Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which episode changed his mind?
S2E01
S2E02
S2E03
S2E04
S2E05
S2E06
S2E07
S2E08
S2E09
S2E10
S2EGoku
View Results

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I for one liked the show.
I felt the characters were a good portrayal of what kind of adults would come from that kind of upbringing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Is umbrella academy or doom patrol better goons?

Doom patrol is episode 5 out of 15 and somewhat episodic while umbrella academy was released all at once and while each episode feels more like it's own story than stranger things episodes its still a "the whole season is a movie" kind of thing

Doom patrol is also somewhat lower budgeted and more comic book like. And while ua is on a service you probably have, doom patrol you're going to have to pay 8 a month for DC's service.

But I really like doom patrol so far. I like its drama better. But I don't think I could speak for anyone else.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Labes for days posted:

I never read Preacher the comic and don’t intend to, but that show is amazing and the characters are pretty much all interesting and/or funny.

I turned this one off halfway into the second episode because the dialog was terribly written and also why the gently caress did they include a talking chimp.

The comic was sillier and weirder and they grounded a lot of things but the chimp turns out to be a good character and there's a reason that he is a chimp

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
What is something someone did that, to you, made no sense.

I've made fun of Prometheus as much as the next guy but I don't expect characters to be robots either.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Yeah Hazel is the weakest part. They try to make us sympathize with a murderer and a torturer and make us believe he has repented.
I think most of what the main cast does is still justifiable and very interesting.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Sounds like captain marvel is more for you then

This is not a superhero show. It's about drama with damaged people and they just have super powers. None of the characters have it great.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Avalerion posted:

Last ep: Did Vanya intend to bring down the moon or did she loose control by accident/due to being startled?

lost control

nooneofconsequence posted:

Old man kills himself so team can re-form to stop end of the world. But old man's death is what triggered the events that began the apocalypse. Great plan, old man?

I think everything that happens to the seven kids is extremely understandable and sympathetic. Even Vanya. Especially Vanya. I see a little bit of my own anxiety in many scenes with her. She's not TV-show crazy, she's traumatized, socially isolated, and not thinking straight because Leonard intentionally got her off of her medication.
Reginald is an inhumanly lovely science dad whose every decision is terrible, but sometimes parents are loving poo poo. Homeschoolers are a thing in real life too, so are orphanages. Sometimes parents inflict a bunch of terrible and nonsensical decisions on their kids instead of a childhood or preparation for the outside world.
That also means, though, Reginald is a weak point of the show. Which is fine. He's not in it for the most part. Except I'm kind of worried about that particular twist and season 2 because Reginald knowing about the apocalypse is going to mean there's a closed time loop and I don't see how that will work without being horribly lovely. I really, really wish season 1 just ended with stopping Vanya..

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
most people who watch the tv show like a tv show and not like you're looking for YA novel writers to harass on twitter actually find Vanya to be an extremely sympathetic portrayal of mental issues, and it's important to have those when you have poo poo like mainstream horror or Harley Quinn

feel very tired just looking at the rest of it so whatever.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Well, DC universe doom patrol had ended
Anyone who watched both doom patrol and umbrella academy want to say which show good or show bad? They are kind of comparable

I still don't get the hate for umbrella academy. It's a drama, some people are going to have a poo poo deal.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Captain Marvel is a straightforward heroic fantasy where chosen hero gets powers and kills all the bad guys. It's the latest Marvel Movie and had the most straightforward endings.
Umbrella Academy what I liked is everyone is hosed up, no ones really a hero or a villain, and they're their own worst enemies. The tragedy and drama comes from how there's nothing stopping them from working together beyond their hangups, which are understandable from their past. It's interesting to me. But I feel like maybe people are missing that, like picking specific characters to protagonists and antagonists.
Maybe there's something out there that does that better that everyone else has watched and I have not, but IDK.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
I think I'm a little sensitive about it because I was homeschooled and this portrays some of the poo poo that comes from that pretty well.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Trevor Hale posted:

This is like that Rick and Morty copypasta, right?

There is 100% a difference between a show or film hiding crucial pieces of information from characters organically and those that do it for contrivance of plot. Umbrella Academy is the latter. Netflix as a whole is the latter.

agree to disagree. I was fine with it because I felt like it was expressed that the characters don't share info because they do not trust each other/can't stand each other/blame each other for the poo poo they went through under Reginald. Maybe others see that as a contrivance.

Bust Rodd posted:

Seriously! I am constantly crowing at my TV “it’s 2019, just text them “you’re in danger!” or something.

there are no cellphones or even the internet in the UA 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Hopefully they'll move past the exposition monkey appearing at least once an episode to tell us how their adoptive father was a very complex man.

Because, drat, that got old fast.

But, apart from that, I'm also looking forward to this show coming back. Interesting and distinct characters - which puts it apart from 99% of other 'super' shows.

Remember they went back in time. Would be funny if he came out to do one of those reveals and they were all like "Yeah, we already know, gently caress him anyway"