Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Tetrabor posted:

One thing that drives me nuts (and is mentioned in that link) is the consumer desperation for system exclusives.
It's a ploy by corporations to force you to buy their hardware and nothing more. gently caress anyone who supports that poo poo.

Exclusives are awesome. Let me guess: you're an Xbone owner?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

No, I've just noticed that Xbone owners get super mad about Bloodborne.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

ethanol posted:

God drat you could have sold that and bought a bunch of pc, ps4, and switch Stadia games

ftfy

...!
Oct 5, 2003

That's literally what he's paid to do.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

lol

quote:

As for the gameplay resolution, there no 4K, yet. However, the games are undeniably higher resolution than the PS4 and Xbox-one. I've also been so shocked at the complete elimination of screen tear. I'm so used to it from the PS4 that I usually ignore it, but it's so noticeable in its absence when using the Stadia. I also need to point out that the Chromecast Ultra does output 4K at 60FPS and that's what you're getting from it. Stadia also does stream at 4K 60FPS (see Google's explanation here) However, because of the lack of 4K native games available on Stadia at the moment, that's not really the end result. What you do get though, is an image that is better than PS4 and Xbox due to the upscaling applied by Google's servers.

Not only does Stadia look better than PS4 and Xbone, the sub-4k graphics are undeniably higher resolution than the 4k graphics from other systems.

They're not even trying anymore.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Stadia/comments/e3dgcp/an_earnest_letter_to_the_haters/

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Astroturfing is a good thing that should be encouraged!

quote:

I'm telling you guys, companies HAVE to combat this stuff. For every negative YouTuber then Google should hire two Youtubers to shoot down myths and false narratives, hence "combat marketing."

https://www.reddit.com/r/Stadia/comments/e3i4xz/if_vr_and_stadia_taught_us_anything_its_that/

...!
Oct 5, 2003

univbee posted:

What was extra-dickish was if you bought a physical edition of Half-Life 2, the code it registered was a special one that still required you to have the disc in the drive as a copy protection CD check. Like, on top of Steam, you had a SecuROM verification. They eventually patched it out, though.

Really? I bought it day one and I don't remember having to leave a disc in the drive. In fact, I don't even remember having a disc. I remember being slightly annoyed when I discovered that I had basically paid for nothing more than a Steam code in a gigantic box.

Of course, that was like fifteen years ago and there's a possibility that I might be getting forgetful in my old age...

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Holy poo poo :stare:

...!
Oct 5, 2003

FF XV apparently has some gamebreaking bugs on Stadia, including disabling the ability to save your game:

https://piunikaweb.com/2019/11/28/stadia-final-fantasy-xv-save-comrades-bugs/

Stadia sure does look like a great gaming experience thus far...

...!
Oct 5, 2003

These people are truly amazing :allears:

quote:

So from time to time I enter the local games store with my partner and we browse. I rarely buys anything, preferring online purchases (i don't like owning things I don't need or find particularly valuable/interesting), and she will get a cheap 3DS game about once a year (this time she was looking at the Switch, but we both agree it's way too expensive for how little she'd probably end up using it; instead she got Luigi's Mansion 2 on 3DS on the cheap).

And we walked by a few titles we had been discussing... And I had a bit of an epiphany when I just up and said "I'll wait for it to come out on Stadia", and then "This one should be on sale on Stadia soon enough"...

I can just imagine this guy talking super loudly in the hope that other customers/employees hear him.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Stadia/comments/e3f991/this_weird_moment_when_you_enter_a_games_store/

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Wow, I think I might have found the king of astroturfed Reddit accounts. (Gotta be curious about a guy who's so turned on by a piece of tech that he titles a post "This. Is. Stadia.")

Posts exclusively in Google-related subreddits, with literally hundreds of posts in the past month alone, doing nothing but shilling Google's products and attacking anyone who dares to say anything negative about them. 95% of his posts over the last month are in the Stadia subreddit and the rest are mostly in the Google phone subreddits, with a few posts in the YouTube TV subreddit. And all of Google’s products are flawless; don't you dare say otherwise.

Before this month, the account appears to have mainly shilled Google's phones. You'd think Google would try to be a bit less obvious with the astroturfing. I sure hope they pay that guy a lot.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

To be fair, some services like Spotify and Netflix will do that.

Google Stadia will probably be long dead before they even consider talking to the likes of ComCast.

Huh. I was under the impression that ISPs (especially Comcast) hate streaming, which is a huge part of why they're pushing back so hard against net neutrality: they want to be allowed to throttle the gently caress out of Netflix traffic.

If that's not true, that's pretty drat interesting... :thunk:

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Hmm... maybe Google should try to negotiate a Stadia version of Star Citizen. That will get people excited! :aaa:

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Atomizer posted:

This. Disk space isn't the concern. As far as the updates are concerned, the real popular multiplayer games tend to have frequent updates that can be fairly large. Fortnite, PUBG, R6 Siege, etc., can have updates in the gigabyte range. Dota 2 generally doesn't have huge updates, but I swear it gets updated more than once a day. If you're really interested, and I remember the next time I play on my desktop, I can make note of the game updates.

Oh, then Stadia really isn't for you. NBA 2k20 forces you to wait while it downloads and installs ( to where?? :confused: ) an update file every time you launch the game. :allears:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Stadia/comments/e28tz1/can_someone_explain_why_i_have_game_updates_on/

...!
Oct 5, 2003

And then everyone stood up and clapped.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Stadia/comments/e5irwj/interesting_reaction/

...!
Oct 5, 2003

gschmidl posted:

Stadiain't.

:eyepop:

...!
Oct 5, 2003

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

I know you’re a true believer but gently caress me how can you not just listen to other people’s experiences?

He's paid to ignore them. :ssh:

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

It's the kind of posting that's identical to the Star Citizen subreddit. Are you sure you don't want to get into that community? You'd fit right in!

quote:

What do you think about having Star Citizen on Stadia? (self.Stadia)
submitted 4 hours ago by Ahrlin4k

Personally, I believe this would be a match made in heaven. Google could provide additional funding and a platform and I hope this would make both take off in terms of sales. Imagine being able to play such an ambitious game anywhere!

https://www.reddit.com/r/Stadia/comments/e5yrdk/what_do_you_think_about_having_star_citizen_on/

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Cemetry Gator posted:

But didn't you hear! At the airport he was able to play destiny 2 with no problems.

Which I can't believe given my experience with airport wifi.

Just wait until airports start blocking Stadia traffic...

...!
Oct 5, 2003

univbee posted:

I guess I'll ask you too, what's preventing you from buying a console. Console price? Embarrassment of owning a console? No room under the TV? What?

I'm pretty sure he's being sarcastic to mock hostile apostle. :ssh:

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Cardiovorax posted:

I think currently I'd rather wait to see if the PS5 will be backwards compatible again than to buy a PS4, but there are still a lot of good games for it.

They've announced that PS5 will be backward compatible with PS4 games, and all future PS consoles will be backward compatible all the way back to PS4. No more funky proprietary hardware in the future.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Cemetry Gator posted:

Especially if the PS5 is backwards compatible - I wonder if devs will do some PS4 games that are enhanced on the PS5 - sort of like how some GBC games had special functions on the GBA, or how some GB games did special things on the Super GameBoy or the GBC.

Imagine, we can finally have the experience of playing the GB version of Space Invaders on the Super GameBoy and unlocking a SNES game in the next generation.

Oh, I'm sure they will. Fucktons of PS3 games got remastered/enhanced versions on PS4 so the market for last-gen games must still be huge.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

hostile apostle posted:

Forbes reviewer, who skewered Stadia on release, is a believer now:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2019/12/04/third-times-the-charm-how-google-and-i-finally-fixed-stadia-on-chromecast/#235d0aa154fe

If anyone wants to genuinely try out Stadia - PM me and I'll send you a buddy pass. EDIT: gone

You do know that forbes.com is a blog, right? Right?

This is like saying "Livejournal reviewer is a believer now." At least the word "believer" does imply that you're starting to understand that you're in a cult now.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

FAUXTON posted:

can't spell stadia without agile

:wrong:

Mulva posted:

They should have destroyed international capitalism by purchasing a mass block of goods and services and offering them from free, leaving other companies unable to compete and leading to the collapse of the world economy.

:hmmyes:

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Some of these posts by paid shills are truly amazing.

quote:

kleegamefan1 5 points 1 month ago*

I have been gaming since 1977. I used to work for Game Fan and EGM Magazines. I have been there and done that. To be honest, I see Stadia as an event in the gaming industry as significant as both the Sony PlayStation and the NES. I feel it's a bigger deal than the Xbox, actually. I feel that within the next 5-10 years, Stadia will be the dominant Videogame platform in terms of market share. Mark my words.

In Stadia, we are witnessing something that seems familiar on the surface, but is actually fundamentally and technologically profound! Google isn't tethered to a legacy client hardware relationship like XCloud or PSNow, even though it can play traditional console or PC games just fine.

And it is here which reveals Google's most important decision of all :to eschew traditional videogame console and/or PC hardware and design Stadia technology exclusively on cloud computing/server-based hardware. This is what will separate them the most from Microsoft, for example.

The amount of skepticism surrounding Stadia isn't surprising to me in the least. I remember quite clearly, similar hand wringing and pearl clutching during NES and PSOne introductions!

Just like the PlayStation and the NES before it, Stadia will be a "slow burn" towards market acceptance and eventually domination. It will REALLY accelerate once Stadia's competition fully accept cloud gaming as the future but when the time comes for PS5 and Xbox Scarlett to be replaced in 6-7 years, it will be too late. By then, Google will have too much of a head start with the tech.

I'm about to turn 51 years old and I am a new grandfather (Grandadia?) but in four decades, I have never been more optimistic and excited for gaming than I am now because of Stadia.

It truly is a "game changer" in my eyes.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

heeheex2 posted:

retards turning this into another star citizen thread :downsbravo:

To be fair, if you check the :reddit: post history of the people posting about how Stadia is the "future of gaming", if you exclude the ones that are obvious paid shills then you'll see that a not insignificant percentage of the others are also Star Citizen true believers. There's a gigantic intersect between the two groups. Many of them even post all about their hopes that Star Citizen could be the killer app that shows off the True Power of Stadia.

Stadia and Star Citizen (and bitcoin, unsurprisingly!) appear to attract the exact same flavor of brokebrain.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

quote:

Proving Stadia to friends (self.Stadia)
submitted 6 hours ago by TheMoonsaults

I was at a small gathering last night at a friend's house. Towards the end of the night, someone mentioned Stadia, and my buddy mentioned that I opted for the FE. Questions ensued, but nothing proves Stadia like pulling out a Bluetooth controller, loading it up on Desktop mode on my phone, and passing it around for people to try out.

Now, my friend has decent WiFi (150/50 or so), but as expected, Stadia ran like a dream. One guy was crazy impressed, said it's better than his Xbox One, and mentioned that his work is about to start work with Stadia (I should really find out what he does 🤔) and another exclaimed "I can't actually believe this. I don't think I'm ok with how good this is" but he can be a little dramatic at times.

And there ya go. 3-4 people in the room paid attention to the stream, and 3-4 people went away with the impression that the Stadia tech is the future of gaming.

Definitely don't have to carry a console around to show off this great service!

quote:

ltnew007 28 points 5 hours ago*

I don't think YouTubers will be able to suppress the truth for very long.

drat YouTubers always suppressing the truth! :argh:

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Also it would appear that (as anyone with half a brain already predicted before the drat thing even released) Google's breathless declarations that Stadia can be played literally anywhere with internet service are quickly being proven wrong.

Many :reddit: users report that their schools and workplaces have been swift to block all Stadia traffic, and that pace will surely ramp up quickly when Stadia has its wider public release. I imagine that airports, hotels and Starbucks will do so soon as well since Stadia traffic rapidly degrades the service for these businesses' other users.

And, of course, people are already hitting the data caps on their home service. One guy even posted about stealing his neighbors' unsecured wi-fi in order to continue playing his Stadia after hitting his own data cap, and advocated others do the same thing.

So, while this should already be extremely obvious to anyone with home wi-fi, make sure it's secured!

...!
Oct 5, 2003

quote:

reiketsukage 1 point an hour ago

Maybe Google should just acquire Valve.

quote:

LimitedToTwentyChara[S] 2 points 52 minutes ago

Now that's an idea, seriously. If Valve doesn't catch up eventually with their own cloud gaming service, an acquisition by some company might just be inevitable, and at a steep discount.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Yeah, some Stadia users are also suggesting that Google should simply kill the competition by buying Sony. These people don't exactly live in reality.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

quote:

Get Call of Duty on Google Stadia

ULTV ULTV started this petition to Google, Inc

Make the lives of gamers easy again. So many platforms but one of the newest and best will not have one of the top games Call of Duty Modern Warfare.

We just want equal rights on all systems. Add the top games ASAP.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Majin posted:

What!!

Shows how much I gave a poo poo about the service to not even know that. That’s even worse!!

I can't imagine there ever being crossplay with other platforms. Stadia users might not notice the latency now, but they sure as hell would when they started getting owned by people on other platforms since those people are several frames ahead.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

That could be a new ad campaign for Stadia if Google's smart about it.

Stadia: Better Than Antstream :smug:

...!
Oct 5, 2003

The Stadia subreddit has actually started calling Google out on the poor graphics, especially for RDR2. The fact that these posts are no longer being downvoted into oblivion and are actually gaining agreement is a good sign that even the Stadia Faithful are becoming restless.

Probably Stadia's biggest selling point right now is the quick load times. That particular advantage should be demolished next year; the new consoles are using SSDs rather than hard drives. Should be interesting to see the cultists' reactions when that happens (if Stadia even still exists by then).

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I'm greatly amused by the increasing number of cultists suggesting that Google should try to make a deal with Croberts to make Stadia the lead platform for Star Citizen, and they aren't trolling.

The Future of Gaming + the Game of the Future = Stadia's complete dominance over all other gaming platforms. No one will want PS5/Scarlett/PCs; only Stadia will matter to anyone.

Yes, they actually believe this. These people should be in institutions.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

quote:

Commercial Idea for Full Launch (self.Stadia)
submitted 44 minutes ago by cli121

A kid walk into a room nagging to mom and dad to buy video games.

Mom give Dad a "I've GOT THIS" look and start listing that they will need to buy 1)A console 2) Games 3) A extra TV for them to play at because Grandma need to watch her show. That like a $1000 investment. Way too much money.

Then kid with a smug smile and nod his head to signal the Stadia Guy. Stadia Guy walk-in and start explaining that the cost is only $10 a month. No Console necessary, Destiny for Free, No TV because Play anywhere (Chromebook Commercial Insert) and Use existing controller or mouse/Keyboard.

Dad eyes WIDE OPEN #Dadadia to the possibility for himself and brought the kid Stadia.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Looking at the fine print, you only get surround sound if you pay for the Pro service. That's been a basic feature for two console generations now (not even counting next year's consoles) and even some PS2 games have it.

The value proposition for this thing just keeps getting worse the more you look into it.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

quote:

Could Sony/Microsoft/others be responsible for all the Stadia hate?Speculation(self.Stadia)
submitted 1 days ago by GanonZD to /r/Stadia

Normally, I’m not a conspiracy theorist at all. In general, whenever someone is accusing some big, “evil” organization of some giant, secret plot, I usually don’t take it seriously, for plots of that size are sure to get leaked by somebody at some point. However, the video game industry (especially the console part) is very unique because it is extremely divided into a couple of platforms which are being very tightly controlled by some big tech firm (Microsoft/Sony/Nintendo/Valve/etc.). Even the film media industry, which is perhaps the closest relative, is completely different: Both VHS, DVD, Blu-ray etc. were/are licensed products. Anyone can build a DVD player. Only Sony can build a Playstation and get away with it. This means that in the video game industry, you are extremely dependent on having a good relation to these companies. In other words, piss off Sony or Microsoft, and you might lose your early reviewer copy of video games, or you might lose advertising money. (Look at the firing of Jeff Gerstmann from GameSpot.)

So unlike in other industries, these kinds of conspiracies could actually make sense in the video game industry. I’m not saying that Sony or Microsoft or anyone else has explicitly requested or paid reviewers into writing negative reviews of Stadia (though this could perhaps be the case). The pressure could be much more implicit, with reviewers simply being afraid of writing anything except negative reviews of Stadia, because they sense what the consequences might be. Furthermore, it is not unlikely that reviewers themselves are interested in keeping the industry exactly the way it is now. If streaming one day becomes the default way for most people to play (just like it has happened with TV series by now), there will be much fewer things for reviewers to review. They can review games, Wi-Fi controllers, streaming devices, and similar accessories, but not video game consoles. Finally, the “rivalry” between the fan communities of the Playstation and Xbox brands, and the five-year console tech race, creates a special dynamic that drives the industry forward. You don’t see the same kind of polarized division of the communities around Netflix, HBO, Amazon Prime, Hulu, and Disney+. There could be leading forces in the video game industry, both on the tech side and on the reviewer side, who are very interested in keeping things exactly the way they are now, with no extra streaming service from Google to shake up the market.

Could this kind of subtle, implicit conspiracy be one source of all the negative reviews of Stadia, and all the hate?

...!
Oct 5, 2003

quote:

Am I missing something? It shouldn't be hard for devs to port to Stadia. (self.Stadia)
submitted 6 hours ago by VRgamer84

I keep hearing about how difficult and time consuming it is for games to be ported to Stadia but why is this? I'm playing Shadow Of The Tomb Raider currently and it's identical to PS4 version. Same with Destiny 2, MK11 etc.

So what makes it so hard? Keep in mind we aren't talking about something like porting to the Switch where devs literally have to go back and re work an entire game engine and assets to make a game work on inferior hardware.

These games on Stadia are practically identical to other console versions, so what makes it so hard and time consuming?

quote:

VRgamer84[S] -5 points 6 hours ago

Well obviously the games speak for themselves, it's very doable considering the litany of current gen games that are out and the many more incoming like Cyberpunk 2077. I'm not implying it's as easy as walking out to your mailbox, but I also don't think it's as difficult as some of you suggest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...!
Oct 5, 2003

ErrEff posted:

Later in the comments, the OP clarifies what "bad" means:

Hmm, gee, wonder if this might be a shill. Nothing but Stadia posts, including gems like this early on:

I've seen some Stadia shills on Reddit who are so shameless that they suggest fixing connection issues by buying more Google hardware.

"Slow internet speed killing your Stadia experience? No problem! Just buy the most expensive Chromecast, and make sure you run it through a Google-branded router. That fixed all my issues, so it should fix all of your issues as well."

Yes, I've seen that. More than once.

Zaodai posted:

They also vary wildly by time of day, which leads to moments where it thinks its going to take 7 hours to download a game but then realizes you're downloading it at midnight and so it downloads in 40 minutes instead.

Though I did grab one of the old PS1 games on sale recently and the download finished before the PS4 had gotten far enough along to even tell me I had a download in the queue. 450 MB games, wave of the future!

The thing about PS4 downloads (and I don't know why this is the case, but it has been A Thing on the PSN even going back to the PS3 days) is that some of their individual download servers are really fast and others are really slow.

Which server you get connected to is completely random. If your download is going slowly, you can usually speed it up by pausing then unpausing the download, which forces the system to randomly select a server again. You'll immediately get a much faster server 90% of the time that you do this. The other 10% of the time, you'll have to do this three or four times before you finally hit the server jackpot.

Moral of the story: Slow PSN download = pause then unpause