Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

DLC Inc posted:

great cant wait to Discover Games and have a unique social connection with 1 million people while Google sucks the info out of my harddrive

Don't worry, google already has all that info

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I don't care about the flops

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

lol cross platform

Going to be great to kill people who have ~100ms of input lag

Real pros move next to google datacenters

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

pixaal posted:

Who says you can't modify it? There's existing streaming companies that stream an entire desktop interface. They actually work better than Google's streaming service too. With these you are more renting a gaming computer by the hour and having it on demand anywhere but nothing says you can't implement modding into a more tailored experience.

Console games have mods now.

You're definitely never going to have a hacky mod like Daughters of Ash for Dark Souls 1 on a streaming gaming platform

Andrast fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Mar 19, 2019

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Hearing about how lovely american Internet is will never cease to amaze me

Andrast fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Mar 19, 2019

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Tormented posted:

Yes. Google is just being dumb by trying to show off games that require good reaction times and aren't normally limited by internet. There are so many "slower" games that would be fine with having 166ms response time. I mean any turn based games or even multiplayer only games as you limited by your connection anyway.

Laggy and unresponsive menus suck in turn-based games

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Bardeh posted:

What? 25 megabits might be tough for a lot of the US outside major cities I guess, but throughout Europe speeds above that are pretty standard by now.

Yeah that's pretty much what you need for netflix

The bandwidth isn't going to be the issue with 1080p streaming

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I have gigabit up/down in my small (~30,000 people) city in NY :hellyeah:

and you will probably have terrible latency with Stadia

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

RBX posted:

Because if they did the switch would get hacked quickly

How would a game stream affect switch hacking

Edit: you obviously meant the browser my bad

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Chomp8645 posted:

If it really does consistently chug 15 gigs per hour then it is straight up not compatible with American infrastructure.

The amount used is pretty consistent with normal streaming of 4k video

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

notaspy posted:

I really think this thing is the future but I am willing to be told I'm wrong.

I've owned consoles and built my own gaming PC's but can't be bothered with owning hardware anymore due to the capex, a service I can switch on and off again is right up my street. I don't want to be in the obsolescence game anymore, always worrying about the next upgrade or new console, so a streaming service gives me wood. Let google worry about keeping their hardware up-to-date. I don't want games boxes sitting around.

For me the stadia is the sweet spot between the consoles and pc.

I'm not bothered about having a 3500 back catalogue, I barely play 1% of those in my heyday let alone now I am settled and will only get a few hours a week tops.

I do have a few concerns about throttling as at times I would want to limit the thing to 1080, I've never played 4k so I won't mind.

But back to the xboneonlinecloud - will it be hardware free? Some of the blurb I've seen on the internet says no. And do we have a cost for it?

I was going to impulse buy this yesterday but E3 is coming up so I'll wait until after that. The killer app for me will be cyberpunk 2077. If that announces I'll buy 2 just to make sure.

why the gently caress would you not wait until it's shown to work before buying stuff like this

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Also the Switch is incredibly good whereas Stadia looks like incredibly poo poo

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Nobody owns or has ever owned a Wii U so it's effectively exlusive

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I still own a Wii U

I guess you are a nobody then

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The deepmid would be flicked because it's used to everything being delayed because of latency

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1163499214417956864

lol rip that game

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Super Jay Mann posted:

Why does this exist again?

Not even being snarky, months and months of information and I'm still not sure what it is Google is actually selling.

google wants to be the netflix of games

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Super Jay Mann posted:

Okay yeah I get that. That's a goal though, not the means to reach that goal.

they don't have the means

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Klyith posted:

if google wanted to be the netflix of games they'd be spending netflix money on content for it

Just because they want to be something that doesn't mean they are doing it well

see almost every google project that gets unceremoniously shut down after a while

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Legin Noslen posted:

People own Wii U's.

Do try to be less stupid.

nobody has ever touched a Wii U

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The 7th Guest posted:

the bigger thing is that you'll hit your data cap crazy fast and north america has caps in abundance

It uses a comparable amount of data to Netflix.

It's latency that's the main issue

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The 7th Guest posted:

when people binge a show on netflix though they don't do it for thousands of hours like they would with Destiny 2

Yeah they do

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Combat Pretzel posted:

Netflix content is typically not 60fps. That pretty much almost doubles the requirement. Nevermind 1440p or 4K.

don't worry neither are most games

but who cares google is going to quietly shutter this thing down after a year or two anyway

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The 7th Guest posted:

they just watch maniac and dawn of the croods in full 200 times?

No they watch other series

people watch a lot of TV shows

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Combat Pretzel posted:

Speak for yourself. All my games run at 1440p beyond 60fps.

And I'd rather keep doing it that way. Stadia exclusives don't really allow me to do that anymore. At least on the notion of only having 16Mbit downstream with a 500GB cap.

I don't think you are the target audience even if Stadia did work well (which it won't)

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Combat Pretzel posted:

They're trying to force me to become part of that target audience, if Stadia exclusives are becoming more of a thing. Which I hope it won't. I'd prefer to play the games on release, especially if there's a multiplayer component available on release.

Considering you need to buy the games, if Google doesn't fumble the release, I can see EA and the like jumping on the train, too, because it's making it essentially impossible to pirate for the exclusivity time span. That means likely more dollars, and that's what the big publishers care about foremost.

It's not like you can play PS4 or Switch exclusives on your high end gaming machine either

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Yea that would require them to develop a game specifically for stadia instead of just porting current games.

I don't think increasing player count is going to make for better games either

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Tired Moritz posted:

Stadia is for people that can afford unlimited highspeed internet but don't want to buy a console for some reason. So it's for stupid people.

Your internet doesn't need to be that high bandwidth for Stadia.

It needs to be extremely very low latency to a google datacenter and very consistent, not particularly fast. That is way more difficult to achieve than straight up speed though.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Aug 20, 2019

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Klyith posted:

OK, that's a compelling case for Stadia in the future when Google has spent AAA money on exclusives. If they do. If it offers a better experience. If highspeed internet is not a problem.

Right now, and in 2020 when the next consoles launch, the economic argument is weak. And that's assuming the streaming experience will be 100% on par with local.

But you also need to adjust your time exceptions -- if they've just started up the studios this year the big exclusives ain't coming until 2022 at the earliest. Google can use their giant resources to put game-server hardware all around the world in just a few months. Ain't nobody ever figured out how to make games faster.

lol if you think Google hasn't abandoned this by then

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Blotto_Otter posted:

You mean like Phil Harrison, architect of the impeccable PS3 and Xbox One launches? Does he count as a superstar?

And they have a business model that makes sense. Game streaming doesn't make a lick of sense without a subscription fee, and Microsoft is already establishing a good subscription-based service before they even launch streaming. Google, on the other hand, won't be able to offer a compelling subscription-based service for years, if ever, and is rolling out an initial pricing structure that seems guaranteed to piss off a bunch of customers at some point down the road.

Yeah xbox game pass is already a good service and it would make perfect sense for them to add streaming as an option to that

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I have no idea why someone would trust google to make a good product and support it properly in 2019

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

hostile apostle posted:

just watch the GDC presentation

:lol:

please watch this google marketing presentation so you know how good stadia is

Andrast fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Aug 20, 2019

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

hostile apostle posted:

How often do you go back and play games you bought 5 years ago? Even 2 years ago?

pretty often

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I really don't envy Philip Spencer's job of trying to right the xbone ship after the previous guy totally hosed it

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Sleeveless posted:

People who hate Google make people who hate Apple look like people who hate Microsoft.

tbh there's something wrong with you if you don't hate all corporations

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

tater_salad posted:

here's the thing that project X gets me on.
I can't play on PC.. it's tablet / Phone I don't wanna play friggin RDR2 on a phone,
I want to play on my PC (no)/ Laptop(nope) / TV (buy an xbox and play on that).

My dream for stadia is that I don'' need to keep upgrading $300 consoles or dragging the xbox from my kids room, or moving my PC to a living-room to the TV for the limited time I play on a TV. I would however like to play more complex games on my laptop than things like 911 operator, or open TTD.

Play Slay the spire

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/GenePark/status/1196488999524802562

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

an actual dog posted:

EA has a subscription service that is $5 per month for year old sports games and $15 per month for the newest, and that's almost certainly going to transition to a streaming service somewhere down the line.

Streaming services are really expensive to set up so they definitely aren't going to do it themselves and I don't think EA is interested in having google/microsoft/whatever taking an extra share of the pie

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

an actual dog posted:

That doesn't mean it isn't going to happen, they're just not jumping on it as fast.

I don't think you understand how expensive it is if you aren't already in a business where you have to have datacenters everywhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

an actual dog posted:

I know that, I'm saying that at some point EA is going to be able to negotiate prices that work for them. lol what are you even arguing with

Well sure EA games will appear on streaming services if they take off, just like games from everyone else. No publisher is going to say no to one if there's actually money to be made there.

I thought you were saying that EA wants their own service