Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Inbox was really slow and hadn't had any updates prior to the announcement of it's discontinuation.

I use Keep a lot and it's been really slow as of late and the only update it's gotten has been dark mode. I feel like they're gonna announce it any day now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Inbox was better. And they killed that off earlier this year.

I like Keep, but it's so slow to load up on Chrome these days, and there hasn't been any major updates to it. Which makes me think they're gonna kill that off soon too.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Google also makes Streetview hard as hell to find these days. You figure they'd want people to see the photos they spent all that money and time on.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The worst of the Stadia ads is the short one with the obnoxious bearded guy saying "STADIA DOESN'T TAKE UP SPACE" and then goes to destroy that couple's Xbox. That couple had a lot of room in their apartment, they did a poor job of communicating physical space being an issue.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

shadow puppet of a posted:

Good to see people out there correctly identifying the stadia community as a band of persecuted-feeling weirdos and trying to gift them for money like one does with flat earthers, colloidal silver cults and bigole fans of JC himself.

emphasis mine.

That is the most Reddit poo poo. Post that in the Reddit.txt thread.

That poor unborn child.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Is that thing where you can share save states or jump into a game right where a streamer is live or did that idea quietly get shelved?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Well, in good news, Stadia finally won an award.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Celexi posted:

1080p streams of most movies or shows look like poo poo versus the blu-ray of them

Case in point, Speed Racer. It's a movie you have to see on Blu-ray (if you didn't get the pleasure of seeing it theatrically.) Streaming the movie does it no justice, actively harming the look of the movie.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

shadow puppet of a posted:

Imagine hearing this r/stadia quote from a former friend or loved one

"Hey, where r u?" "Waiting for the bus" "But you're online in Destiny 2" "So?"

Even if this worked 100%, playing Destiny 2 while waiting for the bus or some other missable event sounds terrible.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1217863861937868806?s=19

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Regardless of how many games were released on Switch at launch, there was a hardware shortage for a few months, retailers couldn't keep it in stock. BOTW at one point had sold more copies than Switch had sold units. Developers started tripping over themselves to develop for it. It's gonna be hilarious to compare Stadia at its six month anniversary compared to the Switch's first six months.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Ineffiable posted:

There's some good points about locking down the client like you don't need to rely on lovely anti piracy software and it prevents hackers but on the other hand....

Imagine playing a Bethesda game without mods. Imagine playing world of Warcraft without those extra third party heads up display apps.

Preservation of video game data will be impossible in this new streaming service. Aren't there people running unofficial ever quest, ashons call and city of heros servers?

We've said it before and I get that there's some convenience with being able to play your client on browsers, phones and Chromecast but there is a lot of freedom given up to do so.

Not to mention, that mods and unnoficial servers still benefit to the company. WoW Classic would never have existed without that unofficial server, and it's undoubtedly the biggest thing to happen to WoW in years.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It's hilarious how Google's repackaging the boomer "I hate my wife" screed as a marketing tactic for millennials.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Google Stadia sounds so complicated to set up. When PS5 comes out, Sony should repackage that how to share PS4 games video but make it about how to to set up PS5.

Step 1. Plug console into TV.
Step 2. Play game.

Plus Sony will make the PS5 it's own convenient box, with the big advantage of locally storing the games you own so you don't have to worry about it hogging up bandwidth, quick loading times, and you won't have to worry about being booted off your game after 15 minutes of idleness. Perfect for young fathers and mothers. I'm sure it'll have games capable of 4k/60fps too.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

You need to be subscribed to Stadia to play the games you bought, right? It's like they combined a streaming service with a digital video store but only kept the negatives.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

quote:

For those considering cancelling pro, just don't.

Like seriously, I was in that camp a couple weeks ago as well and was so close to hitting that cancel button but then Metro Exodus and Gylt hit and I decided that for what I get in return for a measley $9.99 per month is well worth it.

Here is what is going to happen, you will cancel your pro membership, yay you saved that $9.99 per month. But then you are going to come to this sub like you normally do, and you are going to see posts like "OMG, MK11 and Ghost Recon is free for pro!" or "OMG, RDR2 is the free pro game for this month guyz!" etc etc, you get the drift.

Then you will get a bad case of FOMO and game envy and have regrets and you will likely just end up resubscribed to it anyway.
Trust me on this, I'm a huge analytical and numbers guy, I have ran all the numbers and Stadia pays for itself and is well worth it. Oh and remember, you also get discounts on new games as a pro member, so when you start seeing posts like "omg! Doom eternal only $49.99 for pro members!" or any other game for that matter, you will wish you still had it.
Bottom line is this guys, $9.99 is literally 33 cents a day, just keep it.

We have officially entered the bargaining phase.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I mean, Sears and Kmart is in the news all the time these days.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

hostile apostle posted:

There is not a fixed piece of hardware that will remain the same with roughly the same capabilities for its entire lifespan.

This line of thinking really does a disservice to game developers. Compare a launch era console game to one near the end of the console and you'll see how developers have innovated and learned to use the hardware to it's fullest potential. The DF interview with the Doom developers even remarked how big the improvements between Doom 2016 and Doom Eternal are, despite being part of the same console generation.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Tons of system updates. Which aren't backbreaking feats of labor to download and install like Google wants people to think. The modern PS4 console has changed a ton since launch. Even if you're running a launch era system.

Also, that's an inherently stupid question.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

hostile apostle posted:

Cool, they launched a stagnant game streaming service in Jan 2014, a few months after launch

Glass houses, glass houses.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Thank you for making my point with better words.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The examples he gave all included consoles that had games.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The idea of not having to pay any money for hardware updates in ~THE CLOUD~ is also laughable. My Netflix bill is way higher today than it was a few years ago. Pretending that Stadia will even exist outside the graveyard window it has, those subscription rates will go up when they decide to upgrade servers.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Also hilarious that they think Nintendo making games for underpowered consoles is holding Nintendo back. That's been their entire schtick for maybe fifty years.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Please someone keep tabs on that guy's Stadia podcast/YouTube channel.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Here I am on my hour long train commute to work. Good thing I got my phone, stadia controller, USB cord, and clamp to play some Destiny 2.

Edit: My phone died after 5 minutes.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Stux posted:

you mean the chaos emeralds?

I chuckled.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

A handheld capable of four player split screen, no less.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

One underrated thing about the Stadiaposting is how much they poo poo on Youtubers. You know, the people utilizing a successful Google platform.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Zombo just got announced for Stadia. This is gonna be huge.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Game sharing with friends in your 20s and 30s is lending them the disc with the unspoken understanding that they might not play it or give it back to you again but whatever it'll be ten bucks in a year.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Lambert posted:

Going software-only would probably be a great decision for Nintendo,

Source your quotes.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Even Google admits that Stadia has no games.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

American McGay posted:

The initial, ugh I gotta press the power button was a bit of an epiphany...

Also lol at the guy casually bragging (??) about how he bought multiple Switches but apparently lost them somewhere in his own home.

Clearly a person who can't buy a new console every few years.

leftist heap posted:

You can tell your PS4 to download poo poo remotely from any device, leave it on and it will boot poo poo way faster than Stadia loads a game, and play it remotely from more devices than Stadia... plus Stadia is almost certainly never gonna get FF7

The demo went up as soon as I got to work that day. I set it to download and it was ready to play as soon as I got home that afternoon.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I love to hunch my back over while relaxing in my hammock.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I just realized this month marks a year since Google killed Inbox.

gently caress you, Google!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

https://twitter.com/eurogamer/status/1237703930102120448?s=19

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Google is doing Stadia fans a favor by discouraging them from playing The Division 2 during this time of quarantine.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Also the Xbox Sex won't require proprietary expansions after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

...! posted:

Remember the huge triumphant announcement about the Panzer Dragoon remake coming to Stadia?

Yeah... turns out it's a timed Switch exclusive. Yet another point for the Switch over Stadia.

I love making GBS threads on this dumb service as much as the next guy, but they announced Panzer Dragoon Remake a last year's Nintendo E3 show.