Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which episode changed his mind?
S2E01
S2E02
S2E03
S2E04
S2E05
S2E06
S2E07
S2E08
S2E09
S2E10
S2EGoku
View Results

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
His skin toughness is inversely proportional to his petulance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Luthor’s most underrated power is the muscle suit they stuff him in when he’s wearing shirts looking terrible.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Don't know what I'd do with it but I want The Handler's subtle and understated spider & web choker.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
There's A LOOOOT of Cinderella that went into the character this season.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
vanya causes everything. its not her fault, but she makes 2 apocalypses happen and then fucks up the timeline again at the end because she made that boy special.

Dad is the real villain because of how he treated Vanya.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

ded posted:

vanya causes everything. its not her fault, but she makes 2 apocalypses happen and then fucks up the timeline again at the end because she made that boy special.

Dad is the real villain because of how he treated Vanya.

finale stinger spoilers I don't think that's it. They chatted with Dad. Dad thinks they're all a bunch of losers (except for 5, maybe). So when all the babies spawned, he decided to pick a different set. Since Ben was a ghost at the meeting, he never guessed that he's one of the original group he recruited.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

If Vanya (end of episode 9 spoilers) isn't the cause of the inevitable apocalypse in season 3 I'm gonna hate it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

double nine posted:

finale stinger spoilers I don't think that's it. They chatted with Dad. Dad thinks they're all a bunch of losers (except for 5, maybe). So when all the babies spawned, he decided to pick a different set. Since Ben was a ghost at the meeting, he never guessed that he's one of the original group he recruited.

The kid was floating a toy sparrow in the car at the end, and it’s the Sparrow Academy now, so he likely had something to do with it.

mastajake posted:

If Vanya (end of episode 9 spoilers) isn't the cause of the inevitable apocalypse in season 3 I'm gonna hate it.

I mean, Vanya’s powers are always the trigger but both times it was five that loaded the gun.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

mastajake posted:

its a supersonic "gently caress you dad" occurring immediately after the stinger, so an even more exasperated 5 opens another time portal Endgame the prior season

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

How is the Handler still alive? she is almost put into the incinerator, but is found to be alive...shouldn't she have been caught up in the world ending round 1? The world ended seconds after she is killed in s1.

Even if she apparently lived through the gun shot, the earth ending would have got her.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

LifeLynx posted:

The MCU's Hulk made the strongman superhero power hard to portray in TV/movies, because anything as strong/stronger isn't realistic and anything weaker is disappointing. They should have given him another power besides super strength and super pseudo-incest.

He has a jetpack in the comics

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Also the gorilla body is much more extreme.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

badjohny posted:

How is the Handler still alive? she is almost put into the incinerator, but is found to be alive...shouldn't she have been caught up in the world ending round 1? The world ended seconds after she is killed in s1.

Even if she apparently lived through the gun shot, the earth ending would have got her.

She works for a smoking fish.

Don't apply logic. It's pulp -- soap opera with laser guns.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i liked s2 a lot, though the last episode was kinda stupid

also buncha dudes in this show have a real serious case of stormtrooper aim. usually doesn't bother me but it's basically every scene where someone fires a gun and it's incredibly egregious

i feel like i would've liked the swedes a lot more if we got a bit more time with them, but we didn't so they're just "somewhat-memorably uncomfortable to watch" which is a shame since they're following up on hazel and chacha's act

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

badjohny posted:

1) The Earth didn't end because the Umbrella Academy "took the apocalypse with them." Of course, that 2019 still exists means that they also fail to destroy the world in 1963, too, but whatever.
2) She survives because she has a plate in her head. So she just gets concussed by the impact, instead of having her brains Jackson Pollocked on everything behind her.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

That stupid scene with fart jokes, complete with stock sounds, almost ruined the entire thing for me.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

Open Source Idiom posted:

She works for a smoking fish.

Don't apply logic. It's pulp -- soap opera with laser guns.

oh ya...I am not too worried about the logic. I was just wondering if I had missed something. I watched it all in one sitting and might have zoned out a little at parts. Going for my second viewing now.

Serpente
Dec 3, 2017

Vanya's curse: same as the first. A little bit louder but in no way worse.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

God drat is (spoilers all) Reginald Hargreeves such a piece of poo poo. Just the absolute worst.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
He's like the worst dad on TV I can think of atm

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Strom Cuzewon posted:

God drat is (spoilers all) Reginald Hargreeves such a piece of poo poo. Just the absolute worst.

I like how he’s hosed up in the same way Five is without the time travel. That flashback in the first season showed he almost certainly fled the destruction of his own planet and I think his singleminded obsession with stopping the apocalypse is a result of that extreme trauma. There’s a ton of other similarities, they were both the last of their kind, are significantly older than they look, and usually the only one planning ahead. I’m pretty sure Hargreeves recognized that in the dinner scene and it’s why he met with Five for a drink after.

I also really appreciate that the show didn’t club you over the head with that stuff, I didn’t really put it all together until I read your post and a bunch of stuff clicked.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Which episode is it that we see Hargreeves without his mask on?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I like how he’s hosed up in the same way Five is without the time travel. That flashback in the first season showed he almost certainly fled the destruction of his own planet and I think his singleminded obsession with stopping the apocalypse is a result of that extreme trauma. There’s a ton of other similarities, they were both the last of their kind, are significantly older than they look, and usually the only one planning ahead. I’m pretty sure Hargreeves recognized that in the dinner scene and it’s why he met with Five for a drink after.

I also really appreciate that the show didn’t club you over the head with that stuff, I didn’t really put it all together until I read your post and a bunch of stuff clicked.

Huh. Guess I totally missed that flashback in season 1.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

THE BAR posted:

Huh. Guess I totally missed that flashback in season 1.

I’m pretty sure it was in season one. It’s the part with the dying wife with a bunch of rockets launching that cuts to him in 20sish New York and starting the umbrella factory

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

SalTheBard posted:

Which episode is it that we see Hargreeves without his mask on?

The last or the one before it. It is just a tease though.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I just uhhhhh..

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-...h-a9653121.html

quote:

The Umbrella Academy has come under fire from viewers after season two was accused of continuing to use “antisemitic stereotypes” in its new season.

Netflix‘s hit series returned on Friday (31 July), and has been criticised by many viewers for including a corrupt organisation whose evil boss, known as The Handler, is shown speaking Yiddish, the language almost exclusively spoken by Ashkenazi Jews.

The same character – played by Kate Walsh – also appeared in the first season, which prompted The Board of Deputies of British Jews to write an open letter against the series.

“The use of a Yiddish saying by the evil boss of an organisation which controls the world’s timeline is clearly an anti-Semitic trope,” Amanda Bowman, Vice President of the board, wrote.

Ah yes, that classic trope!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

swickles posted:

I just uhhhhh..

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-...h-a9653121.html

Ah yes, that classic trope!

quote:

the language almost exclusively spoken by Ashkenazi Jews.

Brb going back in time to never say anyone was a schmuck or something was fakakta.

I dunno, I grew up around a lot of Jewish people and use Yiddish slang still and fairly often.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Finished the show up earlier. I liked it more than season 1, which didn't do much for me to be honest but was decent enough for me to check out season 2. Real MVP of the season was Ben and it was nice to see him actually do something that advances the plot and character development than just help murder a bunch of mooks at the end. Not much else to say, really. The end of the season made me actually look forward to more of this stuff than the first season did.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Up through Episode 9, and I'm sick of the Commission's poo poo. The timeline is mega hosed up and they're just like "Oh, we'll put a couple guys on it." There's like hundreds of people and they don't give the slightest gently caress about the apocalypse so I don't know what they're doing. I guess they're going for an MiB thing where the agency is so cool it's got so much going on, but they rule out multiple timelines, so this is it! You've got one job and you're all ignoring it!

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
When your domain is time travel, you can basically ignore poo poo forever. It's not like you are going to run out of time to deal with it.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Mulva posted:

When your domain is time travel, you can basically ignore poo poo forever. It's not like you are going to run out of time to deal with it.

I suppose so. They sure are doing a lot of paperwork for people putting everything off. Maybe a very elaborate office fantasy baseball league.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I only watched the first episode but it was driving me nuts that the swede played by a guy i know was holding his PPsh wrong. you never hold an SMG by the magazine

But drat I am into this season already.

Woden
May 6, 2006
Came in with low expectations and was pleasantly surprised by how much better the characters are this season. They're all still idiots but it's more endearing this time around instead of obnoxious, well with the exception of Diego, gently caress that guy.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

PostNouveau posted:

I suppose so. They sure are doing a lot of paperwork for people putting everything off. Maybe a very elaborate office fantasy baseball league.

I mean, did you watch the orientation video? It's all coffee and moderately priced donuts. :shrug:

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona
I really enjoyed the first season, and man season 2 fixed up a lot of the issues I walked away with and improved on the formula considerably. There's still melodrama, and the characters are incredibly dumb, but I agree that it leans way more into endearing or actively uses it as characterization than the frustrating bullshit that happened in season 1. Pretty sure they realized that they needed to address that with the fakeout at the end of the season as Vanya starts to leave before Klaus and the rest of them join her.. There were still sad and hosed up moments, but very little of it felt MEAN like it did in the first season.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Finale was fun. Good setup for next season too.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

Finale was fun. Good setup for next season too.
Yes, the show is a lot more fun when they are together, and I am very excited to see how the alternate Umbrella Academy grew up without Reginald's influence

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Came to say what others have already said (no spoilers): the actor playing 5 is a delight and I hope he keeps getting work, good kid actors are so rare. Obviously he's not some master of the craft but he's definitely a cut above

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Came to say what others have already said (no spoilers): the actor playing 5 is a delight and I hope he keeps getting work, good kid actors are so rare. Obviously he's not some master of the craft but he's definitely a cut above

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

A point so valid it was worth that double post tbh