Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Looks dumb and stupid.

So par for the course for the last decade or so of Google products.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Why are these dumb tech companies convinced that just because music and movies thrive on streaming platforms that video games are poised to thrive in a similarly formatted environment as well?

Music and movies are very very different from video games in both a technical and usage context.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Why does this exist again?

Not even being snarky, months and months of information and I'm still not sure what it is Google is actually selling.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Andrast posted:

google wants to be the netflix of games

Okay yeah I get that. That's a goal though, not the means to reach that goal.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Legin Noslen posted:

People own Wii U's.

Do try to be less stupid.

What's a Wii U?

Is it some sort of Wii addon?

Civilized Fishbot posted:

Given that you still have to buy the games, it seems more like netflix for graphics processing, right? The pitch is "don't get a good graphics card, outsource it to us" the way netflix is "don't buy dvds, outsource it to us." $10/mo to rent access to a graphics card at some google data center.

If it were netflix for games, where you get the games for free, the extremely limited game inventory would make more sense - that'd be something like EA access, which is pretty neat.

The audience for this, I guess, is people with bad computers who want to play very particular games at high graphical quality, but who aren't interested in doing anything else computationally intensive.

You know, marketing this as a turbo-powered gaming PC you can access and play from any device might have actually worked as opposed to whatever "game streaming!!!" nonsense they're trying to peddle as of now.

Super Jay Mann fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Aug 19, 2019

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Fallom posted:

No joke, I was in Gamestop the other day swapping out my old Switch for the new model and a lady came in looking to buy a Wii for her son. She went searching for games only to find out from the clerk that she had picked out a bunch of Wii U ones.

If that's still happening now, it must've been real loving bad before.

I didn't pay the idea that the Wii U name would be so confusing much mind when it came out assuming that people would be able to tell the difference and it's still astounding how utterly wrong I and a lot of other similarly-minded people were.

For a really huge group of people, the Switch is the Wii successor, it just came about 5 years late for whatever reason.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

hostile apostle posted:

No doubt it's gonna take at least 3 years for any AAA first party content. Google is building something for the future - it's not just about today and they have the resources to make the investment upfront.

It's short-sighted to look at the situation today and immediately write off the service ever having success. If anything its well-positioned to take advantage of all the changes coming in connectivity (5G) and Google will be well ahead of MS and Sony. Expecting this thing to be 100% mature and with full feature set at launch is obviously not realistic.

Wait, what's the last thing Google ever built that was designed "for the future"? It's search engine aka the very first thing?

Cause in case you weren't aware, that is not how they roll in 2019. Or 2009 for that matther.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

hostile apostle posted:

Free to play games find a way to operate (very) profitably despite that most users don't pay, right? Payers (subs) subsidize the non-payers (ala cart).

F2P games are subsidized by addicts. I'm not seeing the addictive quality in Stadia that would lead to a similar thing happening.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Richard M Nixon posted:

I just pre ordered yesterday. I finally got the premise for Stadia. I was thinking that it was just another 'console' or a way to sell games to the apparently huge audience that doesn't own a desktop pc. It clicked with me that the power is in the potential.

If (and it's probably a big if) they get a developer to actually make a stadia exclusive game, it would be unbound by hardware rendering requirements. The size and complexity of games could be truly epic, assuming that latency doesn't gently caress over the whole thing.

I'm tentatively excited about it. Still pissed that fragmentation means I can buy red dead at least 3 times instead of just licensing the loving game.

Source your quotes

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Consumer VR was and still is riding the wave of massive hype from a couple years ago, it's basically just kind of a thing that exists at this point without any real sort of mainstream traction. Much like Stadia will be in a few years, assuming Google hasn't already killed it.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Tetrabor posted:

VR isn't dead because it's not even alive yet. Very few people know what a Quest or a Vive is compared to the legions of Xbox and PlayStation owners.

That being said, VR would go hand-in-hand with Stadia since body movement is at a much lower speed than mouse/controller, and beefy servers are much cheaper for consumers than a hardcore gaming rig required for quality VR.

That's a good point, and it's a good thing that Google has an already developed platform for VR experiences that they could easily integrate into their Stadia platform to make that kind of integration smoother and more accessible to the consumer.

Oh, wait...

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

pixaal posted:

They could have a time machine and run computers from 2044 that will not change the fact that the network connection is poo poo, what sends the player input to the server and then the game output to the player, will still be 2019 and completely unmaintained and run like poo poo.

You just keep linking marketing videos, there are zero real world videos because they have not let the public touch it. If this was a good product google would have done their usual send a few out and get people talking. The fact that they have NOT done this means they don't actually have confidence in it.

There's also the question of how exactly Google is going to pay for these supposed expansions and constant refreshes of their server hardware. There's a lot being said about how you "don't have to spend money to upgrade your PC" but the cost is going to be passed onto the consumer one way or another, and a piddly $10/month subscription+residuals from 60$ game sales are not going to cut it.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Ouya by Google: The cancellation feature will be available in 2-3 weeks.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

VR will never be "there yet" until headsets are no longer a required formfactor, so good luck with that I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I would enjoy Google taking full control of the world's computing since that would mean they assume all the energy and maintenance costs associated with such. As well as all the legal liability when things go wrong.

I swear I'd say all these fools have their head in the clouds but that's way too on the nose.