Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which episode changed his mind?
S2E01
S2E02
S2E03
S2E04
S2E05
S2E06
S2E07
S2E08
S2E09
S2E10
S2EGoku
View Results

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Very pumped right now.

I was ambivalent to the first season, mainly because it all felt like setup. But now we're getting to the meat of things.

Also the kid who plays Number 5 deserves some sort of award.

In S2E8 he has scenes with the old man version of five and they did a great job of matching mannerisms and ways of speaking, it was perfect.

E:Oh god, E9 He’s even better when he’s losing his poo poo completely. This kid is fantastic.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Aug 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Just finished season 2. Massive improvement over the first season- and I really liked the first season. I’m both very much looking to season 3 and dreading the cancellation after S3 since that’s what Netflix does to all their shows.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

SalTheBard posted:

Season 2 was great, right now of humor, seriousness nand action. I loved (S2E9 spoiler) everything with Old 5 and Young 5. loving both of them deserve an award for their scenes together!

S3 going to be good! For those that have read the comics... Does the show do an accurate job of portraying the comics or are they pretty different?

They’re super different in a lot of ways, the show is a kind of broad strokes adaptation. Especially S2. I don’t think they could do a straight adaptation and have it work at all, so it was the right call IMO.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

mastajake posted:

Oh man, I loved the bit from episode....8?....(Oga for Oga) where Luther and Diego think it was a woman named Olga Foroga who killed their friend and then wrote her name for them to see, and so they wound up calling her and threatening her.

That part was fantastic. I was briefly annoyed that they were going to have some plot where they go and stalk the wrong person for a second, then 5 shows up and is like “it’s Swedish, you dipshits!”

Any time 5 gets to dunk on his siblings, it’s a delight.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Had Diego ever (final ep spoilers) redirected someone else’s projectiles before he did it with the Commission bullets to shield five?

I really did appreciate how much more power the family had in this season now that they have more control and understanding of their abilities. I would have love to have Klaus summon some ghost cowboys to shoot it out with the commission in that battle in the field though.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

LifeLynx posted:

The MCU's Hulk made the strongman superhero power hard to portray in TV/movies, because anything as strong/stronger isn't realistic and anything weaker is disappointing. They should have given him another power besides super strength and super pseudo-incest.

He also has super brooding about his dad sending him to the moon.

But yeah, his powers don’t really do anything interesting compared to the others. It’s not like how powers define a lot of Klaus or Allison’s character arcs, it’s less interesting to watch than Five blinking around and teleport fighting stuff, and there’s no risk of unpredictable collateral damage like Vanya’s. He just punches things. Even Diego at least has a kind of flashy fighting style most of the time.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

double nine posted:

finale stinger spoilers I don't think that's it. They chatted with Dad. Dad thinks they're all a bunch of losers (except for 5, maybe). So when all the babies spawned, he decided to pick a different set. Since Ben was a ghost at the meeting, he never guessed that he's one of the original group he recruited.

The kid was floating a toy sparrow in the car at the end, and it’s the Sparrow Academy now, so he likely had something to do with it.

mastajake posted:

If Vanya (end of episode 9 spoilers) isn't the cause of the inevitable apocalypse in season 3 I'm gonna hate it.

I mean, Vanya’s powers are always the trigger but both times it was five that loaded the gun.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Strom Cuzewon posted:

God drat is (spoilers all) Reginald Hargreeves such a piece of poo poo. Just the absolute worst.

I like how he’s hosed up in the same way Five is without the time travel. That flashback in the first season showed he almost certainly fled the destruction of his own planet and I think his singleminded obsession with stopping the apocalypse is a result of that extreme trauma. There’s a ton of other similarities, they were both the last of their kind, are significantly older than they look, and usually the only one planning ahead. I’m pretty sure Hargreeves recognized that in the dinner scene and it’s why he met with Five for a drink after.

I also really appreciate that the show didn’t club you over the head with that stuff, I didn’t really put it all together until I read your post and a bunch of stuff clicked.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

THE BAR posted:

Huh. Guess I totally missed that flashback in season 1.

I’m pretty sure it was in season one. It’s the part with the dying wife with a bunch of rockets launching that cuts to him in 20sish New York and starting the umbrella factory

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

swickles posted:

I just uhhhhh..

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-...h-a9653121.html

Ah yes, that classic trope!

quote:

the language almost exclusively spoken by Ashkenazi Jews.

Brb going back in time to never say anyone was a schmuck or something was fakakta.

I dunno, I grew up around a lot of Jewish people and use Yiddish slang still and fairly often.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Speaking of excellent music, I appreciated the fact the soundtrack would switch to violin-heavy classical music every time Vanya’s powers were used even when she wasn’t the one using them. For a show that loves it’s on-the-nose soundtrack choices that felt more restrained in a pretty cool way and definitely helped with the tension it was going for whenever those powers actually did come out.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I actually liked keeping the characters split up at the beginning. Diego needed some solo stuff because he was pretty underdeveloped in S1, and then him and five was pretty fun because Diego is a fuckup and five has zero patience. Allison’s civil rights storyline was really good in my opinion and it let them go into her relationship with her powers in a way that worked better than “I lost custody of my daughter and I’m sad now”, and it was good for the whole her and Luther arc. And I don’t know how Vanya’s storyline could have worked without keeping her separated from everyone for a while, and that was a plot line that really used the 60’s setting well.

Cult leader Klaus, while a fun concept, is something where they definitely should have jammed him back with Diego and Five at a minimum way sooner, Klaus and Ben is something that was already leaned on pretty heavily in S1 for obvious reasons, so “Ben is sick of Klaus’s poo poo” isn’t really something new or interesting.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

babypolis posted:

That was Vanyas theme, the same song she played when she destroys the world in S1. Good stuff for sure

I figured it was something like that. For something that usually goes for recognizable tracks I thought that was a great choice and made things waaaay tenser than they would have been.

Unrelated, I loved the Consulate fight with the Swedes where it used the windows to go in and out of view as the fight went down the hall. It was really well executed and had a great sense of continuity, considering one of the participants could teleport.

Edit: also I would totally watch a show that’s all Five blinking into random historical events. Make that happen, Netflix.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Sloth Life posted:

Also Ellen Page is tiny. Coming out of the cornfield being towered over by the pubescent? Crazy tiny

Pretty sure she’s the shortest member of the cast besides the literal teenager who plays five; and I think that’s some great casting. In both seasons she’s pushed around a shitload and being physically smaller than everyone around her in all the frames works well with that. There’s times she’s above everyone, but it is always when her power is unleashed.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

KittyEmpress posted:

I know everyone's powers are super inconsistent but how does Luther go from tanking a missile shot directly in the back and barely flinching in episode one, to being taken down by an smg without being able to react.

Also why does a man who can tank a rpg even react when another human man punches him?

Why does being kicked in the dick by a literal 15 year old make him unable to move for a long period of time.

Why does Luther even exist.

They had two days of world war three before that scene, that’s a lot of level grinding. :v:

I’m really annoyed that Klaus didn’t get to ghost army it up in the finale, though, that was awesome and relegating it to the first episode was a bummer.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

twistedmentat posted:

You do briefly see him being caught by a pair of ghosts at the farm.

Yeah, but that was smaller scale than even the “bem’s ghost wrecks some dudes” thing from the S1 finale. It was pretty underwhelming compared to what everyone else got.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Milo and POTUS posted:

You see an Older five? I haven't finished the second season and I remember very little from the first. For some reason all I can hear is Tiffany playing at all hours

Yeah, through the portal that five jumps through in the first episode.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I’m both psyched for more and dissapointed by it’s inevitable cancellation after this season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Mulva posted:

Except of course Ben is number one in the new timeline. The numbers are pure usefulness to Hargreeves, nothing more or less. And Spaceboy gets a lot more to do in the comic, where insane comic poo poo is much more prevalent.

Yeah, in both the comics and the show Luther is number one because his over-the-top loyalty makes him the most useful to Hargreaves.