Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Alxprit posted:

Action RPGs are good. Turn-based RPGs are also good. I bet FFXVI will be fine. That's just my opinion though.

what the gently caress??? ???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Mega64 posted:

I prefer turn-based and all, but FF has clearly went towards action RPG for years now, and that's fine because the series does whatever from game to game anyway, and there's still plenty of alternatives.

the issue with FF's gradual oozing into the action-rpg genre for me has not been the fact that they're abandoning turn-based(even though I enjoy it) but rather the fact that they're not abandoning it and continue to frankenstein their old ATB gameplay elements into their new attempted action systems, resulting in action combat which is incredibly clunky and awkward. and also they don't know how to make a good action combat system to save their lives and playing them requires you to engage in spontaneous WWE superslam showdowns with the camera every 30 seconds to earn the right to see what the gently caress is going on instead of the inside of a tree or 8 specific hairs on the back of the protagonist's head.

my previous take on this was that their design goals were fundamentally unworkable, this poo poo just does not mesh and the best they can hope for is something like XIII's "It's just ATB but you have to do it fast" but then FF7R turned out to actually work and be pretty fun. lt still shows some strong evidence of their unwillingness/inability to make a pure action system like the air combat is atrocious and you don't have a jump button and you still need to dickpunch the camera every once in a while, but it now looks like something that has the potential to actually be really good as opposed to being a miserable hodge-podge of directly contradictory systems which offends god merely by existing.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Idkbutlike2 posted:

I just hope they bring back something like the Gambit system from XII for the party members you don't control. For once I'd like an ARPG where the party members you don't control directly aren't borderline useless dipshits half the time.

:yeah:
I've been replaying XII on the switch and I honestly kind of love micromanaging gambits then seeing the results in battle. I didn't really have any issues with the guys in XV being useless though, they carried a lot of the fights while I farted around trying to do moves or take photos. Even with its flaws I love XV; I got so attached to those boys. It's like a fujoshi dream game tbh.

I don't really want to play as a female character in most rpgs honestly. Just make the guys hot and I'm happy. I'm actually pretty excited about getting to play as an older version of the main character, I really loved that part of XV as well, seeing the older versions of the guys and one of my actual disappointments with that game was how limited that part of it was, so I'd love to see something like, the younger version is more of a prologue and then you play the rest of the game as the bitter grizzled version.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I loved the Gambit system, but my main issue was that barring a couple of fights, you could really just power through the entire game (and almost all the post-game) with the standard attack/heal/buff Gambits.

It was pretty sweet like, setting up a black mage to target elemental weaknesses and such, but once you get to the point where Scathe just one-shots everything it's kind of moot.

e: I'm almost positive I beat Yiazmat with just Attack/Bubble/Hastega/Arise Gambits spread out appropriately

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I think it shines the most when you need to do something specific -- for instance I was doing a lot of poaching for a while to get some materials to trade in for bazaar stuff, and having my poaching team set up with Foe: HP Critical - Poach gambits meant nobody was killing anything before it could be poached.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Harrow posted:

If nothing else, it looks like the budget/development time ballooning stuff might not be happening this time. Early reports suggest FFXVI might actually have a pretty normal dev cycle, and not "Final Fantasy" normal but just, like, functional studio normal. If that's the case then it makes sense, given it's Yoshida's division. He's not directing, sure, but I can't imagine that, after being so hands-on in rescuing one of Square Enix's most high-profile debacles, he'd let things get out of hand on his watch.

All of that remains to be seen, of course, but it would also explain why the graphics in the trailer aren't completely insane, too. It looked good, but realistic, like they're not shooting for the moon this time--they just want to make a good game and release it without burning piles of money for a decade.

Yoshida gave a talk to GDC about problems with FF14 1.0, and one of the things he identified with it was an overemphasis on the graphics... and I think that applies to single-player ones, too. Like 15 had this amazing pre-render CG to introduce a city area it... basically did nothing with? And 13 has some cutscenes with return to whatever that floating world is called that just kind of don't make sense? Imagine how much effort went into those, both in games where it was clear they didn't really know what the heck where they were doing, to the point where one figured out the ending from logo art and the other had to have basically a new game cobbled together from pieces?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
FFXV had these lovingly rendered meals and the most I remember them is Ignis going “I’ve come up with a new recipeh”

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

thetoughestbean posted:

FFXV had these lovingly rendered meals and the most I remember them is Ignis going “I’ve come up with a new recipeh”

if you cook the stinky tofu recipe then the post-cooking scene shows gladio and ignis gleefully chowing down while noct and prompto struggle not to vomit/cry

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

thetoughestbean posted:

This is the whole game though so it's not unusual that it sticks out in your mind.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

While I appreciate the foods in FFXV it definitely cost many millions of dollars and a lot of time to build which isn’t a great look for a game that spent like 15 years making nice rocks and then ran out of dev time near the end.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
If they already showed us the main female lead in FFXVI, and she's the arrogant, vampish Dominant of Shiva, then that would own. At the very least, Shiva tends to be one of the most heroic and plot-relevant summons in recent Final Fantasies, and her design in this one is elaborate and eye-catching in a way that makes me think 'protagonist', particularly compared to Ifrit and Titan. My guess is that Shiva's Dominant, whoever she is, is going to be key to the male protagonist getting his groove back after his time bodyguarding Joshua goes horribly wrong and he ends up as the god-hunting mercenary hobo we see at the start.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

She's the female lead, you heard it here first.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

the protagonist being a mercenary reminds me of Ramza falling in with Gafgarion's troop after things went south with the Order of the Northern Sky

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Getting a LOT of Tactics vibes from what we've seen. The protagonist fits the role of Ramza, the men with the tattoo being his Gaffgarion and Radd group, Start of the game is likely what we spend as young 'nd handsome, with Ifrit murdering Phoenix being his Argus moment.

https://mobile.twitter.com/aitaikimochi/status/1306505841088950272

Also this.

EDIT: GOD drat IT

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Darth Walrus posted:

If they already showed us the main female lead in FFXVI, and she's the arrogant, vampish Dominant of Shiva, then that would own.

I'm getting too much of a Yotsuya vibe from her to believe she's anything but a villain.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Terper posted:

Not sure - that character design seems a little drab for a protagonist who's supposed to stand out in a pitched high fantasy battle. I'm thinking 'secondary character tied into Joshua's tragedy'.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Terper posted:

My guess is she’s the protagonist’s sister and she isn’t leaving the prologue alive

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Darth Walrus posted:

Not sure - that character design seems a little drab for a protagonist who's supposed to stand out in a pitched high fantasy battle. I'm thinking 'secondary character tied into Joshua's tragedy'.
If there's one thing Business Division 3 loves it's costume changes after pivotal moments so I wouldn't let a trailer outfit really guide you on who is or isn't going to be what.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

What if she ends up being the Shiva dominant and the protagonist betrays his mercenary group to take her side?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

zedprime posted:

If there's one thing Business Division 3 loves it's costume changes after pivotal moments so I wouldn't let a trailer outfit really guide you on who is or isn't going to be what.

https://i.imgur.com/tAzPqi6.mp4

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Darth Walrus posted:

If they already showed us the main female lead in FFXVI, and she's the arrogant, vampish Dominant of Shiva, then that would own.

Vamp lady has a really interesting face and she smokes and looks really cool. I hope she becomes a party member.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Shiva also has blonde hair and a similar face to the vamp lady, so I suspect they're related in some regard.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
We are never going to see turn based combat in a mainline series game ever again, huh

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Cleretic posted:

I like Lightning Returns a lot, I just wish the quality and perception of the XIII series wasn't so far into the toilet that it sounds like a joke to people when I say that.

As mentioned earlier, lightning returns is a pretty important inspiration for FF7R's gameplay

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

We are never going to see turn based combat in a mainline series game ever again, huh

You wouldn’t want it. That’s why Bravely games and DQ exist now. They both do it better than FF games (except for graphics).

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I want to like DQ so bad, because it seems like I should, but it just feels like I’m playing someone’s RPG Maker game where they used nothing but the default assets.

Like, I get that being a bog-standard JRPG is its thing, but it really makes me realize how clunky turn based combat feels now.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Cleretic posted:

I haven't played it. But I feel like I've got every single piece of evidence I can be expected to have that isn't playing it. I've seen gameplay of it, and I've played the three games that it keeps getting compared to (but only one per person, and if someone uses one comparison game they hate the notion of comparing it to the other two): FFXV, Dragon's Dogma, and Monster Hunter World.

I disliked all three of those games. In fact I outright hated FFXV and Drogma, and... honestly, the reason I wasn't at that scale for MHW wasn't because the combat was better, but because there was at least one thing I actually enjoyed that the combat supported. And honestly, it wasn't even a big thing; I just thought the Barroth was a neat monster, and I kind of enjoyed fighting it.

I also hated ff15 and dragons dogma and ff7r has the best combat of any action rpg period (minus souls games)

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

My main complaint is that face tattoos are fuckin’ dumb. And these ones look fuckin’ dumb.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Tall Tale Teller posted:

My main complaint is that face tattoos are fuckin’ dumb. And these ones look fuckin’ dumb.

since they all have the same one it seems like it's a brand or the visual manifestation of some sort of curse maybe? clearly they've been marked as "something" so it's probably plot relevant and not (entirely) just cool tattoo bro

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

As mentioned earlier, lightning returns is a pretty important inspiration for FF7R's gameplay

Then I wish it was... just Lightning Returns gameplay, then.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Cleretic posted:

Then I wish it was... just Lightning Returns gameplay, then.

I mean, the core differences are:

- you move around in 3D space instead of movement not being part of the combat, and
- you switch between your characters instead of between different outfit loadouts

Obviously there are more differences than that but if you take Lightning Returns and add "move around" and "more than one character rather than more than one loadout on one character," you'd have something that looks a lot like FF7R. This is especially true if you use "Classic" mode so that it automates the standard Square-button attacks you use while you wait to spend ATB bars on your real moves. It even emphasizes well-timed blocking as a major part of the combat.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Everything Burrito posted:

since they all have the same one it seems like it's a brand or the visual manifestation of some sort of curse maybe? clearly they've been marked as "something" so it's probably plot relevant and not (entirely) just cool tattoo bro

Oh god no!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Everything Burrito posted:

Yeah, it's a brand. I think they might actually be a penal unit or something, which is probably the best (read: most hideously logical) reason for facial markings.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

The project hasn't lived long enough for the team to just throw things at the wall to see what works, so the weird stuff hasn't been introduced yet.

If it can be delayed for 5 years or so, we'll get the weird poo poo we know from the franchise.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Azubah posted:

The project hasn't lived long enough for the team to just throw things at the wall to see what works, so the weird stuff hasn't been introduced yet.

If it can be delayed for 5 years or so, we'll get the weird poo poo we know from the franchise.

I mean, flying a whale to the moon happened within IV’s 12 month dev cycle.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Darth Walrus posted:

Yeah, it's a brand. I think they might actually be a penal unit or something, which is probably the best (read: most hideously logical) reason for facial markings.

I hope the protagonist summons Stardust Dragon

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

thetoughestbean posted:

I hope the protagonist summons Stardust Dragon

FF7/7r gave us motorcycle segments/enemies/bosses. Let's just go full on Motorcycle Final Fantasy imo.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Ventana posted:

FF7/7r gave us motorcycle segments/enemies/bosses. Let's just go full on Motorcycle Final Fantasy imo.

God I miss Roche. :(

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
FF13 had the best of both worlds, a summon that turned into a motorcycle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Motorcycles are old news - I'm all about Titan riding his iconic quad bike (???) in XIV