Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

flakeloaf posted:

Hang on lemme see if I can untangle this

:golfclap:

But in all seriousness, the Crown goes to the mat on disclosure hearings to prevent having to disclose how these operate/manuals/etc.

It's very frustrating for counsel who are involved in this sort of defence work (read: have significant drug practices).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Spooner
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/ctvnews/status/1109900187026153473?s=21

Cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

What the gently caress do you need to sign an NDA for to talk to your MPP? Jesus.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
It's all about scaring people off. No court will uphold an NDA which an MPP compels upon his constituents in order to get access.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Maneck posted:

It's all about scaring people off. No court will uphold an NDA which an MPP compels upon his constituents in order to get access.

But you'll still need a lawyer and resources to fight it!

Speaking of which, Drewjitsu, is there any kind of charity or fund that funds plaintiffs or lawyers in challenging poo poo like this? I already donate to the CCLA, but I'm curious if there's anyone else, because gently caress this poo poo.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Drewjitsu posted:

What the gently caress do you need to sign an NDA for to talk to your MPP? Jesus.

Here's a fun question, who is the NDA between exactly and what does it cover?

Hopefully someone leaks one sooner than later.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

PT6A posted:

But you'll still need a lawyer and resources to fight it!

Speaking of which, Drewjitsu, is there any kind of charity or fund that funds plaintiffs or lawyers in challenging poo poo like this? I already donate to the CCLA, but I'm curious if there's anyone else, because gently caress this poo poo.

https://www.ucalgary.ca/pilc/

Might be a good place to start locally. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't turn money away if you want to donate.

Edit: https://ccla.org/ seem national, but I'm willing to bet they have a focus on Ontario.

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Mar 25, 2019

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://twitter.com/ctvedmonton/status/1110142116246761472

You'd think that the UCP might have asked itself "how has the right lost elections in Alberta in the past" and then decided to not do that.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

"Threatening to tell people the things I've said"

Weird fear but okay

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Pinterest Mom posted:

You'd think that the UCP might have asked itself "how has the right lost elections in Alberta in the past" and then decided to not do that.

Well, historically speaking, they haven't really, have they? Just the once.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Pinterest Mom posted:

https://twitter.com/ctvedmonton/status/1110142116246761472

The last dumpstered candidate complained about someone threatening* her too. Someone in the UCP inner circle, who has access to their candidates non-public postings, is obviously disgusted by the fact the party is running Islamophobic and white-nationalist dog whistle using candidates.

*Defined in the UCP dictionary as "Alerting the public about her expressed views and statements."

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

infernal machines posted:

And according to our resident Albertans here, the thing that lost them that election wasn't any candidate gaffe about hating minorities, it was a combination of vote splitting and the leader of the PCs telling Albertans that they were actually at fault for the province's economic collapse, and they shouldn't blame it on random others.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

When is a child not a child? When she's a "sexually mature young woman" who consents to sex with her pedoephebophile 40-year-old foster dad, says a lawyer.

The father's lawyer, you presume? Oho. Hoo no, no that wouldn't be news at all.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/ont-lawyer-claims-14-and-15-year-old-girls-are-sexually-mature-1.4350351

quote:

The lawyer for an Ontario children’s aid society is facing criticism for claiming a 14- or 15-year-old girl is a “sexually mature young woman,” not a child.

Toronto lawyer Gary McCallum first made the claim in a written statement last year during court proceedings for a civil case, in which a woman is suing Kenora-Rainy River Districts Child and Family Services. The woman claims she was sexually abused by her foster father in the 1980s, when she was a teen and under the care of a preceding agency in the Northwestern Ontario city.

“A fourteen or fifteen (sic) girl is a sexually mature young woman, not a ‘child,’ as the term is conventionally understood,” McCallum stated.

The executive director of the Kenora-Rainy River Districts Child and Family Services declined to comment on the lawyer’s remarks, which he said are “before the courts,” but clarified the group’s position on the age of a child. “My agency does, and always has, considered 14 and 15 year old young persons to be children,” said Bill Leonard in a statement.

Child welfare experts responded to a Toronto Star report on McCallum’s statement on Sunday. In an interview with CTV’s Your Morning, Torkin Manes lawyer Loretta Merritt, who represents victims of sexual abuse, called it “appalling.”

“It’s quite shocking to me. If the Children’s Aid Society didn’t know (the statement) was being made, that would be quite surprising. It would mean that the lawyer was acting without his client’s authority or instructions, which would be unusual,” said Merritt. “If they did bless a statement like that being made, that’s even more concerning.”

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

it's funny since while Prentice had a point that Albertans were responsible, that's more because they voted in people like Ralph Klein, who proceeded to do things like raid the Heritage Fund to give everyone $400 that one time.

Also, all these UCP people stepping down, aren't they just going to get replaced immediately with other people? There must be a waiting list to get people in constituencies, since no one in the province truly cares about who represents their riding, they just care that their party has control of the legislature

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

The election the hardcore conservatives really lost for displaying their awful views wasn't 2015, it was 2012, where swathes of urban people voted for the PCs in order to prevent the Wildrose party from winning.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

vyelkin posted:

And according to our resident Albertans here, the thing that lost them that election wasn't any candidate gaffe about hating minorities, it was a combination of vote splitting and the leader of the PCs telling Albertans that they were actually at fault for the province's economic collapse, and they shouldn't blame it on random others.

Yeah pretty much.

The other day I was walking down the street in downtown Calgary and I heard a white woman on her cellphone yelling about "all the goddamned [n-words]," I honestly don't think white supremacy is a deal-breaker for most Albertans unfortunately. :smith:

Sometimes I really hate my stupid province.

flakeloaf posted:

When is a child not a child? When she's a "sexually mature young woman" who consents to sex with her pedoephebophile 40-year-old foster dad, says a lawyer.

The father's lawyer, you presume? Oho. Hoo no, no that wouldn't be news at all.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/ont-lawyer-claims-14-and-15-year-old-girls-are-sexually-mature-1.4350351

Put the foster father and the lawyer onto an ice floe to feed hungry polar bears, IMHO.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

infernal machines posted:

Well I'm counting 2012 and the lake of fire stuff here too. Notley's winning coalition this time around needs most of the people who were turned off by Wildrose and voted for Redford's PCs to vote for the NDP.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Aces High posted:

it's funny since while Prentice had a point that Albertans were responsible, that's more because they voted in people like Ralph Klein, who proceeded to do things like raid the Heritage Fund to give everyone $400 that one time.

Yes and no. Ralphbux wasn't as a big a deal as the continuous stream of morons, both before and after, demanding low tax, no debt and high levels of services all at the same time.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
It's probably for the best because polls are such poo poo these days but the Alberta election really demonstrates how much less polling there is in Canadian politics. If this were an American race we'd have a new poll every day. Leger and Mainstreet both seem to have shown a big drop for the UCP between February and March though we have yet to see a single poll where their lead isn't in double digits.

PT6A posted:

Yes and no. Ralphbux wasn't as a big a deal as the continuous stream of morons, both before and after, demanding low tax, no debt and high levels of services all at the same time.

So you still planning to vote Liberal in the fall?

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Helsing posted:

It's probably for the best because polls are such poo poo these days but the Alberta election really demonstrates how much less polling there is in Canadian politics. If this were an American race we'd have a new poll every day. Leger and Mainstreet both seem to have shown a big drop for the UCP between February and March though we have yet to see a single poll where their lead isn't in double digits.

Also important: zero poling by riding makes predicting results hard in a FPTP electoral system.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Helsing posted:

So you still planning to vote Liberal in the fall?

Right now, no. Provincially I'm going to vote NDP, and then federally I will vote for whoever has the best chance of defeating the conservative in my riding. If it's the Liberals again, so be it, but I'll have to hold my nose something fierce for that vote.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Oh for fucks sake CBC, where are your articles on Notley?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/kenney-ucp-secession-support-alberta-election-1.5069971

quote:

The leader of Alberta's United Conservative Party says many people in the province support secession from Canada, based on what he calls "a real tension that runs through the hearts of many Albertans." The party states in a news release that a recent poll found "a shocking 50 per cent of Albertans surveyed said they support secession from Canada." Kenney says in the release that most Albertans are proud Canadians, but they will no longer tolerate the rest the country benefiting from the province's resources while trying to hold back its economy.

Did no one in the media learn anything from Trump's election? You're giving these crazy fuckers free publicity! Also, I would love to know where that survey Kenney references came from, because I highly doubt almost 2 million people actually do want to secede from Canada. Maybe they're Rebel readers or some poo poo.

Christ

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Helsing posted:

Mainstreet is doing daily tracking, but it's behind a 45 dollar paywall. They (and people who have access to the numbers) claim to show a tightening race, but they have even more of a direct financial incentive to show a close race than pollsters usually do.

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.

Aces High posted:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/kenney-ucp-secession-support-alberta-election-1.5069971

Did no one in the media learn anything from Trump's election? You're giving these crazy fuckers free publicity! Also, I would love to know where that survey Kenney references came from, because I highly doubt almost 2 million people actually do want to secede from Canada. Maybe they're Rebel readers or some poo poo.

Christ

Then let them know.

Write a letter and let them know that what they are doing is supporting racism and they are being irresponsible.

write enough of them and cbc will choke.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
No, but you see, it's very important that we hear both sides.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Speaking of how terrible the Canadian media is, let's use this opportunity to despair over the NDP. I somehow missed this last year:

quote:

Media sector gets $595-million package in Ottawa’s fiscal update
DANIEL LEBLANC PARLIAMENTARY AFFAIRS REPORTER
OTTAWA
PUBLISHED NOVEMBER 21, 2018
UPDATED NOVEMBER 21, 2018
105 COMMENTS

The federal government unveiled a $595-million package over five years to help Canada’s media sector, including measures to facilitate fundraising by non-profit news organizations and tax breaks to fund the production of original content.

In addition, the government is proposing a temporary 15 per cent tax credit for Canadians on online subscriptions to some media outlets.

An independent panel comprised of members of the news and journalism industry will flesh out the application of the moves announced in Wednesday’s fall economic statement. In particular, the group will decide which journalism jobs and which news organizations are eligible for the new funding.

The federal government said it wants to assist Canada’s news industry, which is struggling to adapt to new media consumption habits and the migration of advertisers toward foreign digital platforms. In a speech in the House, Finance Minister Bill Morneau said the goal is to “protect the vital role that independent news media play in our democracy and in our communities.”

The issue of federal funding for news organizations has divided Canada’s media community and sparked heated political debate, with the Conservatives arguing new funding to the media should not be awarded in an election year.

“The media should be independent from the government,” Conservative MP Pierre Poilievre said. “We should not have a situation where the government picks a panel that then decides who gets to report the news. That is very dangerous.”

The funding will start flowing slowly, starting with planned spending of $45-million next year before ramping up to $165-million a year by 2023.

The costliest new measure is a refundable tax credit to support “labour costs associated with producing original news content” that will be offered to both for-profit and non-profit news organizations. The tax credit will take effect on Jan. 1, 2019.

In terms of fundraising, the federal government will allow “non-profit journalism organizations that produce a wide variety of news and information of interest to Canadians” to get charitable status and issue official receipts to donors. This would encourage philanthropic support for non-profit organizations by allowing donors to deduct approximately half of the value of their donations from their income taxes. In addition, charities could also start giving money to these non-profit organizations.

The government said the package will aim to help “trusted” news organizations, but will leave it to the media industry to define the application of the new initiatives.

After being briefed on the package, representatives of some major news organizations said the government has found innovative ways to support the media without interfering in the reporting process. Along with other media organizations, Globe and Mail publisher Phillip Crawley said the newspaper is set to launch a foundation that will receive donations to support specific forms of journalism.

“At a time when some of the traditional sources of revenue are fading, like print advertising, it is important to tap into a new funding source like philanthropic funding,” he said. “It could be millions of dollars.”

Regarding the tax breaks for employees, he said the key will be defining eligibility criteria.

“It depends on the industry handling this responsibly," Mr. Crawley said. "The definition of what constitutes a journalist is important.”

Brian Myles, the director of Montreal-based Le Devoir, said the proposals will help attract donations and subscribers to his daily, in addition to paying for newsroom costs.

“All of this will have a significant impact and help us weather the effects of the digital transition,” he said.

The NDP offered its support to the moves in Wednesday’s economic update, while calling for other changes regarding federal advertising.

“Right now the government spends most of its advertising dollars with web giants like Google and Facebook," NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh said. "If they were to spend that money in local media, in media in Canada, that would be a better use of our public dollars.”
:ughh:

CWA Canada, which represents 6,000 workers in the media industry, is hoping the funding will restore journalistic presence in communities affected by the recent closure of dozens of news outlets.

“The loss of local journalists is a serious threat to our democracy,” CWA Canada president Martin O’Hanlon said. “It means fewer journalists reporting on the stories that matter to communities – and leaves almost no one to hold local politicians and powerful interests to account in many places.”

In its last budget, the federal government promised to support smaller, local news outlets in “underserved” communities, offering $10-million a year for five years to be distributed through one or many non-governmental organizations.

In Wednesday’s economic update, the government said the money would start flowing in 2019-20 to independent, non-profit organizations that create “open source news content” to be provided free of charge to local media organizations.

It's never a good feeling when you can't decide whether your party's leader is

1) one of those politicians who has trained themselves to never actually say anything meaningful, resulting in a person who just spouts off platitudes designed to win over supporters, without any underlying beliefs or principles

2) a genuinely dumb person who is saying what they actually think

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

We have an advertisement we want to show to people. Should we sell it to the largest advertising company that's ever existed, or the not-at-all-suspiciously-named Signs N' Coupons Promotions?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Yay Omar Khadr is going to be free: https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2019/03/25/edmonton-judge-to-rule-on-whether-omar-khadrs-sentence-has-expired.html

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

quote:

Whitling has also argued that the military commission that sentenced Khadr has been widely discredited by legal experts.

He then went on to claim that water contributes slightly to humidity.

Gorau
Apr 28, 2008

Aces High posted:

Christ

50% does seems slightly high, but 40% wouldn’t surprise me right now. Over half my co workers would happily vote to secede if given the chance. While it’s a biased sample pool because of the industry, there is a strong sentiment out there. Essentially they’re saying if Alberta is going to be hemmed in by surounding provinces and the only pipelines that will be built are in the US, why continue to pay into Canada? That’s what Kenny keeps hammering at. He wants move tax collection authority to Alberta, and pull Alberta out of all transfer payments with the federal government, both receiving and sending. It’s not a great platform, but to does resonate with a lot of angry albertans.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
My impression of Albertan separatism has usually been that it isn't that Albertans don't think of themselves as Canadian, it's that they think of the rest of the country as un-Canadian.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
So the media grants are for non-profit, general news print media with 2 or more employees? Excellent, I look forward to the government funding Your Ward News in order to support diverse voices.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Arivia posted:

So the media grants are for non-profit, general news print media with 2 or more employees? Excellent, I look forward to the government funding Your Ward News in order to support diverse voices.

Don't worry the Liberals thought this through and figured out who the best people to judge journalistic integrity are:

quote:

An independent panel comprised of members of the news and journalism industry will flesh out the application of the moves announced in Wednesday’s fall economic statement. In particular, the group will decide which journalism jobs and which news organizations are eligible for the new funding.

I see no problems with this.

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.
Okay working on a methodology to maximize our chances. Feel free to tinker with it because we need to convince people outside of Edmonton and Lethbridge and I'm feeling a need to at least have an idea what we can do.

1. Vote. this is pretty much a no brainer, but if you want this government, you vote. any vote that isn't for the ndp at this point is for the ucp. We have elections Canada so we don't have the gerrymandering shenanigans of the states so vote, come hell or high water.

2. That being said, convincing them that the ucp are charlatans works in our favor because it splits their vote and/or makes them sit at home during election day.

3. Listen. Figure out why they are mad. Try to find common ground. Don't say they have to vote, but they need to be informed. If you find why they are mad, post it here and we can hammer out solutions as time progresses. Sometimes it may be as simple as empathy.

4. If you find out why they are mad, send the info to your running candidate. They may have a trick or two that we aren't aware of and might provide suggestions

5. arguing with them doesn't usually work. All it makes is people double down.

6. Find out what news media they follow. If it's global, see if you can find their news story. They seem to be wiping their stories as of late, so showing them a news story disappearing may get them angry at their news source which may drive a wedge.

7. Rebel Media is the enemy, pure and simple. No idea how to shut down their message, but open to suggestions.

8. A lot of this issue is what I call "Kim Campbell syndrome" aka put a woman in charge of the party so they will be blamed for its crash. The big difference is that unlike her Rachel Notley actually won a term and did things. I've heard a lot of people accusing her of being a certain female dog and are voting against her because of that, which is unspeakably petty. In these cases, see if you can displace it by pointing them instead at the MLA and see if it gets a better response.

Now pep talk time.

Albertans are the Dwarves of Canada.

We're a tough industrious people that are known for our stubbornness.

Whenever you are getting down, hum a few bars of the following.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytWz0qVvBZ0

It will cheer you up something fierce. :)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Gorau posted:

50% does seems slightly high, but 40% wouldn’t surprise me right now. Over half my co workers would happily vote to secede if given the chance. While it’s a biased sample pool because of the industry, there is a strong sentiment out there. Essentially they’re saying if Alberta is going to be hemmed in by surounding provinces and the only pipelines that will be built are in the US, why continue to pay into Canada? That’s what Kenny keeps hammering at. He wants move tax collection authority to Alberta, and pull Alberta out of all transfer payments with the federal government, both receiving and sending. It’s not a great platform, but to does resonate with a lot of angry albertans.

You work with Lawrence Solomon? Or maybe Jack Mintz?

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Mar 25, 2019

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Helsing posted:

Don't worry the Liberals thought this through and figured out who the best people to judge journalistic integrity are:

both of the Kays are going to be on this panel aren't they

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Helsing posted:

Can wait to see how many PostMedia Columnists the Federal government will directly subsidize to insult them daily

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

THC posted:

both of the Kays are going to be on this panel aren't they

Wouldn't be surprised if the panel has three K's.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/tommy_slick/status/1110228735536431110?s=21

“The beatings will continue until morale improves.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Spooner
Jun 10, 2013

PT6A posted:

https://twitter.com/tommy_slick/status/1110228735536431110?s=21

“The beatings will continue until morale improves.”

It's almost like teaching practice doesn't reflect what standardized tests examine anymore because it's a steaming garbage fire and should be done away with.

God, gently caress standardized tests and since I'm an Ontario teacher, gently caress EQAO too.