Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Jazerus posted:

Zeromarche

it's been a very very long time since i played ffta, but nobody actually knows that the world is fake other than marche, mewt, and doned, right?

who's to say that exdeath isn't a dude trapped in a vr sim trying to get out, who absolutely does not give a poo poo about the "fake people" like bartz, galuf, etc. to the point that he doesn't even explain to them that they are fake? i realize this is an incredibly stupid theory, but marche's motivations are equally incomprehensible to the average person in fake-ivalice. he just wants to blow up everything they know.

This is actually FF14’s Emet Selch. The way he explains it you almost agree with him

All existing worlds in FF14 are shards of the past, “true” world that shattered after an apocalypse - Emet wants to reunify the shards to recreate the utopia his people come from.

This has the slight side effect of killing everyone who is living in the shards - but his point is you’re just shards and everyone would be happier as their whole self again and they just don’t know it. It’s like trying to convince someone they are living in hell, how could they be happy, don’t they know this is hell? But they have lives and friends and it doesn’t matter that they’re shards, those experiences are real.

It’s a really interesting situation that opens up a lot of questions especially if you think about FFTA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
In FF14 Neo Exdeath literally rips a hole into reality (well, Omega's Thunderdome) from the Void to fight you and its rad as poo poo.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Now they should have DeathMarche show up and do the same thing.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I am trapped in a dungeon with all my people except Ashe Diseased. I have no items that claim to get rid of Disease, I don't see any spells to get rid of Disease, and Esuna doesn't work on it. If Ashe gets Disease, I'm hosed. But I'm so far into the dungeon I want to try to keep going, even though there's a 90% chance that will be a waste of time.

This loving sucks. This is horrible. I hate this stupid loving garbage game.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Gripweed posted:

I am trapped in a dungeon with all my people except Ashe Diseased. I have no items that claim to get rid of Disease, I don't see any spells to get rid of Disease, and Esuna doesn't work on it. If Ashe gets Disease, I'm hosed. But I'm so far into the dungeon I want to try to keep going, even though there's a 90% chance that will be a waste of time.

This loving sucks. This is horrible. I hate this stupid loving garbage game.

No Remedies with the appropriate Remedy Lore license?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Alxprit posted:

No Remedies with the appropriate Remedy Lore license?

I had two characters with Remedy Lore 3. I had four Remedies because up until now Remedies were useless because everything they cured could be cured by an Esuna for free, or by a much cheaper single use item which I had plenty of from loot.

So I used two of my four Remedies on my two characters with Remedy Lore 3, then they both got diseased again of course because every loving trash mob in this stupid game causes status effects, I accidentally used a character who didn't have Remedy Lore 3 to cast a Remedy on one of my Remedy Lore 3 characters, which of course didn't work so that was a waste of a Remedy, and I was left with 6 Diseased characters and a single Remedy. And I couldn't find the switch to open the gate, and running around looking for it was going to be a problem because the monsters in this dungeon respawn if you get move twenty feet. So my only option is to go back to a previous save, teleport to a city, buy as many Remedies as I can, create gambits to have my Remedy Lore 3 characters cast Remedy all the time, and see if I can make it through this dungeon before my Remedy stack runs out.

So I am currently building a bonfire in which I can destroy this horrible stupid game, and my Switch, and maybe myself too.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I really liked FFXIII, I really liked FFXIV, so playing through the older ones I'd missed seemed like a fine way to enjoy this epidemic. But if this fiddly bullshit is standard in the pre-PS3 FFs I'm gonna reconsider

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I think you got yourself into a weird extremely edge case honestly. I don't think I ever got into a case in FF12 where I found myself "Stuck" in a dungeon in that way, although I do remember you couldn't teleport out which annoyed me

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Did you find a Serum? Those specifically heal that.

Bubble also cures it

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Did you find a Serum? Those specifically heal that.

Bubble also cures it

No Serums, and I haven't been able to buy Bubble yet.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

What dungeon even is that, I don't remember running into anything that bad

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Help Im Alive posted:

The one right after the headless angel statue boss fight.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Gripweed posted:

No Serums, and I haven't been able to buy Bubble yet.

Bubble should show up in the Clan Bazaar once you hit Riskbreaker.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
There’s also the spell Cleanse, which heals Disease specifically

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

BisbyWorl posted:

Bubble should show up in the Clan Bazaar once you hit Riskbreaker.

I haven't been doing any of the Clan stuff

thetoughestbean posted:

There’s also the spell Cleanse, which heals Disease specifically

I don't have cleanse, and it's not available at the two magic shops I looked at. So either it's available at some other magic shop, it's also tied to some side stuff I haven't been doing, or I haven't progressed enough in the game to be able to buy it yet

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Gripweed posted:

I haven't been doing any of the Clan stuff

I don't have cleanse, and it's not available at the two magic shops I looked at. So either it's available at some other magic shop, it's also tied to some side stuff I haven't been doing, or I haven't progressed enough in the game to be able to buy it yet

Well bad news. FF12 loves to tuck basically anything that is fun or useful or makes its combat not aggressively dumb behind side content/hunts especially.

Or chests with like a 20% chance to get the good thing. Better re-zone, rear end in a top hat!

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Cleanse is in a chest in Cerobi Steppe and it sucks it's so hidden

Also does the game ever tell you that Bubble clears disease or is it something you need to figure out yourself because I did not know that and I've beaten all three versions of the game

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
It’s kind if weird that you’re running into disease so early, then. The main times I ran into it were much later in the game

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

thetoughestbean posted:

It’s kind if weird that you’re running into disease so early, then. The main times I ran into it were much later in the game

How long is this drat game that I've got almost 30 hours playtime and I'm still so early? I just fought Cid and then he ran away and I'm chasing him somewhere. I think we're after another shard or something.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Gripweed posted:

How long is this drat game that I've got almost 30 hours playtime and I'm still so early? I just fought Cid and then he ran away and I'm chasing him somewhere. I think we're after another shard or something.

wait, are you at like the Ridorana Cataract or something? that's like the last dungeon of the game, pretty much, so you should definitely have prepared for status effects and stuff by then

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Help Im Alive posted:

The one just before you hit the Great Crystal? I remember getting diseased a bunch around there and having to try and escape because I had nothing to cure it too

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

The one just before you hit the Great Crystal? I remember getting diseased a bunch around there and having to try and escape because I had nothing to cure it too

Giruvegan (and the Great Crystal) does suck, yeah

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Oh man if you're this mad at the game before the Great Crystal then lol

XII is my favourite single player FF and I hate the GC with a burning passion.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Ibblebibble posted:

Oh man if you're this mad at the game before the Great Crystal then lol

XII is my favourite single player FF and I hate the GC with a burning passion.

I decided to brute force the optional section of GC right after I finished the plot there just to save me the extra trip back.

I normally keep levels even, but Vaan/Ashe/Penelo had the easiest run of things, so I wasn't swapping any of them out.

As you can see, it took quite a loving while.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
I used a map/guide for it and I have no regrets

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

morallyobjected posted:

I used a map/guide for it and I have no regrets

You should have had 1: Playing FF12.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Gripweed posted:

I really liked FFXIII, I really liked FFXIV, so playing through the older ones I'd missed seemed like a fine way to enjoy this epidemic. But if this fiddly bullshit is standard in the pre-PS3 FFs I'm gonna reconsider

I think 12 is pretty much the only game that's like that. There's some weird archaic stuff in the first generation games but 4 to 10 are all fairly streamlined experiences. 10 in particular probably has the most streamlined set of magic elements and status effects despite being one 1 title away from 12.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
FF12 is bad.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

I think the reason 12 has so many status effects has to do with being able to automate their removal.

edit: FF12 is good, actually

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Don't save crystals cure Disease? You're never THAT far from a save crystal in the game, outside of some end-game dungeons.

FF12 is good.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

FF12 is a video game.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Aside from Fran those character portraits look far too similar imo

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

They weren't able to master the portraits until they had the incredible power of the PS3

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

12's biggest sin was taking place in a world with a lot of fantasy creatures but only having humans and the most human like fantasy race make up your party

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I agree with the guy who said Basch should've been one of those alligator dudes

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Also don't get me started with having two characters with names that start with "ba", two names with "ash", two names ending in "an"...

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Well I finished FF2. The last 1/3 of the game just wasn't fun. I liked a lot of the characters though. Too bad most of them died. I'm glad Leila survived. She was cool.

Also I discovered that aside from Toading most of the bosses you really can just mash Attack through the whole thing. The Blood Sword kills the Emperor in like 4 hits lol.

I'm glad I played it but I will likely never play it again.

Thanks for all the help you all gave me. I didn't have to look at guides much and I'm glad because I hate having to rely on guides. I only looked up a couple things because they weren't obvious.

I'm taking a break from FF games for a while. I think 9 might be my next one though. I got the Steam version on a sale a while back. I'm super spoiled by speed up buttons so I can't imagine playing another version.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

FF12 is a perfectly mid tier FF game. Some good things, some bad things, it is probably worth playing at least once.

I've always been intrigued by how little attention it gets, though. It reviewed great, sold well, and then...just kinda died, especially before Zodiac Age. FF15 feels the same. Nobody really talks about either game much anymore even as they did incredibly well to start off with.

FF13 got a lot more long-lasting discussion even if most of it was screaming about how much it sucked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

People don't talk much about middling things, in general.