Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which episode changed his mind?
S2E01
S2E02
S2E03
S2E04
S2E05
S2E06
S2E07
S2E08
S2E09
S2E10
S2EGoku
View Results

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Umbrella Chronicles was good, surprised y'all are so down on it. Biggest problem was it took a long time to establish the characters, I'm expecting season 2 to be better paced.

Chokes McGee posted:

Plot summary: abused depressed girl stops taking meds, causes world to end

Good look

The show at least makes it real obvious there are several points where everything could have been solved by the family just being nicer to Vanya

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I especially liked "the day that wasn't", seeing how people could resolve certain conflicts if events went down just so, but then going back and altering the timeline so a single variable gets changed by 5 causes all of those scenes to be lost.

Like you said, there's nothing stopping them except their hangups, which are entirely believable given the backstory we know for each of them.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

babypolis posted:

they just looked like random rear end ppl with guns to me. main problem was the show seemed like it could not decide if it was goofy or super serious and as such the tone was all over the place. but the boring rear end villains was the last straw for me

Did you finish the season? They're not really the villains. That's also an extremely reductive way at looking at characters and story.

The "villain" was the family not being able to get along. They hosed that up and now are going back in time to fix it. Its got good themes. Real good themes.

The tone I thought was pretty consistent; yes you have some funny stuff as comedic relief to break up the tension. That's good?

Its not high art but I thought it was well done compared to most poo poo on TV. My only issue was the pacing, it took a few episodes before we knew enough about the characters to really have fun with them. Looking forward to S2 as a result.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Tiggum posted:

Every American show, whether on conventional television or streaming, is too long. They always have to drag the story out or burn through episodes too quickly. This is not a new phenomenon, it has always been the case. People are only now starting to realise it.

I heard a breakdown years ago that said Western stories tend to focus on characters and so want to follow them for their whole life or until "happily ever after", while Eastern stories tend to be more based on events and so are more naturally prone to end as soon as the plot is finished.