic. Like, whenever a new character is released for MK11, there's a patch, and also there's an unlock DLC (which is free for me) that I have to explicitly download.

If I want to bring MK11 to a friend's house who has a PS4 but not that game, it's an annoying process, since even with a disc the game has over 14 gigs of updates now. This would actually be slightly easier with an XB1 since there's a bit more flexibility for external storage (you can have two externals at once, as well as duplicates of games, and it doesn't completely lose its poo poo if you remove an external drive that isn't currently in use), so I can get a 256 gig USB key and copy the game+DLC assets there for travel. I still have to sign into my account for the DLC to be useable, though. This is technically doable on PS4 as well but it's much more of a chore because only one external is allowed and data can only exist on one drive at one time, so it becomes a crazy juggling act, especially if the friend is also using external storage. Regardless, it's generally quicker and easier to just bring your own console.

Now again, THE CLOUD actually solving these problems is all conditional on the cloud version actually being updated properly, and this is a problem to a certain degree across the board including on Stadia.

Stadia was using a stale image of NBA 2K20, forcing a lengthy update on every startup before it was finally fixed.
Stadia's Borderlands 3 is using the launch build and doesn't have any of the events or QoL updates from the other versions, which are pretty significant.

On Geforce Now the Witcher 3 has that DLC gotcha I mentioned recently. There are probably stale games abound, too, but I don't know any other specifics.

On PSNow I know of a few instances:

No longer an issue since it's no longer on the service, but GTA 5 intentionally used a stale image for streaming so you couldn't do GTA Online, only the Single Player. If you downloaded it to a PS4 you were fine, though.

Borderlands 1 (PS3 version) isn't updated so you can't export characters from it to use on the PS4 version. It's also super-easy to corrupt your save because the game is almost constantly auto-saving and if you lose connectivity while this is happening your save gets hosed.

Elder Scrolls Online is similarly not up-to-date if you try and stream it, which since it's an always-online MMO means the streaming version is literally unusable, you never get past the first screen. You're fine if you download it locally.

It actually sounds like plans for the new consoles are going to yield better results and be a much better solution to the install/update problem:

1. They are making it so you can download game assets more intelligently and selectively. For example, it will likely be possible to only install Single Player, or only install Multi-Player, if you only want to do one of those things, and also more intelligent installation for language assets, which would especially be a godsend in PAL territories where some game versions are stupid-large because there are like 8 different audio languages of the game built into the SKU. This was famously an issue with the first Watch Dogs, where on PC you could reduce the game's size from 22 gigs to 15 gigs just by deleting whatever languages' audio files you weren't using (each language had like 1.5 gigs of files), and the menu would even intelligently adjust for this. On consoles you can see this a little with Halo: MCC, which now lets you selectively install game elements.

2. They should be leveraging resources better to download and patch considerably faster than before. Likewise, more intelligent data layouts should reduce the need to do full redownloads of the game client, which was annoyingly frequent this gen (Overwatch did it a few times, as did Forza Horizon 3, Halo MCC, a fat stack of early XB1 games, Division 2, Fallout 76...)

Univbee, I think this post is a pretty good thought piece. We have to remember that soon, Stadia isn't going to be competing with ps4 and Xbox one. Soon it'll be ps5 and Xbox series x and if they have improvements across the board like the intelligent install and ultra fast ssd as well as having graphics more impressive than what Stadia offers then it only looks worse for Stadia as it's left behind in the dust. If this is what stadia is doing with 10 tf, what is it gonna be like when consoles who get increased performance for the same power will look like next year?

And we've said it so many times. The most popular games are either free to play or a popular online shooter (siege, overwatch and call of duty as examples). It seems very unlikely that Stadia will get any of those free to play games and it's going to take a long time for popular online shooters to have an impact since the audience numbers just might not be good enough for a long time.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

There's some good points about locking down the client like you don't need to rely on lovely anti piracy software and it prevents hackers but on the other hand....

Imagine playing a Bethesda game without mods. Imagine playing world of Warcraft without those extra third party heads up display apps.

Preservation of video game data will be impossible in this new streaming service. Aren't there people running unofficial ever quest, ashons call and city of heros servers?

We've said it before and I get that there's some convenience with being able to play your client on browsers, phones and Chromecast but there is a lot of freedom given up to do so.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

This is like a post we saw before like two weeks ago.

'I don't care about performance like the actual framerate or graphics!'

*proceeds to quote the exact power of stadia*

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

leftist heap posted:

All the Dadia posts also complain about lack of time which like... I don't know how Stadia helps with that.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Stadia is not making it easier for you to play.

For what you gain by not having to patch (nevermind that all consoles have automatic patching) / install your game, you lose on having to boot it up from scratch every time (seriously go look how long it can take to boot up a game with all those annoying credits/titles). If you play mainly one game at a time (at least per console) your ps4/switch/Xbox can bring you back to your saved state in the middle of the game from rest mode in less than a minute.

Also as mentioned, stadia will happily kick you off after 15 minutes of inactivity. So enjoy losing progress if you stayed away too long, something that doesn't happen with all other platforms.

So the way I see it, Stadia gives you time savings on the initial install/patching (hope to God that stadia updated the build on the server) but you lose time due to the lack of a proper rest mode and you cannot simply pause and come back after 15 minutes.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

A lot of bad stadia posts on this page...

Okay so this is the ff7 remake one.

This guy acts like there will be segments if ff7 released like every year or month. Hah. Most people aren't gonna care about a one time install every two years.

And his projection is based on the stadia edition releasing the same day. If it releases even one day later, his point ceases to exist. Ps4/ps5 fans will be playing it while they futility await Twitter news on when the game releases for stadia.

All this hopeful wishing is like 'how cool would it be if we could do this!' this is exactly the same kind of delusion that drives star citizen fans.

Most people don't judge products by their potential, they judge it based on what it does currently.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

...! posted:

Stadia version won't release the same day. It's a timed PS exclusive.

Just to be clear I was talking about future segments. Though who's to say future segments won't be timed exclusive either? I'm saying with how game devs are treating the stadia edition so far, it's incredibly hopeful to actually have release day parity for future games.

Stux posted:

the ff7 remake post about streamers literally doesnt know that preloads exist

I'm pretty sure they cherry pick arguments that make owning a console look bad.

'I got home from the store and I immediately wanted to start playing halo 5 with this massive Lan party I have, but I couldn't because it had to install!'

Like dude, get the game sooner or plan the Lan party for the day after. Most games are tuesday/Friday releases, if you play on Saturday there's almost no patches to worry about and you can install and game all day Saturday.

' my baby cousin scratched my disc and I can't play destiny 2! If I had stadia there wouldn't be a disc to scratch!'

'my girlfriend broke up with me and damaged all my games. Thankfully my stadia was untouched since she didn't even know it was a video games console'

Ineffiable fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jan 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Another point against stadia (unless it's proven otherwise) that I don't think we've addressed.

So for the casual gaming audience that largely plays online games (and some hardcores), a major thing they like to do is change username/profiles. Either they want a fresh elo/skill data or just want a brand new username with no history, they can do so and still keep their games even if it's physically or digitally (for example on ps4 all primary accounts on a ps4 share their games with any account logged into the same console).

Not saying everyone uses this function but it happens. I'm guessing on stadia that your games are linked to your username so you have to buy another copy of the game if you want to smurf it up or just start over.