Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!
I'm really interested in game streaming as a technology. Not enough to pay the Stadia asking price, but I'm looking forward to trying it out when the free tier rolls around. I've messed around with streaming a bit before: I played Assassin's Creed Odyssey on my Dad PC (Overpowered gaming rig that I use 2-3 hours a week) from my iPad via Steam Link and it ran essentially perfectly (3 or 4 ~1 second hiccups per hour). I also tried remote play via PS4 on a local connection but found it basically unusable, which is weird because Steam Link works so well on the same network. And I subscribe to PS Now, which is a fantastic value that everyone should be using if they're remotely interested in Streaming, and that works great. I think Stadia could be really great but the value proposition is so bad right now, especially when compared to PSNow that it's hard to imagine it ever catching on unless they seriously change the business model.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

tater_salad posted:

Ceptin even though it's on home network it's got lots of instability and poo poo.

I use it all the time at home and it's basically indistinguishable from playing on the actual PC. There are a couple seconds worth of stutter per hour and that's it.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Heehee, can I have your friend code? I promise to give it an honest evaluation.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

pixaal posted:

I don't think they are releasing friend codes until next year some time.

My honest evaluation of that is :sadfan:

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

GFN is basically everything I wanted Stadia to be. I have a gaming desktop and a less powerful but still good gaming laptop, but when I travel for work I don't want to bring 2 laptops with me. GFN seems to sync with steam saves, so I should be able to continue my games from where I left off at home, right?

Not sure how good this will work with hotel wifi, but based on all the Stadia comments I'm sure it will be great.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

I've now spent 15 minutes playing Dark Souls 3 and about an hour on Assassins Creed Odyssey through GFN and it works well enough that my interest in Stadia has gone from low to non-existant. I'm honestly amazed it works as well as it does given that it's basically just running Windows - with all the special stuff Google has had to do, the fact that GFN works as well (or better, judging by screenshots) is very impressive. It does use a TON of data though, so for people on metered connections it's still not really going to be usable. I can't imagine a person for whom Stadia would be better than GFN honestly, unless managing a Steam account is too much of a technical hurdle, but that person isn't streaming games anyway.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Apostle is such an incompetent shill, I'm sure he's Phil Harrison.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

These people treat playing on your phone as the best feature in the world but I can't imagine trying to play a modern AAA game with a controller on a tiny phone screen. I played a bit of Playstation remote play on my phone just to try it out, and while it worked well enough I would never actually play like that.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Yeah, it's really neat that it works at all, but my reaction was "huh, that's cool" and then I never touched it again. I bet 99% of the people on Stadia do the same thing.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

quote:

• Netflix of games.

If it actually was that it might be popular

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Maybe. I'd bet Assassin's Creed works ok. It's not one of the games I got with the buddy pass so I can't see for myself. Regardless, 2 of the games Stadia chose to sell itself on were Destiny 2 and Doom, and those play best with minimal input lag.

I've been playing a lot of Assassins Creed Odyssey through GFN and it works great most of the time but every ~5 minutes playing on my laptop (on wifi) or so there are a few seconds of stuttering. This doesn't really impede the gameplay much since most of your time in AC:O is spent running around the world, and even the fighting is not very fast paced so it hasn't been a problem. Definitely worse than playing it direct on my PC but totally playable. I'm curious whether Stadia would be any better but I suspect not since I bet the problem is that I'm on wifi.

I can't imagine trying to play something like Doom with it. The stuttering would kill you every time.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

GeForce Now just added Control, the best game of the past year, but I'm sure Stadia's lineup is just as good.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

hostile apostle posted:

Is it also funny that you have to buy a playstation to play on playstation?

You don't actually, PSNow is $10 a month and comes with 700 games.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

hostile apostle posted:

You do have to have a DS controller

Which is a lot cheaper than $130.

edit: lol, no you actually don't, it works with pretty much any controller: https://www.reddit.com/r/PlayStationNow/comments/9lbfmh/is_it_possible_to_use_psn_with_a_generic/

The Pirate Captain fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Apr 2, 2020

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Per my edit earlier, yes, it is wrong.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PlayStationNow/comments/9lbfmh/is_it_possible_to_use_psn_with_a_generic/

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Question for HA - does it get tiring to be constantly wrong about everything?

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

hostile apostle posted:

this is just rude man...

Geforce and XB have both done staged roll outs - its not an easy technical feat to just unleash this service into the wild to everyone day 1

I hate it when people are rude to one of the biggest companies in the world.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

HA hooked me up with a trial code a few days ago but I haven't had the chance to try it out yet. Hopefully this weekend. Congrats to Google for rolling this out now as I honestly thought it wasn't going to happen until much later. I still think it won't succeed because the business model is bad compared to its competitors but at least now we'll get a real chance to see.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Stux posted:

the current monthly humble bundle includes hitman 2 a AAA game that came out a month after RDR2 and you get a full steam key lol

It also has like 10 other games, you get to keep them forever, not just while you're a subscriber, and all that costs the same as a month of Stadia.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

I'm going through the sign up process and you have to be in Chrome to get it to work. Like, I understand that I have to use Chrome to play games, but there's no reason I shouldn't be able to sign up using a different browser.

edit: lol, the code that HA gave me was already used by someone else.

The Pirate Captain fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Apr 8, 2020

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

I retract my previous sarcasm, HA gave me another code and it worked fine.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Kikas posted:

Stadia is an okay idea, but the business model will kill it.

Yeah, the technology seems to work well at least on a good Internet connection, but lol at paying full price or more than full price in some cases for a sub-par experience that chews up bandwidth. GFN and PSNow both have much better models and I use both of those. I would never subscribe to Stadia unless they radically change the model.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Dunning-Kruger is definitely in play in that post, but not how its author thinks it is.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

I finally had a free night last night so I figured I’d give Stadia a shot. Total time for launching Chrome, logging into Stadia, and launching Thumper was less than a minute.

But that’s where the good news ended. On my powerful gaming PC with a crazy fast internet connection, I got noticeable artifacting in the video stream and the latency was terrible. From the very beginning of the game, timing presses with the music resulted in the press registering on screen .25 seconds or more later. In a rhythm game, this is totally unacceptable. The sound was way out of sync with the video, but somehow I was still nailing every beat. I’m sure Stadia works fine with games that are less time-sensitive than Thumper, but I made it only a few minutes before I had to stop.

As a test, I loaded up Steam, downloaded Thumper, installed it, and started playing. Total time to do so was less than a minute. Then I played for a couple hours because Thumper is great.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

hostile apostle posted:

Stay tuned, bud

I assume this means that GTA5 is coming to Stadia for free and Control is coming and will be $15 bucks because anything else would be pretty embarrassing after "Stay tuned, bud".

And neither of them require a paid subscription, of course, because they sure don't on Epic.

The Pirate Captain fucked around with this message at 00:07 on May 15, 2020

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

American McGay posted:

They do however require 80GB of free hard drive space and a computer made sometime in the last decade.

Good point, I can’t imagine anybody has that.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

hostile apostle posted:

PS Now is primarily sold as an upsell to the existing PS install base - most users are not using it for streaming. Yes - it could be a good comp for consumer appetite for a content subscription. PS Now was also $20/month for a long time. What is in the content sub matters alot.

Sort of apples and oranges in other ways though. Stadia offers games ala cart as well, and it is less tethered to the console than PS Now. Also offers a lot features that PS Now can't and Stadia will continue to add.

$20/month to spend 10 hours to download a game on your PS4 sounds like a crap experience. Stadia is pick up and play instantly.

You should probably do some actual research into what your competition offers and what they charge for it. I’m starting to understand how Stadia ended up the mess it is.....

hostile apostle posted:

Granted I have a launch PS4 but took me 8 hours to download COD Warzone on my gigabit connection

How long did it take you to start playing COD Warzone on Stadia?

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

The Serious Sam thing is especially funny since it's not even "exclusive", it's just a game that's launching on PC (including Stadia) before consoles like tons of games do.

HA, has the thing we were supposed to be waiting for happened yet?

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

HA, I have tried Stadia. I've tried almost all of the streaming services (the only big one I haven't tried is XCloud - I got into the beta but haven't bothered to launch it yet). I am one of your potential customers, since I have a use case for streaming (unlike most people), despite owning consoles and a beefy PC.

I am currently subscribed to both GFN and Shadow, though I'll probably cancel GFN once they start charging since Shadow is so much better than any of the other streaming services. I used to subscribe to PSNow, back when I had more time to spend in front of a TV, but now my TV time is limited and I spend most of my time on MacOS and iOS devices - if PSNow could run on either of those I would probably subscribe to it too, since its library is fantastic, especially for the price.

Look at the above, seriously consider it. I am a prime candidate for Stadia, yet despite trying it (thank you for the buddy code) I found it to be worse than any of the previously mentioned services. While it is true that I had a worse experience with more lag and video compression artifacts than any of your competitors, I will give it the benefit of the doubt and chalk that up to their servers being closer to my house or something. I have lots of reasons for not liking Stadia, but they mostly boil down to the library and business model. Paying a monthly fee for the crap that your members get is ridiculous, your latest comparison of Power Rangers to XCom or whatever was laughable. I might consider buying the occasional one-off title, except whatever game I'm interested in I can get cheaper all kinds of other places and play on Shadow. Shadow also lets me play literally every other PC game ever released, because it IS, for all intents and purposes, a PC. It costs $5 more a month than Stadia, but I make up for that many times over by saving on game costs. Also, games I play on Shadow I can also play on my PC offline if something should happen to my Internet connection.

Stadia should have been a no brainer for me - and it is, just not in the way that you want. If you want to talk or something, feel free to PM me or whatever. Despite many sarcastic posts in this thread I legitimately like streaming as a technology and have given Stadia a fair shake. If you can't even win over ideal potential customers like me, Stadia has no chance.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

hostile apostle posted:

most of it still is shovelware - but there are some good games that get added. I played through Gears Tactics and Ori of late - both pretty solid. Haven't gotten to No Man's Sky yet.

But which games are shovelware tho

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

In their presentation yesterday, XBox SeX claimed that it’s going to have 100 titles available this year, and it launches in November. How many is Stadia (which launched a full year earlier) supposed to have by the end of the year again?

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Can we have a rule where if someone has been prob’d more than twice in one thread, all subsequent probes for that thread are minimum 3 days? 6ers are clearly not a deterrent.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

I can’t even begin to understand what that person is trying to say. People who sell products should try to match the number produced to demand, and far too few and far too many are both problems. So what? What is this saying about Stadia? Is it somehow unfair or something? What?

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

I miss HA. I would love to hear about why this 12 days disaster is actually good and cool.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

This is the dumbest thing I’ve ever read. His arguments for why the mainstream media is bad re Stadia are:

1. They expected it to be able to compete with its competitors (XB + PS)
2. ACTUALLY there are some PC games you can only play online too
3. Um, something about, uh, DVDs are still on sale? I have no idea what he’s trying to say here.

It’s all very pathetic.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Feels Villeneuve posted:

this is a dumb question but what actually is GeForce Now, is it actually a streaming service or is it more like Remote Play was on the PS4/Vita where it's for streaming already-purchased games

It’s both. You have to already have the games, but you’re playing them on someone else’s hardware.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

I can’t wait to hear how this is actually good for Stadia.

Actually, this might be good for Stadia. But it’s bad for their current customers.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Stadia: thanks to stadia I bought a switch

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Stadia: assume this is coming out of my rear end until someone does

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

American McGay posted:

“Clearly” lol. Literally everyone says this and they’re always wrong. Game Pass makes ~250 million dollars per month. It’s possibly the most profitable section of the Xbox division.

FWIW, that number comes from an estimated 25 million subscribers as of January ‘22 and assuming each is paying $10/month for the service. Given that of the many, many people I know who use gamepass, zero have paid more than $1 for multiple years of service, something tells me $250 a month is nowhere close.

https://www.businessinsider.com/xbox-game-pass-to-make-billions-in-2022-2022-1