Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Bonaventure posted:

also not a roadtrip lol

After all the skill points I earned from driving everywhere, I should think a good deal of the first half is composed of roadtrips, and perhaps even chocobotrips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JagerNinja
Sep 13, 2011

Steely-eyed Missile of a Man

Lucas Archer posted:

Like I said, it's a love it/hate it type of game. By all rights I should not enjoy my time as much as I do when I play, but it has a weird charm that won me over. You might hate it and that would be perfectly reasonable because in a lot of respects, it is a Bad Game.

But when I hear Ignis say, "I've come up with a new reci-peh!", I can't help but smile.

This is where I land. If it's cheap, it's at least worth a look to see where you fall; I enjoyed driving across the countryside with the chocobros exploring dungeons.

Also I'm probably in the minority but I actually enjoy the combat? Oh, except for elemental magic; it has friendly fire and the ally AI is dumb as rocks, so they WILL kill everyone by casting an AOE blizzard right at your feet. Just never use it.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

FFXV had a lot of different battle themes, dependent on location and other circumstances (imperial encounters, hunts, etc.) and all of them were phenomenal. I wish the series did more of that.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
FFXV has some of the best inter-party dynamics in the entire series, one of the best villains, and a plot that might be shot completely full of holes but at least contains a solid ending

it was a messy disaster of a video game that still turned out far better than it should have

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

JagerNinja posted:

This is where I land. If it's cheap, it's at least worth a look to see where you fall; I enjoyed driving across the countryside with the chocobros exploring dungeons.

Also I'm probably in the minority but I actually enjoy the combat? Oh, except for elemental magic; it has friendly fire and the ally AI is dumb as rocks, so they WILL kill everyone by casting an AOE blizzard right at your feet. Just never use it.

The combat is passable. That is, unless you're fighting wasps or other flying enemies. Then it becomes absolute bullshit. Just hot garbage. gently caress flying enemies in FFXV.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

JagerNinja posted:

There's an accessory early on that prevents this kind of friendly fire.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

ROFL Octopus posted:

FFXV had a lot of different battle themes, dependent on location and other circumstances (imperial encounters, hunts, etc.) and all of them were phenomenal. I wish the series did more of that.

FF7R's dynamic shifting between exploration music and into location-specific battle themes is magic

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Oxxidation posted:

FFXV has some of the best inter-party dynamics in the entire series, one of the best villains, and a plot that might be shot completely full of holes but at least contains a solid ending

it was a messy disaster of a video game that still turned out far better than it should have

agreed on most of this, my only disagree is that Ardyn is a character with a really good backstory but in the game proper he just occasionally appears, walks around saying cryptic nonsense to you and then leaves

I didn't even realize he was supposed to be the main antagonist until the last hour of the game

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

FFXV is a very weak entry due to poor project management and it's kind of a shame because there's some good stuff in it, but nothing in it is really worth playing through it for

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I never actually got too far into XV so I only got to the part where I was like, how do none of these chucklefucks know what the Chancellor of the enemy empire looks like

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Character-wise Ardyn is Standard, Emet-Selch is Deluxe.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Oxxidation posted:

FFXV occupies the same space as Dragon's Dogma; a piece of work that exemplifies the phrase "greater than the sum of its parts."

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Oxxidation posted:

OK, this sounds alright. I think I'll give FFXV Royal cheap edition a try.

So here's a final question so that I keep my expectations in check. I think FFXIII was irredeemable garbage (and thus didn't bother with the sequels), what with between the poo poo character writing, nonsensical world, and its constant violation of "show don't tell" rule of basic story writing. These two games obviously don't compare directly since one is a corridor simulator and the other is sort of an open world affair, and the fact XV seems to have actual inter-party dynamics and a solid ending already put it above what I experienced in XIII ten years ago. Still, would you say FFXV in spite of its problems is a better (preferably, much better) experience than XIII?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Appropriate since FF16 is also Dragon's Dogma 2

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

Saoshyant posted:

So here's a final question so that I keep my expectations in check. I think FFXIII was irredeemable garbage (and thus didn't bother with the sequels), what with between the poo poo character writing, nonsensical world, and its constant violation of "show don't tell" rule of basic story writing. These two games obviously don't compare directly since one is a corridor simulator and the other is sort of an open world affair, and the fact XV seems to have actual inter-party dynamics and a solid ending already put it above what I experienced in XIII ten years ago. Still, would you say FFXV in spite of its problems is a better (preferably, much better) experience than XIII?

The only way I can think to answer this is I couldn't get past the first 5 hours of FFXIII. As I've already mentioned, I've beaten FFXV three times now and am currently doing a NG+ for my fourth run through.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Saoshyant posted:

imo the only thing 13 has on 15 is the combat

both of them were hail-mary attempts at pushing out a finished game after a disastrous dev cycle left them with nothing but floor scraps after years of work, but 15 doesn't drop you on rails (literally on rails, things start to go bad when you board a train) until about 2/3's of the way through, while 13 shuttled you along for the entire length. and no, pulse doesn't count! it was just a wider, fancier hallway in the end!

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Space Fish posted:

There's an accessory early on that prevents this kind of friendly fire.

That was either added in Royal or was a pre-order bonus, iirc.

So if you played the original version you dealt with friendly fire from start to finish.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
it's going to reflect extremely poorly on FFXIII and XV when XVI comes out and is a significantly better game than either with a fraction of the development time

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Bleck posted:

it's going to reflect extremely poorly on FFXIII and XV when XVI comes out and is a significantly better game than either with a fraction of the development time

It should, most of the other FF games are both better and had shorter dev times.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Remember when an FF game came out every 18-24 months

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

yeah it's wild to think that final fantasy One through Six all came out in the amount of time it took to make just FFXV

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Let's be fair, FF15 as we know it only took the amount of time between FF7 and FF9 or maybe 10.

JagerNinja
Sep 13, 2011

Bleck posted:

It already reflects poorly that the MMO unit, Creative Business Unit 3 (obligatory lol at Square for giving their internal studios the most overtly bland, corporate names) is making XVI when main, numbered, single-player titles are usually the purview of Creative Business Unit 1 (along with KH and all their other flagship prestige projects).

Square realized that all of their rock star staff forgot how to make games and had to call up the B-Team that just quietly makes good content and releases it on time.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

FFXV devs spent 9 years making nice looking rocks, and 3 months making a video game, story, and characters.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
I think you meant ffxiv 1.0 there

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Remember when SE made games between FF releases just so they could have something to do?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Twibbit posted:

I think you meant ffxiv 1.0 there

Characters 1000 polygons
Barrels 1000 polygons

Someone who is good at games please help. my mmo is dying

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

JagerNinja posted:

the B-Team that just quietly makes good content and releases it on time.

so, the rockstar staff?

Just because they have a boring name that has "3" in it instead of "1" doesn't mean it's the B-team, FFXIV is probably one of the biggest moneymakers for SE. $12.99/month over the 7-8 years since 2.0 was released.

It's also pretty widely accepted to be some of the best Final Fantasy we've gotten in years, and not just the recent expansion - we've had several years of consistently amazing content. I don't think SE would put their B-team on a mainline FF game, they just haven't renamed Yoshida's group to "Superstar Cash Factory Team" yet.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Sakaguchi commuting corporate seppuku because of the fallout from Spirits Within was a disaster for SE. I honestly think the 15 years of mismanaged fail games never would have happened if they hadn't lost him, Yoshi P looks to be the first time theyve actually had a competent producer on the series who can make things happen since then.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Gonna say it was still funny to hear dramatic orchestral music underscoring the big "CREATIVE BUSINESS UNIT 3" card in the trailer

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Gonna say it was still funny to hear dramatic orchestral music underscoring the big "CREATIVE BUSINESS UNIT 3" card in the trailer

it's just such a hilarious uncreative name for a team making art

JagerNinja
Sep 13, 2011

Bleck posted:

it's just such a hilarious uncreative name for a team making art

Um, excuse me, "Creative" is right there in the name.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
it’s like a futurama joke: script by writing unit 8.0

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
It only seems generic in English.

In Japanese it reads as Creative Business Unit 6.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
absolute business unit

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Creative Business Unit 4 is just Yoshi-P’s genitalia.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

HD DAD posted:

Creative Business Unit 4 is just Yoshi-P’s genitalia.

Yoshi-P's genitals made the Trials of Mana remake???

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Augus posted:

Yoshi-P's genitals made the Trials of Mana remake???

I mean it was Piss.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyQ7IEL6Ob8

The main plot will not make anybody sit back and o "that was fascinating and coherent." But just wandering around with the four Bros is immeasurably enjoyable and heartwarming. It helps prop up the lackluster main plot because the two are intimately connected, especially later on, but the appeal is still 90% just catching fish or taking pics or cooking with your bros. It's a game you feel and experience more than you think about.

FFXV is a perfectly fine mid tier FF with some things you won't get in any other entry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Bleck posted:

FF16 has been in development for like 4 years already, while the entire actual development of FF15 that came out was like 3