Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Thelonious
Jul 15, 2005

Like many gunbroker transactions, this one began with browsing while drunk. I've always liked the Hi Power and decided to roll the dice on this auction.
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/799041437

I think the pitting scared people away, Hi Powers with any sort of custom work seem to go for a heavy premium. The slide to frame fit is unlike any Hi Power I've ever seen, on par with some of the nicer 1911s I've handled. I've got a surplus FN that rattles like a tambourine, but even my other "nice" commercial Browning is loosey goosey compared to this gun. The action is crazy nice. The trigger has no take up and breaks crisp like a good 1911. The trigger and hammer both seem to be Cylinder and Slide, but I haven't been able to place the safety. The whole pistol has been smoothed out/dehorned. Barrel looks recrowned. Heinie sights with a long dead front tritium and blacked out rear. Spegel grips.

I ran a few hundred rounds through it and it's my new favorite pistol. Beyond the pitting, this gun is just really really nice. Almost too nice for it to have been done by any old bubba. Custom Hi Power work seems to be pretty niche, anybody have any idea who might have done it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Also sexism, religious bias, jingoism, and so on. Don't do it, people!

Dogs, don't do it either, even if the police man really tries to train you to do it.

Goddamn that looks like a sweet gun. Has the mag safety been removed?

Thelonious
Jul 15, 2005

The magazine disconnect has been removed. In fact the new trigger lacks the provisions for keeping the mag safety.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Man those pits are barely even there, looks real good.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

Thatís a great find. I have a C&S trigger and hammer on my commercial Browning. It was one of the first guns I ever bought, and Iíve always wanted to send it somewhere for a full custom package. The difference from the stock trigger with just the C&S trigger/springs swap and the new hammer assembly is pretty amazing.

Not a lot of places do the work, C&S is the main one from what I could gather. Austin Behlert used to do some Hi Power packages, including the original of the CCO length cut-off HPís. C&S offered one as a custom build option for a while, but I donít think they still do. One of the Behlertís shortyís is my white whale. Novak used to machine the slides for their sights and used to offer a tuning package for them, but the last time I checked their site they didnít offer it anymore.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

I still can't believe the deal you got on that thing, I'm super jealous. A worked on BHP has been one of those back burner things that I always put off because you can't ever find them used and/or cheap, yet you managed to do both.

I'd just start emailing the few BHP smiths left out there with some pictures and asking nicely "do you know who did the work on this?" with a little description of the work done. It's a pretty small community.

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

Apart from Cylinder & Slide, Jim Garthwaite and Novak are the big names for Hi-Power work, so you might check there. Novak tends to put -surprise- Novak sights on BHPs as well as a (in my opinion) gaudy rollmark on the slide, so it probably wasn't them. Garthwaite does use that style of rear sight, so it might be his work. If so, it might be an older example since he's offered his own style of hammer and trigger on his packages for a while now.

Thelonious
Jul 15, 2005

The Spegel grips are dated 98. The front night sight is dated 01 so I'd assume the work was done then or shortly after. I might have to drop Mr. Garthwaite a line.

Also waiting to hear back from Trijicon what the "nominal fee" is to have the lamp replaced on the front sight.

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

Thelonious posted:

Also waiting to hear back from Trijicon what the "nominal fee" is to have the lamp replaced on the front sight.

I thought it was $18 per lamp.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

That's gorgeous! Do you know what year the gun itself was made?

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

flightless greeb posted:

That's gorgeous! Do you know what year the gun itself was made?

Looking at the serial in the auction, 99, if you'd believe it.

Edit: oops 93

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Thelonious posted:

Like many gunbroker transactions, this one began with browsing while drunk. I've always liked the Hi Power and decided to roll the dice on this auction.
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/799041437

I think the pitting scared people away, Hi Powers with any sort of custom work seem to go for a heavy premium. The slide to frame fit is unlike any Hi Power I've ever seen, on par with some of the nicer 1911s I've handled. I've got a surplus FN that rattles like a tambourine, but even my other "nice" commercial Browning is loosey goosey compared to this gun. The action is crazy nice. The trigger has no take up and breaks crisp like a good 1911. The trigger and hammer both seem to be Cylinder and Slide, but I haven't been able to place the safety. The whole pistol has been smoothed out/dehorned. Barrel looks recrowned. Heinie sights with a long dead front tritium and blacked out rear. Spegel grips.

I ran a few hundred rounds through it and it's my new favorite pistol. Beyond the pitting, this gun is just really really nice. Almost too nice for it to have been done by any old bubba. Custom Hi Power work seems to be pretty niche, anybody have any idea who might have done it?

That looks a shitload like heirloom precision or Novak Customs. Cylinder and Slide is also very possible .Either way, really nice loving job my friend.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Gosh that is like the only BHP I'd want too, besides maybe an old Inglis. But I'd have to find one cheap, worked on AND C&R so lol good luck right

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

flightless greeb posted:

Gosh that is like the only BHP I'd want too, besides maybe an old Inglis. But I'd have to find one cheap, worked on AND C&R so lol good luck right

I mean, I'd take an Inglis just because I technically don't have the "canada" box checked off on my WW2 belligerents checklist, but this guy would just fit better:

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Also sexism, religious bias, jingoism, and so on. Don't do it, people!

Dogs, don't do it either, even if the police man really tries to train you to do it.

I know that the CZ-75 is derived from the BHP but goddamn when the grips are off the resemblance under them is uncanny.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

That pistol is poo poo hot and I'm mad jealous. This is probably the first HP I've wanted bad.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Cyrano4747 posted:

I mean, I'd take an Inglis just because I technically don't have the "canada" box checked off on my WW2 belligerents checklist, but this guy would just fit better:

Weren't the Nazi ones all sloppy and annoying to shoot?

Miso Beno
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty

Fun Shoe

My inglis and nazi hipower are both kinda terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

I guess you better just sell that Inglis to me then!!