Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I suppose it would be nice to have a more appropriate android device at my TV for playing emulators/ROMs. But streaming games that aren't Civ? Yikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

big nipples big life posted:

The input lag on steam link already sucks and that's in my house, on a wired network. I can only imagine trying to play DOOM Eternal with 10x as much lag, minimum. lol

Same, my Steamlink is always right on the edge of 'fine dont worry about it' and 'this is horrid' depending on a variety of factors. I have high hopes for the ability to play a game that is running in California from my snapdragon phone in Texas over Wi-fi :thunk:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Lol, well that was fast. When the demos at the convention show it being awful, this doesn't bode well.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

It's just funny because it's using their own devices so they have an assuredly stable high-speed connection with every steps taken to make sure it's optimal and it's still probably worse than a Steamlink whose input delay most people can't handle.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

DebonaireD posted:

This looks really amazing but goons will always insist on being loudmouthed pessimists about everything. There's so many interesting things you could do with streamed games that no one's even thought about yet, especially multiplayer games.
If I understood that digital foundry video, he was talking about how having the same server running the multiplayer session and streaming to each player would open the door to more complicated physics and interactivity in multiplayer, right? Hell, just being completely unbound by the hardware specs would be a very cool thing for any developers trying to make more sim-heavy games.

There's a difference between the concept, and the actual implementation of it. This is not a new concept, it's already been done. But all other implementations of this are awful because of the same reason this is awful: input delay, frame drops, unstable/insufficient network connections.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Yes and the cause of these problems are not things Google nor the end user are in a good position to fix, mainly that the last mile between Google's big GPU box and your PC is out of their hands.

Right, so this project is poo poo and is DoA.

e: Also, important thing everyone needs to note is that this technology isn't new. The established games you can get away with severe input delay are turn-based games, strategy games, and single-player games that have a lot of leniency as far as reactivity goes.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

American McGay posted:

Here's the thing: game companies aren't going to bother implementing the graphical improvements that won't just get chewed up by the streaming encoding (physics stuff, other weirdly intensive compute stuff that I can't think of because I'm not a game dev) because there's no reason for them to. I doubt anything that comes out on this will be anything other than a slightly optimized PC port. Without a solid user base there's no reason for them to develop games for the feature set of server hardware, and without a decent play experience (less than 100ms of lag) there won't be a user base.

That's true. Hell, even with a massive userbase streaming tends to poo poo all over graphical fidelity. Like how streams that claim to be 720p/1080p/4k are rarely actually that resolution because of whatever reason.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Bardeh posted:

They're bluetooth aren't they?

It is and it isn't. It's needlessly complicated of course.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Chomp8645 posted:

The future of gaming is remotely-rendered, TAB target MMO's with three second global cooldowns.

I was in a group with a guy in FFXIV (2.5s global cooldown, before stat adjustments) and he was failing 100% of mechanics and did about 20% of the damage of the other damage dealer. I truly believe no internet-based, multiplayer game can be streamed unless it's a game built from the ground up to accomodate the service. And even then, it'll be hosed because of last-mile issues.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Why would you preorder something that is almost certainly DOA?

Why would you preorder anything?

Why are you okay with maybe losing your money for it?

Aaahhhhhhh

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

In Palo Alto some dude I met at a bar said that working for google was the worst because you're only rewarded for a project being a success (risky) or if you get moved to another project by demonstrating how good you are. You have to be good enough that you get moved away to something else hopefully in its earliest stages, and bail the minute it shows promise to work for a different project or a different company.

In other words, Stadia was hosed the minute anyone thought it was cool.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

To show that they, too, are a major console they'll also rearrange the buttons incoherently and this time the left button is A, the bottom button is B the right button is X and the top button is Y.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

hostile apostle posted:

1st hand demo experience from Gamescom - playing Doom Eternal in 4K with footage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30Iw3nMVCJo

The youtube thumbnails are always so loving weird. They're always surprised with mouth open or doin' a big think like that.

I don't get it, does it cause more clicks?

Anyways there's really nothing here that's new. The question still remains: can I play a game at home over this service without the presumptively insurmountable latency? If that question isn't answered in the affirmative, it's a hard pass for me! The fact that it's 4K resolution in high FPS doesn't mean much.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

You're failing to account for the negative latency, where they dilate time around your device using the Power Of The Cloud.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

No joke Orcs Must Die 1 was a really, really good game. I don't know why but OMD2 was not. I imagine OMD3 will also be worse.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Would you bet the purchase price of a product that you probably won't get to use at launch that also won't be available after a year?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Will we be calling this a dumpster fire now or wait for a major gently caress up to make the news?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

heeheex2 posted:

It's called input prediction, dumbass.

This rules lol

Stadia's so broken it also breaks people's brains before it even comes out.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

NOW do we call it a dumpster fire or are we still waiting?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

tater_salad posted:

Back to hotmail, DuckDuckGo and Apple for me.

Outlook is easier to use for me, DuckDuckGo is less "we think we know what you're trying to search for" and so it produces results better, and Apple isn't truly privacy-conscious but it is infinitely more privacy-conscious than Google.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Actually, this has been a success and not a failure. People are actually wrong when they say they don't like it and that it is bad. Google isn't failing, they're actually succeeding and are years ahead of their competition. It's also not expensive, it's actually very reasonably priced and is in fact better priced than any alternative, even free services like GeForce Now.

I swear, google fans are loving crazy. Other than search and maps, they always fail.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

This dumpster fire is keeping all of us warm this Christmas. The secret to enjoying google products is to never use them. It makes the pending blog post about shutting it down that much sweeter, versus when you have them and pretend everything is good and cool up until the moment it’s turned off forever in a cartoon *poof* of executive bonuses.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Steamlink works great in the situations that Stadia would work great, so.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Never forget about Stadia. In many years when the last ember from this dumpster fire flickers off, remember that Google failed to have a storefront ready at launch in 2019 and when it did finally come out it was broken.

Remember this for the next time Google tries to assure everyone that they are really good at computers.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

A kid rolls his eyes at his mom while smart, knowing dad laughs at a $200 console, opting instead to buy a $130 dongle and pay a monthly fee to use it.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Tempura Wizard posted:

I'm back in San Diego for the holidays and my friends from high school who I'm hanging out with decide they want to go to Coronado for the day. Okay, whatever. We get there and I've got all my Stadia stuff in my backpack which I wanted to show off to my friends who were nothing but doubtful. I notice the nearby hotel's wifi signal is okay so I decide to pull out my gear and give off a live demo, right then and there. I'm getting headshots left and right and all of my friends were speechless. Soon, people were walking up from down the beach shouting, "Hey, are you the guy with the cool gaming rig at the beach"? Some girls came up and watched for a while and one of them gave me their number. My former bully happens to show up and there are tears streaming down his cheeks and he apologizes for tormenting me and shakes my hand. He asks for a buddy pass and I get to have the life affirming moment of turning him down. Stadia is the future.

Love it. It was a real Stadia post until the 'asks for a buddy pass' part because loving nobody asks for those.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

...! posted:

Fed up of Stadia haters! (self.Stadia)
submitted 3 hours ago * by mikebailey_uk

"There isn't good game selection" - Fair.....but how many games can you play at once, they're releasing more and I can wait.

Google Stadia: "There isn't good game selection"? How many games can you play at once?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

"Actually, Stadia works just as good if not better than a console or PC at a fraction of the price and you can play it anywhere and--" the erstwhile Stadia user shouts while clambering over furniture, chasing someone who said they like their Playstation.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Ah yes but the game launched did it not? Therefore Stadia is the future of gaming.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

If you want quality and reliability definitely go with Google products.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Stux posted:

all the old gamers never cared about performance and werent running quake at 300 fps for better input lag

Because nobody knew what the good life looked like.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Pryor on Fire posted:

I don't know anything about Google nowadays, but a few years ago I had a good friend who worked there and he told me that absolutely nobody was working on Google Finance, simply because zero engineers at the company were interested in the product and they wanted to work on newer, hotter things.

I have a feeling we're entering that gear with Stadia already.

This is Google culture. I don't know how many times it's been stated/reiterated here but the absolute worst thing you could do for your career at Google is to stay attached to a product after launch (other than mail/search or the 3% of products that go on to be useful/successful). It is never in their best interests to make a product work, it's all about the hype/launch.

As a google engineer, it is imperative that you get attached to a product way, way before launch. From that moment, do everything in your power to be put onto a new launch product as close to BEFORE launch of your original project as possible. Executives are the same, though they get the golden parachute to escape the explosion/wildfire after, so it's a tossup on what they should do.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Why didn’t we give stadia a chance? Why didn’t we just have a little bit of hope for the future of gaming?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

You idiots don't realize that the real Stadia was inside of us all along. That's why it doesn't need games.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Stadia delusions are just the best. They’re as absurd as they are sweet/naive.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I feel like every single day, the Stadia people have to try to forget the dumpster fire this has been since before launch and ask “But how is it today?” Only to be eternally disappointed by Google, their own brain, and the console-thing they gleefully paid for. Every day.

Like Sisyphus rolling a Chromecast up hill every day but at the top of the hill it ignites due to the plastic shell trying to stream Ghost Recon. Sisyphus gets literally and figuratively burned while Google overnights him a brand new Chromecast.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Stadia is the true teraflop.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Well they make their money on the subscription. That has a nearly $0 marginal cost so the price of a subscription is almost 100% profit.

The only reason they’d let you finance their console (sold probably at a loss or nearly break-even) is if they know they’ll make money off you.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I mean if we’re talking about optimizing blowing your cash on stupid Xbox Live poo poo, you could always buy 2 years of Xbox Live Gold and upgrade it to Xbox Ultimate to save like $200.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

What was so specific to the Stadia platform that they needed to pay people millions of dollars to port it?

And Why?