Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

RagnarokZ posted:

That Factoria thread died real quick too.

It's Ouya 2.00 all over again.

It's kind of like a reverse Ouya, because while Ouya tried to solve the non-existent problem of "nobody plays games on their televisions sitting on their couch anymore" while a plethora of TV-connected consoles existed, Stadia attempts to solve the polar-opposite non-existent problem of "video game consoles keep people tethered a big screen in one area of their house" while mobile gaming, console streaming, Steam streaming, and the Nintendo Switch exist.

Granted it'll end up the same way though. Given the almost identical level of incompetence and failure to read the room, I'm almost surprised that we haven't seen Julie Uhrman rear her head on this one. Fingers crossed for a hilariously tone-deaf gross-out Stadia ad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

univbee posted:

Yeah, you could definitely buy it, like it was in store catalogs and on store shelves, and my one main go of it was one of my brother's rich friends who got one at launch, well before they killed it. This was in Canada.

I remember a few years after the Virtual Boy came out, this one game shop at the mall had a massive pile of them at some absurdly bargain basement prices, something like $10 or $20 a pop. Not picking up one of them is one of my greatest regrets.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Combat Pretzel posted:

It's makes me wonder what is so great about Google nowadays, in regards to being a leader in the tech space. A decade ago, or longer, it seemed to be the place to be as an aspiring developer, managing to get employed being a sign of skill. Now we have to deal with that sort of stupid poo poo all over their products.

How long has it been since Android TV first became a thing? Because the amazing way they bungled the gently caress out of that despite being ahead of apple by several years was the first time I noticed cracks in the facade.
I'm still kind of annoyed at how massively they hosed up there when they could have been the Switch way before the Switch was a thing. (Or hell, at the very least, a competent version of the ouya.)

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

limaCAT posted:

In second place people with the idea of playing real games will just buy a platform with an established base of tolerable games already, hell even if Sony abandoned the PlayStation Vita to just focus on a "make or break" attempt on staying alive with the Ps4, indie developers sold sold tons of games on it. If you want to play video games you will just use the platform that allows you to play them with the best controllers and which will allow you to matchmakers with friends or enemies who already have that platform. Pc, Ps4, Xbox or the Switch. The first joypad from Google was stadia but it does not double as a joypad for LOCAL Chrome or Android games, I understand why but that is really a waste. And mind you there have been tons of Android based gaming platforms announced or delivered (the one from bluestack, the one from madcatz, the ouya, the one from Nvidia that was paired with the shield) or even services (hatch from Rovio, which is quite good but pointless unless you are all in for mobile games).

Android's first controller was for the Nexus Player, I had one because they sent me one when I signed up to get one of the dev models about a year or so before the Nexus Player came out. (Also, Xbox 360 / Xbone / pretty much any generic Bluetooth controller worked with Androids even before that.)

It really seemed like they were poised to use that as their media / gaming platform to bridge the gap between mobile and console space as they also made a layout standard for TVs to go along with it. And it was really goddamn cool for the couple of games that actually implemented it, because since it was a shared ecosystem, you only had to buy a game once and could play it on your TV box with your controller, save, then start your game up on your phone / tablet and pick up where you left off with touch controls. (The Android ports of Adventures of Mana and the GTA games were a good example of this, there were some others that I can't think of at the moment). Keep in mind that this was a full three years before the Switch was released, nobody even knew it as the NX at that point.

As for the assertion that people would buy consoles with an established library instead, you're kinda ignoring the fact that Android did have an established library and that there are a significant number of people who play mobile games. Maybe most of those are just idle timewasters, but there was enough of a market for Square to make (and continue to make) a significant number of ports and a few originals as well at a non-free to play price point. Sure it wouldn't have AAA games that would stack up next to the PS4 or Xbone, but aside from Nintendo's first party juggernauts (which certainly give them a leg up but I don't feel is necessarily a requirement), the switch doesn't attempt to, and has the same indie appeal as mobile platforms, and runs on mobile hardware so it's not like being successful there would be a technological hurdle.

I've written way more words about this than I wanted to, but basically I'm not saying that it would have been a guaranteed success, but it was certainly the one case where all the pieces were there to make it one, had they not deliberately refused to give Nexus Player any advertisement whatsoever and thrown it in the trash less than a year after release. It's just really disappointing more than anything else.

raditts fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jan 11, 2020

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Suspicious Dish posted:

they have relaunched Android TV about three times so far, once branded as Google TV (unrelated to the earlier Android-based product called 'Google TV', now dead), and it's still around in zombie form in the form of lots of sketchy cheap set top boxes you can find on Alibaba

Google has attempted to make games platforms quite a few times, and Android gaming succeeds mostly in spite of them trying. anybody else remember the Google+ Games? or Google Play Games? or Chrome Web Store Games, all of them now dead?

remember when you were going to Embrace your inner gaming hero with Gamer ID? (now dead afaict)

i think any serious game developer would have been fine with Google investing the money they poured into Stadia, into making their other five gaming platforms not suck instead.

This guy. This guy fuckin gets it.
(Google TV was hot trash though, that thing had no future because it wasn't even compatible with regular Android for the most part)

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Lodin posted:

We live in an age where even Nintendo doesn't give a poo poo anymore. You can buy Lust for Darkness on the Switch and that has more naked people loving than you can shake a stick at. There's also a ton of demonic rape if that's your jam.
Maybe don't watch this trailer at work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKVmlp07ymE

To be fair, it's only Nintendo of America who ever actually cared about that kind of thing. Explicit content goes back as far as the Famicom.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Ringo Star Get posted:

So if you play games on Stadia, can you make any graphical changes? Or is it pointless? And I take it you cant use any mods or import save files?

I assume that if it runs on a third party framework like uPlay, then your save files are transferable if that framework has cloud saves. I'm basing this entirely off the fact that I was able to continue off the save I made on Asscreed Odyssey in their "Project Stream" beta when they sent me a free uPlay key for it, which is probably the best thing most people could hope to get from anything related to Stadia.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Flayer posted:

So much to unpack in that (clearly astroturfing) post. My favourite part is claiming to have seen countless people enjoying Stadia on cafe wifi.

No one has ever seen another stadia user!

My favorite is claiming to have seen countless people playing on their home wifi. Do these people know he is watching them?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

uvar posted:

Stadia's only been out for two months and Cyberpunk is still three months away, that seems like a very long time.

Oh, except it might be even longer

https://twitter.com/CyberpunkGame/status/1215218597297098752

I can't stop laughing about "the same year"

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Tempura Wizard posted:

Real talk, how many of us here would actually be interested in Stadia if it had an honest to god Netflix-style licensing / payment plan? (Like everyone assumed it would have when it was announced :laffo:).
I know I'd bite. It'd be like the second coming of Gametap, which was a severely underrated service. Instead we have paying to paying to play PC games that known Stable Product Maintainer Google technically can pull at any time.

I for one am I glad hostile is enjoying themselves and looking forward to games. I've backed a few doomed formats in my time. Shine on you crazy diamond. :)

I would have at least tried it. That's what I thought it was going to be initially, and in the beta, AC:O ran pretty decently on my browser and if buying a game meant you could transfer your saves and get an actual download code like they did at the end of the beta, it might actually be appealing. But paying a monthly fee AND you have to buy games at full price AND you have no ownership over anything you pay for AND you have to always be online? lol, no.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Blotto_Otter posted:

a Charles Edward Cheese location

Charles Entertainment* Cheese

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Zaodai posted:

If it were to save you charges, it would let you pick the interval of how long it stays idle or turn off the "feature". Just like my PS4 does with the various power save settings. :thunk:

Or, they could just keep the game state active on their end and reconnect it when you come back, but I guess that's why I don't work for Google.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

If their track record with Daydream and Android TV are anything to go by, they've already given up on it, they'll just let it shamble on a little longer before they quietly remove it from their online store and scrub all evidence of its existence, and then a little longer past that before they officially announce its impending death.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Zakutambah posted:

Anyone that has had to support Google-anything in any sort of professional capacity.

No, I'm not still bitter about the fuckin' insane setup of Google Apps for Business/G-Suite/Whatever-the-gently caress it's called now.

I haven't had to set it up but my job uses G-Suite and it's not... terrible? Granted, we moved to this from Office365, so literally anything probably looks good next to that poo poo.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Weedle posted:

Who boots their computer up though. This isnt the 90s

I do, but it goes from power on to desktop in like 10-15 seconds because, like you said, this isn't the '90s.

Stadia arguments remind me of old console vs. PC arguments where they'd say that consoles are better because you can use a gamepad instead of a "clunky keyboard", even well into the 2000s where USB controllers already existed.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Who the gently caress is spending $500 a year to keep their PC "up to gaming standards"

like are they literally throwing last year's PC in the trash every year

hostile apostle posted:

Literally everything about this post is wrong.

I gotta say it's so nice to see someone standing in the shoes once filled by such legends as XboxPants, grand acolyte of the Ouya and invoker of such phrases as "half as successful as the original Playstation."

raditts fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jan 31, 2020

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I can't believe they got Dizzy to be their spokesperson but feature none of his games on Stadia

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

sigher posted:

Do you honestly think that the amount of games offered by Stadia for the subscription is even close to what something like GamePass or PS+ gives you?

if the "free" list on this page is accurate, loving lmao that he would dare compare what can generously be referred to as "humble bundle castoffs" to Gamepass

HA have you any shame, like even a smidgen
this is an honest question because even Xboxpants, Ouya acolyte of times past, would likely look down on you and laugh right about now

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

hostile apostle posted:

If it was competing completely on content as of today, yes Stadia Pro doesn't offer quite as strong a catalog as Game Pass - but for Game Pass you have to have an Xbox or a Gaming PC, neither of which are required for Stadia. There are still objectively really good titles worth playing in Pro today. Stadia Pro catalog will also continue to grow over time. And unlike Game Pass you don't lose access to the games you've claimed when they roll out of Pro.

Which of the games on the free list in that article would I need a PC less than ten years old to play? Aside from Destiny 2 I guess, which is already free to play on other platforms, so I could play that for zero dollars if I remotely gave a poo poo about Destiny 2.

More importantly, why would I want to spend the money for this now for what even you admit is a weak (which, again, is being generous) catalog, with nothing to go on beyond the Star Citizen-esque promises of "it'll get better later on down the line, then you'll see!" What reason does anyone have to not wait to see if it actually does get better, as opposed to Google doing what Google does.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

hostile apostle posted:

The question I was responding to was about Game Pass, and if its about comparing XBL Gold - Stadia certainly offers all those things I listed and a bigger catalog to claim from each month. The catalog will continue to grow too.

Of the games right now - GRID, PUBG. Destiny 2 with Stadia also includes all the DLC and season pass.

Metro Exodus was a past Pro title for a few months, as was Rise of the Tomb Raider (+ Tomb Raider 2013). Next month includes Zombie Army 4, which is a 2020 title.

If you're trying to sell people on future growth of a gaming platform's library, you probably shouldn't try to sell them on the fact that half of the library was pulled in less than six months from launch.

So to ask again - why would a person with a PC built within the last ten years want to pay for Stadia and its whopping 12-game pro library right now, since what a monthly subscription service might have at some unknown point in the future means gently caress-all? The promise of 3, possibly 4 games I might not be able to play with my existing not-at-all-made-for-gaming hardware doesn't sound like a great value proposition to me. Does it really sound like one to you?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Flared Basic Bitch posted:

Imagine having a brain so riddled with dementia that you think streamers are excited to let randos gently caress with their format.

limaCAT posted:

Streamers don't even want developers to change things and make them easier for randos because that would gently caress with their format.

I mean... Crowd Control is a thing that exists and is pretty popular, but the idea that devs that have their games on Stadia are going to implement anything like that in their games is pretty laughable.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Virtual Boy, Lynx, Jaguar, 3DO, Ouya, Phillips CDI

the 3DO actually had a pretty decent library (321 titles according to Wikipedia, which is about 300 more than I would have guessed, and I had one). The 3DO versions of Road Rash, Samurai Shodown and Super SF2 Turbo were legit good, and it had a lot of ports of PC games from around the same time since both platforms were going hard on MULTIMEDIA CD ROM. It wasn't really that bad of a console for its time, it's just that there were only like 10 people that actually bought a 3DO. Also, it was obscenely overpriced.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

hostile apostle posted:

Folks IIT made their decision about Stadia before trying the product, or evaluating it objectively.

There's on top of ESO in June, there another 5 games coming to Pro. Compare what Pro offers as compared to what Humble Choice offers for $20/month, and then consider you don't even need the gaming PC to play any of these games.

lmao imagine still trying to punch above your own weight like this after embarrassing yourself repeatedly for months

Mumbling posted:

A PC has access to every pc gaming deal and freebie so Im not sure why youre singling out Humble choice which gives you more games anyway.

They also just sent me an email offering me $9/month for six months on Humble Choice Premium (which I can cancel prematurely) and I imagine others have gotten the same offer.

not only that, but if you grandfathered over from Humble Monthly you get to choose 10 games for $12 / month as long as you keep your subscription active

raditts fucked around with this message at 19:01 on May 28, 2020

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Ineffiable posted:

This product can only be activated in the following regions: Europe (inc UK), Middle East, Africa

This product cannot be activated in United States.

which, ironically, includes a number of places where stadia isn't available

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Barudak posted:

Whoever showed the games from humble monthly they selected, thank you for not selecting Bard's Tale IV.

It's that bad, huh?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Endorph posted:

i like this part

gaming is the most lucrative entertainment industry currently going

it reminds me of the Ouya lady babbling constantly about "bringing gaming back to the TV"

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Endorph posted:

one of the ouya's only big exclusives that got any mainstream press was That Dragon, Cancer, a game by two people who usually made educational software. it was an autobiographical thing about their kid passing away from cancer, their experiences with it, etc. after it came out it got a bit of positive buzz from fairly big gaming sites. ouya decided to capitalize this by making a collage of the positive reviews and tweeting it as "THAT DRAGON, CANCER. GET SOME!!!" on like, the same day they made that awful ad with the dude vomiting up his spine because he paid 60 bucks for call of duty and the campaign was only 2 hours.

it was incredibly tonedeaf.

This story wouldn't be complete without sharing the aforementioned awful ad.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0ha6Mb5_YQ&hd=1

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

We Got Us A Bread posted:

The inside story of Stadia is the same thing Google does with everything they put out: Release a barely viable app/whatever. Expect people to flock to it because reasons. When people don't, either because it's a minimum viable product or no one knows it exists, put the bare minimum of effort into it, and then dump it.

It's still endlessly annoying to me how, with Android TV, Google had a multi-year headstart on doing what Nintendo did with the Switch before the Switch was even a concept, and they just completely pissed it away by making a decent (if flawed) piece of hardware with the Nexus Player and then just throwing it in the trash less than a year later and leaving it to languish in TV integrations and the Nvidia Shield.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

TheScott2K posted:

aren't you the guy I sold my Nexus Player to?

You might be, lol. It's still pretty useful as Basically A Chromecast

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

"offended and amused"?

It's like that guy was all set to fart out the old tired "r U tRiGgErEd??" response but lost his train of thought halfway through the sentence

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Khablam posted:

There's a reason people want to use/want to be "the netflix of x" and not the "Google music of x".

Google Music was good though? It's like one of the few things Google ever did right, being able to upload your own music and stream it for free from any device made it one of the best services alone, which of course is why it had to die. I'd hardly consider it having been killed by spotify when, considering that they replaced it with that giant piece of poo poo Youtube Music, it was more a suicide than anything.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

stratdax posted:

What am I gonna do when we get the desire to watch a particular movie or show, say "hang on honey, I know we want to watch this movie we could pay all of three dollars for and just immediately start watching it on our tv and also support the creators, OR we could wait an hour while I download it, wait for handbrake to convert the file, then we could stream it off my computer to our tv and deal with the glitches from that. Whaddya say?"

it's very clear from this alone that your piracy days are long behind you, lmao

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

stratdax posted:

Well, yes. I realized awhile back that I should probably pay for content that I consume. People really don't like hearing that though.

I mean, I can't imagine why anyone would care if you prefer to pay for things rather than pirating them, it was just funny to me how your post had that whole "I don't pay games on pc because I'd rather use a controller and play on my tv than be forced to sit at a desk in front of a CRT monitor and use my keyboard!" vibe to it.

I also started paying for things when I reached the point in my life where I actually had money to buy them and when the first few streaming services came about, but boy has the explosion of streaming services led to a huge drop in quality and convenience, so I can hardly blame anyone who wants to go back to raising the black flag.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Is that one 64 player Pac-Man game out/coming out on anything besides stadia? It seems like a pretty neat concept but not enough to pay for stadia over, not to mention it probably doesn't have enough of a player base for a full 64 player game.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Gutcruncher posted:

Edit: imagining Criterion Collection adopting this Stadia attitude and only releasing movies from the past 3 years and immediately dropping them once theyre deemed ew old

The Disney Vault strategy?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

it seems that many people are, in fact, enjoying their consoles and their more technologically advanced games

what a bunch of suckers, I guess

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Sad part is back in like 2016 or 2017, something like that, there was some service I used occasionally that was basically a clown-based full-fledged gaming PC that you could install Steam etc. onto. It wasn't early GFN either, I forget the name of it but it ran about as decently as a clown-based PC usually does. And I'd used PS Now around that time as well and more often than not it ran better than the PC-based clown gaming solutions I'd used. Stadians are absolutely deluding themselves if they think their preferred clown gaming platform is in any way revolutionary or bringing anything new to the table.

they're trying to compensate for sunk cost of time/money/emotional investment, but where they're sunk is that one underwater cave that people almost never return from that has a big sign at the entrance with a picture of the grim reaper standing over a pile of diver corpses

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Honestly, the more I think about it, the more I come to the conclusion that the best case for game streaming is to complement physical hardware that plays some games locally.

Any service or platform needs a big catalogue of content to succeed, and while for instance all TV shows and movies are the same -- they're all just video streams of digital video files that are either large or very large -- games aren't. I can see the case for streaming a game like Cyberpunk 2077, because most people simply don't have computers or consoles capable of running it at a satisfactory level.

But why the gently caress would you stream some 20 meg indie game that would literally run on a wrist watch? Why would you spend tens and tens of gigs streaming a compressed video stream of a game anyone can run on pretty much any system? Yet of course a streaming platform will need those games as well to pad out the catalogue.

And so, the solution: a system that can play many games locally on its own hardware -- like the Xbox One Series S or a modestly powered SoC PC -- but can stream the more demanding games or switch to streaming when the player desires a resolution or graphical feature the system doesn't handle (like 4K or Ray Tracing).

And of course the big draw there is that you bolt the streaming platform on to an existing infrastructure. Instead of having a separate cloud where you have to buy all your games ala carte, you buy your games on Steam, the Epic Store or Xbox Live, play some of them locally and stream the rest. You don't need a separate buy in on some whole new platform, you just get a new feature and a new way to play on the system you're already used to.

If Google was smart, they would have merged their AndroidTV attempt at a TV-based gaming ecosystem into Stadia and done exactly this. They have the basic infrastructure already there, an existing platform, a storefront, support for mobile and tv based formats in the same app, controllers have worked natively on the drat thing for like a decade, and much like Stadia, it could have been a thing if Google actually gave a poo poo about it and put five minutes of thought into how to make it work well... but, well, they don't. It's almost impressive because they had to have made significant effort to gently caress things up as badly as they did.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Khablam posted:

Today, in the cult

quote:

now I'm enjoying ... Monopoly

out of all the lies from Stadians, this has to be the most blatant and egregious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Captain Hygiene posted:

Praise the clown!

but doctor, I am Stadiacci