Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

thetoughestbean posted:

BLU being unable to do Eureka is bs

it's nigh on loving tailor-made for BLU!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Blue Magic owns in 6 as long as you do a natural magic run which is my favorite way to play the game but I understand why most people don't. But all the systems in 6 suffer if you don't limit Esper use.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I am glad blue mage is its own unique thing and not a normal magic dps but you just have attack names from classic moves and nothing interesting or unique beyond animations.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Blue Magic is also good in VIII and VII. Quistis is King in FF8 challenge runs because Degenerator/White Wind removes a lot of difficulty.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Open Marriage Night posted:

Picking up FF8 for the first time on PS4 for ten bucks, and I’m wondering if there’s some good guides for cards and junctions? I think I got the basics, and don’t want to break the game, I just don’t want to miss out on something good.

Here are the biggest things I feel newcomers need to know:
- Junctions are very important, therefore stockpiling spells is important. Your stat gains from Junctions are so much better than from level ups. You don't have to go out of your way to avoid leveling up, just keep an eye out for Spells. Enemies scale to your level, and have different loot and Draws at different level thresholds.
- If you check a boss' Draw list and it has a name you've never seen before, that's a GF. Draw it ASAP!
- It is VERY IMPORTANT to always be checking what abilities your GFs are learning. By default, they are are going to be boosting their own stats in some way, Which is Bad.
- Prioritise some combination of the following GF abilities: Refine abilities (transforms items or spells into other spells or items), Junction abilities (so you have more stats to boost), then whatever abilities sound useful to you.

Big missable: Cid is an rear end in a top hat who never gives you good things without asking in Disc 1. Make sure you talk to him, especially after he briefs you on something. There are two things you can miss this way.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Chillgamesh posted:

Playing FFIX with Moguri Mod right now and this seriously kicks rear end

As am I, and I'm amazed how much more fun I'm having with it than I did on my last IX playthrough a couple years ago. The "steal always succeeds" thing eliminates so much frustration. Not having to string a boss fight around for forty five minutes in the hopes you get the super rare weapon is such a relief. IX has never been a hard game, but getting gear early from them makes it that you can absolutely steamroll it.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
In addition Dagger is underrated.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Character wise I agree, gameplay wise eiko is better. At least I think she's supposed to be but I'm never using her

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Card games are the path to ultimate power in FF8, is the only bullet point I'd add

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I won't use eiko unless you make me.

Why yes my first time through FFIX I had to do some extreme grinding when you split up the two parties because the first party was the four people I liked and the second party was the four people who add nothing to the game and oooooooooh boy was I underleveled.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I think that was everyone when they played, luckily it was mercifully short

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Barudak posted:

I won't use eiko unless you make me.

Why yes my first time through FFIX I had to do some extreme grinding when you split up the two parties because the first party was the four people I liked and the second party was the four people who add nothing to the game and oooooooooh boy was I underleveled.

I'm assuming you mean Oeilvert/Desert Palace. When I first played IX, I somehow missed the "you can't use magic in Oeilvert" thing Kuja said, so I brought Zidane, Dagger, Vivi, and I think Quina. It was not fun, especially since Quina in particular was way underleveled and I hadn't taught them any blue magic by then.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Gaius Marius posted:

Character wise I agree, gameplay wise eiko is better. At least I think she's supposed to be but I'm never using her

Eiko gets the better white magic, Beatrix aside, Dispel, Might, Full-Life, Esuna, and Holy are the big ones that are Eiko exclusive. Though Madeen does holy damage anyway so you'll probably use that instead of Holy. Also unlike other buffs, Might works for the entire battle so it's fairly useful for boosting characters until they get their "all 9999 all the time" abilities.

Aside from that, Haste and Regen are Eiko exclusive but they're worthless as spells, so y'know. She also gets Jewel which...gives you an Ore. Whoopee.

Garnet's unique spells are Scan (which doesn't work on bosses anyway), Confuse, Berserk, and Blind. Those are pretty worthless, aside from Blind which works on a couple of bosses but you're better off using the Tent trick to inflict it on them anyway.

Play how you want but Full-Life alone is enough for me to bench Garnet in favor of Eiko always, and the fact that you have that stretch on disc 3 where Garnet has like a 1/3 chance to do nothing in battle makes her even worse imo.

e: Also on top of that there's the whole Phoenix thing where Eiko has a chance to resurrect the entire party from a wipe with Phoenix, which I believe the percentage chance is the number of Phoenix Pinions you have divided by three (so max 33% chance).

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sorry, Eiko is so awful a character I still used Garnet even at that point.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Imagine playing a Final Fantasy game and not optimizing for power regardless of how much a character does or doesn't blow.

...nah, I can't even say that genuinely. So few of them even let you have a meaningful choice anyway, cause most of the games with multiple characters have a blank slate system or at least evolve into that by endgame. I think IX and XIII are the only ones with truly meaningful distinctions. Not counting remake IV letting you have the old characters, either.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

eikos fine. quinas worth it just for the marriage joke. freya has one funny scene with zidane. amarant has 'my money's on kuja.' there, they all add something to the game.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

FF12 near-ending: Gabranth wanted Ashe to destroy the Empire, right? So he was trying to get her to do so? That’s why he tries to bring up revenge and death debt and poo poo? or did he think that Ashe using the Sun-Cryst would have brought the Empire to a position of prominence by instead destroying Dalmasca?

I just don’t know if he’s pro Empire or not because Ashe is a huge wimp

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

ff6 had so many characters... wayy too many!!

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Booky posted:

ff6 had so many characters... wayy too many!!

I know, it should have just been Umaro, Gau and Mog. The three best characters on a fun adventure.

jokes posted:

FF12 near-ending: Gabranth wanted Ashe to destroy the Empire, right? So he was trying to get her to do so? That’s why he tries to bring up revenge and death debt and poo poo? or did he think that Ashe using the Sun-Cryst would have brought the Empire to a position of prominence by instead destroying Dalmasca?

Not wanting to be a slave to the gods and defying their will? What a huge wimp!

Anyway your first theory is correct. Gabranth hates the Empire for destroying his homeland, he was playing loyal all along to try and look for a good opportunity to destroy the Empire. He wanted Ashe to claim the Sun-Cryst so that she could destroy the Empire, and he thought that telling her that he was the one who killed her husband would tip her into rage and desire for revenge and make her do it.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

jokes posted:

Gabranth hates the empire for destroying his homeland, hates himself for serving the Empire after they destroyed his homeland, and hates Basch for not cowing to the empire the way Gabranth did. Basically yes, Gabranth is all sorts of self-destructive and wants to see the Empire burn.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Twelve by Pies posted:

Not wanting to be a slave to the gods and defying their will? What a huge wimp!

I remember having no idea why anyone cared about that. Handing out magic nukes to play kingmaker is a lame game but there are way worse things a council of spooky gods could be doing. Turning Ashe into an unstoppable vengeful queen-god king is bad because someone we didn't expect to care wants it to happen? It's been a while since I played the game on PS2, but I don't remember the spooky gods doing more than the Lady of the Lake in terms of steering the fate of mankind or whatever people were upset about.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

aegof posted:

I remember having no idea why anyone cared about that. Handing out magic nukes to play kingmaker is a lame game but there are way worse things a council of spooky gods could be doing. Turning Ashe into an unstoppable vengeful queen-god king is bad because someone we didn't expect to care wants it to happen? It's been a while since I played the game on PS2, but I don't remember the spooky gods doing more than the Lady of the Lake in terms of steering the fate of mankind or whatever people were upset about.

The Occuria exist in some other dimension and hand out state of the art weapons to whatever human they feel like and their allied monarchical dynastys and seem to only get reinvolved when whatever shifting objective they have for the human realm goes off rails. I get less of a "lady of the lake" vibe and more US policy in the middle east so wanting them to gently caress off forever seemed right.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Barudak posted:

The Occuria exist in some other dimension and hand out state of the art weapons to whatever human they feel like and their allied monarchical dynastys and seem to only get reinvolved when whatever shifting objective they have for the human realm goes off rails. I get less of a "lady of the lake" vibe and more US policy in the middle east so wanting them to gently caress off forever seemed right.

On the other hand, the last person that they put in power was King Raithwall, who was universally regarded as a hero and great leader. So, uh, maybe the Occuria know what they're doing!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i realize everyone you see from the empire is literally darth vader but they presumably have innocent civilians who ashe's revenge murder spree would do bad things to

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Also like, Raithwall was still a conqueror. He was apparently a very nice conqueror, but I somehow doubt the people of the nations he conquered were very happy with the Occuria's choice.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Hellioning posted:

Also like, Raithwall was still a conqueror. He was apparently a very nice conqueror, but I somehow doubt the people of the nations he conquered were very happy with the Occuria's choice.

Raithwall seems like more of an Alexander the Great-style conqueror than an emperor, though. You can do whatever you want after he conquers you, he's more invested in just running up the score.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Schwartzcough posted:

On the other hand, the last person that they put in power was King Raithwall, who was universally regarded as a hero and great leader. So, uh, maybe the Occuria know what they're doing!

Raithwall conquered the entire area by sword and magic artillery then created a weak central state based on feudalism that ultimately lacked the strength to maintain internal kingdoms before collapsing and now various extant existing kingdoms claim a blood line back as they try to reconquer a geopolitical hotzone and holy site.

Like the plot of the game is akin to the Occuria saying "Hey, lets give Ibn Saud Ashe Bnargan Dalmasca the weaponry needed to unite Saudi Arabia Dalmasca"

Barudak fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Mar 7, 2021

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
raithwall was probably regarded as a hero and great conqueror because any civilization that could have said otherwise had been ground into dust

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Schwartzcough posted:

Actually, I think you'll find that Raithwall did but pretend the title, a cur begging nethicite scraps from his master's table

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I do appreciate how 10, 12, and 13 were basically telling the gods to piss off. I threw 10 in there because the whole yevon/sin cycle is close enough.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Strictly speaking, so is 6

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Tactics is kind of hardcore in that regard.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

9 they basically tell the Concept of Death Itself to piss off does that count

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I'll accept 6 even though it's the evil clown attacking and dethroning god. The party just wants to beat up the clown.

9's weird because the death god just shows up and grand crosses you

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Twelve by Pies posted:

Anyway your first theory is correct. Gabranth hates the Empire for destroying his homeland, he was playing loyal all along to try and look for a good opportunity to destroy the Empire. .

I don't think this is a correct read of his motivations. he wasn't playing loyal all along: he was loyal prior to this, but became disillusioned as a consequence of Vayne's illegal power-grab and being forced to kill Drace. After losing faith in the empire he goes into a spiral of self-loathing for having devoted his life to it and so he's trying to goad Ashe into destroying the empire as an over-correction for his own disillusionment.

OR, ALTERNATELY, he even remains loyal: his most recent order was to determine whether Ashe intended to use the nethicite and to kill her if so. Vayne obviously wanted this outcome, so Gabranth is trying to force it into being; although he's doing so by speaking the true sentiments he holds (due to his self-loathing and disillusionment) but does not act on

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It's more interesting to think about the least powerful final boss in an FF game. I think in 2 it was just a really angry emperor?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I feel like that entire plot beat might have worked better if Vossler didn't exist and pretty much already do it.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

It's more interesting to think about the least powerful final boss in an FF game. I think in 2 it was just a really angry emperor?

Lahabrea :grin:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

exquisite tea posted:

Yeah, but he ends up overthrowing heaven and hell after death.

I think Zemus from 4 is just some dude who becomes a vengeful spirit after death So I'm going to say him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
Yeah, Zeromus is just an angry moon man, though I'd also say Yu Yevon. He's still the final boss, even though the last real challenge was BFA.