Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Actually, I think you'll find that Raithwall did but pretend the title, a cur begging nethicite scraps from his master's table

I want you to know that I appreciate this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

FF12 is a good game. The worst part of it is that the classes are MOSTLY final fantasy jobs but not quite there.

Anyways, the Occuria being bullies who hand out WMDs is a pretty interesting take on gods and the humans they choose to empower.

The more interesting thing is that the Occuria probably pop back in later and offer some sweetness after the events of FF12 and that’s why everything goes to FFT-style feudal hell in the Cataclysm or whatever. Maybe St. Ajora is given some Occuria poo poo.

I wonder, too, if the manufacted Nethicite or something similar that Cid uses to summon Famfrit is ultimately what turns into the Zodiac stones from FFT.

There should be more Ivalice games.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Its mentioned somewhere in FF12 (maybe revenant wings? gently caress if I remember) that the Occuria use the term "Saint" to refer to people they've loaned out high power weaponry to so Im pretty sure everything in Ivalice is hosed because people keep making deals with the US Government The Occuria

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I wish Vossler wasn't a traitor, his armor is cool

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I believe its alluded to in the bestiary extended infos they give you, but in FFT Ivalice has gone back to medieval levels because of the mimics. They devour all of the advanced technology they can find to fuel their reproduction.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Also the Occuria were revealed in Revenant Wings to lock an entire country and its people on a sky island because they didn’t want to follow the gods.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

For the good of Ivalice we must sanction Lemures until they dismantle their auricite enrichment program.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Endorph posted:

eikos fine. quinas worth it just for the marriage joke. freya has one funny scene with zidane. amarant has 'my money's on kuja.' there, they all add something to the game.

Freya has a pretty interesting arc going until it’s taken out back and shot.

Mywhatacleanturtle fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Mar 7, 2021

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Actually, I think you'll find that Raithwall did but pretend the title, a cur begging nethicite scraps from his master's table

I absolutely love 12, and the psuedo-Shakespeare horseshit is probably a massive part of it. Seeing a dude in pink hotpants hammily wax poetic about the consequences of nuclear war is just a really unique vibe.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Blue Labrador posted:

I absolutely love 12, and the psuedo-Shakespeare horseshit is probably a massive part of it. Seeing a dude in pink hotpants hammily wax poetic about the consequences of nuclear war is just a really unique vibe.

And have it set entirely in the Middle East. Just really good design and setting choices there.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

FF12 absolutely whips rear end and every time all of the ways it whips rear end come up in this thread I want to play it again

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I love FF12.. Except the gameplay part of it

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
You guys thinking its an allegory for real life haven't played alot of Matsuno games huh

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
JRPGs are a weird genre when people would rather watch regular people bicker and plot political intrigue than murder God yet again.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

I love FF12.. Except the gameplay part of it

Play the Struggle for Freedom mod, there are 4 versions and each seem fantastic. I went with the re-balanced original boards one and it's really great.

gently caress I love FF12 goddamn

Agents are GO! posted:

I believe its alluded to in the bestiary extended infos they give you, but in FFT Ivalice has gone back to medieval levels because of the mimics. They devour all of the advanced technology they can find to fuel their reproduction.

There's an unexplained "The Catastrophe" or whatever that causes FF12 Ivalice to go to poo poo first!

Reading elsewhere on the internet I'm fairly certain that manufacted nethicite from FF12 become the Zodiac stones for sure

jokes fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Mar 7, 2021

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Mega64 posted:

JRPGs are a weird genre when people would rather watch regular people bicker and plot political intrigue than murder God yet again.

Oh please, all the incidences of JRPG deicide have been completely justified. At most its godslaughter. Those divinities were reaching for guns, anyway. Anyone in the same situation, a dark alley where you are faced with a poorly-lit omniscient and omnipotent being from beyond space and time, would make the same decision as those JRPG protagonists. :colbert:

Edit: support our spikey-haired prettyboys.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Mega64 posted:

Eh, the bickering and political intrigue is still a niche interest. The larger market still seems primarily interested in games where your party is full of romance-able teens who are some sort of band of misfits

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
FFXVII should just be a band of office workers in fantasy-Ohio who just want healthcare.

Somehow they still kill god in the end.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The whole "blessed by the crystal" plot point would still work!

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The lowest powered FF final boss has to be Shuyin, right? He's also an angry ghost but he's person-sized.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Vayne/Venat/The Undying has to be a leader for least powerful catagory. We're never really shown how potent a single Occuria is and their main power seems to just be knowledge- Vayne is able to stave off dying for a bit when Venat sacs themselves to stave off Vayne's death but it didn't exactly give him a big power up and doesn't do much besides slow down the inevitable.

After that, Zemus is a good answer since he's just a mad moon dude, and if we're gonna add expansion-end bosses for FFXIV into the ring then, as thematically awesome as the fight is Thordan is probably the ACTUAL 'weakest' final boss in an FF title. Yu Yeven is of course a free fight, but consider that he's been empowering this thousand year hatebeast that held a world on the brink and only lost because the party lucked the hell out into fighting Sin's host instead of the whole 'let's go into Sin' being a big non-starter unless there was some logic to their decision I've missed that I don't remember.

Mr. Locke fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Mar 7, 2021

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

HD DAD posted:

FFXVII should just be a band of office workers in fantasy-Ohio who just want healthcare.

Yakuza 7 onwards already has that niche covered

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

HD DAD posted:

Ah yes, "The Invisible Hand of the Free Market," We meet at last.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

if the political intrigue doesn't somehow funnel into killing god in the end I want nothing to do with it

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Twibbit posted:

They'd better go Grandia 2 with it and make you fight the hand, eye, tongue and so on.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Blue Labrador posted:

thetoughestbean posted:

Eh, the bickering and political intrigue is still a niche interest. The larger market still seems primarily interested in games where your party is full of romance-able teens who are some sort of band of misfits

This is why I am interesting in finding out why The Legacy of the Crystals has Shaped Our History for Long Enough.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Also why it was the Dhalmeks who drove back the Crusaders in the Battle of the Twin Realms

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Twibbit posted:

I would play the poo poo out of a FF game where office workers unionize and overthrow capitalism. Bonus points if the final boss is like necron or zemus with ronald reagan's head.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

This is why I am interesting in finding out why The Legacy of the Crystals has Shaped Our History for Long Enough.

There’s never been an anti-crystal final fantasy (yet), so let’s do something wacky with it

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

That's like the entire theme of FF12 and 13 :psyduck:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Gologle posted:

You guys thinking its an allegory for real life haven't played alot of Matsuno games huh

You mean the same Matsuno who wrote Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together, which was expressly based on seeing the Yugoslav Wars on the news? :confused:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The crystals in 12/13 aren’t really entities, though, just substances. In early final fantasies, the crystals are always cool and good and often directly speak to the protagonists.

In a lot of ways, their continued existence is an affront to the supremacy of man, and a new world order must needs be brought about.

jokes fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Mar 8, 2021

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

jokes posted:

There’s never been an anti-crystal final fantasy (yet), so let’s do something wacky with it

XIV might end up being anti-crystal. Or it might just be crystal neutral but with a playerbase that REALLY wants to murder a blue rock just because they haven't yet.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Bravely Default is almost a Final Fantasy and it is pretty anti-crystal.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I mean, the most anti-crystal FF is probably Final Fantasy Tactics but FF12 pretty much explained that crystals are just pokeballs and/or bombs.

I don’t think Bravely default is anti-crystal, the crystals are just used for the wrong reasons. And, importantly, the crystals don’t talk or have personalities or anything.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Mustached Demon posted:

I would play the poo poo out of a FF game where office workers unionize and overthrow capitalism. Bonus points if the final boss is like necron or zemus with ronald reagan's head.

Okay but you just know there will be a sequel to find out what happens in a world after you overthrow capitalism, but you also have to include pop concerts and dressphere changing sequences.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Schwartzcough posted:

On the other hand, the last person that they put in power was King Raithwall, who was universally regarded as a hero and great leader. So, uh, maybe the Occuria know what they're doing!

Not mentioned i yet in this discussion is that Raithwall emerged in a time of great war. He wasn't Alexander or Napoleon, everyone was already killing each other and all he did was use overwhelming force to stop it.

That's all the details we are given.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

ApplesandOranges posted:

Okay but you just know there will be a sequel to find out what happens in a world after you overthrow capitalism, but you also have to include pop concerts and dressphere changing sequences.

Alright FF pitch office, mustached demons coming with the next big FF hit.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Mustached Demon posted:

I've got bad news, this is gonna end up like Persona 5: effectively cancelled by the original people excited about it because it wasn't sufficiently left enough.

I should say I'm also disappointed P5 didn't take a harder stance, but some people in the Megaten thread are still REALLY MAD that it pulled some punches (in a game where you literally punch the Prime Minister of Japan).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I don't think you do that in P5.