Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.
I actually bypassed m1nx by just finding the info on leaky piping, I didnt get into m1nx until after the credits

Edit: oh wait no it was in the freelands, by the debug tools

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

I'm spending far too much time thinking about the logistics of hypnospace, like teen me in the 90s would have imagined merchantsoft was huge, but the game goes out of its way to show there's like a half dozen paid employees and interns are being leaned on as much as they can, while being able to mass produce custom hardware. Imagining it's comparable to the start of sound blaster in the late 80s?

Would love to know the canon 'size' of hypnospace, how many people were active subscribers pre-2000, how big it actually was outside of the 'key players' that the player is tied to for narrative reasons

E: just realised I missed the credits, i closed outlaw after the messages repeated. When do they pop?

Chubby Henparty fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Mar 29, 2019

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Chubby Henparty posted:

Would love to know the canon 'size' of hypnospace, how many people were active subscribers pre-2000, how big it actually was outside of the 'key players' that the player is tied to for narrative reasons

IIRC wasn't there a newspaper clipping with the number of recalled products in the HAP? Should probably give an index, I could have been dreaming it up but I thought it was like 69,000

I absolutely loved how much Hypnospace just resembled those zany ideas in the mid 90s, that totally woulda been a real thing with the reckless regard for safety, if it was even vaguely possible. like i coulda totally seen this as a real product including even the warm-know-each-other bubble community all excited partaking together in the world

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
Yeah I was thinking they only shipped ~60-70k units and have maybe half as many subscribers - most subscribers are passive users due to their page building tools being janky and opaque. It's a pretty small operation but they have tons of money coming in because of dot com bubble investors. This is something I'm glad you appreciate because I wanted to push against the omnipotent all powerful corporation thing and go more for a grounded web 1.0 startup vibe. They still hurt people but they do it via unchecked whiz-kid ambition and administrative incompetence.

Chubby Henparty posted:

I'm spending far too much time thinking about the logistics of hypnospace, like teen me in the 90s would have imagined merchantsoft was huge, but the game goes out of its way to show there's like a half dozen paid employees and interns are being leaned on as much as they can, while being able to mass produce custom hardware. Imagining it's comparable to the start of sound blaster in the late 80s?

E: just realised I missed the credits, i closed outlaw after the messages repeated. When do they pop?

If you keep playing until all of the cars ascend it'll self-close and you'll get the credits. :)

Gaspy Conana fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Mar 29, 2019

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Chubby Henparty posted:

I had trouble with this. If you had the same problem I did, press spacebar to apprehend crooks with your lasso in the game. Just do it to Dylan

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Thanks 😀 gonna have to restart and check all the content I missed and custom pages

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I beat this last week, it's a fantastic game and I keep thinking about it. I had Granny Cream's Hot Butter Ice Cream in my head for a full weekend. Kind of surprised just how much stuff I missed on the HAP map.

At one point (I think in Day 2) I accidentally quit the game without logging-out, got a lecture when I signed back in, and some of the emails I had just gotten were missing, including the one telling me what I should be doing.

I had to sort of stumble around gavelling things until I started a new case, and then the plot continued from there.

I wonder what ever became of the Chowder Man.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

Seat Safety Switch posted:

At one point (I think in Day 2) I accidentally quit the game without logging-out, got a lecture when I signed back in, and some of the emails I had just gotten were missing, including the one telling me what I should be doing.

That makes sense, since day 2 starts without any cases, until you find some infractions.

Catboy Autonomist
Jun 23, 2018

IS IT SUPWISING THAT PWISONS WESEMBWE FACTOWIES, SCHOOWS, WHICH AWW WESEMBWE PWISONS?

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I had trouble with this. If you had the same problem I did, press spacebar to apprehend crooks with your lasso in the game. Just do it to Dylan

I ended up wrecking Dylan's car three seperate times because he wasn't fucken moving before finishing the sequence

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

I played through all of this game a week ago. It was something I was looking forward to for a long time and it did not disappoint.

Also I've met people like Gill and I hate him so much for it.

E: Has anyone uploaded the buffet song or MxMazzzz anywhere? They don't seem to be on the bandcamp page for the soundtrack.

Mikedawson fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Mar 31, 2019

Automatonic Water
Jul 8, 2012

dig thru the ditches
and burn thru the witches
and slam in the back of my.........
.........DRAGULA

Yams Fan
argh I ran into the Janitor bug and decided to start a new save file because I lost access to my virtual pets, which I needed, and now on my new save file, I can't install pets at all. Like I bought April/Lovesquid, ran the installer, the pets icon just doesn't show up on my desktop or in my apps list. I think I may be hosed

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Automatonic Water posted:

argh I ran into the Janitor bug and decided to start a new save file because I lost access to my virtual pets, which I needed, and now on my new save file, I can't install pets at all. Like I bought April/Lovesquid, ran the installer, the pets icon just doesn't show up on my desktop or in my apps list. I think I may be hosed

While it may possibly be hosed, I can't recall the sequence of events, however, there's a hack tool that can revive pets, amongst other things...

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Xaris posted:

While it may possibly be hosed, I can't recall the sequence of events, however, there's a hack tool that can revive pets, amongst other things...

The dark arts of Hypnopet necromancy

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
If we were to port this to Switch, how would y'all do the buttons? We have a few ideas but I'm curious if anyone has any ideas. Might try to do one of those fancy cursors that lightly snaps to stuff, not sure. Since you don't really type much (just 1-2 word strings infrequently) I don't think it'll be too bad if we end up being able to afford the porting.

Automatonic Water posted:

Agh sorry! We're about to push a fix for the janitor thing (and the HAP wiping) tonight. :(

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
I'm wondering something about the story.

Why did you have Tim mostly move on from the mindcrash? Learning what caused it was cool, but Tim's already out of jail, married, and has a kid. He doesn't seem to be broken up about what happened, even though he thinks that he accidentally killed the one person he was trying to reach out to with his prank. I feel like it woulda been way more satisfying if you could really bring peace to the guy by revealing what happened. Is it because there's kind of a fake out ending?

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
It's been 20 years so I figured that moving on would naturally be what one would do? I'm sure he spent a long time punishing himself for it. On his personal HAP page he is decently broken up about it. That said, there's more content (he'll send inbox messages in response to the player archiving a few of his pages) that we had to cut for time that gives more context on him, and it does serve to scratch that itch you mentioned a tiny bit. I'm going to add it back in probably around early May with a content update.

Automatonic Water
Jul 8, 2012

dig thru the ditches
and burn thru the witches
and slam in the back of my.........
.........DRAGULA

Yams Fan

Xaris posted:

Yeah that might be helpful, but not in this circumstance, as I can't even acquire a pet in the first place. I'll prob just reinstall a fresh version after the patch/hotfix and see if its alright then.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
also this song is an unironic banger

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAwVTXrPDW0

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Can't decide if I'm more fungus scene or coolpunk

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
So has anybody else here changed their Windows cursor to be Extra Large with mouse trails?

I mean I know you all spin your cursors around now every time a page loads slow outside the game.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
Life's a highway, and I'm the car.

I AM, THE CHOWDER MAN

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

pram posted:

also this song is an unironic banger

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAwVTXrPDW0

I uh, am I alone in thinking this is really direct suicidal ideation? Like to the point of squeamishness? I thought the joke was people not noticing.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Apr 1, 2019

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Discendo Vox posted:

I uh, am I alone in thinking

I can see how that could be a very blatant read to it, but I think in this case it's much more a "sometimes a cigar is just a cigar" level of tone-deafness.

The Chowder Man wears his heart on his sleeve but he does so very bluntly and without much metaphor when he's at his worst; see the later "Chowder Man, Please Come Back Home".

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Chowder Man just wants to make a jingle and get paid.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

I uh, am I alone in thinking this is really direct suicidal ideation? Like to the point of squeamishness? I thought the joke was people not noticing.

Did you not see the fifty page treatise on that song in the freelands? Come on man the symbolism is OBVIOUS

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Start up your own hypnospace page

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

Synthbuttrange posted:

Start up your own hypnospace page

https://twitter.com/electrochoc_/status/1112197622087979008

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Someone's hypnopage needs a completed review of all of Chowder mans songs.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Gaspy Conana posted:

It's been 20 years so I figured that moving on would naturally be what one would do? I'm sure he spent a long time punishing himself for it. On his personal HAP page he is decently broken up about it. That said, there's more content (he'll send inbox messages in response to the player archiving a few of his pages) that we had to cut for time that gives more context on him, and it does serve to scratch that itch you mentioned a tiny bit. I'm going to add it back in probably around early May with a content update.

The was Tim behaved seemed pretty reasonable to me, fwiw. Kind of a Kevin Mitnick-y life.

For the potential May content update, will the stuff be in the HAP, or should I plan to replay from the beginning for it to trigger? I wouldn't mind, just curious.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

Discendo Vox posted:

AFAIK it's just about how shaving makes The Chowder Man feel powerful. Your post was the first I'd ever heard of that interpretation.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

Bobulus posted:

The was Tim behaved seemed pretty reasonable to me, fwiw. Kind of a Kevin Mitnick-y life.

For the potential May content update, will the stuff be in the HAP, or should I plan to replay from the beginning for it to trigger? I wouldn't mind, just curious.

Some may need to be triggered but i'd say 90-95% of it will be in the HAP.

EDIT: Gah, sorry for the double post.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://threekingdomsmobilemode.totalwar.com/

This is very relevant today

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

If you want more hypnospace, check out this blog: http://oneterabyteofkilobyteage.tumblr.com/

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

Also sorry to doublepost, but the stack overflow april fools joke is also very hypnospace :allears: (random question chosen for demonstration) https://stackoverflow.com/questions/55459184/graph-or-relational-database-is-better-for-this-tree-structure

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Beekeeping and You posted:

If you want more hypnospace, check out this blog: http://oneterabyteofkilobyteage.tumblr.com/

I really want to download that whole Geocities torrent, but between my bandwidth cap and probably having to buy another external hard drive I guess I'll have to pass :(

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

Gaspy Conana posted:

I'm glad you enjoyed the Freelands. :)

And yeah you'd need to get into m1nx to solve the game's final two story puzzles and get to the end & credits - tho there's a way to get to the end without solving them because I'm dumb and left a searchable tag in.

I'm pretty sure I never got in there and just had eye and LP.

Did appreciate how mature the storytelling was, everything remained realistic and believable. However I find it hard to believe that more wouldn't have come out considering how massive a media circus you would have about Y2K deaths from consumer hardware. The feds really wouldn't have found anything to pin on Dylan? Even what you do get is a clinical trial that says people get bad sleep and some chat logs, these are a smoking gun?

Carecat fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Apr 1, 2019

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Carecat posted:

I'm pretty sure I never got in there and just had eye and LP.

yeah, same

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
ahh, you don't NEED to - but the most direct hints are there. it's definitely possible without m1nx but most folks probably need the direction so in my mind it's ~required~

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Was there a faster way to read through all the separate m1nx threads without clicking safe mode for each bit? Possibly I was doing it wrong but I'd suggest the ability to lock it on just for a small qol thing in a future patch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Chubby Henparty posted:

Was there a faster way to read through all the separate m1nx threads without clicking safe mode for each bit? Possibly I was doing it wrong but I'd suggest the ability to lock it on just for a small qol thing in a future patch.

eh, i feel like how much of a pain in the rear end it is actually works as characterization

these guys are stubborn (wonderful) assholes who wanna keep doing their own thing no matter what merchantsoft does to try and screw them over; even if it means having to reload every individual page on their forum in safe mode