Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Fuckin' lol, I'm pretty sure my local PC shits on what Stadia can get to me pretty easily. 1440@120fps and everything maxed+ray tracing is goddamn delightful, and it was 1200 bucks, way less than what the Stadia shills say a computer that can play at that standard costs. It's not 4k, but I'll take the increased frame rate and it's not like I own a drat 4k monitor anyway.

Plus it can do VR, I'm pretty sure a Stadia and VR would be a one way ticket to barfing on your shoes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Antigravitas posted:

My mid-range GPU has 16 TFLOPS. :smugdog:

(half precision :v:)

It's fascinating how people don't grasp one very important thing: Nothing you see in the cloud server space is more powerful than what you can have at home. All the cool tech you can't have revolves entirely around cooling, leaving out the gamer-LEDs, and management. They are typically _less_ powerful to conserve energy, because energy cost absolutely dominates their balance sheets.

The crazy cool tech poo poo you can't have rests in the realm of supercomputers and it's all about really fast interconnect and again, cooling and management. The CPUs and GPUs aren't much different there either.

They have this obsession with talking about how Stadia is the strongest, fastest thing around. Why they never talk about how it does at its price point instead is baffling. You don’t need to be King poo poo of Turd Mountain if you’re cheap!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

ratbert90 posted:

The Radeon 9800 was the longest-lived card ever produced. :colbert:

God I loved mine. I only had it for a year before I replaced that whole computer but it kicked an insane amount of rear end while I had it. The actual computer it was in was a piece of poo poo but it could still run HL2 on high thanks to that card.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

...! posted:

I paid $100 for a new Voodoo 2 card when it was released and then somehow (thanks to a bidding war that I still don't understand) sold it used on eBay three years later for $95. The winner really wanted my card for some reason. It was previous gen tech by that point, so he could have bought a new, unopened Voodoo 2 for much less money at that point.

Probably compatibility or power draw. A lot of prebuilt computers had motherboards that only worked with specific power supplies. That Radeon 9800 I had? I had to cut open the side of my computer, run a bunch of power cables through, and bolt an auxiliary PSU to the side. The only thing running on the stock power supply was the motherboard and processor. If you wanted an upgrade without making a total Frankencomputer, sometimes you had to buy old stuff secondhand.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

OxMan posted:

9800 sucked iirc it was a 9800 PRO you wanted. I also remember its Nvidia budget successor 6600gt lasting for a while. I finally got rid of that and my 3200+ when titan quest ran like a 10 fps slideshow cause I didn't have a DEDICATED PHYS-X CARDDDD

You could by a non-pro and convert it to a Pro pretty easily with some BIOS shenanigans.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Elderbean posted:

The Switch owns and Stadia is just a worse grab at the same convenience (portable, play anywhere) in every way and several years later, but it STREAMS. They saw the same market but went about it in the DUMBEST way possible.

Mobile computing has come such a long way. The Switch can't run AAA games as well as a PS4/PC but it's still loving wild that it can run games like Witcher 3 and Doom on this little motherboard.

But I guess instead of having something that works and will likely keep improving as the tech matures you could have your gaming at the mercy of ISPs lmao.

The Switch does have some stuff that runs like crap that you wouldn’t expect. Link’s Awakening can’t keep a stable frame rate in handheld mode to save its life and the new Pokemon game has similar problems.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

quote:

Is anyone still playing D2?
Question
I really like D2 on Stadia cause i can play everywhere. On my PC or in the living room but there are like NO other players. I can't play Multiplayer or do all the other fun stuff in lategame cause i am always alone. So, is anyone still playing the game or should i switch over to PC?

BTW: Cross-Play would be awesome...

Does this idiot really think that crossplay with platforms that don’t have an extra 70ms of added lag is a good idea?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Shumagorath posted:

I've noticed SLI has been on the decline for years. Isn't that at the driver level? It was always a case of double the money and power / heat for less than double the performance, maybe even less than 50%, with everything after the Voodoo2.

Even when SLI was hot poo poo in 2005-6 it was always outclassed by the next line of GPU’s. I bought into it with a pair of 7800GTX’s that were less potent than the 8800 like a year later.

E:that computer also had an AMD FX57. It was crazy, it was the hottest poo poo when I got it but then everything took a different direction and it went obsolete way faster than I expected.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

gschmidl posted:

I don't understand how Google hasn't made a pub quiz or whatever that actually harnesses the power of :yaycloud:. Have a 1 vs 100000 or a HQ-like thing, make some news. Instead it's mopho f2p level garbage.

Bots. A big part of HQ crapping out was that a majority of the wins were by bots or people posting answers in a discord.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I still want to know what that guy meant by “better arranged pixels”

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I highly recommend that anyone who says VR isn’t there yet try it out on a demo set or a friend’s headset, it’s bonkers how far it’s come. I went from getting sick trying a demo unit at a Best Buy a few years ago to owning a PSVR and a Rift S. Ace Combat 7’s VR mode is insane, the intro to the second VR level is nuts. You’re taking off while AA guns are firing next to you and an on-fire B52 makes a crash landing and it’s mind boggling to experience in VR. And thats on the lovely headset.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Jack Trades posted:

"VR is utter trash because my computer can't handle VR games."

In the steam thread last winter there was a goon screaming about how people who own VR headsets should get the guillotine because you need a 2000 dollar graphics card to run it, and it was like "A:tone it down, what the gently caress, and B:you kind of added a zero there, buddy". A 1660 can run VR now, and well. Hell, I don't know what the launch PS4's GPU equivelent is, but it does PSVR fine.

Between cheaper PC hardware and the new consoles I really don't see what niche there is for Stadia. It's not something that's going to play well with hotel wi-fi, the fact you're buying games AND paying for a service is bonkers, and powerful stuff is becoming cheaper and cheaper, so the full price+sub service looks even worse. And it can't do VR because of the lag, so if that keeps expanding it's another thing it's just completely missing.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Cemetry Gator posted:

I'm confused by this whole effort thing. I buy game and download it. Where is the effort? I don't have to manually encode all of the bits by hand on my hard drive.

Steam is the lowest amount of effort I’ve ever had to put into playing games. It’s a real problem, I own way too many games on there since it’s too easy to go “eh, why not” and be playing whatever new game is out within half an hour.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Stux posted:

the two amazing things about last gen were sony managing to turn around the ps3 while simultaneously microsoft took a gigantic lead and completely ruined it

I stumbled across the XBox One launch day mock thread in my bookmarks yesterday and it was amazing how bad they hosed that up. The Kinect shenanigans, the launch games, it was all so perfectly terrible.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Ruffian Price posted:

They even had back compat to the 360 and the original Xbox already in the works but decided not to mention it at the conference because it wouldn't be ready at launch. loving lol, how do you not use your old discs will eventually work too as your biggest selling point

Seriously, that would have gotten me to buy an Xbox One over a PS4 but they completely poo poo the bed on it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Beamed posted:

PS2 would have been upended had people loved the Dreamcast as much as I did. :smith:

The Dreamcast ruled, between the weird games (EGG! Seaman!) and the arcade-perfect ports, which weren’t really a thing before that.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

American McGay posted:

The graphical power of the Dreamcast was on an entirely different level to its peers and predecessors in a way that I had never seen before nor have I seen since.

Even though the graphics processor was weaker than the PS2’s, Dreamcast games definitely looked way nicer to me. Some of that’s from the extra video ram, but the art design of the games went a really long way.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Stux posted:

just a ps4 thing, anything f2p or with its own monthly sub for access doesnt require plus.

also no one should be buying an xbox one in 2020 just buy a base ps4 or a switch

The PS4 is gonna get you more mileage than a Switch, I would think. The switch is... fine, but it feels more like a supplement than something I would want to have as a primary console. Especially since the first party games are gonna be 60 bucks forever. And the online is madness. And if you get the Lite, the joycon stock drift means you’ll have to send in the whole console for repairs at some point.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Barudak posted:

If youre gonna compare Stadia to something on a cost basis dont compare it with PSNow which blows it out of the water in value and does what people expected Stadia would do

10 bucks a month for an actual Netflix-style game library, where you can download the games for if your internet is poo poo? How could that ever compare to Stadia’s, uh, streaming Steamworld Dig 2?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Rotten Red Rod posted:

So based on this, using the current Steam players of 61,979, I extrapolated there are 167,511 players currently on Destiny 2. Stadia players aren't even registering 1% of that, so there are less than 1,675 Stadia players right now.

Ouch.

It’s pretty telling that only 6 percent of stadia players are doing PVP when it’s the second biggest activity on the other platforms. Between matchmaking and lag it must be a terrible experience.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Rotten Red Rod posted:

13.1% - Gambit is also a PvP mode.

But yeah, still tiny compared to the others.

Also this site seems to be very aggressive about rounding up, so Stadia might actually be below .5%, making it less than 837 players.

Gambit is more PvE than PvP, though it has some PvP elements for sure.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Gabby_Jay posted:

Sony let Microsoft play themselves hard by keeping quiet about how the ps4 would handle all this, as people were starting to assume this was how the industry was moving as a whole. Then all they had to do was walk out at E3 and say "we're not changing anything", forcing the xbox team into damage control.

edit: has it already been 7 years? drat.

The video they put out to explain how gamesharing worked on PS4 was brilliant. It was the SOA president (I think?) just handing a game to someone else. Just a dunk that was perfect in its simplicity.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
God, it’s like the peak days of the OUYA us-vs-them mentality.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I’m also getting strong “Notgoogle’s streaming video platform from Silicon Valley Season 2” vibes. I can only hope some google exec scared the poo poo out of a focus group by screaming and rage-punching the glass.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

How the hell does that guy think any streaming service could match/beat local?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
And Destiny 2 is free to play on every other console, so I don’t think it’ll get quite the influx of people they’re expecting. Don’t Stadia base players have to buy it or an expansion/some such to get access?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Khablam posted:

Now only ahead of Gamecube's 22.

Launch GameCube didn’t have many games, but it was a pretty stacked lineup. Stadia has 22 games... that I can play on basically anything else.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Nah the Gamecube had a pretty crappy list of launch titles, it didn't really get going until well into its life. But the idea that you'd actually compare yourself to that launch, almost 20 years later... Woof. That's the situation you want to avoid, not emulate.

Rogue Squadron 2, THPS3, and SSBM. There weren’t many options but the stuff that was out was killer. :colbert:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Oh yeah, SSBM was out pretty close to the release of the console. I thought it was much later. That's pretty good, then.

Maybe you’re thinking of Brawl? That wasn’t out until a little over a year after the Wii came out.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

univbee posted:

I'm pretty sure in terms of raw number of unique releases, the PS4 gets more titles within any 18-month span than the NES got in its entire lifetime.

Digital distribution has made releasing smaller games at lower price points so much more feasible. Sometimes it’s great, sometimes it’s an avalanche of shovel ware. The Switch has so many games but like 95 percent of them are the equivalent to the stuff on an Office Depot shareware disc.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

let's check the current list uh

Destiny 2

Farming Simulator 19

Grid

Gylt

Metro Exodus

Thumper

man with all those hot exclusive blockbusters I can hardly wait to get my Stadia on!

Sooooo....

Free to play on everything

A game that just got given away for free with no subscription on EGS

A dissapointment

No idea what a "gylt" is?

Pretty but meh

I know nothing about this game but I'm pretty sure EGS also gave that one away.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Do these people talking about PC games being hard to get ready to use think it’s still 1998, where you had to wait in FilePlanet queues to download a patch? If I want to play a game on my computer, I click install, it installs, and Steam or whatever launcher keeps it up to date without me having to think about it. When I want to play it, I... click play and I’m playing within a minute.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

I love how they keep saying consoles are short-term. My PS4 is a launch model, it’s 6+years old and still plays everything just fine. My new PC is beefier than the specs for the new XBox, so I’m expecting that to last for ages as well (seriously, look at how many people play games now with processors made in 2013). That’s not short-term by any stretch!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

also I buy used stuff and broken things to repair because that's a thing you can do when your hardware is a real thing that you own. I spent $100 on my PS4 because I had to replace the $3 HDMI port on it. My computers are cobbled together from bits and pieces over the years for peanuts. You can't live like a junkyard rat in a stadia world.

That’s also part of why I don’t get why they compare stadia price to the price of building your own computer. That’s not something you do if value per dollar spent is your goal, that’s what consoles are for. I like my computer because it’s mine. I’ve only had this one for two months but over time I’ll have all sorts of tweaks and hardware modifications that I researched and did myself. Maybe it’s just weird nostalgia but I like my electronics to have weird quirks.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Given that I would figure Google takes a bigger cut than other digital stores to fund actually running the hardware that plays the games, I can't see how it could be on heavy sale that soon after release...considering it's a game where Ubi has servers of their own to run for the multiplayer side of things.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

That just takes me to something to sign up for stadia.

You can’t see the store without an account, which is fuckin bizarre.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Nicholas posted:

That redircects me to https://stadia.google.com. Which offers a buy link for the $130 premiere edition, or to signup with an invite code (which I don't have). It's really crazy the store front is not available to non-subscribers.

I think they don’t want anyone who hasn’t already bought in to see their Nintendo Tax on Steroids setup.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Kikas posted:

https://www.pcgamer.com/google-discounts-stadia-premiere-edition-for-the-first-time/
I would like to point out that even Star Citizen gets at least neutral coverage on PC Gamer. Stadia hasn't won the hearts and minds of the media and failed to gain any traction as a mainstream platform with gamers.
At least there are those twenty redditors that love it.

When PC gamer tells you to just buy a regular console instead, you know you screwed up bad.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

DatonKallandor posted:

Doom 64 is 92 megs (and 30 of that is intro videos). Anyone wanna do the math how many (fractions of?) seconds you can need to play it on stadia to use more bandwidth than just downloading it would?
Remember, Stadia is good for the environment.

Google searching (lol) says 35 Mb/s, which equals 4.375 MB/s. So after 21 seconds you may as well just downloaded the thing.

After the Bethesda intro and all that I don't think you'd have actually hit the "new game" button yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Zeta Acosta posted:

If you have a fast internet then whats the loving point just download the game and play it from your pc

But that’s not THE FUTURE.