Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I’m glad they updated the meteor effect. When I first played V in 1999 or so, I had no idea why a potato was suddenly expanding and contracting on screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I am eager to see if they make the Vector escape sequence look less like absolute rear end.

JTDistortion
Mar 28, 2010

Twelve by Pies posted:

Voice of Cards difficulty chat

I'd say the difficulty issue that stood out to me was the fact that most notable bosses are solo fights. It's hard for a boss to be a meaningful challenge in this battle system when you get 3 actions to its 1. Overall it gave me the same feel as Ni no Kuni: a perfectly good basic system that they just never really do much with.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I’m just starting chapter 2 of Voice of Cards but this game would be significantly better with a fast forward option so you can just expedite the way combat but that’s not exactly a hot take. Liking the vibe otherwise though, it feels kinda like a weird hybid between a DND campaign and Dragon Quest I But With Taro’s Crew with having this jerky whiny protagonist having to deal with these frankly kinda rude white knights.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I will use the cute monster in my party at all times and nothing will stop me

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Maybe I'll actually finish FFV for once. I've played it to like half like 7 times. I have a problem.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Zurtilik posted:

Maybe I'll actually finish FFV for once. I've played it to like half like 7 times. I have a problem.

If you haven't tried, consider playing it FJF style instead. I started and stopped FFV probably 4 times when I was younger because I kept burning out on trying to grind jobs because I wanted Fun Ability Synergies and such, but having that effectively locked away got me to actually push forward and beat the game finally.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

If you’re playing FFV and you’re level 30, you’ve grinded (ground?) way too much.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Welp I finished VC4 early because the game crashed while writing its post-credits save file and deleted itself and I started playing FF13 with FF13Fix. I'm already enjoying it a lot more than I did as a teenager playing it 15 years ago, especially the battle system. Playing on a high resolution monitor with a graphics mod to make it display properly instead of playing it on a CRT TV probably helps too.

Man the voice direction sucks though. The actors do a good job but the way they're told to act and the delivery on some lines just feels bad. Such a weird step backwards after FF12 nailed the acting and direction.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Chillgamesh posted:

Man the voice direction sucks though. The actors do a good job but the way they're told to act and the delivery on some lines just feels bad. Such a weird step backwards after FF12 nailed the acting and direction.

It's pretty telling that the most life the voice actors show involving FF13 is an improv session over a random battle between Lightning and Snow's actors.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

JTDistortion posted:

I'd say the difficulty issue that stood out to me was the fact that most notable bosses are solo fights. It's hard for a boss to be a meaningful challenge in this battle system when you get 3 actions to its 1. Overall it gave me the same feel as Ni no Kuni: a perfectly good basic system that they just never really do much with.

The secret boss is a solo fight but it's strong enough that it's a legitimate threat, and most of its attacks are aoes that hit incredibly hard, so you actually do need healing and buffs. But yeah, you're right that most bosses are solo, and their stats aren't really high enough to make them anything more than a speed bump.

Alxprit posted:

I will use the cute monster in my party at all times and nothing will stop me

It's the most powerful member in the game by the end so you're just ahead of the curve!

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Scalding Coffee posted:

I am eager to see if they make the Vector escape sequence look less like absolute rear end.

When people talk about how amazing Square's PSX and SNES games look, I have to assume they don't mean anything before FFVI. And even that was kind of iffy in parts.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
The ones that come to mind graphically for me on SNES are FF6, CT, Bahamut Lagoon, Chrono Trigger and Trials of Mana. And looking up a list, yep all after 6.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Even FF6 came after FF6.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Fuschia tude posted:

When people talk about how amazing Square's PSX and SNES games look, I have to assume they don't mean anything before FFVI. And even that was kind of iffy in parts.

Secret of Mana is a fantastic looking game, and it's sequel is even better looking although yea that was after 6.

And I'd argue that their enemy spritework in 4 and 5 are very good but yea, the game worlds themselves look like an nes game with more colors.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

Electromax posted:

The ones that come to mind graphically for me on SNES are FF6, CT, Bahamut Lagoon, Chrono Trigger and Trials of Mana. And looking up a list, yep all after 6.

Might as well toss Romancing SaGa 3 on there as well.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

PneumonicBook posted:

Secret of Mana is a fantastic looking game, and it's sequel is even better looking although yea that was after 6.

And I'd argue that their enemy spritework in 4 and 5 are very good but yea, the game worlds themselves look like an nes game with more colors.

Yeah, I considered mentioning monster sprites in IV and V. I'm kind of meh on IV's, but V's are definitely transitional between IV's and VI's, the latter of which are just about the pinnacle of 16-color static enemy sprites of that resolution.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

HD DAD posted:

I mean, it was essentially the same team who worked on Vagrant Story, which also pushed the PS1 to its absolute limits. I think their basic schtick was using relatively low poly models, making up the difference in processing power with more detailed textures, and then creative layering of 2D planes and elements. But that doesn’t include the masterful animation of hair, clothes, and facial expressions.

Yeah, some parts of Vagrant Story are master-level spritework on top of very basic cube people.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah Vagrant Story was a loving masterpiece of making use of what they had. I think the only remotely comparably good looking 3D games on the PS1 were Mega Man Legends

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I'm torn on where to get FFV. I want it on the Switch for portability, but I hate even the "improved" font.

TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

Am I the only one who is very annoyed that the text appears instantly rather than scrolling out in the pixel remasters? It's such a tiny thing but it's really...distracting.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It sounds great, but the music is out of sync with the cutscene. It's supposed to climax when the crystal shatters, and the intro has auto-scrolling text to make sure it lines up.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Bruceski posted:

I'm torn on where to get FFV. I want it on the Switch for portability, but I hate even the "improved" font.
I am sure there are mods for various fonts I listed in an earlier post, from other titles.
Why not get both?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

TooManyUzukis posted:

Am I the only one who is very annoyed that the text appears instantly rather than scrolling out in the pixel remasters? It's such a tiny thing but it's really...distracting.

Scrolling text is the devils work, so Im pro instant.

That said I do get that the scrolling text looks nicer aesthetically then just blammo heres the text, so it is odd its not an option

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Scalding Coffee posted:

I am sure there are mods for various fonts I listed in an earlier post, from other titles.
Why not get both?

On the Switch? Had trouble googling it, because it assumes "switch font" is synonimous with "change font."

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Bruceski posted:

On the Switch? Had trouble googling it, because it assumes "switch font" is synonimous with "change font."

Unless I missed an announcement, the other reason you're having trouble is because there isn't a Switch release.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
It is for mobile as well. Didn't hear about the Switch.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Fister Roboto posted:

It sounds great, but the music is out of sync with the cutscene. It's supposed to climax when the crystal shatters, and the intro has auto-scrolling text to make sure it lines up.

It was out of sync in this exact way on the GBA release as well.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Fuschia tude posted:

Electromax posted:

Dragon Quest 5 looked really good considering just how early it came out on the SNES. FFMQ looked good with the pre-FF6 sprite style and had phenomenal music.

Secret of Mana's the real standout pre-FF6 game as far as graphics go though. BoF's design was cool, especially with the dragon forms and Karn's fusions but graphically it still looked rough overall.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Scalding Coffee posted:

It is for mobile as well. Didn't hear about the Switch.

PC and mobile only. Like all the other Pixel Remasters. Unless I missed an announcement somewhere. Or you're planning on running the mobile version on Lineage OS.

Son of a Vondruke! fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Nov 3, 2021

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Oops. Double post.

Son of a Vondruke! fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Nov 3, 2021

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Evil Fluffy posted:

Dragon Quest 5 looked really good considering just how early it came out on the SNES. FFMQ looked good with the pre-FF6 sprite style and had phenomenal music.

Secret of Mana's the real standout pre-FF6 game as far as graphics go though. BoF's design was cool, especially with the dragon forms and Karn's fusions but graphically it still looked rough overall.

Breath of Fire was a Capcom game, square just published it in the US.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Bruceski posted:

I snagged FF3PR for Android since I had a lot of google play money, and it was really nice to play on the go. I'd do the same for 5 since I still got google play money from all those dumb surveys I do (and they're expiring soon!), but man I think the potential mods for 5 are gonna be good.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

Dragon Quest wasn't Square. Back then, Enix was a separate company.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Bongo Bill posted:

Dragon Quest wasn't Square. Back then, Enix was a separate company.

Enix also just published Dragon Quest, it was Chunsoft (now Spike Chunsoft) who developed Dragon Quest V. As I understand it Yuji Horii fully owns the Dragon Quest IP, he just sticks with Enix and then Square-Enix to fund the games and since they're huge in Japan it's a no-brainer. The actual development of the games is usually contracted out i.e. Chunsoft for the first 5 games, Heartbeat for VI and VII, Level-5 for VIII and IX. Dragon Quest X and XI are the first games developed internally at Square-Enix from what I can tell but, they still subcontracted out work to Armor Project (who are returning for XII), Toylogic and ORCA Inc.

I think in theory, Yuji Horii could just find another publisher for Dragon Quest if it wasn't working out with Square-Enix.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Armor Project is Horii's production/holding company, they don't do development, really.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Enix also just published Dragon Quest, it was Chunsoft (now Spike Chunsoft) who developed Dragon Quest V. As I understand it Yuji Horii fully owns the Dragon Quest IP, he just sticks with Enix and then Square-Enix to fund the games and since they're huge in Japan it's a no-brainer. The actual development of the games is usually contracted out i.e. Chunsoft for the first 5 games, Heartbeat for VI and VII, Level-5 for VIII and IX. Dragon Quest X and XI are the first games developed internally at Square-Enix from what I can tell but, they still subcontracted out work to Armor Project (who are returning for XII), Toylogic and ORCA Inc.

I think in theory, Yuji Horii could just find another publisher for Dragon Quest if it wasn't working out with Square-Enix.

I did not know this. Pretty crazy that this many devs worked on it and yet all of them feel like the same game

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I did not know this. Pretty crazy that this many devs worked on it and yet all of them feel like the same game

Dragon Quest is your favorite comfort food. It's your mom's lasagna, a burrito from the place down the street, a bowl of Mac and cheese. They need to be the same or at least similar. The composer for DQ basically owned all the musical theme rights too. However, he's dead now but don't feel bad because he was a racist jerk.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Unlike other IPs that have been passed around development houses, DQ remains in the hands of the original creator who likely oversees development of each title. Having the same character and monster designer each time probably also helps the feeling of continuity. In fact I feel like most of the design staff probably works for Armor Project, and what actually gets passed around are the grunt work programming duties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JTDistortion
Mar 28, 2010

Twelve by Pies posted:

The secret boss is a solo fight but it's strong enough that it's a legitimate threat, and most of its attacks are aoes that hit incredibly hard, so you actually do need healing and buffs. But yeah, you're right that most bosses are solo, and their stats aren't really high enough to make them anything more than a speed bump.

I like Bruno and generally had him in my party, so the secret boss just ended up feeling like a speedbump. Miracle heart spam completely shut it down.