Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Ordinary teacher-in-classroom tests were fine when kids were allowed to fail, right? That's not wistful nostalgia speaking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Silver Spooner posted:

It's almost like teaching practice doesn't reflect what standardized tests examine anymore

Did the practice change or did the eqao tests change? The math ones at least look pretty straight forward, like this for grade 6

quote:

A bag contains 1 red, 3 blue, 4 yellow, 5 orange and 7 purple marbles. Without looking, Sara chooses one marble from the bag.

Which colour has a 0.25 chance of being chosen?

Justify your answer. Show your work for each colour of marble.

Why not have standardized math tests so we can see how well kids are doing relative to each other at preparing them for real world marble dilemmas?

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Did the practice change or did the eqao tests change? The math ones at least look pretty straight forward, like this for grade 6

Why not have standardized math tests so we can see how well kids are doing relative to each other at preparing them for real world marble dilemmas?

Because everyone needs to pass.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

So is Kenney promising to repeal "no child left behind" as well? Or would that be a step too far for his base

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Ah yes the old "a politician knows what is best for the education system", basically anti-intellectualism at its finest.

Kenney is hitting the chud bingo card more and more each day.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
If the CBC truly wants to present both sides, they’re going to have to report on the growing enthusiasm for Albertan separatism outside of Alberta. :colbert:

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

the following provinces/territories should secede from Canada and become independent states: British Columbia, Alberta, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Quebec, Newfoundland and Labrador, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, Yukon, Nunavut, Northwest Territories. That is all

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Albertan separation rears its head under every federal Liberal government. The increased polarization of our politics is making it a bit more pronounced this time. I think CBC and whoever else is going to report on it, if it is now part of this campaign, needs to be very careful about how it's framed. Proponents are going to paint a utopian picture of free-flowing oil, endless cash, and limitless prosperity, but if we look just at the clustefuck that is Brexit we can see that secession isn't quite so easy. Alberta may be able to leave Canada, but it can't leave the world.

Maybe it's pollyanna, but I would hope that, if the conversation does pick up steam for whatever reason, that we get reasonable analysis of what might actually happen. How realistic is secession from Canada for Alberta? How would the economies of both Alberta and Canada be affected? What are the risks to each? What are the benefits? What if they want back in?

HackensackBackpack fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Mar 25, 2019

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

THC posted:

the following provinces/territories should secede from Canada and become independent states: British Columbia, Alberta, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Quebec, Newfoundland and Labrador, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, Yukon, Nunavut, Northwest Territories. That is all

I was just looking up the GDP of the provinces when this discussion started.

Alberta as Kuwait, BC as Belgium, and Saskatchewan as Saudi Arabia work too drat well.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
If Alberta secedes I wonder what it would mean for Indigenous 'treaties' with Canada on the land known as Alberta now? I suppose that they'd hold no weight being with Alberta totally separate legal entity than Canada.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Toalpaz posted:

If Alberta secedes I wonder what it would mean for Indigenous 'treaties' with Canada on the land known as Alberta now? I suppose that they'd hold no weight being with Alberta totally separate legal entity than Canada.

Alberta would probably do evil things like use their state police to force a pipeline through indigenous land, or completely ignore their responsibilities in the treaties and let them live in squalor.

oh wait

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Oh man, that is royally going to make some Con heads asplode.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Powershift posted:

Alberta would probably do evil things like use their state police to force a pipeline through indigenous land, or completely ignore their responsibilities in the treaties and let them live in squalor.

oh wait

Pretty sure a Kenney led Alberta would go full Bolsonaro on the indigenous populations if given then chance. The guy is a monster. :smith:

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
The amount of political goodwill you get in Alberta by going 'har har Quebec har har Transfer payments' is a pretty loving sad state of affairs tbh but I've had to hear variations on that riff my entire life.

I dunno what the idiots would even do with the extra cash cause inevitably the people that whine the most about transfer payments are the same people who wanna slash the poo poo out of government programs. Ralph Bucks 2?

Maybe those other provinces should be pull themselves up by their bootstraps and find a giant horrifically dirty and inefficient natural resource supply underneath their soil that's only profitiable at high market prices.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Furnaceface posted:

Pretty sure a Kenney led Alberta would go full Bolsonaro on the indigenous populations if given then chance. The guy is a monster. :smith:

It's more likely he'll form government-church parterships, and supply all aid to through through the church, forcing them to convert or starve.

You know, the values canada was founded on.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

CRISPYBABY posted:

The amount of political goodwill you get in Alberta by going 'har har Quebec har har Transfer payments' is a pretty loving sad state of affairs tbh but I've had to hear variations on that riff my entire life.

I dunno what the idiots would even do with the extra cash cause inevitably the people that whine the most about transfer payments are the same people who wanna slash the poo poo out of government programs. Ralph Bucks 2?

Maybe those other provinces should be pull themselves up by their bootstraps and find a giant horrifically dirty and inefficient natural resource supply underneath their soil that's only profitiable at high market prices.

I correct everybody who brings up transfer payments in conversation. 1 time out of ten it ends with "oh, that's reasonable". the other 9 times it seems their brain resets completely and they start back with their original "we shouldn't be paying for all quebec's free poo poo"

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Powershift posted:

oh wait

Actually I believe the last dispute between the government of Alberta and the First Nations concerning oil production was when the provincial government cut the production rate a while back and various Nations said "nuh uh, gently caress you, you can't tell us what to do."

Banking on them to want to limit pipelines or oil production in general, when they're making money off it, is misguided. But I agree an independent Alberta would probably find many ways to gently caress them over a bunch.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

flakeloaf posted:

When is a child not a child? When she's a "sexually mature young woman" who consents to sex with her pedoephebophile 40-year-old foster dad, says a lawyer.

The father's lawyer, you presume? Oho. Hoo no, no that wouldn't be news at all.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/ont-lawyer-claims-14-and-15-year-old-girls-are-sexually-mature-1.4350351

God drat it, Kenora.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Toalpaz posted:

Oh yeah, every Canada/US independence movement gives zero fucks about natives lmao. Never even occurs to them most of the time, and when it does occur to them usually it's because they want to get rid of what few benefits indigenous people have now. Even proponents of the nominally woke-liberal-progressive Cascadia movement will give you blank stares if you ask how first nations fit into it

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Mar 25, 2019

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Leofish posted:

God drat it, Kenora.

Toronto lawyer.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

THC posted:

Oh yeah, every Canada/US independence movement gives zero fucks about natives lmao. Never even occurs to them most of the time, and when it does occur to them usually it's because they want to get rid of what few benefits indigenous people have now. Even proponents of the nominally woke-liberal-progressive Cascadia movement will give you blank stares if you ask how first nations fit into it

I liked your pre-edit version because nation to nation relationships involved making deals, and any secession actually raises a poo poo ton of questions about the legitimacy of those Canadian/provincial relationships with Indigenous people. The old deals would be out and Alberta would have no real legal justification for it's ownership of the land or ability to sell it to corporations to develop.

PT6A posted:

Actually I believe the last dispute between the government of Alberta and the First Nations concerning oil production was when the provincial government cut the production rate a while back and various Nations said "nuh uh, gently caress you, you can't tell us what to do."

Banking on them to want to limit pipelines or oil production in general, when they're making money off it, is misguided. But I agree an independent Alberta would probably find many ways to gently caress them over a bunch.

Less about whether Indigenous would be people would be environmental or not and more about Indigenous people taking control over their land and owning the means of production and making billions off of developing it. Which I think would be interesting.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Do Alberta separatists actually think it would be easier to lay pipe through BC if they weren't part of Canada? I'm guessing its more gut thinking than head thinking involved.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

mashed_penguin posted:

Do Alberta separatists actually think it would be easier to lay pipe through BC if they weren't part of Canada? I'm guessing its more gut thinking than head thinking involved.

They would just build the pipes to the border and let the oil spill out onto the ground right there.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Toalpaz posted:

Less about whether Indigenous would be people would be environmental or not and more about Indigenous people taking control over their land and owning the means of production and making billions off of developing it. Which I think would be interesting.

There's also the question of, in the event of a hypothetical independent Alberta, whether Indigenous people would consider giving up treaty rights as they currently exist in exchange for a greater share of control in the eventual government -- essentially giving up sole control over small areas, in exchange for more influence over the province/country as a whole. Which would also be interesting.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
Alberta trip report: my neighbourhood is part of Edmonton-Glenora, and is left of centre for Alberta. Orange signs are everywhere and UPC signs are few and far between. RE/MAX is actually in second place in the sign primary.

Most people I talk to are pretty down on Kenney, and the fact that they keep playing Bigot Jenga with their candidates (i.e. replacing a racist candidate with a misogynist one). That, plus the polls that weren't accurate at all last time gives me a faint glimmer of hope.

Of course, I'm cognizant of that old quote: 'How could Nixon win? I don't know a single person that voted for him.'

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

mashed_penguin posted:

That is literally an argument that guys like Lawrence Solomen, Jack Mintz have made. I think it's more of a thing that you cynically say to rile up fears of separatism as a bargaining tactic rather than something they actually believe though.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

mashed_penguin posted:

They’re convinced they’d get welcomed into the US because reasons?

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

BGrifter posted:

They’re convinced they’d get welcomed into the US because reasons?

The current government is Republican and that will never change.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Leofish posted:

The current government is Republican and that will never change.

All the pipelines from Alberta to the US that were approved and built while Republicans controlled all of congress and the presidency is proof of just how hard Alberta is getting screwed by the rest of Canada.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

But if their whole point of trying to get oil to tidewater to not get hosed by the US market going to the US directly doesn't achieve that.

It really is kind of amazing how hard the federal liberals have worked to ram that pipe through BC and yet its still not enough. I'd really love to know what they think Harper would have done differently. Or what Scheer will do.

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

I have no control, I just keep eating, and eating.

Albino Squirrel posted:

Alberta trip report: my neighbourhood is part of Edmonton-Glenora, and is left of centre for Alberta. Orange signs are everywhere and UPC signs are few and far between. RE/MAX is actually in second place in the sign primary.

Most people I talk to are pretty down on Kenney, and the fact that they keep playing Bigot Jenga with their candidates (i.e. replacing a racist candidate with a misogynist one). That, plus the polls that weren't accurate at all last time gives me a faint glimmer of hope.

Of course, I'm cognizant of that old quote: 'How could Nixon win? I don't know a single person that voted for him.'

In my area of Edmonton, there are lots of NDP signs up and, including at my own house, and very few others. On my street there is one other person with a sign, also NDP. This year, I felt that I really need to show I'm proud of voting for them, at least hoping to help remove some of that only vote conservative mindset. My other thought is I know most of my street probably is voting UCP, but they know it's a bad look to promote that right now.

Which you know, you'd think would be the first hint that maybe they are voting for the baddies.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

CRISPYBABY posted:

They would buy bigger trucks.

mashed_penguin posted:

One of the central elements in Alberta politics is a massive victim complex. Politicians routinely play up how outsiders (BC hippies, Ontario Liberals, lazy Quebecers, those eastern bastards in general, US environmental activists) have got it out for us, and if we didn't have to deal with them we could get things done. It doesn't make any sense, but it doesn't have to, because the alternative is that our own choices are the problem. Just look at what happened to Jim Prentice when he suggested that.

That's why you have Kenney proposing a referendum on equalization, despite the fact that he helped write the current policy in the first place, and no matter the outcome it could never have any effect. The point is just to yell that everyone else is being unfair to Alberta.

e:

Demon_Corsair posted:

It's not even that. They think that by threatening to leave like Quebec does, they can start to get all the sweet perks they think Quebec gets instead of having to pay equalization payments.

Also this. People have no understanding of what equalization is or how it works, they just think Ottawa is giving our money to Quebec, who then blocks our pipelines. Which has no grounding in reality, but politicians keep saying it, and they keep believing it.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Mar 25, 2019

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

vyelkin posted:

My impression of Albertan separatism has usually been that it isn't that Albertans don't think of themselves as Canadian, it's that they think of the rest of the country as un-Canadian.

It's not even that. They think that by threatening to leave like Quebec does, they can start to get all the sweet perks they think Quebec gets instead of having to pay equalization payments.

It's not a super rational position.

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.

Albino Squirrel posted:

I doubt Edmonton is going to flip.

Edmonton has been punished under the banksters and prairie boys era since we booted Don Getty out of his riding.

but I do know win or lose, we have to fight, end of story.

Never understood Alberta leaving. Unless we're digging the mother of all holes under the earth, it's plain old not going to happen.

What we can do is point out other region's hypocrisy when they make us the bad guys. :p

shades of eternity fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Mar 25, 2019

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
I'm glad to hear that separatism is growing in Alberta because I hope that means the Independence party gets more votes and splits the conservatives.

I've actually been hearing about that party for nearly a year now but it's definitely been a rural thing only though.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I spent the day in downtown Toronto.

Toronto is a garbage city aside from some nice old empire architecture from when we built nice buildings. Basically everything I hate about Vancouver dialed to the max, with 100% less sunlight hitting the streets.

Downtown Camera is great tho, ate a whole paycheque. An overtime wind construction paycheque. Goddamn. :2bong:

Tl;dr: Toronto is trash.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
My favourite thing about Alberta separatism is that the same chuds calling for it were the first to scream 'TREASON! ' every time Quebec held a referendum.

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.

THC posted:

agreed as they make their own coalition.

What the hell is a dominion anyways? :p

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Rime posted:

I spent the day in downtown Toronto.

Toronto is a garbage city aside from some nice old empire architecture from when we built nice buildings. Basically everything I hate about Vancouver dialed to the max, with 100% less sunlight hitting the streets.

Downtown Camera is great tho, ate a whole paycheque. An overtime wind construction paycheque. Goddamn. :2bong:

Tl;dr: Toronto is trash.

as someone who lives in toronto :yeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Albino Squirrel posted:

My favourite thing about Alberta separatism is that the same chuds calling for it were the first to scream 'TREASON! ' every time Quebec held a referendum.

But of course, they're from Quebec, they're not realTM Canadians (I grew up having to hear that poo poo spewed all over Alberta)