Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

lol e3 demos are not going to be available to the public (because they barely work.)

Yeah seriously, when consoles and downloadable demos first got going there was always people saying "oh surely companies would now put their E3 demos up for everyone to try" and it never happened, because that stuff is liable to crash if someone steps 2ft off the critical path.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Richard M Nixon posted:

I just pre ordered yesterday. I finally got the premise for Stadia. I was thinking that it was just another 'console' or a way to sell games to the apparently huge audience that doesn't own a desktop pc. It clicked with me that the power is in the potential.

If (and it's probably a big if) they get a developer to actually make a stadia exclusive game, it would be unbound by hardware rendering requirements. The size and complexity of games could be truly epic, assuming that latency doesn't gently caress over the whole thing.

I'm tentatively excited about it. Still pissed that fragmentation means I can buy red dead at least 3 times instead of just licensing the loving game.

They already have -an- exclusive game, it's an indie stealth game that could exist on literally any other system.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

American McGay posted:

2 rhythm games, 2 fighting games, and 3 tomb raider games. Hell of a launch lineup for a streaming service. Oh by the way they're all $60 too.

If Tomb Raider 2013 is $60 the Switch Tax will officially be dwarfed by the Stadia Tax.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

On the GRID thing, most PC sim racing games these days can do 40+ cars without breaking a sweat with good detail scaling and just not rendering cars outside player vision. Having 40 cars isn't anything particularly special, and any amount of cars over 30 usually results in a miserable turn 1 clusterfuck anyway.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

hostile apostle posted:

Stadia has 4k w/ 5.1

If you pay for the premium sub, and even then it's not guaranteed because video compression and your personal internet speed.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Amazed Apostle has time to post in this thread in between enjoying all the incredible experiences on their Google Stadia Founders Edition.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I basically use Google search now only for when I want to find something on Wikipedia but can't be bothered going to the Wikipedia site because the first result on Google for basically anything will be its Wikipedia article if it has one.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Thing is even if Google do get this together, they have maybe 3-4 months before Microsoft puts xCloud to public and if that's just part of Game Pass as they've hinted at then Stadia gets destroyed.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

pixaal posted:

So you need one of the above to host the game. Play some open games on twitch and you'll get it quick.

They also are much a pain in the rear end to bring to a friend's house. Hey man let me log into my PSN and download 6 10GB games and we can log in with our phones.

I'd rebuy jackbox on stadia, seriously put it out and take my money.

You can also just get them on Switch and take your dock round.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I actually can't believe they're doing the rotation thing with the Pro subscription games.
https://twitter.com/GoogleStadia/status/1211693870427197440

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I heard people bring up that same idea for No Man's Sky, that some planets could just launch games from your library. It was a bad idea then too.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Virtual Boy was definitely put on public sale in America and Japan, the European launch was cancelled after it was obvious how massive the failure was.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Even the Switch tax pales in comparison to the Stadia tax.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The big publishers pulling their poo poo off GeForce Now because they want to run their own streaming service isn't surprising, the indie devs pulling their poo poo is the really weird bit unless they're expecting to get paid by those other big publishers to put their poo poo on those other services.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Barudak posted:

I dont think that quite makes sense because, at least in gamepass's case, they dont stop you from selling the game yourself. The subscription would have to believe that the number of people who would view buying the game + streaming would vastly outweigh subscription package + streaming but like, even in that case it would just mean lowballing the offer to the dev.

Maybe Im missing something but I just dont see a business reason for a small indie dev to pull out of geforce without a written contract from a subscription service and I dont see why a subscription would demand it

The assumption I'm making is that companies putting together a streaming library would pay more for exclusive streaming rights, assuming again these companies would be looking to build a third party library for their services (similar to Origin Access) and not just keep it restricted to their own titles.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Oh dear, you're one of those guys who holds a minor position and thinks they have some real presence in the company.

You are the Arnold Rimmer of Google.

This is the best post in this thread all day.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

MikusR posted:

https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2020/04/20/geforce-now-dev-support/ more publishers leaving. "Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment, XBOX Game Studios, Codemasters and Klei Entertainment will be removed from the service on Friday, April 24."

I wonder if Google threw some money at Codemasters to get Stadia exclusivity on their stuff if F1 2020 is going to be on there and now they're pulling stuff off GeForce Now. A Codies dev used to hang out in the sim racing thread and outright said Codemasters only did VR support for Dirt Rally 2 because Facebook paid them to do it, so it seems unlikely that they'd do that if there wasn't a fat check involved.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

FIFA and Madden coming to Stadia!*

*in winter after they've already been out for at least 3 months on the consoles people actually own. Also a Star Wars game that will have been out for a full year by the time it arrives on Stadia for a full $60.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Out of curiosity I looked at the Stadia Twitter and man, they're not even tweeting these announcements as they're made. Also the Stadia twitter account has fewer followers than Xbox Game Pass which made me laugh.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I think specifically Apple doesn't like games being sold through the App Store that aren't downloaded from the App Store (therefore not giving Apple a cut), it's why you can't buy games through the Steam iOS app.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

A lot of games have those "timed trials" now as well, Ubisoft are really keen on them especially. There's loads of games with demos on the Switch too, like publishers seem to have realised that giving a trial of your game to an audience that maybe isn't as entrenched in videogame media (like the hypothetical Stadia target customer) might be a good way to draw people in, especially if the progress made in the demo carries over to the full game which has largely become standard now.

Anyway in other killer app news, Stadia might be getting text chat soon! That article also reminded me that Google said there were going to be 10 Stadia exclusives by July, we're up to 2 at the moment right?

njsykora fucked around with this message at 19:34 on May 3, 2020

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

Also AFAIK if you are playing on a phone you get matched with other phone players.

This is a part of the matchmaking options, or was last time I played, so if you think you're really hot poo poo with the phone controls you can choose to play against console players or even PC players.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

Ah ok I assumed it was automatic.

Either way it seems to work pretty good from the little bit I’ve played.

It'll default to matching control scheme, you can just change it if you're feeling spicy.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Google just killed Google Play Music. Stadia's time before the noose is a little bit closer.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I'm extremely glad HA has been sent back in here almost immediately after Google killed off another service.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

American McGay posted:

I bet games will still have little "shimmy through this narrow path so we can hide load times" sections because devs have been using them so long they've confused them with actual elements of gameplay that the user enjoys.

From the GPU thread where this was posted earlier.

repiv posted:

lol at all the hype about the ssds allowing seamless streaming and the first demo they show has an obvious character-slowly-shuffles-through-tight-gap hidden loading transition

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

GTA5's a seven year old game so it's a perfect fit for Stadia.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

biznatchio posted:

You're not really doing that, are you? Is that how you sell Stadia now? By just outright lying?

Why change a winning strategy?

Also I've started getting Stadia ads on Youtube now that are basically clips from sponsored content videos like you see all the time for lovely mobile games.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

American McGay posted:

It's cool that Stadia has basically completely wasted their launch "window" and their hardware is going to be out of date in about 6 months and some schlub is going to have to go to his boss with an expense report of 250 million dollars to upgrade the servers and show him a sheet that lists 400 thousand current subscribers.

Bit optimistic subscriber count there. Though I'd assume Google would do the same thing WWE did with the WWE Network for a while and heavily promote a free trial before their financial reports so they could report all the people on free trials as subscribers. Even then though...

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

hostile apostle posted:

So seems to me that there is an appetite for this feature done well (lol) and easier for streamers.
There is an appetite for new ways to play games people have played to death and memorised inside out but still want to play in new ways. This is where randomisers and crowd control stuff come from. Not for someone's first playthrough of a sequel to a cult game series that is long past its peak to be ruined by a bunch of Twitch chat assholes.

Though Super Metroid is probably one of the few games Stadia might actually run at 4k60.

Stux posted:

you can have 1000 players in a game running on a ps4 its not a real issue
I thought MAG proved 10 years ago that just because you can have a huge single match player count it doesn't necessarily make the game fun.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 21:32 on May 20, 2020

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Sure, but nobody does game streaming on Youtube, they just upload clips from their Twitch streams and try and pull people over there because it's a better monetization deal.

Some people will mirror their streams there if they have the bandwidth, but only pay attention to the Twitch chat so they basically have the Youtube stream only for discoverability and to direct people to Twitch. Though Youtube's front page recommended videos scroll no longer has a section specifically for live channels, so that discoverability isn't as great as it maybe used to be. The more common thing I see for about the last year is for people to upload a quick 15-30 second video to their Youtube channel when they're streaming on Twitch that gets deleted when they're done.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

...! posted:

Counting Destiny 2 players is an excellent metric since that's the big title that Google hypes as being free with Pro. Therefore nearly everyone who signs up will use D2 to check the service out.
It's also free to play generally, so anyone who even considers the service can try it out. It's the one game every single person signed up to Stadia can play.

hostile apostle posted:

People are not sure what Stadia is
This is a damning indictment of the effectiveness of Google's ad tech, because I get constant pre-roll ads for Stadia watching Youtube videos on my phone. If that kind of blanket advertising on one of Google's own sites isn't telling people what Stadia is then either Youtube advertising doesn't work or whatever agency Google gets to do their advertising has produced a bunch of terrible, ineffective ads that aren't doing their job.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Rudager posted:

They also did this 5 years after Microsoft and Sony baked streaming poo poo into their new consoles at the operating system level, and Google figured it'd be OK to release Stadia without anything at all.
Don't forget they had this grand suite of Youtube integration planned out before launch but it launched without any of the features they showed off at the initial announcement and that they're still not in there after this long says either there's some massive complication with implementing them or some internal politics is being played by the Youtube team not wanting to be associated with the sinking ship. Or they never planned to have them and just wanted something flashy to make the announcement look good given we know the only thing people care about at Google is the product launch.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

hostile apostle posted:

You really should have a hard look at your product when you're listing "sign up on a website" as an added feature.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

It's pretty solidly in Twitch's top 10 these days and Respawn are apparently getting to form a second studio to focus on it so it's clearly doing well enough for EA. I think it and COD Warzone will always have the edge over PUBG just by virtue of them being free to play.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

This is registered accounts, so it likely counts everyone who's downloaded the mobile version, played it once and deleted it as well as actual active players because I'd be fairly safe saying PUBG does not have 600m active players.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Klyith posted:

They need people to sign up for Pro. Their business model does not work in the slightest if every stadia user is on the free tier and buys one game like RDR2 or Division 2 then spends the next 100 hours playing through it.

They probably should've thought of that before launching a videogame store.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Ineffiable posted:

It's funny seeing an advertisement for games that virtually none of us will care about or have already played it on other platforms.

Keep up the good work!

Jotun and Sundered are both pretty good games. They were also both free on the Epic Store within the last few months so we're firmly establishing Stadia as the place games at the end of their lifecycle go to scrape in their last few bucks.

Elder Scrolls Online isn't even worth making jokes about at this point, but it isn't a free to play game and comes with the expansion people actually want (Morrowind) and has PC crossplay and cross save, so minor points there. It is still however, The Elder Scrolls Online.

Also the resolution thing is hilarious. People with a 4k display can now stream up to 1440p!

njsykora fucked around with this message at 22:01 on May 26, 2020

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

univbee posted:

Virtual Boy died with a library of only 20 games, although one of these (Jack Bros) was the first MegaTen title to be released in the West.

The Virtual Boy also had exclusive games that were worth playing, so it has Stadia beaten on that front.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Flayer posted:

I can only imagine the die-hards are going to get more and more insane the closer Stadia gets to death. It is the way of things.

Well they're at the embarassing "thou shalt die by my blade" threats sent to games media stage already.
https://twitter.com/AndyPlaytonic/status/1366325293737205760