Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Fister Roboto posted:

As an FF14 player I am so loving sick of this guy.

They seriously hyped him up like crazy and he just turned out to be Diet Luca Blight.

As a FF14 player I'm so loving sick of not seeing this guy. He's up there with Gaius for big dumb punch fight ham and he's great.

Countblanc posted:

zenos loving owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
EDIT: ^^ Gaius would've been a much better pick.

Fister Roboto posted:

They seriously hyped him up like crazy and he just turned out to be Diet Luca Blight.

I think their mistake was writing him, from the start, with knowledge he'd be Big And Scary and stick around for a while. It meant they couldn't write in the players beating him for most of Stormblood, and had to hold back on any interesting details for ages because otherwise they'd run out.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Cleretic posted:

Yeah it would have been a better pick to announce at the FF14 fan fest event for FF14 related news and releases. Totally.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I mean, he is a very popular XIV character, not to mention he's coming back in Shadowbringers, so he'd do just fine to announce at an XIV fanfest.

dbzfandiego
Sep 17, 2011
The Final Fantasy youtube put up a video on the creation, of Final Fantasy IX,the developers share anecdotes and stories. Looks neat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdsqEurMd2I

dbzfandiego fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Mar 24, 2019

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Cleretic posted:

I think their mistake was writing him, from the start, with knowledge he'd be Big And Scary and stick around for a while. It meant they couldn't write in the players beating him for most of Stormblood, and had to hold back on any interesting details for ages because otherwise they'd run out.

That's pretty clearly what they meant to do, though. Have an actual present, dangerous villain after how Heavensward kind of botched having a proper antagonist.

And the "details" don't really matter, you pretty much learn everything you need to know about him in his first couple of appearances.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Should’ve been Merlwyb or the guy who fought both Tidus and Leviabeetus.

I haven’t played since 2.4 so total neutral on this guy besides gently caress him because he’s not loving Benjamin.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Zenos is very good, Gaius has more to his character but he's probably visually too much like Gabranth and Golbez and whoever other big armored dudes with helmets on are around in that game.

Plus only one of those two has a giant revolving multi-katana sheathe, and it ain't Gaius.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Mar 24, 2019

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Oh Gaius is a XIV guy

I thought everyone was mispelling Caius

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Gonna be honest.

gently caress Gaius he gets way too many people hard about fascism. Zenos is great cause he's a more realistic authoritarian military guy. ie completely deluded, juvenile and narcissistic and whose success is entirely based on privilege, nepotism and luck. Makes him much more satisfying to fight cause you don't have to deal with bootlickers huffing his dollarstore Nietzsche farts like with Gaius.

Also I just love Zenos' ridiculous petty prick behaviour and insane weeb style, he's just fun as a villain.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Zenos probably had the chance to give the most interesting moveset of any of the Garleans, so cool to have him aboard. He's a lovely loser cartoon villain in XIV proper but he's also the most absurd wannabe samurai with his golf bag katana sheath and the wacky properties of each of his swords.

I'd say I'd prefer a villain from XIV I actually like but the only good ones are an elderly elf pope, a goblin diabolical mastermind and his beloved pet cat, a potato with the superpower of ALL THE MONEY and enough smarts to spend it well, and a gigantic fuckoff rage dragon, none of which were ever terribly likely to make the Dissidia roster. At least it wasn't a lame loving Organization XIII Member Ascian like I thought it was going to be.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

derra posted:

Fighter / Fighter / Red / Thief, on NES anyway.

:ussr:

My main FF1 Team when I play it is Red Mage/Thief/White Mage/Black Mage.

I just love my magics.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Villain rep should've been Good King Moggle Mog

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Mr. Locke posted:

I'd say I'd prefer a villain from XIV I actually like but the only good ones are an elderly elf pope, a goblin diabolical mastermind and his beloved pet cat, a potato with the superpower of ALL THE MONEY and enough smarts to spend it well, and a gigantic fuckoff rage dragon, none of which were ever terribly likely to make the Dissidia roster. At least it wasn't a lame loving Organization XIII Member Ascian like I thought it was going to be.

You forgot the best villain, probably because they're only a villain for a relatively short period (not that that stopped Cloud of Darkness). And she can't be in Dissidia because the source of her power is already in the game, but you know for a fact that if that wasn't true, those developers would have Ysayle at the top of their list.

I don't think Gaius would've had problems with 'looks too much like someone else in the cast', because they've already got Golbez and Exdeath in the same game, and they haven't added the one Dissidia cast member he does sort of resemble, Gabranth from XII. The one thing I'd say is that his moveset would probably be a little thin, because we've only really had him in one boss fight and Squall's already hogging most of the gunblade ideas anyway, but since he's coming back in Shadowbringers the XIV devs clearly have some ideas to pick through.

I'm not as sour on having Lahabrea in the game now as I was a while ago. Because while he may be boring, he wouldn't actually be as overcooked a character in Dissidia as I'd have thought, now that I've played it. He feels like he'd have a viable niche as essentially a 'dark side' Terra or Y'shtola, being reasonably light (unlike Exdeath and Cloud of Darkness) while not being too weird or gimmicky (unlike Kefka, Shantotto and Kuja). The game doesn't have a whole lot of regular-rear end mages, so while he'd be disappointing as a XIV rep, he wouldn't be disappointing as a new Dissidia character.

Once you're out of those A-tiers things start getting a little tough, I admit. You could go with Yotsuyu, who I've been told is a popular and well-regarded character, although I do disagree. Nidhogg possessing Estinien has a lot of potential, but at that point you're reaching. If you are reaching, though, might as well go full curveball, add Omega M/F, and just let things get wild.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
All the Laguna sections of FF8 suck and are boring. Laguna is a loving moron and I hate him.

Rest of the game is pretty good though.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Elephant Ambush posted:

All the Laguna sections of FF8 suck and are boring. Laguna is a loving moron and I hate him.

Rest of the game is pretty good though.

Still love this line that appears after the very first Laguna segment.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Rirse posted:

That's the funniest line in the game so far.

I'm currently breaking out of the prison. One thing I really hate about the PS1 era games is the way the dpad buttons just make you go in whatever direction the game feels like instead of, you know, the actual direction you're pressing.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Elephant Ambush posted:

I'm currently breaking out of the prison. One thing I really hate about the PS1 era games is the way the dpad buttons just make you go in whatever direction the game feels like instead of, you know, the actual direction you're pressing.

that has killed me in the prison more than once.

Rirse posted:

the Laguna sections are the best just for the number of times everyone else dunks on him

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Oh man, I don't even remember, FF8 didn't even have analog controls yet?

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

zenguitarman posted:

Oh man, I don't even remember, FF8 didn't even have analog controls yet?

you could use the analog sticks, but I'm pretty sure the whole problem with switching screens and directions not taking you the same way is still an issue, like it is in games like Silent Hill with tank controls

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
This prison is confusing trash. I went all the way downstairs with Zell checking the doors to see if any would open and none of them did. I looked up a guide and apparently there's a ton of stuff I can get but all the floors look the same and none of the doors open. WTF am I doing wrong?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Elephant Ambush posted:

WTF am I doing wrong?

You're playing games that you clearly don't enjoy.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Elephant Ambush posted:

This is as far as I've ever gotten. Right near the prison escape, you're running left. The next screen has you running right, but I was holding left on the ctrl pad so I ran backwards. Game over.

That was enough for me to put the game down and never go back to it.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Elephant Ambush posted:

This prison is confusing trash. I went all the way downstairs with Zell checking the doors to see if any would open and none of them did. I looked up a guide and apparently there's a ton of stuff I can get but all the floors look the same and none of the doors open. WTF am I doing wrong?

if you're at the point where you're just Zell and the guards are chasing you, I don't think you can get into the cells anymore. you can enter them right after you get the weapons back and you're just running up to bust Squall out.

honestly the prison is about the only part of VIII I don't like that much and I always just breeze through it whenever I play.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Rirse posted:

Maybe the best line in the game

Recent talk of FF8 makes me want to replay it. I've already got half finished playthroughs of 9 and 12 though, seems a bit silly.

Speaking of 12, it's my first time playing it since release and it is better than I remember. The plot and characters are still barely there for a lot of the game, but the world is cool. I like the hunts, but I wish they weren't such a pain sometimes. Warping to some poo poo crystal and then having to run through five screens of loving caves and deserts isn't the best. And they have such poo poo rewards too. Spent half an hour going to find a huge beast that is devastating the land? Here's 3500 Gil, a Hi-Potion and some Onion Arrows. gently caress you

I know that the rewards get better later but it's a massive grind and I can't be bothered. I also don't like how you can see all the equipment on the license grid, it removes the mystery of finding new gear (which is also too rare anyway)

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

After Prompto talked about how we wored black all the time, I gave the party their colorful clothes...and this happens immediately afterwards.

Stelio Kontos
Feb 12, 2014
I feel like I'm the only person who enjoys the card game in IX. I'm currently playing through the game on Switch having only played it way back when it came out on PlayStation and I mostly avoided the card game then. There's a few characters that explain the basic mechanics of the game (types, numbers, arrows) and I haven't felt the need to look anything up online and my win/loss/draw ratio is ~200/50/25 at the midpoint of disc 2.

I guess I'm just curious as to what the big turnoff surrounding it is?

FlyTB20C
Sep 16, 2004

Rirse posted:

After Prompto talked about how we wored black all the time, I gave the party their colorful clothes...and this happens immediately afterwards.

Classic King intimidation maneuver.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Fister Roboto posted:

You're playing games that you clearly don't enjoy.

Nah it's fine. This prison part sucks though.

I had to take a break to do IRL responsibility things but when I get back to it I will load up a save from before Zell getting weapons back and go try to find stuff in the lower floors. I'll probably check some videos.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Stelio Kontos posted:

I guess I'm just curious as to what the big turnoff surrounding it is?

Large amount of randomness (so much so that the stats barely matter) and no real rewards for doing the game unlike in FF8.

Stelio Kontos
Feb 12, 2014

Mega64 posted:

Large amount of randomness (so much so that the stats barely matter) and no real rewards for doing the game unlike in FF8.

Reasonable. I guess the randomness doesn't really bother me or I haven't really experienced how annoying it can be. I usually go in with a strategy and come out the winner. It's only when I really gently caress up that I lose and it's never really felt unfair.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Elephant Ambush posted:

I don't know if the strategy guide says so, but Zell makes some parts of the game harder on you by being in your party.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Scalding Coffee posted:

I don't know if the strategy guide says so, but Zell makes some parts of the game harder on you by being in your party.

because he's a chicken wuss

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
I don't hate Zell but I would intentionally avoid him IRL and would only speak to him as much as I had to. I will repeat that Selphie owns and is the only character I would actually hang out with IRL. We'd go to BBQs and drink all the good beer and dance til we puked and then probably go set of fireworks in a dumpster until we got arrested.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Elephant Ambush posted:

I don't hate Zell but I would intentionally avoid him IRL and would only speak to him as much as I had to. I will repeat that Selphie owns and is the only character I would actually hang out with IRL. We'd go to BBQs and drink all the good beer and dance til we puked and then probably go set of fireworks in a dumpster until we got arrested.

But her limits suck so I never used her :(

Another thing FF8 got wrong, making the limit breaks wildly different in power for each character

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Paperhouse posted:

Another thing FF8 got wrong, making the limit breaks wildly different in power for each character

That's every Final Fantasy with limit breaks.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

He is absolutely a Luca Blight wannabe, but even one third of Luca Blight is a pretty impressive villain IMO.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Paperhouse posted:

But her limits suck so I never used her :(

Selphie's limit is great, but even so worrying about which limit is better leads to the kind of arguments like Zell's being the "best" because you can sit there switching between Booya and Punch Rush or whatever it was

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Elephant Ambush posted:

I'd probably just hang out with Squall because then at least it'd be quiet and we probably couldn't bother going anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

We're not cool enough to hang out with any final fantasy party members