Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
All I know is it's not a real Final Fantasy unless it has exactly 3 playable women in it. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
rewatching the trailer and just now noticing that the protagonist seems to switch styles or at least have attacks based on summons - her sprouts a phoenix wing for the double jump, does a kind of spinning thing with the same green wind effect used in classic FF wind spells (so probably Garuda) and summons big yellow Titan fists for punches.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
The Titan fist is also used to grapple enemies and drag them to the player. I love the Titan fist.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Aithon posted:

All I know is it's not a real Final Fantasy unless it has exactly 3 playable women in it. :colbert:

I had a point but then you distracted me with the prospect of counting, because I am apparently a Chinese vampire.

By this metric, and allowing teenagers to count as 'women' because we're in anime rules here, the only real Final Fantasies are VII, VIII, X, XII, and XIII. If you let female children count, then we also get IV, V, VI, and IX, and... curiously, don't lose any by going above three. So weirdly, you have a point. The only Dissidia that counts is the original, as an aside, because the other two add in more women.

But my point, I think, was that Final Fantasy has always had pretty solid female representation, so it was really disappointing when XV apparently decided it didn't need any.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The female character issue is really the only thing I'm worried about but I'm not ready to jump to conclusions based on a trailer that might be the first hour or two of the game.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Cleretic posted:

I had a point but then you distracted me with the prospect of counting, because I am apparently a Chinese vampire.

By this metric, and allowing teenagers to count as 'women' because we're in anime rules here, the only real Final Fantasies are VII, VIII, X, XII, and XIII. If you let female children count, then we also get IV, V, VI, and IX, and... curiously, don't lose any by going above three. So weirdly, you have a point. The only Dissidia that counts is the original, as an aside, because the other two add in more women.

But my point, I think, was that Final Fantasy has always had pretty solid female representation, so it was really disappointing when XV apparently decided it didn't need any.

If you want to count very temporary characters you can lose FF8 by counting Edea. Not that I would, because I love 8. :v:

Importantly, this makes X-2 the truest Final Fantasy of all.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
I feel like there isn't enough talk about the Coeurl with Ultra Greatswords for whiskers! I feel like those are the biggest they've ever been...

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Cleretic posted:

4 counts Rydia twice to get three, and 9 has four counting Quina.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Bruceski posted:

I wouldn't count Quina.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012

Bruceski posted:

This Porom erasure will not stand.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Bruceski posted:

Nope, Rydia, Rosa and Porom. I probably should've just said girls.

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

Jetrauben posted:

Apparently, Yoshida said back in 2019 that:

That's...not promising.

Actually it sounds great.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

NomChompsky posted:

Actually it sounds great.

I guess I just don't see why. ISO standard medieval fantasy exists, in obnoxious abundance, elsewhere.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Bruceski posted:

Quina is officially genderless, like all Qus are

(gender-specific game mechanics treat them as male, but that's probably just a case of "well Quina has to go somewhere or this whole thing explodes)"

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I don't get why people are acting like it's some betrayal to not have machine stuff everywhere. Outside of airships there was very little technology in most pre-6 FF games, and even in 6 the magitech ended up not really much of a thing after you completed Vector.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Every mainline FF has offered something different in terms of aesthetic and fantasy/sci fi theming. If this one is going for pure fantasy without magitek I'm happy to trust the team with that notion.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011

stev posted:

Every mainline FF has offered something different in terms of aesthetic and fantasy/sci fi theming. If this one is going for pure fantasy without magitek I'm happy to trust the team with that notion.

It's really not just the "pure fantasy," though. What I'm getting really bad feels about is more the way it feels like it's chasing the Witcher/GoT/Dragon Age style of gritty and unglamorous fantasy instead of wondrous and exotic phantasmagoria.

I really don't want more of that vibe bleeding into places it isn't the dominant feel. Cause right now I'm getting a bad, bad "we totally wanted to do the Witcher, you guys" vibe from the environments and outfits, the focus on a single playable character and the sort of generic Stilted Fantasy Dialogue About Kingdoms and Betrayals and Obeying Orders.

Jetrauben fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Sep 17, 2020

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

bentacos posted:

This Porom erasure will not stand.

How did I forget both twins when listing characters? I AM one.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Jetrauben posted:

It's really not just the "pure fantasy," though. What I'm getting really bad feels about is more the way it feels like it's chasing the Witcher/GoT/Dragon Age style of gritty and unglamorous fantasy instead of wondrous and exotic phantasmagoria.

I really don't want more of that vibe bleeding into places it isn't the dominant feel.

I just didn't get that vibe much from the trailer. The nighttime scenes at the end maybe, but the first half was very bright and high fantasy-ish looking to me. :shrug:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Jetrauben posted:

I really don't want more of that vibe bleeding into places it isn't the dominant feel. Cause right now I'm getting a bad, bad "we totally wanted to do the Witcher, you guys" vibe from the environments and outfits, the focus on a single playable character and the sort of generic Stilted Fantasy Dialogue About Kingdoms and Betrayals and Obeying Orders.

I like that we've moved on to criticizing the dialogue in a four minute trailer very clearly edited together from different scenes.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I'm looking forward to FFXVI when it comes out, which will be never, shortly after FFVIIR-2 which is also never.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Are you just not allowed to write a story where a character's a soldier because you can't talk about following orders? I legitimately don't get the gripe here.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I dunno, it seems like the setting is Type-0 mixed with Tactics minus the magitek. I doubt there won’t be exotic locales just because the trailer didn’t show them in its four minutes.

I’m excited for intrigue

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011

Blockhouse posted:

I like that we've moved on to criticizing the dialogue in a four minute trailer very clearly edited together from different scenes.

Look, it's all we got.

Trailers are designed to sell you on the experience of the game. They are a pitch. If the trailer is not representative of the game then it's not doing a good job as a trailer!

This pitch so far feels worryingly like somebody wanted to make some thing that was a significant departure from a lot of the series' central hallmarks of mood, visuals, and character concepts. That's worrisome, at this stage! Literally the only reason I have to be optimistic at this stage is who the producer is.

The trailer looked like a Witcher knockoff with no indications it isn't gonna be about a Grizzled Dude With Stern Duty. There are precious few indications that a lot of things that I would rather like in FF, like, say, party members who are not cishet males, will be there!

Blockhouse posted:

Are you just not allowed to write a story where a character's a soldier because you can't talk about following orders? I legitimately don't get the gripe here.

It's so far looking worryingly reminiscent of Wannabe GoT fantasy is my point.

Jetrauben fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Sep 17, 2020

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Jetrauben posted:

Look, it's all we got.

Trailers are designed to sell you on the experience of the game. They are a pitch. If the trailer is not representative of the game then it's not doing a good job as a trailer!

This pitch so far feels worryingly like somebody wanted to make some thing that was a significant departure from a lot of the series' central hallmarks of mood, visuals, and character concepts. That's worrisome, at this stage! Literally the only reason I have to be optimistic is who the producer is.

You could just say "I don't like it" instead of acting like a series that reinvents itself every installment reinventing itself is some kind of existential threat to the franchise, especially a project helmed by one of said people who has more or less revived said franchise and a guy who made a cult classic banger of an RPG.

Naoki Yoshida is not here to piss all over Final Fantasy.

Jetrauben posted:

It's so far looking worryingly reminiscent of Wannabe GoT fantasy is my point.

But that's not a game of thrones thing! That happens in all kinds of fiction! You're 100% projecting here.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Jetrauben posted:

Look, it's all we got.

This pitch so far feels worryingly like somebody wanted to make some thing that was a significant departure from a lot of the series' central hallmarks of mood, visuals, and character concepts. That's worrisome, at this stage! Literally the only reason I have to be optimistic is who the producer is.

The series’s hallmarks of mood, visuals, and character concepts don’t exist. They vary, wildly, and always have

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

stev posted:

I just didn't get that vibe much from the trailer. The nighttime scenes at the end maybe, but the first half was very bright and high fantasy-ish looking to me. :shrug:

I got that vibe from the first half of the trailer, and I didn't even watch the second.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
If GoT has a kid that turns into a giant fire monster and it fights a big phoenix, I may need to actually watch it.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

I don't get why people are acting like it's some betrayal to not have machine stuff everywhere. Outside of airships there was very little technology in most pre-6 FF games, and even in 6 the magitech ended up not really much of a thing after you completed Vector.

Yeah the earlier ones tend to go with "ancient civilizations had scifi tech but it's all gone and forgotten now, except conveniently this one thing we need". The flying fortress in I is a space station in the original but was changed into a flying fantasy castle in all the remakes which was an extremely bad move IMO, IV has a dungeon that's a giant robot and a literal actual spaceship, V has the Ronka Ruins and everything to do with them (Soul Cannon etc)

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I watched the trailer again and honestly it kind of gives me Kingsglaive vibes

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Did that trailer really remind anyone of the early FF games? If you had to pick a previous game to compare it to it'd be Tactics not any of the pre-FF6 games.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Did that trailer really remind anyone of the early FF games? If you had to pick a previous game to compare it to it'd be Tactics not any of the pre-FF6 games.

And even then, it was considerably less colorful than Tactics was. Honestly it looked so generic Western RPG.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

XVI Cid is going to be some madman talking about transistors and wrenches and you're just nodding and thinking "I just want a trebuchet for this airship, old man".

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
if you made a list of the iconic FF things and listed them from most cool to least cool summons would top the list so a game where the combat is all about them is perfect, imo

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I didn't say it reminded me of the pre-FF6 games, just that having technology be front and center and ubiquitous is not a mandatory part of a Final Fantasy game.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
people in the ffxiv thread are saying it gave them heavensward vibes and I can't say I disagree

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Jetrauben posted:

And even then, it was considerably less colorful than Tactics was. Honestly it looked so generic Western RPG.

Please define "generic western rpg" in a way other than "thing I don't like"

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
it didn't remind me of any wrpg I've ever played

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Like ok there's mud and stone buildings and people talking in British accents.

But there's also air juggling huge dudes that jump 200 feet in the air and giant ice ladies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

That doggo looked pretty great too.