Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Hey it's another one of these!

Legend of Grimrock 1 was a pretty successful game that came out back in 2012. It updated the old Might and Magic dungeon crawling style game to something more modern with real-time combat but the same old classic puzzle solving and exploration focus. I did an LP of that that you can find on the LP archive and I even did an incomplete run of this game years ago. This time however we're going to see it all the way through and I'll be using a different party comp than we used before just so we're not retreading too much of the same ground.

The biggest difference in the sequel from the original is the non-linear dungeon design. The previous game involved diving down one floor at a time in a 15 floor dungeon and the floors generally didn't interact with one another. Grimrock 2 takes place on an island, once you get past the introductory section of the game you're free to head in any direction and tackle the challenges there. I think there's still an intended dungeon order and you might get stonewalled by some tough enemies if you don't tackle some dungeons before others, but still.

It's going to be Mozic and me on commentary again and I'll be aiming for weekly updates initially, should be alot of fun.

The Updates

Episode 1
Episode 2
Episode 3
Episode 4
Episode 5

April Fool's Joke

Agent355 fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Apr 15, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Sweet, it'll be good to see how this plays with different characters. I love the puzzles going on in Grimrock but am certain I'd never get far myself...

Azure Dreamer
Oct 14, 2012

wearing sunglasses makes me a cool kid
they designed how guns work and scale wrong as a joke.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
Grimrock 1 was a pretty good game, but Grimrock 2 is seriously up there as one of the greatest games of all time, and it's definitely #1 on my "best games nobody has ever heard of" list. I've been meaning to replay this for awhile but never got around to it. Now I can just watch you instead. :buddy:

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Look, Hjonk didn't get the Horn of Summoning because he can toot his own.

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte
Hell yeah, I love this game and I'm really -really- bad at it

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Now, Red! Seal the deal with a catchy one-liner!
I noticed there were a lot of crabs scuttling around along the shore at the start; can you not pick those up for food?

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless

ousire posted:

I noticed there were a lot of crabs scuttling around along the shore at the start; can you not pick those up for food?

Not until you get the proper crab-eating cutlery. You're castaways, not barbarians.

What annoyed and continues to annoy me about this game is that firearms are such garbage. They are simply unusable as a primary weapon.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

The funny part is you'd assume that firearms would be some sorta like, limited ammunition super weapon? Like you only get 10 bullets but man they're so good that you just save them for the right fight?

But nah, even with unlmiited ammo most guns would be worthless.

Azure Dreamer
Oct 14, 2012

wearing sunglasses makes me a cool kid

Agent355 posted:

The funny part is you'd assume that firearms would be some sorta like, limited ammunition super weapon? Like you only get 10 bullets but man they're so good that you just save them for the right fight?

But nah, even with unlmiited ammo most guns would be worthless.

if i remember the first LP correctly, they miss most of the time, jam the rest of the time, and even when they hit they do trash damage. if you max out the skill you at least remove the jam chance but they still manage to be mostly garbage.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
So with the high level alchemy, can you still equip weapons while transformed?

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Both your hands are replaced with bear paws which you right click to attack with. I think they're classified as a light weapon? But I'm not really sure.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Cassa posted:

So with the high level alchemy, can you still equip weapons while transformed?
Well, it does give you the right to bear arms. :haw:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Agent355 posted:

Both your hands are replaced with bear paws which you right click to attack with. I think they're classified as a light weapon? But I'm not really sure.
Natural weapons

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

I've never played this game but I am appalled by your reckless container-discarding ways in a game with limited inventory slots. :colbert:

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Jade Rider posted:

container-discarding
:gonk: Jesus gently caress, put a trigger warning on that or something.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

I am mad that the lizard isn't Fleetfoot Mac. Scoots was vastly inferior, why would you pick that name, Agent?

ZeButler fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Mar 23, 2019

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Please throw some ammo at an enemy at somepoint. As this is the expected use for ammunition in this game

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

ZeusCannon posted:

Please throw some ammo at an enemy at somepoint. As this is the expected use for ammunition in this game

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Episode 2

Here we go, right on time.

There is a video error that happened because my video file got wiped by a power outage but the only real problem is the commentary won't come in for 15 seconds or so. No worries, the rest should be fine.

The audio balance should be better this episode as well, I forgot how fukkin loud LoG2 is, this might be too far in the other direction because aside from the title music I hardly hear any of the tracks so I might dial it back some but we're getting closer.

Enjoy.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Keep the stick, you know you want to

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Volume sounds good on my end fwiw.

Was it this game that let you take a character that only levelled from eating?

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Hearing Mozic refer to Scoots' fate as "constantly getting his salad tossed" loving killed me, and I have no idea why. Also, gently caress Mozic's Khemri (says the guy that plays Kislev).

Hearing Mozic's fear about the water magic is great, though.

EDIT: I love that Colby Jay pun, and hate it at the same time.

ZeButler fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Mar 26, 2019

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Cassa posted:

Volume sounds good on my end fwiw.

Was it this game that let you take a character that only levelled from eating?

There is, the farmer class we could've picked is leveled exclusively through eating food.

It's actually an interesting balance change because it means you can dump a limited resource into the dude and get an early exp advantage. I used a farmer in the first LP for this game and I think he was level 5 or 6 by this point in the video and was by far my best dude.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
RIP Smashmouth, never made it to the end.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'll be honest, I wish you just finished up the previous LP instead of starting over, especially since we were literally 1-2 updates from the end. But I'm along for the ride.

R.I.P Smashmouth.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Chuu posted:

I'll be honest, I wish you just finished up the previous LP instead of starting over, especially since we were literally 1-2 updates from the end. But I'm along for the ride.

R.I.P Smashmouth.

Well Olesh and I don't really get along anymore and I don't have the old savefiles and the whole quality of the last LP is pretty questionable to boot, so here we are.

Few problems working against me, I don't entirely disagree with you but this is easier.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I'm just excited for more Agent funtime, and I like watching good Grimrock LPs, so I'm happy.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So in the last LP we had a farmer and a firearms expert. We've already established that firearms are trash and the farmer is subpar for most (all?) of the journey. Does that mean this run is going to be significantly easier than the last one?

Chuu fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Mar 27, 2019

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Chuu posted:

So in the last LP we had a farmer and a firearms expert. We've already established that firearms are trash and the farmer is subpar for most (all?) of the journey. Does that mean this run is going to be significantly easier than the last one?

Nah farmer's own, they will be a higher level than the rest of your team for most of the journey, so whil ethey don't have innate ability bonuses they get more skill points and it balances out.

Our firearms guy also was a potions expert which is pretty useful so he wasn't completely wasted either.

Difficult should be more or less comparable.

Agent355 fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Mar 27, 2019

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Hahahahah that was an amazing sequence. I think we have confirmed that attempting to use ammo in any way offensively in this game will be punished by the game.

Thank you for this contribution to science.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Agent355 posted:

Nah farmer's own, they will be a higher level than the rest of your team for most of the journey, so whil ethey don't have innate ability bonuses they get more skill points and it balances out.

Our firearms guy also was a potions expert which is pretty useful so he wasn't completely wasted either.

Difficult should be more or less comparable.

So have you figured out who/when you're getting Alchemy?

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!
I'll state for record I totally got your LP trash talk references :colbert:

(I enjoyed them)

Covski fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Mar 28, 2019

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I think I might have hjonk do it? After he picks up heavy armor he doesn't have too much to do since I don't need him to really contribute much to damage as I primarily just want him as somebody who doesn't suck down health potions. He could probably spare the single point it would take to pick up health/mana potion crafting

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Episode 3

Happy Monday

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

I actually cried with laughter during your tirade, Agent :golfclap:

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
I was playing Diablo 2 at the time, so it was almost appropriate.

Epochol
Mar 19, 2009

Another top-quality video from Agent :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Gonna hang this on my wall. Anybody on SA wanna claim responsibility for it?

:ocelot: