Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

P-Mack posted:

Yeah and a laggy mouse cursor feels absolutely horrible.

I think the guy he’s responding to was mixing up two different kinds of latency. Playing Counterstrike 1.6 with a 120ms ping was tolerable because your inputs were still reflected relatively instantly on the client side and the network latency only became apparent when there was a major disagreement between clients.

40ms is the threshold where average people start to notice a delay in actions like clicks and keystrokes. 100ms+ would feel pretty bad for basic UI functions and camera controls. That’s when you start fudging up inputs because what you’re seeing on the screen doesn’t match what your hands are doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Chewbot posted:

Just out of curiosity, why is everyone predicting doom and gloom for this based on failures from the past?

I'm not convinced it'll work either for good reasons, but I'm hopeful and I'm glad to see someone with Google's resource give it a real try. I guarantee they have an army of people infinitely smarter than me and you invested for now, and if it isn't running flawlessly for the entire planet at launch, that doesn't mean we should kill and bury it. Not to mention a company like Google trying to brute force this into existence means they fund and develop technology that may benefit us in a variety of ways, even if streaming games fails.

Kind of reminds me of all the poo poo-talk out there about VR and I freaking love VR, even in its infancy. Can't wait to see VR evolve, looking forward to this too.

People predict doom and gloom because Google has a long history of pushing services that they refuse to properly support with all their resources and then abruptly terminate when some spreadsheet calculation turns out the wrong way. Google specifically has pushed a major internet infrastructure project before and unceremoniously cancelled it when they ran into the first sign of trouble. You think people shouldn’t be skeptical?

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Mar 21, 2019

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

What’s the sub for then

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

lol they finally figured out how to charge families for multiple copies of the same game

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Cabbit posted:

The most galaxy brained take I've seen on this is people thinking that this is somehow going to pressure ISPs into getting rid of data caps and investing in broadband infrastructure.

Comcast will give you as much data as you want. They don’t ever stop you from downloading more.

It’ll just cost $15 for every 50gb extra.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Darth TNT posted:

I encountered this comment on GamesIndustry and thought it was really good and something I hadn't considered.

These companies very intentionally do not want the general public to easily play their prerelease games. Someone who waited in line for hours is either already a fanboy or is going to lie about how good their experience was to make the time seem worth it.

Companies can already pull the “and it’s available now!!!” move for digital games and they rarely ever do so because it’s probably not actually good marketing.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Local streaming is massively impacted by network conditions. I think people underestimate how sensitive streaming performance is to network hiccoughs compared to things that cause performance drops in traditional systems. And the issues aren’t slowdowns or pop-in, they’re complete freeze-ups and block-outs.

I played through all of DQXI streaming with the Shield on my hard-wired TV and Moonlight on my laptop. When it worked it worked well, but it took a ton of troubleshooting on my router to get the game to stop hitching up every few seconds. The solution was to reduce the channel width and suck up the 50% loss in bandwidth.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Woah I thought they cancelled this thing

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Super Jay Mann posted:

What's a Wii U?

Is it some sort of Wii addon?

No joke, I was in Gamestop the other day swapping out my old Switch for the new model and a lady came in looking to buy a Wii for her son. She went searching for games only to find out from the clerk that she had picked out a bunch of Wii U ones.

If that's still happening now, it must've been real loving bad before.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

US broadband infrastructure is poo poo both in rural areas and in the cities and I doubt that Europe is going to be any better in terms of latency. Japan might have an edge in one or two cities.

There is no way Google Stadia is going to become a runaway success in Poland or whatever. “You’re not the target audience” is a really funny way to respond to every potential user with a concern about how Stadia gets implemented. If you say it enough then sooner or later the target audience becomes very small.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Aug 20, 2019

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

“Imagine Netflix if they made you buy all the movies” is a real loving funny sales pitch though

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Predicting future performance based on past behavior and the lack of acknowledgment of any issues? Unthinkable. I prefer to live in the now.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Stadia 100% isn't going to do any of that poo poo in games unless developers specifically accommodate it and that's without considering the practicality of whatever the gently caress they're talking about.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Can't wait to find out what happens when Google realizes that the market that isn't interested in buying consoles or PCs to play games is also the market that runs 802.11g on modem/router combos with the same channel as 30 of their neighbors

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

hostile apostle posted:

GRID Has a 40-Car Mode on Google Stadia That’s ‘Just Not Possible with Other Hardware’
https://wccftech.com/grid-has-a-40-car-mode-on-google-stadia-thats-just-not-possible-with-other-hardware/

This is where cloud gaming will really shine - looking forward to it opening up new game play experiences not possible with the local hardware

They don’t explain why not

Games on Stadia aren’t getting multiple dedicated GPUs

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Sorry, these interviews don’t tell me anything about what hardware Google is dedicating to reserved instances for each game that outclasses what’s available for consumers.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Wheany posted:

Remember that Xbox mushroom cloud slide? It's that.

I'm trying to figure out which is the better analogy: Microsoft claiming that Crackdown 3 couldn't be done without Azure, or EA claiming that SimCity depended on network access to process things in its tiny cities. I guess they're both similar, but with SimCity it ended up being a complete lie.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Nov 13, 2019

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I think I could buy that having every server in one giant datacenter LAN would reduce some network bottlenecks, but how do you ensure that every player is in the same datacenter? Do you matchmake by micro-region and accept the correspondingly-tiny playercounts and lovely experience associated with that? Do you matchmake across the US and then dump everyone on the same datacenter on one coast or the other, letting the most remote players suck up the increased latency? How do you consolidate players in large datacenters when minimizing latency forces Google to set up more, smaller datacenters close to where people live?

Has literally any developer stated or implied that latency is what keeps them from increasing the number of cars in their game?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Rotten Red Rod posted:

THIS should have been their messaging all along. Like, it was stupid to even call it Stadia, or anything other than "Chromecast". Just go, "hey, soon you'll be able to play games on Chromecast! Here's the games available first, we'll have more later."

Instead it's being marketed as a whole new big thing, making a ton of promises it can't possibly live up to, and the messaging about the pricing is so hosed up most people think you need to subscribe to use it.

people don't have *that* chromecast though

people have the version built into their TV, if they even remember that's what it's called

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Harminoff posted:

Last year Google had project stream and I thought they promised a free steam key of assassin's Creed. Did they ever deliver on that? Don't think I ever got a key.

they did but it took like 3 months

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

hostile apostle posted:

For as much as some people are saying how poo poo its going to be, they sure like to spend a lot of their time reading, thinking, and posting on it.

I've read this literal exact sentence in every single thread where people justifiably give a hard time to bad-sounding ideas and it's making me think I've been on the forums too long.

This must be how elderly people feel when they've squeezed all the juice out of life and start seeing the same patterns over and over again

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

For the record I like thinking and posting about questionable cloud transitions because dealing with those is part of my actual job

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Flayer posted:

Weren't Google laying out their own full fibre internet cables across America at some point? (In traditional tech world fashion I think they started in like 3 different neighbourhoods of different cities).

Maybe Stadia was supposed to be the grand culmination of that network and nobody told the dev team it hadn't happened yet.

I’ve been told that none of Google’s experience in trying to be an ISP and running media services means they should have something to say about the operational environment they’re trying to deploy their new product in. It’s not a problem that they hand wave away the infrastructure issues because they can’t be expected to do anything about it, like talk about data center sharing with existing ISPs, negotiate to lift caps, or other investments.

:shrug:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Google tossed some cash at the city council so they could walk away without paying for more than a small fraction of the repairs. I think some grade schools got a new computer lab.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

an actual dog posted:

I live alone, hardwire everything, have great internet, control what happens on my network like a loving freak. I would probably get the best possible experience with stadia. Instead, I'll use my local hardware. Who is this for??!?!

Mostly the same but in-home streaming with Nvidia still feels off. Like there’s some unavoidable chunk of input lag right above the threshold of noticeability.

Weird stuff you wouldn’t expect to cause network hiccoughs will affect games, too. They’re insanely sensitive to network conditions.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

You can have a Pixar supercomputer rendering your game but if you’re just going to compress the video stream down to 20mbps there’s not much of a point.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

American McGay posted:

90% of people with a console hooked up to their lovely Black Friday $400 HDTV don't even put it in game mode. I think the general public is a lot less perceptive of input lag than most true gamers realize.

If they can get streaming down to something like <50ms added (tests show Stadia is already in the 50-80 range) I think that would be in the realm of acceptable for most use cases.

A TV not in game mode has about 40ms+ in latency. 30ms is the figure studies say is the threshold of noticeability for average people. Stadia has 50-80ms.

What do you think happens when you have Stadia on a TV that’s not in game mode?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I’ve never seen a game system launch where instead of being anxious that their preorders haven’t shipped people are relieved they still have an opportunity to cancel

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

You guys realize the 44ms latency is additive and not total right

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

When I had an issue with Gmail accounts the only way I was able to get support was to have an actual Google employee offer to do it over his personal email

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Ohtsam posted:

Total Destiny 2 population for stadia on Nov 20

Total Destiny 2 population for Steam on Nov 20

And this is logged in at all period not concurrent

Ok wow no surprise the matchmaking is unusable

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

leftist heap posted:

The focus on instantaneous latency when the bigger issue is variance is weird.

the word for that is jitter

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Wait, you're not allowed to play $60 games at 4k without an additional subscription?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

wyoak posted:

People play Fortnite on spectacularly lovely cellular networks, it seems insane to think an additional 44ms of lag is going to matter to most people.

There is a massive, fundamental difference between remote rendering/processing and local rendering/processing with net code that makes this comparison apples to oranges.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

gschmidl posted:

Google search is loving GARBAGE now if you don't want to find herp-de-derp stuff. Ignoring words, using synonyms, like, no, motherfucker, I am searching for THIS SPECIFIC EXCEPTION and not an unrelated one for gently caress's sake.

Love when I search for specific terms and the top results specifically exclude those terms

Like what the absolute gently caress

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

repiv posted:

google is throwing the game developers under the bus for not meeting the 4k/60fps promise that google made

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1198968290347036672

Google can’t even coordinate with itself so I would not be surprised if they didn’t work with developers to help them understand and work with the constraints of the platform. Launches are supposed to be a team effort.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Lambert posted:

Use quotation marks " " around terms or phrases for explicit searches.

It’s not an explicit search, it’s a keyword search and Google specifically excludes one of the keywords for the first few results. You can click a thing in the results to add it back.

If it type in {rear end magician} I want results with rear end and magician, not “rear end magician” as a phrase. What Google is doing is showing results for {rear end -magician} on the first page and then transitioning to {rear end magician}.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Nov 26, 2019

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

No Wave posted:

that is not what occams razor means. It does not mean that the simplest explanation is usually correct because that is a terrible rule of thumb. Occam's razor is like a middle ages science thing about not using unnecessary assumptions when using axioms to make up physics and stuff like people were doing back then. Poor Occam. So abused.

don't correct people it's funnier when they get it wrong

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

No Wave posted:

I think it's crazy that people would choose "more pixels than 1080p" over responsiveness and not having lag spikes and shifting image/animation quality. You get more pixels than something that already looks great but lose on everything else, it makes no sense.

More likely, nobody is actually making that choice and stadia users are people who are rigidly opposed to owning a console for whatever reason.

the average person wants games that both look good and play well even if they don't know the specific terms for things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

leftist heap posted:

I basically don’t believe anyone who says the experience is perfect. Either they’re lying or they just have a weird tolerance for games playing like poo poo

My favorite example of this is people saying they have a flawless experience playing games from hotel WIFI connections. Either they just let it load to the main menu and called it good or they played through an insane amount of freezes, jitter, and compression blocking and called it a solid experience.