Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Veib posted:

Everyone knows the most compelling FF villain is Exdeath, an evil tree who ambushed the party by becoming a splinter and sticking in one of their fingers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

Phoenix is pretty important in XIV, where it saves the world from Bahamut in the transition from 1.0 to A Realm Reborn. It's why it's your ultimate summon as a Summoner in Shadowbringers.

FF14 doesn’t count because it requires interacting with other people, something a true final fantasy fan would never do

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Attitude Indicator posted:

FF14 doesn’t count because it requires interacting with other people, something a true final fantasy fan would never do

You can quite safely get through the main story without saying a word to another player and just pretending they're AI companions in dungeons.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006
I'm playing through FF7 (original) and I'm not sure when to cast summons. It seems like magic damage with an all materia plays a similar role?

ROFLburger fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Sep 20, 2020

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
When you want to see a cool animation, cast a summon.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I watched a streamer play FFX this year and after she pointed out Seymour has Dadbod, I can't unsee it

A great villain just got better.

Helps if you assume he summons anima to solve every problem. Fiends? Anima. Need another beer? Anima. Mow the lawn? Anima.

Sin isn't really a villain but also good.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The thing that struck me about Sin is how passive it is. The only times in the entire game that it actively attacks people is during operation Mi'ihen, when it's defending itself from attack, and during the boss fight where you're actively attacking it. Every other time it hurts people it's seemingly accidental: it travels around visiting Tidus and Zanarkand and Kilika seemingly get hosed up just by proximity, as Sin has some sort of aura of destruction, and sinspawn drop of it uncontrollably. Everybody in Spira who actually knows what's up calls Sin Yu Yevon's armor, not his weapon: Sin's purpose was defensive.

There's probably some element of the aeon currently forming Sin playing a part in the personality of the current incarnation, though. Jecht doesn't want to gently caress Spira up, so he doesn't (though his impulse to visit Tidus does cause some accidental destruction). Seymour wants to destroy Spira if he becomes Yuna's final aeon, and there's every reason to believe he would be able to shape Sin's actions enough to go on a rampage.

It's an interesting dynamic, I think.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Much as i hate Buffy Season 6, I always remember Joss Whedon saying Season 6 didn't have a "Big Bad" like The Mayor or Angelus. The real villain of S6 was Life. That's more or less how I see FFX. There is no Sephiroth or Kuja who is the clear, definitive malicious core of why everything is bad. Seymour isn't the main villain, neither is Sin or the Yevon Church. The system, the Spiral of Death, is the real "villain" of the story and all these other people are just playing into it and are, in some ways, just victims of it like everybody else.

Fuckin' love FFX. It's so ubelievavably great in every way. I still think its rather unique narrative structure where there was one, singular goal from start to finish sets it apart.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

The thing that struck me about Sin is how passive it is. The only times in the entire game that it actively attacks people is during operation Mi'ihen, when it's defending itself from attack, and during the boss fight where you're actively attacking it. Every other time it hurts people it's seemingly accidental: it travels around visiting Tidus and Zanarkand and Kilika seemingly get hosed up just by proximity, as Sin has some sort of aura of destruction, and sinspawn drop of it uncontrollably. Everybody in Spira who actually knows what's up calls Sin Yu Yevon's armor, not his weapon: Sin's purpose was defensive.

There's probably some element of the aeon currently forming Sin playing a part in the personality of the current incarnation, though. Jecht doesn't want to gently caress Spira up, so he doesn't (though his impulse to visit Tidus does cause some accidental destruction). Seymour wants to destroy Spira if he becomes Yuna's final aeon, and there's every reason to believe he would be able to shape Sin's actions enough to go on a rampage.

It's an interesting dynamic, I think.

The fatal flaw to Seymour's plan - and I think this was intentional, to demonstrate how warped his mind is - was his belief he and Yuna could form a bond strong enough to defeat Sin. Even by Gagazet where she actively hates him and he keeps murdering people, he's talking about becoming her Final Aeon when he knows full well a Final Aeon needs an incredibly strong bond of love to have the power to defeat Sin. And then bythe end when he's absorbed by Sin he changes his tune to "I will learn to control it from within....somehow!"

When you meet his mom (who is a terrible person who told her son he ha to die to be accepted by Spira) and she talks about Seymour's obsession with Sin, she wasn't kidding. There's no rationality left in Semour after a while, he just can't stop fixating on becoming Sin and ending the suffering of Spira. In his own demented way he also wanted to put an end to the Spiral of Death.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
It'd be neat if some ancillary piece of FF media came up with designs for final aeons based on Yuna's guardians, imo

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I wanna see Final Boss Wakka

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Veib posted:

Everyone knows the most compelling FF villain is Exdeath, an evil tree who became sentient and turned into a wizard

Exdeath is the most efficient villain, every scene he gets is either to hate him more, or kick his rear end.

Lazy Fair
Sep 23, 2019

grieving for Gandalf posted:

every time someone posts FF14 music is ends up being bad EDM with funny vocals or someone posted a literal live ska performance lol. what aren't I hearing

If you want some old school FF music with epic orchestras and grandiose latin vocals 14 has some good ones! People just don't really talk about them as much as the more experimental stuff.

Final Omega's theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYDj-L5Aeyk
Final Nidhogg theme:: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jis77B42hQk
Final Hades theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0EclQnw5L0 (this one was linked before but it was in the back-half of the video so you might have missed it)

Bonus overlooked song from 5.3, Terncliff: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJ-7PBwzhDo

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Vikar Jerome posted:

So, i got the trial on psn for 14, but theres no trophies showing up, will i get them all retroactivally when/if i buy the full game? Or will the counters be set to zero for the do 1000 of thing, ones? I plan to gently caress around on the ultros server and see if i like it enough to go all in first.

To answer this, yeah, you just have to do the thing that makes it 'check' that trophy again. i.e., doing one levequest makes it check to see if you've done 100 or whatever the trophy was.

I did the majority of the trophy work on PC and then got the PS3 version and it was all retroactive.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

It'd be neat if some ancillary piece of FF media came up with designs for final aeons based on Yuna's guardians, imo

But... Tidus is her final aeon

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

No one is her final aeon, that's the point. They had stopped accepting the necessity of sacrifice by that point.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
yeah this would be firmly an alt universe excuse to draw them as aeons

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Late but I think Kefka's primary value as a villain is just thematically specific to FF6. In a game about hope and the will to live and moving forward, here's this cackling nihilist who believes in nothing and burned down the world because gently caress it, why not. The party's entire existence and struggle is a rebuttal to the idea that nothing matters. It's why when they stare him down and throw this in his face Kefka finally just drops the clown act and tries to kill them himself.

So I think Kefka is a really good villain, but entirely in the context of what he represents in FF6's storyline.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Barudak posted:

But... Tidus is her final aeon

Nah, tidus is her second aeon

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Rikku pilots a gundam, obviously.

Wakka becomes the fire monster from Moana but throws blitzballs instead.

Tidus becomes morpha with a sword. Resting state is a blitzball arena.

Auron becomes Gilgamesh, complete with the music.

Lulu is a giant belt rack with various magic coming out of each belt.

Kimahri just gets a new horn. That's it.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Blockhouse posted:

Late but I think Kefka's primary value as a villain is just thematically specific to FF6. In a game about hope and the will to live and moving forward, here's this cackling nihilist who believes in nothing and burned down the world because gently caress it, why not. The party's entire existence and struggle is a rebuttal to the idea that nothing matters. It's why when they stare him down and throw this in his face Kefka finally just drops the clown act and tries to kill them himself.

So I think Kefka is a really good villain, but entirely in the context of what he represents in FF6's storyline.

Kefka’s a goon, but fun to be around

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Kefka rules because he doesn't try to pretend he's something that he's not. He could give a gently caress about anything, at all, ever. And he represents this from the beginning. Just, like, whatever. Burn it down it doesn't matter.

He's also one of the few villains who's completely arbitrary about their decision to be evil. Or, at least, to do evil things with no appeal for sympathy. Even Sephiroth is like 'who am I? A motherless virgin!?' before burning down villages or whatever. But Kefka? He knows who he is.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I dunno if this person is inclined to do Ultimate but I hope they at least get to see The Epic of Alexander (Ultimate)'s final form reveal

Spoilers obviously:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeKbCcq9gT8

From a couple pages back but I love this video because Alexander in FFXIV is (HW Raid story spoilers) a God with the ability to manipulate time. In the normal final showdown with him you have to do a mechanic where he opens time portals and sends killer robots into them to go gank your parents so you are never born and you have to jump in after the robots and kill them to save yourself. In the super extra ultraboss difficulty version of the fight this is a video of, if you take too long to beat him during his final phase, he has a super dramatic move where he kills your party by trapping them in a time paradox and then deleting every possible timeline where you exist. You can see that happening in this video at the end; They're all sealed away and he's erasing them from existence, but the animation is so long that the dots they stuck kill him before it finishes and they win lmao

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

cheetah7071 posted:

I saw a neat fan interpretation of Tidus as a Fayth as as the Leviathan Final Aeon. Originals by this person.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Blockhouse posted:

He's a force of nature to strive against. Pretty much literally in the World of Ruin.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Emperor Gestahl is a dog and you can't convince me otherwise

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

WaltherFeng posted:

Emperor Gestahl is a dog and you can't convince me otherwise

He is

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Cleretic posted:

Exdeath is the most efficient villain, every scene he gets is either to hate him more, or kick his rear end.

Exdeath is a pretty underrated villain since “Your viscera shall see the light of day” is honestly a pretty great catchphrase.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Last Celebration posted:

Exdeath is a pretty underrated villain since “Your viscera shall see the light of day” is honestly a pretty great catchphrase.

I thought his catchphrase was “Turtle!”

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

"We're gonna stop you Exdeath!"
"Do you fools even know what I'm doing?"
"...well, no..."

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

stev posted:

You can quite safely get through the main story without saying a word to another player and just pretending they're AI companions in dungeons.

I actually did play through the 2.0 part some years ago. It was pretty fun. But i spoke to no one!!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Last Celebration posted:

I think he's actually fairly popular in Japan. FFV is in general, really, but there's a reason that he always gets to be a big player in the Dissidia games.

And I'll always say that his type of villainy was REALLY important for a game like FFV, which is balanced around expecting you to go all-out and finding the true potential of the tools it gives you, rather than designing challenge around the assumption your choices won't be optimal (basically FFV vs. FFVI). Exdeath is a dick, one that the game never affords any sympathy, because the game wants you to go all-out and not feel bad for it. Whereas it's entirely possible to go into ridiculous overkill against Kefka, but you just kinda feel bad about it, which is... I think also intentional.

It's interesting to compare the 'softer' Final Fantasies with stuff like Shin Megami Tensei for that; SMT constantly pitting you against inhuman monsters, in part so you don't feel bad for busting out your most insane firepower. The Bravely games are an interesting comparison, too; they'll humanize major enemies only after you kick their rear end, so you still bring everything to bear but only feel bad for it afterwards.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Sep 20, 2020

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ExDeath isnt a complex character but he's a cool evil wizard with a good design and a bonkers backstory. For a game like FF5 that's all you really need.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

Endorph posted:

ExDeath isnt a complex character but he's a cool evil wizard with a good design and a bonkers backstory. For a game like FF5 that's all you really need.

I think FF3 being a sort of half-baked first draft of FF5 aligns well with this, as the Cloud of Darkness is not nearly as cool.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Both of ExDeath‘s battle themes loving slap too.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

bewilderment posted:

I saw a neat fan interpretation of Tidus as a Fayth as as the Leviathan Final Aeon. Originals by this person.

I never considered that the Final Aeon was not just Jecht but also a classic FF summon. Who is he, Titan?

Edit: just thinking about this made me realize that Sin is kind of evil Alexander.

Agents are GO! fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Sep 20, 2020

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Speaking of the Final Aeon, am I the only one who prefers the PS2 version of Otherworld that plays during the fight? It’s much more...MIDI, but it just feels cooler to me. They replaced it in the remastered versions with the proper song.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

HD DAD posted:

Both of ExDeath‘s battle themes loving slap too.

FFV is my favorite of the old FFs. Everything about it holds up.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

HD DAD posted:

Speaking of the Final Aeon, am I the only one who prefers the PS2 version of Otherworld that plays during the fight? It’s much more...MIDI, but it just feels cooler to me. They replaced it in the remastered versions with the proper song.

The remixed soundtrack is a mixed bag. Some of the tracks like the more robust battle theme are better, but they messed up the Besaid village theme and Kilika Woods bigtime. I think I prefer the original OST overall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I pretty much universally prefer the original soundtrack. The only remaster song I prefer is this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6rmwTGb5NU

Also thinking of versions of Otherworld
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90nyB9dKjG8

Haven't listened to this in like ten years. I remember hating it and it's definitely not as good as the original but it sure is something.