Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
who the hell gets this mad about a guy being named clive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

People mad that they flushed hitlers sperm down a toilet after they raised the titanic

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Sakurazuka posted:

I'm glad you've played the game and know all this already

I'm specifically not basing this on any knowledge whatsoever, Clive gives me literally nothing to be excited about off the bat. And by 'off the bat', I literally mean the first instant of a character impression.

Cecil, since he was brought up beforehand? The literal first seconds of the game are him in sweet Dark Knight armor commanding an airship, that's a pretty rad starting point.
Firion? Interesting name that could maybe mean things, interesting and visually appealing design. His first moment is getting his face plastered against the ground by the Empire, if nothing else that's a noteworthy opener.
Cloud? Big sword's kinda dumb, sure, but it's a striking image, and 'Cloud' is a surprisingly good name for a protagonist.
Butz' name is Butz, I'm confused by anyone who hears that and doesn't at least want to hear the next few sentences.

But Clive? Clive is BRUTALLY normal, he looks and sounds like someone that'd corner me at a bar to tell me a lot of things about prestige TV. Like I said, they've got a lot of room for redemption here, but you're starting on the back foot with Clive.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Oct 29, 2020

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Cleretic posted:

I'm specifically not basing this on any knowledge whatsoever, Clive gives me literally nothing to be excited about off the bat. And by 'off the bat', I literally mean the first instant of a character impression.

Cecil, since he was brought up beforehand? The literal first seconds of the game are him in sweet Dark Knight armor commanding an airship, that's a pretty rad starting point.
Firion? Interesting name that could maybe mean things, interesting and visually appealing design. His first moment is getting his face plastered against the ground by the Empire, if nothing else that's a noteworthy opener.
Cloud? Big sword's kinda dumb, sure, but it's a striking image, and 'Cloud' is a surprisingly good name for a protagonist.
Butz' name is Butz, I'm confused by anyone who hears that and doesn't at least want to hear the next few sentences.

But Clive? Clive is BRUTALLY normal, he looks and sounds like someone that'd corner me at a bar to tell me a lot of things about prestige TV. Like I said, they've got a lot of room for redemption here, but you're starting on the back foot with Clive.

Oh my god nobody cares.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

"Heard you were talkin poo poo."
\

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Cleretic posted:

You're insane

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

The Grand Duchy of Rosaria made me think this was a stealth Ivalice game for a minute with the Rozarrian Empire in 12.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Everyone in FF2 had normal people names as well, so this means FF16 will have the same leveling system as that. Can’t wait to grind the teleport spell!

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

exquisite tea posted:

Oh my god nobody cares.

Cecil isnt an interesting name. I've got a half dozen uncles and cousins with it. It is just a slightly older name that's fallen out of use. It's like saying Leonard or Margeret or Margey are interesting and could be laden with meaning.

I think cleretic is doing their bit where they try to twist literally any thing to justify why they sont like something given their previous posts about ff16.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Oct 29, 2020

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Cleretic posted:

Mad about Clive

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Feel bad for all the clives itt

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Clive and let Clive, I always say.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Ceodore Harvey

e: This is Final Fantasy, so it's probably pronounced clih-vay.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

I wish my name was Clive so I could play this sweet new final fantasy game with main character named after me

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Clive Barker's Hell Raiser series villain Pinhead would have a field day with Cleretic's posts.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Remember when pre-release stuff about ff7 was coming out and everybody assumed his name was claude but it turned out to be cloud after all and everyone was like wtf? Man I remember that

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

fridge corn posted:

I wish my name was Clive so I could play this sweet new final fantasy game with main character named after me

Weren't you born in the UK? That's like a 50/50 chance.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Getting serious FFXI/XIV vibes off the world/countries lore at https://na.finalfantasyxvi.com/world/

lol though at

quote:

The Iron Kingdom

A small group of islands off the coast of Storm, the western half of Valisthea's twin realms. Here the Crystalline Orthodox, an extreme faith that worships crystals, reigns supreme. The Iron Kingdom controls Drake's Breath, the Mothercrystal that sits at the heart of one of their islands—long a source of contention with neighboring Rosaria. Isolated and aloof from the mainland nations, the Ironblood speak their own language. Orthodox doctrine judges Dominants to be unholy abominations, and any unlucky enough to be born on the islands are executed.

https://gameofthrones.fandom.com/wiki/Ironborn
:thunk:

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
I think Clive is a good name :shobon:

I also think Cecil is a good name, but I never heard of a Cecil until FF4

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Cecil isnt an interesting name. I've got a half dozen uncles and cousins with it. It is just a slightly older name that's fallen out of use. It's like saying Leonard or Margeret or Margey are interesting and could be laden with meaning.

I think cleretic is doing their bit where they try to twist literally any thing to justify why they sont like something given their previous posts about ff16.

I didn't defend Cecil as an interesting name, I think that's also a pretty boring name. But at the same time it's also exactly perfect for that character, the name 'Cecil' just has a very specific vibe to me that exactly fits that character.

And I'm making completely earnest observations and guesses about these characters. Jill is absolutely going to either be the standout of the first act, or dead before the tutorial messages stop. Joshua gives me nothing but 'obscure post-SotN Castlevania' vibes. And Clive gives me absolutely nothing except for bafflement at why they'd specifically pick 'Clive', a name you wouldn't pick without meaning to, but at least to me, only means 'tedious white guy'.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Cleretic posted:

I didn't defend Cecil as an interesting name, I think that's also a pretty boring name. But at the same time it's also exactly perfect for that character, the name 'Cecil' just has a very specific vibe to me that exactly fits that character.

And I'm making completely earnest observations and guesses about these characters. Jill is absolutely going to either be the standout of the first act, or dead before the tutorial messages stop. Joshua gives me nothing but 'obscure post-SotN Castlevania' vibes. And Clive gives me absolutely nothing except for bafflement at why they'd specifically pick 'Clive', a name you wouldn't pick without meaning to, but at least to me, only means 'tedious white guy'.

My dude this is a shitload of projection off the information being given

but better posters than me have tried already

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

exquisite tea posted:

Weren't you born in the UK? That's like a 50/50 chance.

Actually I was born in the states and moved to the UK later on, but I've got English parents so I do have a fairly English sounding name but its not Clive sadly

Afaik there has not been a video game character named after me :(

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Cleretic posted:

Source your quotes.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Clive is a perfectly good name.
Especially when it's going to be pronounced as Cleave. :unsmigghh:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cleretic posted:

'Clive', a name you wouldn't pick without meaning to, but at least to me, only means 'tedious white guy'.
dont sign your posts

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Endorph posted:

dont sign your posts

Hey, I'm a tedious white girl, that's different.

And I already got my FF protag, and was mad about that one too. Was super weird to hear Lightning's real name is 'Claire', but I understand what they were going for with it, that's a super norm-rear end name for someone who very clearly doesn't want that.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Oct 29, 2020

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Cleretic posted:

Hey, I'm a tedious white girl, that's different.

And I already got my FF protag, and was mad about that one too. Was super weird to hear Lightning's real name is 'Claire', but I understand what they were going for with it, that's a super norm-rear end name for someone who very clearly doesn't want that.

I would have guessed your name was Karen!!!!!!!!!!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Her name was Eclair in Japan

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Don’t worry, I’m sure there is some guy named Sleet or Hail or Microburst or something.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Attitude Indicator posted:

Don’t worry, I’m sure there is some guy named Sleet or Hail or Microburst or something.

Moon Unit would like a word.

dbzfandiego
Sep 17, 2011

Cleretic posted:

Just admit this game rubs you the wrong way at the outset, I mean I also don't like the general atheistic of this game and this new info is not changing that.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
yeah you can just say you dont like the vibe of the game or ust arent feeling it, you dont need to invent a logical reason for that. its fine to just not be interested for some vague, unexplainable reason.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Now this thread too can learn the joy of cleretics posting as we have in the ffxiv thread

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
The lore and names scream “we wanted a another Ivalice game, but we don’t have Matsuno on board, so here’s one with the serial numbers filed off”.

And I’m very okay with that.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

HD DAD posted:

The lore and names scream “we wanted a another Ivalice game, but we don’t have Matsuno on board, so here’s one with the serial numbers filed off”.

And I’m very okay with that.

IMO Yoshida is the next-best thing after Matsuno for an Ivalice-type game

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Huh, so Clive and Joshua are brothers? I assumed from the trailer that the protagonist was Joshua's bodyguard and a mercenary or something but not actually related to him. Interesting.

Also that is some Ivalice-rear end art and I am glad of it

Given that Clive is not a dominant I wonder how he starts being able to use the power of Eikons as we see him doing in combat. Mega Man-style stuff? Or maybe it's like FFXV where someone with great magical powers can bestow parts of their power on someone else (like Noctis with his friends). I'm curious to see.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Oct 29, 2020

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

dbzfandiego posted:

Just admit this game rubs you the wrong way at the outset, I mean I also don't like the general atheistic of this game and this new info is not changing that.

I already said that when the trailer came out. That's not changing, nor is anyone else's opinion on it, so I tried to have more fun by getting really specific with it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The fact that Mothercrystals are giant crystal mountains gives me some hope that we'll see some cool and pretty fantasy landscapes, which I know some people were worried about based on the muddy flatlands and fairly standard medieval castles we see in the first trailer.

Another detail from the official site: I see we're spelling it "magick" again, too

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Cleretic posted:

FF6's main character was originally named Tina.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Harrow posted:

Given that Clive is not a dominant I wonder how he starts being able to use the power of Eikons as we see him doing in combat. Mega Man-style stuff? Or maybe it's like FFXV where someone with great magical powers can bestow parts of their power on someone else (like Noctis with his friends). I'm curious to see.

According to the site descriptions he's granted the ability to use Phoenix's power as Joshua's guard, so you can have it just granted to you, though I'm assuming he's gonna end up taking some from antagonistic Dominants.