Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

key & peele is the best sketch comedy show ever and i'm sad it's gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i was hoping that’d be the twist.

it is a bummer you can figure it out if you remember a scene from the trailer though.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Mar 22, 2019

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

anyone else think of this sketch at beginning?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCw-iEJoVfY

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

1stGear posted:

I watched this at an Alamo Drafthouse and they showed part of that sketch in the pre-show, so yeah, it definitely ruined any tension in her initially walking in there.

LOL did they really? amazing.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFGmO1e_sAU

so good.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I saw this yesterday and have some scattered thoughts on it:

I think the thing about the ending twist is that it doesn't really matter; they swapped places and lived each other's lives and the point is that the people they became was entirely a product of their environment rather than some intrinsic good/evil nature.

I know a lot of people have said that they would have preferred if the doubles had just been of the one family but I think I actually kind of liked it as a pseudo-zombie movie. I do agree that the bit of exposition about why it's like that ruins it a bit (someone earlier, maybe in the general horror thread, mentioned that the central concept of the movie is an idea that both demands an explanation but also one for which no explanation would be satisfying so it's a tricky line to walk), but I still think that the fact that everybody has a double is interesting rather than just this one family being special.

i'm surprised people weren't aware of that going in i thought it was obvious from the trailer that it would be multiple families at the least.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it has one of the best trailers of all time. there is a part of me that wishes i hadn't seen it since it gives away (once you're watching the movie anyway) that they swapped - the scene where she reaches out and strangles is in the trailer and since it hadn't shown up in the movie and she spoke so weird i'm going i bet they got switched.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Fart City posted:

When this kicks in during the Adelaide/Red fight I got legit goosebumps.

same as hell. was so happy it wasn't just for the trailer.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Pascallion posted:

Enjoyed it well enough, but both this and Get Out have a similar problem for me: Jordan Peele comes up with some completely out there, overly elaborate backstory and then unnecessarily explains it.

He either needs to leave most of it unsaid because it’s not relevant to the purpose of the movie OR embrace it and go hog wild exploring it...not do what he does in both movies and have awkward exposition that explains more detail than is needed.

gently caress, make an ARG or something if you need to.

you kinda needed the explanation in get out or it just looks like they're brainwashing black people.

LesterGroans posted:

I feel like it's pretty safe to assume that the Adelaide who's above ground has basically suppressed her memories of being a clone.

yeah i'm not sure why this is a stumbling block for people. folks lie about themselves all the time and believe things in their past that didn't happen.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i just watched a video about this movie with ~400k views (was on t he front page cuz i listened to the remix) and it's hilarious how people can make a career making poo poo up or missing stuff in a movie to make an ENDING EXPLAINED video. one example: the guy thinks that adelaide knows she was switched from the beginning. he also has a theory jason was switched out because he swears and his parents don't know where he picked it up and couldn't remember how to get his spark trick to work and builds a tunnel instead of a sand castle...kids build pits/tunnels all the time at the beach. not sure how he explains away pluto sounding and moving around like an animal.

he even gets the fluoridation conspiracy theory wrong.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Mar 24, 2019

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Whalley posted:

e: I mean, I'm kinda reaching with the rabbits thing too - it's pretty clearly on a more blunt level, a reference to Alice in Wonderland

it's funny in that same bad video i mentioned earlier he said the rabbits were the first clones (they weren't) and that's why they were included. it was pretty obviously what you said and rabbits are often used in experiments, set up in caged walls like in the movie. from the opening scene it put in your head that the copies must be some kind of government experiment.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Z. Autobahn posted:

Except the movie doesn’t present it as a dimly lit maze. It’s shown to be a single long hallway with a bunch of single rooms branching off and an exit escalator at the end. It’s a deliberately simple structure.

considering it would've had to hold millions of people i'm guessing we only saw a small part of it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

a new study bible! posted:

My favorite hidden 11:11 was the Black Flag shirt that the twin was wearing. I bet there are a bunch of them.

they played rachel's daughter on friends.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

a new study bible! posted:

I don't know if any of the POVs in this film are reliable. Nothing that Red says seems particularly concrete. I don't know that there's a solid reason to believe that the facility is a secret government thing. The facility could literally be hell for all we know, and Red just interprets it as a government thing because that's an easier explanation than a literal underworld. IDK why anything that she does in the film would lead us to trust her authority in an exposition dump.

she says that they were abandoned at some point so i'm guessing there were government employees down there doing poo poo in the past.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Macaroni Surprise posted:

Can we talk about the cool climactic fight? Chasing after your own shadow? The music?

we did!

Fart City posted:

When this kicks in during the Adelaide/Red fight I got legit goosebumps.

Groovelord Neato posted:

same as hell. was so happy it wasn't just for the trailer.

say what you will about the rest of the movie but that scene was amazing.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

biggest opening weekend for an original horror film (only it and halloween topped it). doubled get out's opening weekend.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

In fact, her knowing exactly where the secret entrance in the fun-house is when Jason gets taken and a lot of her other behavior was seems to directly imply she never repressed her memories at all. Her having known the whole time that she was one of the tethered seems like the interpretation most directly supported by the film.

it's a perfectly valid reading but her not knowing seems to be what the film is going for.

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Anyone else think that

Jason is also one of the switched untethered like Adelaide?

This video is pretty convincing explanation on all the hints that Jordan gives to back up that theory

https://youtu.be/Si_EOJQNclY

this is the video i talked about a few pages back being dumb lol

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Whalley posted:

Of course you don't, it's a stupid dumb idiot theory that ruins the movie

yup!

slate's opening to their explainer is funny:

"For the sake of (relative) simplicity, we’ll refer to the original Adelaide, the one who spends most of the movie in a red jumpsuit, as Adelaide, and the doppelgänger, who spends most of the movie in regular clothing, as Red. It was Adelaide, who was forced to trade places with Red when the two were children, who was the mastermind behind the Untethering."

this is the opposite of simplicity. it's incredibly confusing.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

is that a joke post.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Baxate posted:

I don’t buy that either because they all joke about their kill count and Zora seems to have no issue bludgeoning a girl to death with a golf club, and Jason too with Kitty’s doppelgänger. There’s really not even a difference in how Adelaide did her murders that I saw

she laughs when she kills red.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

That Italian Guy posted:

Also Red is clearly tormenting Adelaide; and one of the tortures she undergoes is being kept in constant fear of her identity being revealed.

Of course most of the story only works if Adelaide is unaware of being a clone at that time but Red has probably no means to know that, if that's the case.

she doesn't know.

Alan_Shore posted:

Which is of course another plot hole because if you eat nothing but rabbit you'll die of malnutrition pretty quick

not what "plot hole" means.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Wax Tadpole posted:

Only she explains the ENTIRE story of her meeting the mirror girl.

yeah people tell themselves lies about themselves until they believe it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

no we're not making things up. we went over this earlier in the thread it's such a bizarre thing to get hung up on.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

looked at my phone earlier at 11:11. rip.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Billy Pilgrim posted:

About Red's voice, I took it as her throat being damaged when she was choked by Adelaide before the switch, maybe coupled with her not actually speaking much for 33 years.

that in conjunction with remembering the scene from the trailer where the clone strangles the original girl in the hall of mirrors allowed me figure out the twist early on.

Maxwell Lord posted:

This just guts the entire thing though, because the idea is, this is something that society made. This is a thing that we, as a country, did that we're getting punished for. We created an underclass, imprisoned and abandoned them, and now they're getting back at us.

yeah it's pretty important. the rabbits are also a reference to it being an experiment.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Mar 27, 2019

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

not really the guy you want to cite.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Typical Pubbie posted:

It's a terrible metaphor. Poor people aren't cultureless psychopaths, they aren't kept secret from the rest of society, and they weren't created by a government black op. I liked the movie but that poo poo was bad and dumb.

poor people do score lower on tests and for a variety of reasons - shittier schools due to school funding being tied to tax base, worse nutrition, and increased chance of lead. and yeah it was pretty much created either from the top down via things like redlining or the people it wasn't affecting ignoring it or not caring (white flight) and voting for the people that exacerbate the problem. america also has the lowest social mobility in the developed world so it's nearly impossible to "escape" the situation for those trapped in it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

your last part doesn't make much sense. she was able to get them to come together and break out because she had come from above and wasn't one of them. there was nothing magical about it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

somnambulist posted:

I don’t get loving get this world and it’s driving me crazy because I want to like the film argh.

We see “tethereds” trying to kill humans that are not their doppelgänger (the twins with the kids as an example) - so how was Ade able to survive in a place with millions of them? ._.

If it’s that easy for a little girl to get all of them together and break out with a master plan (and somehow telling millions of these things what the plan is over the course of decades) - we are to believe NO ONE found that escalator before even though the entire fun house had a complete rebranding?

I guess that’s the “dream logic” part you guys are talking about, which I wouldn’t have a problem with if they weren’t explaining what was happening

Ugh.... I should come back to this thread after rewatching it in the future.

this is confusing me as much as your last post. they think she's one of them.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

How Darwinian posted:

Honestly, I think it's a bad movie, and I think a lot of people are thinking themselves in circles to maintain their initial hope that it would be good.

lol especially with your follow up she was a child not a grown up savior that immediately said remove your chains and doesn't even act for altruistic reasons - she's pretty obsessed with revenge. it's fine not to like the movie but nobody's talking themselves into liking it.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Mar 27, 2019

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

society's probably the piece of media that best encapsulates this time.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Has anyone else had this song stuck in their head since watching the movie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFGmO1e_sAU&feature=youtu.be

Because I have and it's driving me nuts. Yeah, it's a great song, but everything gets annoying after a while and I keep hearing "Plink Plink PLINK plink!" in my brain when I'm trying to think about literally anything else.

i got fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiive on it

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's more likely pluto was tricking him into being captured by red.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

did you forget what happened in that scene or?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i wouldn't be surprised if the reveal was originally just the first bit of flashback (since you get it with that) and it was expanded because peele - probably rightly - feared that a lot of audiences wouldn't get it without it fully laid out.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Typical Pubbie posted:

What are you talking about specifically?

i said he did it to walk jason into a trap. your response is then "he did it for no reason?". you appear to have forgotten that it allowed red to grab jason.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Phy posted:

1. Was that actually the theme song for Hands Across America? I'm old enough to remember hearing about it happening, but no real details.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZorfXa5pBc

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbYLQOvvzLc

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's in the trailer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

LesterGroans posted:

Yeah, same. Up until Gabe was brought on the boat still alive I thought he could bite it anytime.

i 100 percent thought he was gonna die.