Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

sponges posted:

I’m finding one really grindy. I’m in the elf village and everything costs a kings ransom and every drat enemy is poisoning me which of course persists outside of battle :argh:

Go to the nearest dungeon (I think it's marsh cave) and go north and collect a bunch of treasure, return to town and then do the dungeon for real by going south. Die when the treasure chest at the bottom has 9 piscodemons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Oh wait or are they mind flayers

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

I thought they were just wizards :shrug:

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
They're "original creations" tm do not steal.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

sponges posted:

The Thief is so awful in 1 but I don’t want to restart
I feel sorry for the black mage. Having enough magic for one strong encounter or a few of the dozens of encounters you face on your way to the boss, without a way to recover magic. The PS port saved him from being such a bench-warmer.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
I'd dodge lightning for five hundred years before racing the chocobo trainer even once more.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Scalding Coffee posted:

I feel sorry for the black mage. Having enough magic for one strong encounter or a few of the dozens of encounters you face on your way to the boss, without a way to recover magic. The PS port saved him from being such a bench-warmer.

It's way beyond that. Black mages are insanely OP in the PSP version.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

killer credits sequence for ffxv. ready to play as my sweet boys in theatrhythm

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

welcome posted:

I'd dodge lightning for five hundred years before racing the chocobo trainer even once more.

I feel like I used up all my good luck for 10 years because I got the Sun Sigil on my second try. And it's definitely not skill because I took way more tries than that on each of the training games before it.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
The way I always play FF1 is to attempt to low-level the game until I get the air ship before Marlith and get the class change ASAP

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

:yeshaha:

FF1: Fighter/Thief/White Mage/Black Mage for life!!

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

So, XV is good to play now?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

It was always good

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Every time I think about playing FFXIII I look at all the ridiculous words in the basic setup and my eyes glaze over.

Sekenr posted:

So, XV is good to play now?

There's one more piece of DLC coming on March 26th, but you can probably start now and it'll be out before you get up to there, I assume.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Is there any real point to collecting a ton of cards in FF8? I saw a guide about playing a shitload of people in Balamb Garden to get rare cards but are they actually useful in the game or is it just an OCD collector thing?

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

MikeJF posted:

Every time I think about playing FFXIII I look at all the ridiculous words in the basic setup and my eyes glaze over.

you mean... the three of them? I sure hope you managed to get Avalanche through the Mako reactor made by the Shinra corporation, or the SeeDs in Balamb Garden

Elephant Ambush posted:

Is there any real point to collecting a ton of cards in FF8? I saw a guide about playing a shitload of people in Balamb Garden to get rare cards but are they actually useful in the game or is it just an OCD collector thing?

you can mod them for rare items which can get you high level spells earlier than you might otherwise be able to. if you don't like the card game or don't want to grind cards forever, there's little point though because the game's not hard enough to require it.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Elephant Ambush posted:

The card game is better than the actual game. That's not a dig on FF8, triple triad is just real good. Otherwise yeah, rare cards can be used to optimally break the game if you're into that.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Triple Triad is great...so long it not random plus elemental sudden death close.

[edit]

So in the side game section in the OP. Should I even bother with mentioning the now dead or unplayable ones, like the various mobile ones that are now delisted and shutdown, or those two Crystal Chronicles games on the Wiiware that are unbuyable now after the Wii Shop was shut down. Right now it has a entry on the FF7 Turk prequel from the previous OP, but there is no way to play it now I guess.

Rirse fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Mar 23, 2019

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
The worst rule is Direct.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

There's a fun Triple Triad sidequest in Balamb Garden where you have to beat all the members of the secret card club but I don't remember if there's a reward except more rare cards

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Help Im Alive posted:

There's a fun Triple Triad sidequest in Balamb Garden where you have to beat all the members of the secret card club but I don't remember if there's a reward except more rare cards

Think it just more rewards. I forget if they join you on the airship in disc 4 if you don't do the quest.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Rirse posted:

Triple Triad is great...so long it not random plus elemental sudden death close.

[edit]

So in the side game section in the OP. Should I even bother with mentioning the now dead or unplayable ones, like the various mobile ones that are now delisted and shutdown, or those two Crystal Chronicles games on the Wiiware that are unbuyable now after the Wii Shop was shut down. Right now it has a entry on the FF7 Turk prequel from the previous OP, but there is no way to play it now I guess.

Until Tactics is there, you have no business writing anything else.

Once Tactics is there, you have no need for writing anything else.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Trasson posted:

:hai:

I'm probably going to skip the FF8 card game stuff. I don't find it fun and I don't want to grind any more than I have to after turning all those fish into cards for AP.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Elephant Ambush posted:

:hai:

I'm probably going to skip the FF8 card game stuff. I don't find it fun and I don't want to grind any more than I have to after turning all those fish into cards for AP.

please don't grind in FFVIII for any reason (cards, AP, exp). there's virtually no benefit to carding enemies and as long as you're setting GF abilities yourself and not letting the game pick your abilities (because it prioritises stupid things like SumMag+10%), you're going to get all the useful GF abilities just fine.

if you just play TT after getting some of the rare cards, as a diversion every now and then, it's a fun mini-game, probably one of the best in the series. especially if you have Same/Plus without all the bad rules like random/direct/etc.

Rirse posted:

Think it just more rewards. I forget if they join you on the airship in disc 4 if you don't do the quest.

they do not (at least that's how I remember it). so if you want the ability to play them for rare cards, you need to do their quest before then.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdsqEurMd2I

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

check it out got the plat in 100 hours what are the odds

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
someday I'm going to boot that game up again. but it bugged out when I left Costlemark and I couldn't use any items anywhere. I wonder if they ever fixed that.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Trasson posted:

Tactics is on there now.

Rirse fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Mar 24, 2019

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
They just announced a new character for Dissidia NT. I like this game, and am literally playing it right now, and I'm still surprised.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
It better be loving Benjamin.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Cleretic posted:

They just announced a new character for Dissidia NT. I like this game, and am literally playing it right now, and I'm still surprised.

It's popular in arcades still and they said from the start they just want to keep on adding characters as long as they can

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Mega64 posted:

It better be loving Benjamin.
It's Zenos yae Galvus.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdvVa2KFX48

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

You're allowed to be underwhelmed, he's the lamest possible choice of FFXIV villain.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Booky posted:

:yeshaha:

FF1: Fighter/Thief/White Mage/Black Mage for life!!

Fighter / Fighter / Red / Thief, on NES anyway.

:ussr:

derra fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Mar 24, 2019

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

As an FF14 player I am so loving sick of this guy.

They seriously hyped him up like crazy and he just turned out to be Diet Luca Blight.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yuCib9jVvI

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
zenos loving owns

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

...he has a katana golf caddy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
it spins too