Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Elephant Ambush posted:

FFT reviews

quote:

BryanM.
Sep 11, 2007
I don't know what it is i just hate this game. it plays different then FFVII and VIII.

:laugh:

Never forget. :911:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I don't. This is a real first play-through. Yeah maybe I'll break it if I get fed-up, but I doubt that'll happen. I just don't want to miss anything key, but I think there isn't any secret characters in this one, and that's the major thing I like to see. I'll play like I usually explore everywhere/talk to everyone/steal everything that's stealable. FF7 was tricky since it wasn't always clear what parts of the backgrounds you could interact with, so I'm hoping FF8 makes that a bit clearer. I almost missed Gast's videos in Icicle Inn because of that.
Unfortunately 8 doesn't make it any clearer. (9 does though)

Elephant Ambush posted:

And Draw from every boss at least once.

Yeah, even if you're not trying to break the game drawing is still pretty important. I kept draw on everyone's command list just for the utility of being able to use enemy spells against them.

Also, you'll probably notice as you play through but all enemies level up alongside you. But not in any sort of fair way :argh:

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007
Another golden review

"" posted:

JoeshieB.
Aug 14, 2006
Let me start by saying that the biggest problem I had with this game was the atmosphere. Simply put, I felt like I was watching my Final Fantasy series being mashed with some horrible chick flick drivel. I mean, you have to go throw a concert in the Thunder Plains. A CONCERT! What's next? Help Yuna go pick out that fabulous prom dress she has always dreamed about or perhaps we should go try go try and find the elusive red lipstick that was stolen by the Al Bhed! Aside from the girlish atmosphere, the game also suffered from sub-par music and rather horrible voice acting. However, despite these huge problems, the game still has one saving grace. The battle system is one of the most enjoyable systems I have ever played. Overall, this game could have been so much more if it had dropped the Barbie or Pretty Pretty Princess approach.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Everyone's mentioned the most important FF8 things. I'll add one more thing that Robin Williams will give you an evil lamp and warn against using it. If you've played any JRPGs before you can win the fight (save beforehand though) without much trouble and in fact the level scaling here won't do you many favors to wait.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

you can do lots of cool things with various GF abilities involving item conversions

don't do most of those things, especially card mod, if you want to experience the "intended" difficulty curve

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

zedprime posted:

Everyone's mentioned the most important FF8 things. I'll add one more thing that Robin Williams will give you an evil lamp and warn against using it. If you've played any JRPGs before you can win the fight (save beforehand though) without much trouble and in fact the level scaling here won't do you many favors to wait.

I feel like beating the lamp fight early isn't breaking the game but it does give you an early advantage. If you want to know the secret here the lamp contains a boss fight against Diablos and if you beat him you get him as a GF. The way to beat him is to blind him. It has a low chance of success but if it hits then he literally can't kill you and you can just beat him to death.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Just wrapped up 12TZA. I liked it a lot, even if it didn’t feel like a whole lot happened, plot-wise. It’s nice that Vaan wasn’t annoying like I thought he’d be. He actually grows pretty early.

Balthier might be my new favorite FF character, but being Han Solo gives him an advantage there I guess.

Pencils R Cool
Feb 16, 2011
Any essential tips for XIII? So far I'm 8 hours in, there are two Shivas and they transformed into a motorcycle, Odin's horse is missing two legs and Vanille is the most anime character I've ever seen but I'm enjoying it. I read somewhere that it's best not to upgrade equipment until the game goes semi-open world?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Pencils R Cool posted:

Any essential tips for XIII? So far I'm 8 hours in, there are two Shivas and they transformed into a motorcycle, Odin's horse is missing two legs and Vanille is the most anime character I've ever seen but I'm enjoying it. I read somewhere that it's best not to upgrade equipment until the game goes semi-open world?
Upgrading weapons quickly becomes material intensive and until you get one of every weapon and see peoples tree focus you're not going to be able to pick out the good base weapons without a guide telling you which are the good early ones. You can put like a level or two in but you might be wasting your time even with that.

Upgrading accessories is pretty cheap, easy, and clear what you're getting so you can do that.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Pencils R Cool posted:

Yeah money and resources are tight for most of the game so save it all until you really need it. I would strongly suggest looking up a weapon upgrade guide. It will explain a lot of things that the game never tells you and it will also save you tons of time dealing with trial and error.

Apparently Lightning/Fang/Hope is the best team in the game but my standard was to use all the women for non-boss fights and the men for boss fights.

Deceptisols are extremely rare so only use them to skip fights that you really don't want to beat your head against.

Galaxies
Jan 22, 2020

I think Lightning/Fang/Hope is considered the best because they have access to every role across the three of them in a way that doesn't make you grind secondary roles? I'm not sure if it gets more specific than that. I know that Vanille has some optional boss specific uses later in the game.

My XIII party was Lightning/Hope/Vanille because they were my favourite characters. Who needs Sentinels when you have Med/Med/Med?

EDIT: Saboteur is a really important class. Status effects in FFXIII are really important so make sure you debuff your bosses/enemies with them when you have a Sab available. Use the Libra skill to detect weaknesses as well, as the AI will immediately start using what the enemy is susceptible too rather than wasting time testing what works and what doesn't

Galaxies fucked around with this message at 19:30 on May 31, 2020

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Diabolos is weak to blind. One of the few times a boss in a Final Fantasy can't no-sell a status-effect.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Diabolos is super easy to miss because you have to talk to Cid on a very specific screen and if you leave (even to go save) he's gone when you come back

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Why not have the darkness guy be susceptible to the darkness status effect.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Elephant Ambush posted:

If you're not trying to break the game this is the most important thing you need to know. Pay attention to when a GF skill is learned and manually select the next one to learn. Pick the ones that give special abilities instead of stat or damage boosts.

And Draw from every boss at least once.

Thanks. I do like you all using these terms and I have no idea what they mean, but on the other hand I'm sure it'll click once I start playing. Draw and keep an Eye on GF, and play cards. Got it!

I was going to do a chaser of either Assassin's Creed or Deadly Premonition, but I'm just pumped to get into it. Hopefully I won't burn out.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Diabolos is weak to blind. One of the few times a boss in a Final Fantasy can't no-sell a status-effect.

See also half the bosses in FF5, particularly the dozen or so vulnerable to instant death.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Thanks. I do like you all using these terms and I have no idea what they mean, but on the other hand I'm sure it'll click once I start playing. Draw and keep an Eye on GF, and play cards. Got it!

And whatever you do, don't think too hard about the plot.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Elephant Ambush posted:

Deceptisols are extremely rare so only use them to skip fights that you really don't want to beat your head against.

They aren't rare if you're garbage at the game. :smug:

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Schwartzcough posted:

Hm... ok. That's a touch disheartening. The plot was the worst part about 7 (which is by all rights an excellent game). The plot doesn't get in the way of the game in 6, so I feel they do better the simpler the story is. Looking forward to see how it goes off the rails in 8. As long as character development is good I'll be happy, it's what they did so well in 6 and 7.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
FF8's plot is convoluted and a bit half baked but I still like it a lot. Ultimately more than 7's but that's a supernova of a hot take. In this analogy, a half baked cookie is still a cookie, and can be better than a fully completed cake depending on your tastes

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
it's a hot dog without sauce

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Schwartzcough posted:

No no, think hard about the plot and the madness into which it will drive you.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

FF8's plot is convoluted and a bit half baked but I still like it a lot. Ultimately more than 7's but that's a supernova of a hot take. In this analogy, a half baked cookie is still a cookie, and can be better than a fully completed cake depending on your tastes

Haven't met a person who doesn't like cookie dough. Not all cakes are great. I think it works.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Any pertinent advice for VIII or will I be fine just jumping in? Unlike 7, I know very little about 8 aside from Gunswords, King Emo Squall, and that there's Rinoa and a teacher so it'll be nice to discover what I feel is often treated as the George Harrison of the PS1 games.

Mug is a really cool ability and you get it by using the Lamp you get from Cid, and beating the boss. and then selecting Mug manually to learn it because it will default to GF HP +10% :downs: it also has a high hit rate so don't worry about it too much.

and then you have to equip it, of course.

i don't know if this is ff8 or not but i feel like i remember there being an FF game where if you steal during battle, the enemy you stole from won't drop items afterwards. but that's not so bad, because the steal pool is substantially different from the drop pool.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 21:09 on May 31, 2020

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
While I really enjoy the ways to get bustedly swole in FF8, I think if I ever replay it again I'll do a challenge run with the rules of "no triple triad" and "no intentionally avoiding experience" just so I get to re-experience the fun (to me) of discovering how to best utilize the various interlocking systems, when I forbid myself from using the ones that I already know work. Maybe add on "no intentionally mashing triangle to spam limit breaks"

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Mega64 posted:

They aren't rare if you're garbage at the game. :smug:

I never said I wasn't garbage :smug:

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

The White Dragon posted:

Mug is a really cool ability and you get it by using the Lamp you get from Cid, and beating the boss. and then selecting Mug manually to learn it because it will default to GF HP +10% :downs: it also has a high hit rate so don't worry about it too much.

and then you have to equip it, of course.

i don't know if this is ff8 or not but i feel like i remember there being an FF game where if you steal during battle, the enemy you stole from won't drop items afterwards. but that's not so bad, because the steal pool is substantially different from the drop pool.

Mug is a weird ability because on the one hand it makes Steal more impactful, since it can damage, but on the other hand you're actively decreasing your chances to steal the object you want to get. I'm always very happy to have Mug until the first time I killed an enemy before snagging the item.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Mega64 posted:

See also half the bosses in FF5, particularly the dozen or so vulnerable to instant death.

It's very cool the sheer number of enemies you can CONGRATS! away in X-2, or for that matter stunlock to death.

Tactless Ogre
Oct 31, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

While I really enjoy the ways to get bustedly swole in FF8, I think if I ever replay it again I'll do a challenge run with the rules of "no triple triad" and "no intentionally avoiding experience" just so I get to re-experience the fun (to me) of discovering how to best utilize the various interlocking systems, when I forbid myself from using the ones that I already know work. Maybe add on "no intentionally mashing triangle to spam limit breaks"

All you're going to get out of that discovery is the realization of how important your own time is, and how much you're wasting of it to limit yourself in a game that's counting on you to break it in half.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

FF8's plot isn't cookie dough, it's cookie ingredients that someone has thrown on the floor and then walked all over

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Sakurazuka posted:

FF8's plot isn't cookie dough, it's cookie ingredients that someone has thrown on the floor and then walked all over

FF8 has a bunch of really neat and unique ideas and set pieces and concepts and plot threads and jumps from step 2 of one to step 10 of another back and forth and never eally ties them together. There's enough ideas in FF8 to make like 3 good solid FF plots and the just don't commit to anyhting.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Mega64 posted:

along the same line, there's always one boss you can OHKO with a phoenix down/x-potion

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Tactless Ogre posted:

All you're going to get out of that discovery is the realization of how important your own time is, and how much you're wasting of it to limit yourself in a game that's counting on you to break it in half.

Challenge runs own though

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
I just re-read Cool Ghost's FF8 LP. The plot has its moments but it's also a monument to the perils of including time travel/time loops as a central part of the plot.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

zakharov posted:

I just re-read Cool Ghost's FF8 LP. The plot has its moments but it's also a monument to the perils of including time travel/time loops as a central part of the plot.

if only Square had prior experience creating a game about time travel...

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

TommyGun85 posted:

Well that game had a very different answer to "can you change the past?" Hell yeah you can, let's get busy.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

TommyGun85 posted:

Who knew the legacy of ff1 ran so deep

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

TommyGun85 posted:

Multiple games about time travel! (FF1, SaGa 3/Final Fantasy Legend 3, Chrono Trigger.)

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
So I just found out that there is a FF Crystal Chronicles remake on the way. Squarenix popping quality remakes left and right.

And yet no Valkyrie Profile or Xenogears yet, you cowards :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

lezard_valeth posted:

So I just found out that there is a FF Crystal Chronicles remake on the way. Squarenix popping quality remakes left and right.

And yet no Valkyrie Profile or Xenogears yet, you cowards :argh:

I mean this in the least sick burn kind of way but they're probably focusing on games people will actually buy...