Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
jrpgs should return to explorable abstract world maps where towns are the size of your character

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Can’t wait for Square Enix RPG Clive A Clive

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Make the maps like Xenoblade; some effort to traverse but you got fast travel markers every so often, and you can explore off the beaten path and maybe find some cool poo poo, maybe get bulldozed by a level 120 Behemoth guarding a random bridge to somewhere you’ll never know until the end game

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
To be honest, I hate Open World games and don't really see the point, I'd much prefer curated, populated areas.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
https://twitter.com/aitaikimochi/status/1321806568468279296?s=21

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

all that product use is why the planet be like that

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The planet's dyin' its hair, Cloud.

JagerNinja
Sep 13, 2011

Steely-eyed Missile of a Man

Bonaventure posted:

jrpgs should return to explorable abstract world maps where towns are the size of your character

Only if I am treated in-game as a giant kaiju-sized monster who the people trust to save them even though I could kick over their castles without a thought.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

Final Fantasy Final

Death to all things Crystals, Summons, and your other favorite iconic mainstays. :black101:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

that's uhh...actually pretty much exactly how long it took/what products I used when I had liberty spikes as a dumb teen

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Bonaventure posted:

I agree, I'm also looking forward to Bravely Default 3: Bravely Default 2.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Bravely Default 2: Bravely Second 2

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

So, uh, we’re all in agreement that Jill is Shiva’s dominant, right?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Mywhatacleanturtle posted:

Don't we see her fighting in a battle in the trailer? She's probably the dominant for these guys:

Jill is from somewhere else entirely and raised with Clive and Joshua, I don't think they'd jam all the dominants together right off the bat like that.

JagerNinja
Sep 13, 2011

Steely-eyed Missile of a Man

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Don't we see her fighting in a battle in the trailer? She's probably the dominant for these guys:

Jill is from somewhere else entirely and raised with Clive and Joshua, I don't think they'd jam all the dominants together right off the bat like that.

Well, right, she's a ward from "somewhere else" which could be the Holy Empire. Since Clive ends up with a sick tattoo and a beard somewhere during the course of the game, I'm assuming that there's a time skip that potentially sees the former allies on opposing sides.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Nah, I'm still pretty sure she's dead as early as possible. Look at that bio and count the 'early death to motivate the hero/heroes' flags.

I'd prefer if she lived, and that she'd become relevant and preferably playable. But one of those people on the cast page is dead, and it's most likely her.

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

Her bio says she’s from a defunct state north of Rosaria and she’s basically a political hostage. She could even be Ifrit, sent there as a ticking time bomb.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

It's gonna be Good King Moggle Mog.

I loving know this, trust me on it.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Cleretic posted:

Nah, I'm still pretty sure she's dead as early as possible. Look at that bio and count the 'early death to motivate the hero/heroes' flags.

I'd prefer if she lived, and that she'd become relevant and preferably playable. But one of those people on the cast page is dead, and it's most likely her.

I’m still fairly convinced the sacrificial lamb is Joshua, given what we know so far.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

JagerNinja posted:

Only if I am treated in-game as a giant kaiju-sized monster who the people trust to save them even though I could kick over their castles without a thought.

I really home when you summon your giant monster to fight other giant monsters there's an option to turn on Japanese children singing your theme song.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Bruceski posted:

I really home when you summon your giant monster to fight other giant monsters there's an option to turn on Japanese children singing your theme song.

Bonus points if you get a Chocobo summon and have kids sing the Chocobo theme as your giant horsebird kicks the poo poo out of Bahamut.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

I’m still fairly convinced the sacrificial lamb is Joshua, given what we know so far.

We literally watch Ifrit tearing Phoenix apart with blood splattering everywhere while Clive screams "Joshua, Please wake up!" And in Japanese he screams "Stop, that's my younger brother!"

Joshua is the one who's going to die.

Also the Holy Empire's Dominant is almost assuredly Bahamut given their dragon heraldry and Waloed would be Odin because its heraldry is a 6 legged horse and Sleipner in FF is 6 legged, not 8.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Onmi posted:

We literally watch Ifrit tearing Phoenix apart with blood splattering everywhere while Clive screams "Joshua, Please wake up!" And in Japanese he screams "Stop, that's my younger brother!"

Joshua is the one who's going to die.

Also the Holy Empire's Dominant is almost assuredly Bahamut given their dragon heraldry and Waloed would be Odin because its heraldry is a 6 legged horse and Sleipner in FF is 6 legged, not 8.

The Holy Empire's flag shows a woman on a blue and white background. All of the Mothercrystals are named after body parts of a 'drake', so I would assume that Bahamut is the ultimate primal that will completely gently caress the world if it ever awakens, like the Ten-Tailed Beast in Naruto.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Hmmm. You know what name fits under that redaction? Ravana.

Come on FFXVI, let’s rejoice in the glory of combat! :black101:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Evil Fluffy posted:

Hmmm. You know what name fits under that redaction? Ravana.

Come on FFXVI, let’s rejoice in the glory of combat! :black101:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Mega64 posted:

It's gonna be Good King Moggle Mog.

I loving know this, trust me on it.

Oh no, my nose and feet :ohdear:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

The Holy Empire's flag shows a woman on a blue and white background. All of the Mothercrystals are named after body parts of a 'drake', so I would assume that Bahamut is the ultimate primal that will completely gently caress the world if it ever awakens, like the Ten-Tailed Beast in Naruto.

Maybe it's Shinryu

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Joking aside, this does remind me that I hope moogles are in, since we're not in "modern" settings that tend to make them mythical figures/toys

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

Woman, two dragons.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Onmi posted:

Woman, two dragons.

Makes me think of Ultima.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I wonder if there'll be multiple characters you control or if Clive just gets multiple eikon powers

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I wonder if there'll be multiple characters you control or if Clive just gets multiple eikon powers

I'm literally just dropping all goodwill and interest in this game if we don't get a playable character more interesting than Clive.

Preferably a woman, in my book we need some MAJOR course correction after XV, and 'you only get to play as men' is a big thing to steer away from.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Is it really the same thing if there's just one playable character?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Cindy should be playable

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

in 16 i mean

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Is it really the same thing if there's just one playable character?

To an extent that's actually worse, because then it's going against two central pieces of the FF series instead of just one. Final Fantasy's consistently had really solid female representation in its parties, but remember there's two parts of that sentence that are key: the female characters, and the having of parties. The only FF games that don't have a party system are sequels like Dirge of Cerberus and FFXIII-3.

Giving us Generic McWhiteGuy as a protagonist actually goes down even worse if you don't give us alternatives.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
clive final-fantasy looks cool and sexy and I'm excited to play his game

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Clive is Yoship if he was younger and less cool.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
It was pointed out to me that Clive is as normal a name as Cecil. I hope Clive takes another page from Cecil’s book and names his som Closhua

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

FF14 has one playable character

So does FF13 LR

This actually makes FF15's party system the aberration in the past 10 years