Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Mirificus posted:

quote:

Honestly I don't understand why Google is not taking actions against them. They can find excuses to start banning them if they wanted to. Basically they can ban them with no excuse at all lol. I wouldn't agree with that, but Google is a corporation and they don't owe YouTube access to anybody. Like our bosses can fire us anytime for no valid reason lol.

What are the odds this person who wishes for honest stadia content to be banned from google platforms was also wringing their hands over the lack of ethics in games journalism :ohdear: in the past?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

lmao, these loving icons, oh my god

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

My body disintegrated from the shock of how quick account creation was. Observing the baby-bottom-like smoothness of the graphics triggered instantaneous ego death. The remaining embers of my consciousness were snuffed out by the nearly unnoticeable latency steering my character. All tendrils binding me to the plane of material existence were severed as I ended my browser gaming session and then resumed minutes later on my Chromecast Ultra (from the comfort of my couch in front of my 4K Dolby Vision™ screen). The entirety of my being was obliterated as I counted over 100 titles available for purchase on the stadia store. In sum, my stadia experience was final, irreversible death.

Bad Purchase fucked around with this message at 16:34 on May 12, 2021

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Captain Hygiene posted:

"Console gamers just don't understand the convenience of cloud gaming," I reassure myself as I travel around the country planting Stadia caches anywhere I might conceivably visit, before reaching back to reassure myself that my additional Stadia is still with me

The Legend of Johnny Googleseed.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Has Stadia added a Skyrim mod manager to its library? I don’t know if Skyrim itself was ported but it doesn’t matter. The settings tinkerer type could have hundreds of hours of fun downloading, installing, and managing conflicts between mods and never get to the part where they play the game. (Almost typed “where they wake up in a cart”, but I bet you can mod the intro out).

I have listened to many exhausting stories from a coworker who plays games this way. The guy always struck me as a perfect candidate to become a stadia zealot — he’s a proud “early adopter” and loves to talk about the great “tech” (always in generic terms) in whatever doomed thing he’s bought into, but almost never the experience of using it. I bet the lack of mod support is the main thing holding him back.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

The source backing this claim: “ncta analysis”

It’s super obvious that it’s a lie because somehow the number of people with gigabit access (80+%) is implied to be higher than the number with broadband (80%). They are either saying that the definition of broadband is faster than one gigabit (obviously not true as someone else already pointed out), or they are playing games with the definition of a home vs a household.

Most likely this is just a scam attached to the way cable companies advertise their services, which I’ve experienced personally. For the past 3 or 4 years, I’ve been getting mail from ATT to sign up for their fiber service. It was exciting news to me the first time the letter came because the cable service in my town is expensive, slow, and unreliable, so I went online and put in my address to see if I could sign up, and it did indeed show an “ATT fiber” plan as one of the options, initially with “up to 20 Mbps” — and over the years it increased to “up to 50Mbps”. So obviously they were not running a fiber to your address. I did a bit of reading, and the deal was that they ran a fiber to some nodes in your town, then used the existing utility lines (probably phone) the rest of the way. Somehow they got away with advertising this as providing fiber internet access to customers.

Interestingly, I checked again this year and ATT no longer shows a fiber plan at my address. I hope they got in trouble for blatantly lying to customers and regulators for years. It’s America, though, so I doubt it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

The distinction is the first is "have" as in "pay the requisite amount to be using a service that provides them broadband internet access" while the second is "have access" as in "could theoretically pay enough money to get gigabit access."

Where are you finding that clarification? Both sentences use the phrase "have access". It seems intentionally vague in both cases about whether a customer has to be actively paying for the service to be counted in the metric. It's the same weasel language used by conservatives who say they support "universal access to healthcare" instead of just plain "universal healthcare".

I guess I don't care to dig into this any further, your interpretation may be right. Either way, it's obviously manipulative and misleading.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

the true genius of the stadia business model was to invest in gpus and resell them during the 2021 chip shortage after their service flopped

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

I'm not really familiar with the history of the vega or why it was chosen for stadia. If I remember right, it was concurrent with the 10 series nvidia GTX line, and vega64 was somewhere around a 1080 or 1070 Ti in performance right? That's still not bad by today's standards, though I wouldn't want to use it at 4k resolution.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Sure about that? The GPU market is bananas right now. The sold listings on eBay for vega64 show them selling for $600+ in the past few days.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=vega64&_sacat=0&rt=nc&LH_Sold=1&LH_Complete=1

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

As I continue scrolling through these gpu listings on ebay I think I can actually say that having a warehouse full of unused vega64s because your failing clown gaming platform has no users is legitimately good for stadia in 2021, lmao. (Assuming they bought these cards before the shortage in anticipation of growth that never came.)

Edit: Oh, I think I misinterpreted someone's joke above about google auctioning graphics cards as something that actually happened. False alarm everyone, there's no good news for stadia.

Bad Purchase fucked around with this message at 21:31 on May 17, 2021

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

excuse me, john, can you check and see if you have any more skyrim in the back?

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Mirificus posted:

quote:

...I think they're also afraid to admit they've made bad purchases...

A sad and weak mindset. Bad purchases are to be celebrated.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Hey Hosty, which of these images looks better to you?

1080P:

As you can maybe see, the 4K picture is compressed to hell and back resulting in insane colour banding, crushed black levels and all kinds of problems. You know, like the issues you get on Stadia.

The 1080P picture is also compressed, but because 1080P has 25% of the pixels of a 4K image, we can get away with a lot less compression.

Resolution isn't NEARLY everything.

E: just to clarify: these are not screenshots from the Stadia or any other streaming platform. They are just Cyberpunk screenshots, originally in 4K size, compressed very heavily on the 4K and less so on the 1080P to demonstrate that bitrate is quite possibly a lot more important than raw resolution, and trying to hide behind "b...b...but Stadia is 4K (sometimes, in some games, kinda)" is horse poo poo.

Resolution dick waving is even more stupid these days now that AI upscaling is starting to get seriously impressive. The new nVidia Shield, and the 2021 Sony OLEDs, for instance can make even 720P look very impressive on 4K screens. So why would you be streaming 4X or 9x the information in applications where people are looking at constantly moving images from some distance away?

I agree with the point you're making -- streaming in 4K is a waste compared to 1080 or even 720 in situations where you're trying to fit in a reasonable bandwidth envelope. However, my browser is telling me that the 4k jpg is 127 kB and the 1080p jpg is 528 kB. A fair comparison would be to show a 4K and 1080 image where the file sizes are equal.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

boo_radley posted:

is there a cursed technology thread for comments like this?

yes, the cursed technology thread you seek exists and is called "Stadia: I have no developers and I must stream"

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i don't work for google and think stadia is a doomed platform because its business model makes no sense and the experience of using it is mostly bad.

but trying to explain that bitrate is more important than resolution, then showing two images that aren't examples of equivalent bitrates at different resolutions (the good one is 4x as many bits as the bad one) is misleading. it's just as bad as when stadia proponents say that stadia is better than other streaming services because it supports 4k.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

the post says both images came from the same source -- a 4k screenshot (presumably promo material or something) -- and were saved with different compression settings. they weren't captured from someone's stadia stream.

i guess i can kinda see the point of the original example to show that resolution isn't everything. it's possible to have 4k that looks like dogshit compared to 1080 if the 4k image used worse compression. it counters the argument that "4k is always better than 1080".

maybe i misinterpreted it to mean "4k will always look worse than 1080 when using the same bitrate", which isn't really true. a good encoder would have more or less equivalent quality at 1080 and 4k at a constant bitrate. 4k would have a higher quality ceiling if the data rate was allowed to get really high, but we know stadia isn't taking advantage of that, which makes 4k nothing more than a marketing bullet.

anyway, i think this conversation thread i started was mostly my fault for misunderstanding the point the original comment was trying to make.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Bronze Fonz posted:

gently caress, it was funny, just move on. Nobody needs to be defending anything here except the google dude.

i don't really think it was meant to be funny, but ok, i already clarified a couple posts ago that i misunderstood the point of the post, and nothing i said anywhere was ever in defense of stadia. maybe we can move on together, hand in hand.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

diablo immortal, now on stadia

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

developers didn't have to waste time on presentation material so the complete absence at E3 must be good for stadia!

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Stux posts are a letdown after reading the Stadia vs PS4 essay.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

it runs linux, a well known gaming OS

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

just as a point of comparison: the steam handheld runs linux too (steam os), but they're using a windows api layer that can more or less play a lot of native windows games without any help from the developer. It's not always perfect, and developers can still do a native port if they want better performance, but valve isn't fully dependent on developers being willing to do the work.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

The goon who did that poo poo was Wojtek. Also gave away his dogs or something because feeding them was taking too much time away from raiding.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3611265

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

rushing in here to tell you what a pointless waste of time this thread that i'm reading and replying to is

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

the duty cycle doesn't really matter, just the raw number of packets transferred, which will be the same in the end if you're watching a 1 hour movie or playing 1 hour of a game at an equivalent video bitrate. the user experience will obviously be more susceptible to latency and transient network hiccups when there is no buffer and the encoder quality won't be as good in real-time as a pre-rendered video at the same bitrate, but to the network carrying traffic for millions of people at once, it's all gonna average out to the same load.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Spellman posted:

If you already have a library on Stadia for whatever reason, having that library accessible on as many devices, especially devices with controllers, would help. A bit like already having a library of iTunes movies, it would be convenient to have them playable on non-Apple devices. I hate iTunes, am frustrated that I bought movies on it, but, having only 9 reasons to hate iTunes instead of 10 helps iTunes

It’s not clear from your post if you’re wishing that iTunes option existed or if you already know about it. But just in case you don’t, you can link your Apple account to Movies Anywhere and then your movies will show up in your library on other linked accounts (Amazon, Play Store, etc.). I use this pretty often, except the opposite way. I watch stuff from my Amazon library through iTunes or Apple TV because their stream quality is usually better than Amazon’s.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

^ obviously this is good for stadia. nvidia hogging their 3080s instead of giving them to retailers means more frustrated PC gamers who can't upgrade and may turn to streaming in an act of desperation

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

100 games in a year would be a perfectly healthy number if most of them were new or relatively recent graphically intense games that play to the strength of a streaming platform

but most of them will be decade old ports or indie games that would run just fine on integrated graphics or a last gen console

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

thinking back to when i would drive home from college for a weekend, and put my whole rear end desktop computer and CRT monitor in the trunk of my car

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

simply release fifty AAA games per year and sell 3.3 million copies of each and your service could break even!!

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Time_pants posted:

Are there even 50 titles that break 1 million in sales in a year?

i would assume so, especially if you count mobile gaming, and definitely if you include people buying stuff in free to play games as part of the definition of sales.

the absurd part isn't so much the idea of having 50 games that sell well every year across the whole industry, it's glossing over the process of concentrating all of those games and migrating all of those users to one platform, year after year. plus the idea that the only thing keeping any platform from being able to do that and finally conquering the gaming market once and for all is their reluctance to invest the impossible sum of $1 billion. ask the epic game store how that's going.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

it was a successful game announcement because here we are still talking about it 4 years later

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

American McGay posted:

We're talking about it becomes it comes out in like a week or whatever. No one was talking about Diablo Immortal at all over the past 4 years.

people absolutely still reference the diablo immortal blizzcon announcement, it’s a meme

e: the title of the thread to discuss the next wow expansion is “don’t you guys like dragons”

it’s true very few care about the game, but they remember how it was announced

Bad Purchase fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Apr 25, 2022

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

using one google product to track the defects of another :sickos:

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

joylessdivision posted:

What do you think their support people use? Office? Lol.

that actually wouldn't surprise me, not that ms office is any good, but browser apps are pretty unpleasant to use compared to native apps.

or maybe google makes its employees eat their own dog food, i don't know. i do know there are plenty who use iphones over android, and certainly they aren't all working on chromebooks.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

why would they be ok with apple but not microsoft, though? isn't android basically partnered with windows now, to the point where you can run android apps on your pc and sync your text messaging and calls and stuff?

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

as a gamer, nothing amps me up more than thinking about the revenue split of my subscription fees between the developer and platform owner

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

all these gamer dads who have no time for installing console updates and are lucky to finish one game per year, but have plenty of time to compose high school writing template persuasive essays about stadia on the internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

the winner, as always, is nintendo